Why Do Survivors Hate Facing Trickster?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

It's...weird to me. He's not a strong killer (Huntress and Slinger are way scarier).

About all I can think of is that Tricksters are often insanely toxic - but that's way more true of Bubbas and Doctors.

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• StarLost

Yeah, I don't know. I don't mind facing him at all, unless he's camping (but that's true of a lot of killers) but I get DCd on constantly the second people see it's Trickster.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,243

I can only think of two things:

Most Tricksters run the bouncing knife add on which makes his power feel spammy

He extremely effective proxying or hard camping hooks in dead zones or inside of 3 gens. That's certainly the way I play him. And he's not very strong elsewhere. Hard countered by pre-dropped high wall tiles.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

A)very feast/famine killer

B) game play pattern is boring. hit 2-3 knives, get to the next area, repeat until health state secured

C) pop korean musicians have no place in horror according to some people

D) he trips some peoples gaydar, so he makes some people irrationally angry but they won't admit it openly

those are the most common ones I see.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022

Mm. I play a roaming Trickster, as I find he can get hooks fairly consistently (it can take a while, but they're going down eventually) with Pain Resonance.

The weird thing is that I play a lot of killers that can camp better than Trickster - Hag, for example, and I still see maybe twice as many DCs on Trickster.

A. Yeah, but I'm not sure why that makes him hated.

B. I find there's actually a lot of nuance to playing him well, as knives can slip through all sorts of gaps.

C. Yeah, he does stick out a bit. It felt like he started as a Joker reference, but someone decided 'hey, let's make him a K-Pop idol' and it all went downhill from there.

D. He's glam :) Never been sure why people associate glam rock style as anything less than manly as hell.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

His aesthetic and his power. Easy mode Huntress, with backup Main Event camping always a possibility just in case.

• StarLost

Huh. I find Huntress way scarier, and often a better camper. She's also a million times easier to play, due to her hatchets having a much more generous hitbox and you can chew through healthstates.

Trickster is devastating in open fields or long corridors, and that's about it.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Aside from iri head (which limits her to one hatchet at a time), she can only get up to one possible health state with a cool down. Trickster? Depending on how many blades he has and his closeness to Main Event, the camping value ceiling is pretty high. No cool down between injuries, plenty of forgiveness for missing, etc, etc.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,905

Because they don't know how to run to taller loops to basically invalidate his power.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

This. Also as someone else said it’s feast or famine for Trickster and his opponents. Not engaging. Dodging Huntress and Deathslinger on the other hand is engaging even if they are more powerful.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

Survivors only like playing against killers they can loop for 5 gens and teabag

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809

Survivors tend to DC and whine on killers they don't want to learn how to play against.

I watch few Trickster mains streamers and it's hard to see a game where people don't dc on sight of them.

but it's not only for him, many Bubba/Doctor games start with 1-2 DCs just because people didn't get a killer they can loop for 5 gen and then BM into oblivion.

Their weak excuse it that they're boring to play against. Do you think that facing the same 4 perks on survivors 24/7 isn't boring? Suck it up and learn to play.

Then there's that smaller part of community that bashes Trickster just for his appearance, cuz he's pretty and colorful and "doesn't fit", when they proceed to jump around as bunny Fengs. Hypocrite much.

I don't play Trickster (yet), but i find watching and facing them really enjoyable. I just wish that whenever my solo Q throws me into the game with swf vs Trickster, they wouldn't dc together just because they don't like the killer

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016
    edited June 2022

I hate playing against trickster... But I'm a trickster main.

Post edited by IlliterateGenocide on
  • bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

People still play trickster??? I haven't seen one in ages :/

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2022

Trickster is a flashy murderous kpop star that looks hot so of course lot of people try to play him.

Unfortunately Trickster has a very high skill floor so most play cheap and proxy/face camp and it works well for Trickster.

Those kinds of Tricksters ruin the fun for survivors. A part of me wishes BHVR would find a way to make camping not so effective for him.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,264

His knives speed are too fast to think of an escape route, loop etc.

I still find it difficult to play against a good Trickster. 

