The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why do people want quick games that are over in a matter of minutes?

I've seen this a lot from both sides. Survs who gen rush, killers who just want to 4K as soon as humanly possible, survs who get angry at other survs for doing anything other than sitting on a gen or running the killer all game, but my question is: why? I've had games go by so quickly that I barely manage to even safety pip on top of not getting any decent amount of bloodpoints out of it, and I've seen people straight up say "I want to win as fast as possible". Is winning all that matters? What about BP or pips for a sense of progression, or simply just the fun of playing the game? Do people really love playing Lobby Simulator that much? I don't want to sit on a gen all game; I like exploring, I like grabbing things from chests and cleansing totems. It isn't a race, you don't need to obtain your objective as fast as possible, so what gives?

My opinion? Forget that nonsense; open chests, do bones, meme around and throw pebbles while the killer is looking directly at you because, hey, why not?

Comments

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,184

Same reason people like rocket league. It's a quick 5 min game that you can fit multiple games in before you have to go and do something. Who wants to come home from school play 2 30 minute games and have to go to work. People would rather come home have 8 10-15 minute games.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2022

Well, when I play surv I often spawn right near a gen and start repairing within the first 5 seconds of the match.

This morning my first match I hopped on a gen, saw the Blight bump across map chasing someone and before they could down someone I finished the gen.

Theres nothing the killer can do rly because he started a chase with a Feng and downed her but I was on gen so fast it was done.

The game is designed to go fast, and in fact, they put end game collapse to stop them from going longer than normal. This is why so many killer perks slow the game down. Devs know its this way, but give us perks instead of addressing it such as the early game collapse they talked about and then disappeared.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Becuz of toxic players. My friend is so toxic, if I don't play sweaty as his teammate, he will get angry.

If I'm not there to carry his game, he switches to killer role, camps and tunnel the survivors to annihilation and feel good about himself.

He gets a huge ner when angry survivors sends him hate messages.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I just wanna win.

• noctis129

This!

This is exactly it. Killers don't care if survivors did 1 gen or no gen. They just want to annihilate the survivors to oblivion and move onto the next game to again, annihilate the survivors to oblivion and win.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

Because it's how this game is designed.

Just like in chess, you don't see people playing meme oppening because it's a competitive game, so they want to win and if you give them checkmate in one, they will go for it.

It's not because of toxic players, it's because it's a competitive game that is designed to go fast with a slug at the end, when killer is clearly winning.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

I like to get about 2 gens down before I start messing around. It also kinda depends, if the killer is really good I like to get more gens down in case people start dying left and right. But especially if its a slow, killer isn't finding anyone type of match I'll mess around and get cleanses, or maybe give them a chase and hook.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,201
    edited May 2022

I mostly approach it as a PVP game. I'm trying to win and optimize it. What's fun for some people isn't fun for me and vice versa. Games usually solve this problem by having quickplay and competitive options. DbD tries to take a one size fits all approach and nobody is really happy with their teammate/opponent playstyles or skill levels

• TAG

I didn't say I wanted to win as Killer. I just wanna win, regardless of which role I'm in. I don't care if it's fast or slow, as long as I win.

• noctis129

U literally just said "regardless of which role I'm in".

Which includes the role of the killer ....

• TAG
  • noctis129

It seems like u really want credit for the survivor. Here:

Survivor wants to do gens and leave so they can go onto the next game, to do gens and leave, becuz they wanna win.

There u go.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited May 2022

I just want to interact with the killer and get into chases as a survivor, and while I don't like being camped usually I can get away with second chance perks. And if I get tunneled, I'm still at least spending time doing anything other than afking on a gen. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it but you know, I feel like sometimes there's too little focus on fun chases in this game these days. Either that be with anti-loop killers, poor map design, or game balance as a whole. Somewhere on the way "winning" and "perfectly balanced" games became the emphasis and it ruined so much fun I used to have.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Because competitive games are fun.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

I guess we will never know why people want to win when playing games. It's a mystery honestly!

