LGBTQ+ Representation in Horror and DBD

Options

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,561
    edited June 2022
    Options

No retconn happened.

if you still think it’s a retconn then legions tome retconned Julie and Frank to be straight and in a relationship. So the question arises - why have a problem with David but not with Legion.

also you can just say LGBTQ+, with the plus you make sure to be aware there is more not directly mentioned in the acronym

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Just because I only say LGBT doesnt mean I dont include queer and whatever else. A lot of the letters added after LGBT are terms that were already included in LGBT.

No crossdressers are not part of the LGBTQ+ community. Being a crossdresser doesn't mean you're queer. Being a straight cisgender drag queen doesn't mean you should be included in a marginalized group either.

You can go home and take off your lil makeup and costume and just live with your privilege, transgender people and gay/bi/etc can't afford that.

"AND SAYING A CROSSDRESSER IS A CISGENDER IS ALSO NOT REALLY THAT ACCURATE", so yes you did say they are trans. If they aren't cisgender it means they are trasngender. You are lying and being transphobic by implying being transgender is equal to putting on a costume.

• Mooks
    edited June 2022
    Options

You can go home and take off your lil makeup and costume and just live with your privilege, transgender people and gay/bi/etc can't afford that.

many LGBTQ+ people can do the same. Especially bi people that are in a heterosexual relationship - which doesn’t make them any less bi.

"AND SAYING A CROSSDRESSER IS A CISGENDER IS ALSO NOT REALLY THAT ACCURATE", so yes you did say they are trans.

only true if you deliberately ignore everything else I said. I said I don’t believe that there is only cis- or transgender but it’s more like a spectrum from my pov. And I directly stated I don’t think crossdressers are transgender.

so the fact you are still trying to twist my words to accuse me of transphobia speaks volumes. (Edit: but nice to see you keep throwing around labels)

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Bi people who are in a straight relationship can't just delete their mind and suddenly only be attracted to the opposite gender, so no, it is not the same as taking your clothes and makeup off.

Your POV isnt the same as scientific POV. You either are cisgender, or you are transgender. Transgender also including people on the "spectrum" which are nonbinary people. Nonbinary people aren't considered crossdressers either.

I'm not twisting your words though, I literally quoted you, you're just backtracking now. What speaks volumes is again other LGB people thinking it is ok to talk over trans people and compare us to crossdressers. I wish I could say I'm surprised but at this point I am not.

• LegendaryPain
    LegendaryPain Member Posts: 8
    Options

Eh, I don't mind. Just as long as it stays in the lore and it's not obvious to the point that it's comical in the design or cosmetics - relatability is important. If they do go in that direction, then I really hope the characters they create won't be so shallow or basic just to not offend anybody, and they are actual interesting characters outside of their sexuality - which is why I think David works as the current LGBT rep, since his sexuality is just another interesting angle to his character instead of his sole conflict.

• Mooks
    Options

No you did not only quote me. You literally ignored my POV and considered yours the only truth and therefore said I must have meant crossdressers are transgenders even though I said I don’t think that.

And we are not talking about crossdressers in the sense they just wear it once for a giggle and then don’t think anymore about it. We are talking about crossdressers who while still being cisgender like to dress gender- on-conforming and for whom it’s part of their individual person.

you are the only one making comparisons between crossdressers and trans people. I specifically mentioned several times see crossdressers as part of the LGBTQ+ community while they are not part of the T.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

I don't mean to intrude, but I think there's a misunderstanding happening here where the other user is assuming that a crossdresser most likely identifies with more groups than just being a crossdresser and you're just addressing the situation that someone is just a crossdresser. I think the other user is thinking that a good portion of crossdressers do identify with either being queer, gay, or nonbinary, which by this classification would make them a part of the LGBTQ+ group. I can see your point that if someone is straight and cisgender, that if they're just cross dressing for "fun" they wouldn't necessarily be grouped as being LGBTQ+ (unless you consider them an ally if they are). I definitely do not condone the people who just fetishize crossdressing/trans people or crossdress for jokes. I can see why this deeply offends you because it is disrespectful to make light of this situation. The grey area that I see with cross dressing and being cisgender/straight is that this type of person can be marginalized because of taking part in this type of lifestyle, but again, I feel like someone who cross dresses usually will be either queer or somewhere in the + part. It's definitely odd to imagine someone deciding to cross dress who's cisgender/straight because this behavior isn't usually done by someone who identifies as both of those, so I see your point in not including them generally.

• Mooks
    Options

I am definitely talking about crossdressers who are not doing it out of funsies or due to a fetish (which I already clarified) - but I do mean crossdressers that see this as part of their individuality/lifestyle and are probably partly non-binary or at least in some extent queer or part of the + kind the LGBTQ+ community.

as for Drag Queens/Kings I also think they are part of the + , as they are strongly associated with queer/gay culture and are being marginalized for that.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734
    Options

Oh yeah, I definitely agree personally that if you are deciding to cross dress as your lifestyle/fashion choices, you most likely fall under some category under the LGBTQ+ umbrella. I feel like there are very rare occasions where this happens and they don't at least find themselves queer in some aspect.