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 345

Because survivors hate ranged killers

They'd rather face baby sadako all day long than a decent trickster/deathslinger/huntress

Because, you know, the tbag, the "meme" at the expand of the killer player

I always get insulted one way or another when i play these killers "camper, tunneler, noob, toxic"

Oh and basically, trickster nullify dead hard so it reminds them that they arent actually good without dh

Imho

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,954

Yes, you have to play really mean to get anywhere with Trickster.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,577

If that were true, survivors would absolutely despise Huntess and Slinger.

The primary reason people dislike Trickster is simply that he’s just very dull to face and annoying to play as.

But keep up the us vs them, that’ll definitely not cause anymosity.

• Souplet

Oh you mean... like complain a lot to get a b tier killer nerfed because it wasnt fun to face ? Yeah that would really be terrible. Oh wait did anyone said deathslinger ?

Guess what, i had a lot of fun with deathslinger and i have a lot of fun with trickster so dont "people dpnt like to play as"

Survivors despise facing ranged killers and thats a fact you cant deny

• Deferlo
    Deferlo Member Posts: 131

I don't like going against him because every time either my teammate give up or i get face camped. I have nothing against the killer himself, but it's starting to become boring when it happen every time.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

Yeah it's really strange they didn't make him more about his music and using the screams of survivors to influence his power similar to Oni rather then having a version of Huntress or Deathslinger that is more spammy and makes zero sense for the character. Things like hits or hooks would influence his power thus encouraging him not to camp (people don't scream much on a hook).

What it actually does I dunno but it could have some effect with the terror radius similar to Doctor as he plays tunes to freak out the survivors or give himself a buff of some kind. Having him basically be an Oni/Doctor blend wouldn't be 'great' so the effect shouldn't be screaming but some other form of debuff.

I mean it's easy to say something is crap but designing something good, engaging and also not something that can get looped for 5 gens is not easy.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,766

Most of my points have already been raised but I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that strength and fun are not mutually exclusive. You can have good, fun killers (Oni, Billy), and weak, unfun killers (Trickster, Slinger). You can have bad, fun killers (Sadako, Wraith) and good, unfun killers too (Nurse, EU Blight players)

• Icaurs
    Icaurs Member Posts: 542

I would rather VS Huntress, despite her being objectively stronger, because I am able to implement skill and game knowledge to avoid hits. Even if it is much harder, it feels far more rewarding.

As oppose to trickster, whose only real counter is to use the fact that he is a 110 killer to pick a direction and keep running. Looping at pallets actually gives him the advantage. So yes he is easier to beat, but is far less rewarding. Also he is very easy to play, making it difficult me to respect tricksters. Killers who can't play Huntress, play Trickster.

• alpaca_boyyy
    alpaca_boyyy Member Posts: 190

He’s just annoying af.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

I mean this forum users hate Nurse saying she is "uncounterable".

And hate Blight because nowadays many people play him and say his addons are "busted"

Now Trickster? Do any of you think he's near either of them?

Boring to go against? What a lame excuse.

What about saying nerf all killer with that logic? Seriously.

• Souplet

Well it is what survivors wants with legion and trickster, just as they did with deathslinger

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,026

Yes, he is not strong, that's true. It's not the concept of the killer itself that I don't like either. It's more the way most people play the trickster that annoys me. Face camping, proximity camping and tunneling. Same goes for huntress.

Good point.

• hatchetChugger
    hatchetChugger Member Posts: 442

I can not believe that you think trickster is harder than huntress.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

Honestly he's just boring ? I mean I literally just launched DBD expecting to play for a couple of hours, had two tricksters games in a row and closed the game. They weren't playing particularly sweaty, I escaped both times along with most of teammates and had a couple of decent chases but those two games were enough to bore me into closing the game.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

I'd argue it is probably due to map design and how it could potentially complement or destroy his power. If the map has a lot of dead zones, his power is significantly stronger and survivors feel weak to face against him because his time to down immensely quick in those situations. However, if the map spawns a ton of high walls and weirdly structured rocks, Trickster takes a ton of time trying to, if he can, down the survivor in these situations. He also punishes altruism quite easily which could be difficult to face against. Like when facing Legion, you kind of need to spread out to avoid having multiple downs or injures in an area. However, his ability to shut down altruism sadly makes him a good pick for campers and gives him a bad rep.