• TAG

I don't want credit for either side. You're twisting my words to say something I didn't.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

I love longer games myself, but I feel more mechanics need to be implemented before it can feel rewarding to play a long session. More rewards, a third stage in the game outside of the gen repairs stage and end game collapse.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

Honestly, I like the randomized approach. It feels very.... horror gamey I guess? Sometime you get a nice easy match where you can basically farm. Sometimes you are literally fighting for you're life and regretting changing your fourth perk to try something else. I think it keeps us on our toes.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

As a killer I’m not “racing” to win but I also don’t spend a lot of time doing things other than my main goal, namely trying to kill the survivors. I’ll break things since that helps me out, and I’ll collect Rift challenge props because why not? 🤷‍♂️ But otherwise I’m not interested in goofing around farming points or whatever.

I think the ideal game length is about 10 minutes more or less. Too much faster and it feels like a stomp for whoever won, much longer and it feels like it’s dragging in a stalemate.

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

I want to make sure me and my team escapes asap because often, if the killer wins, they smack on hook, slug for 4K and become toxic. Don’t wanna deal with that.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

Personally, I only ever really throw on meta perks when I've dug myself into an MMR hole and I only ever get terrible teammates and facecamping killers.

I'm not going to go easy on my opponent/s, but I'm not going to go for world record 4ks/4escapes either.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

I guess the beauty of this game is that you can adopt any playstyle you want within the limits of the game itself. Just do not mind how others play and play how you want. If you want to play competitively, you can. If you wanna do side objectives or meme around, you can. Anything is viable to do if you have fun doing it as long as it is not cheating or exploiting.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

Killer still usually has more control in these situations if he is decent. If survivors gen rush, playing dirty as possible is the answer camp/slug/tunnel. But when survivors are really weaker. You don't have to slug them hard or tunnel one out. You can try to hook everyone twice before killing so then it's not total blowout well some games still even are after that.

• noctis129

I just agree w u. I'm not twisting anything. I agree, that u just wanna win. Ur the one who is twisting.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

winning quickly and efficiently feels good. blitzkrieg, blitzkrieg. blitzkrieg, BOOM

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

If you die in dbd you die in real life

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583

For survivors : because the longest you are in the match, the higher the chance something goes wrong.

For killer : because you are pressed by time and if by any chance you snowball, it's likely the survivors will not make the same mistake twice. (And sometimes they'll hide for the rest of the match.)

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

There are a lot of players who's mindset is winning = fun.

Just watch how they melt down post game or on the forums because they didn't get their "fun" when often what they are saying is they didn't get their win.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I need games to end fast because my internet is being shoddy and I ain't want to get a DC penalty, ayy.

• TAG

Nowhere in my original post did I mention Killers or Survivors or wanting to win as fast as possible so I could go to the next game ASAP and do the same. You added all that yourself. So no, you don't agree with what I said.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

I do not usually run gen slowdown perks anymore. If survivors can get 5 gens done I usually open the gates since I do not run end-game perks. This means I have trained myself to 12 hook by the time 5 gens are completed and any dilly-dallying on the part of the survivor team will just give me extra time. I go into a trance and frenzy and many times I am surprised there is nobody left when I hook the last person.

I now understand that faster games are an advantage to both roles. More matches mean more BP and more XP since scoring categories are capped.

• noctis129
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by noctis129 on
  • RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

Some people care about winning more than playtime. I personally prefer a balance of both.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

Because it's the game. When I play survivor, I want the games to go as fast as possible because if I'm not farming items or doing challenges I'm banking on my teammates doing that. As killer, I want to kill as fast as possible because that's good pressure. Very rarely do I want to take my time.

I like my games to be around 10 minutes long. There are a few rare games it goes well under that but I find that on average, I'm right about at that mark when I play the way I do.