I still play him because I think he is both fun to play as and against, but I may be one of many. I personally think he has interactive chase gameplay as you loop quite differently with him than with others, but I feel the map type can either enhance or diminish this feeling.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    edited June 2022

The frustrating part about Trickster is not his strength. It's the fact that if you vault a window you're dead, fake the window you're dead, vault a pallet you're dead, fake the pallet you're dead, drop a pallet you're dead, run through a pallet you're dead, being in the open you're dead, being at a short loop you're dead.

And if he misses a few knives, no biggie because he has 5 million more. Even tho he's a 4.4 killer, you don't really outrun a Trickster if you happen to be caught at the wrong place. There is no real counterplay to him. I mean sure, you can break LOS and hold W. But how fun is that?

And the most annoying part... He's laughing at me...

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Easy mode Huntress? By most accounts he’s statistically worse than Huntress.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I don’t get it, all killers get you down eventually. If a killer can’t get you down eventually then they’d obviously not be good enough mechanically to be in the game. And from what I can tell good Deathslingers and Huntresses get you down even more quickly.

Is he “boring” to go against because he can’t actually down people really quickly?

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

I don't really understand the issue. Having to run trickster differently hardly sets him apart from the multitude of killers who have to be treated as a special case in chase. I find the idea that people are out here trying to just make an off-the-cuff statement that nobody enjoys playing him even more farcical. While I know it's ultimately subjective and I want to respect their opinions, I can't help but suspect the motives of the people offering up those arguments. Maybe there's some scourge of basement tricksters out there that I've never encountered.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

He is weak, garbage, boring and annoying killer to face. Games against him are unfun.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

There’s a lack of counterplay and that is pretty boring.

Because I know some snarky little ######### is gonna say: “just go behind a wall lol”…

Here’s an example of what I am talking about: Huntress has to take time to ready a single Hatchet, aim at the Survivor, and then hit them. BUT, she can only throw one, if she misses there’s a cost and penalty, and the Survivor can duck behind cover because she moves super slow while holding one out.

Trickster on the other hand takes about as long to ready a Blade, but there’s no penalty for missing, he has 44 of them so the cost doesn’t really matter, and the Survivor can’t duck to avoid Blades at a debris loop like they can against a Huntress because Trickster can not only move fast while holding his Blades out, but he can also continuously throw them above the Survivor while wrapping around the loop.

Also, getting hit a bunch of times and trying to outlast the Laceration is next to impossible. You have to avoid taking a hit from a single Blade for 15 seconds, and then you have to wait another 10 seconds or so for the Laceration meter to deplete. So at a high wall loop, all Trickster has to do is loosely follow you, hit you a single time, and then all your “counterplay” is gone. He can keep doing that until he eventually fills up the meter and damages you.

Boring.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

What's your point even? Oni, huntress and plague are strong killers too and nobody or very few complain about them. Your argument doesn't make sense at all, it's just pointless generalization and whataboutism

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,168
    edited June 2022

A lot of the same reasons people hate Bubba:

If you're in the open against this killer, you're basically dead before you make it anywhere

If they decide to camp you, it's very hard to get out of the situation if you're the one hooked. Basement is super strong for this killer when main event is involved.

Without certain perks some tiles are very hard for them to win, which is why some Trickster's run Bamboozle (A perk that some people really do not like)

• Malicius
    Malicius Member Posts: 15

Every trickster I come across plays as dirty as possible. Not saying they can't, but why continue a game like that?

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968
    edited June 2022

as a killer main is not skillful at all getting a down on somebody by a killer that is just spaming m2 untill you go down at any loop (if the loop is not taller) , knife spamming is boring for both sides. (trickster can pretty much down even a insane god survivor with almost no effort if you just follow get a couple of knifes on the survivor repeat over and over , YES , it takes time but that it you just OUTPLAYED the survivor by spamming knifes only............. good for you.

other than that i think his cool in terms of skin design , but his gameplay is just ....BRUH.