I also totally agree that Drag Queens/Kings will be part of the LGBTQ+ community. They are generally chastised for doing what they do (even if they don't identify as gay/queer themselves). Plus, usually they are queer/gay so they are just part of that community for that reason. They also usually are beacons for the community, so I personally view them as being part of the LGBTQ+ group by default (as long as they're serious of course).

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,658
    Options

Also a slight correction + very off topic, Elix uses they/them out of drag and she/her when in drag iirc (labeled as "She/They" on twitter)

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    edited June 2022
    Options

While I respect your view, I think you are missing the mark when it comes to LGBTQ+ people not being considered "normal" or "equal".

I personally take issue with comments like that because it makes me wonder if you truly understand the messaging, and the why this "attention" part is needed. It goes a lot deeper than a video game and a company making a stance on the issue.

I don't think people like myself (LGBTQ+) are looking to feel "normal", only accepted for who we are. Being treated normal would mean that people have already accepted us for who we are. Without prejudice, without fear of judgement or even violence... none of which is currently happening around the world.

For me, the fact that the devs made a simple message stating their stance on the matter on twitter, followed by the addition of David's lore in making him a homosexual character... and the fact that we are still having a discussion today is just baffling to me.

There is obviously still a problem when the forums erupt simply because the DBD lore now says there is a gay character in-game and the developers who they themselves employ LGBTQ+ people and are in support of them, want to have something to say about it.

It just proves that a lot of people are only comfortable as long they don't have to face this "reality" that one day the game might have a character of a different sexual orientation besides heterosexual. Currently the only attention I see being hyper-focused on is the one where people can't live with that reality.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,732
    Options

Why do you think making an announcement means they are ham-fisting it into their media?

I doubt I have seen a more progressive Video game Company than BHVR, for what they can do as a company, they support the LGBT+ community, they believe in mainstreaming it, why should they not announce it?

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    edited June 2022
    Options

Well, yes. Because the lack of orthodoxy within these movements means that something can be both simultaneously praised for being x while also being demonized for being x - it's a perfect lose/lose situation these days, as you cannot appease a base that doesn't actually know what precisely it believes or wants.

Lara Croft was an icon of the genre, and not once did anyone at the time go 'oh wow, a female main character that kicks all the butt!'. Because that just wasn't something people were especially concerned about. Hell, I've always played female avatars, and it's only within the last...maybe 5 years that anyone called attention to it (apparently it's 'massively problematic' for a straight, cisgender male to play a female avatar in World of Warcraft...urgh, that was some ridiculous guild drama).

You say 'rabid'. I say 'irritated'. And it's not because these characters are female, POC or LGBT, it's because this tends to be hyperfocused on to the extent that it becomes the entire focus of the story, often to the detriment of the game, comic or story as a whole.

There probably hasn't been a time when this was completely normalized, but it was definitely a bit less...well, arch than it is now. Again, this is my opinion, but the way to normalize something is to just have it be there, not call a massive amount of attention to it. This was the case with the L and the G, with the rest of that acronym being...difficult, as even within progressive movements there are about 10 different variations, with many of the identity groups themselves being the subject of contention.

Okay, let's dig in here a bit. Again, I'm trying to balance being blunt and not offending anyone, so please read with a charitable mindset.

You are...partially correct, but I think that you're getting things a little out of order.

'Acceptance' is a point on...well, what I'm guessing is that path you're looking for.

It usually goes:

Tolerance -> Acceptance -> Normalization.

You can demand tolerance - in that people won't take actions to stop you from enjoying your identity, but may not agree or be fully comfortable with it. Acceptance and normalization are something that will occur organically, over time.

If you start attempting to bypass tolerance and instead enforce acceptance, it seldom goes well, because it often ends up feeling forced.

I don't think that hyperfocusing on this stuff, and particularly the endless and often venomous criticism or wokescolding of media for not being 'diverse' enough (or worse, 'diverse but not in the way I personally approve of' - see the Cyberpunk drama, Batwoman, MHA etc.) is productive, and may actually work against you - because when people are confronted by extreme criticism/attempts at cancellation for even well intentioned attempts at placation or inclusion, they tend to become resentful.

Also - prejudice? Sure. As long as we are talking in a legalistic sense (you can't demand that anyone thinks a specific way, only how they act). But 'fear of judgement' - that's ridiculously subjective. I don't think there is anyone in the world who doesn't at least partially fear judgement in some sense. And as for 'violence around the world'...I'm not sure that's within the scope of what anyone can demand, because there are large parts of the world where violence is horribly common and there are deeper societal issues that need to be fixed before this stuff is even on the radar.

Beware Kafkatraps - using the criticism of an action as the justification for that action, because that tends to devolve into circularity very fast.

Again - I think you're inferring a negative intent where there is none. I'd say that the vast, vast majority of gamers don't really care about their character's sexual orientation outside of RPGs, because it's not relevant to the game at all in, again, almost any game. When this stuff starts being introduced, it very quickly becomes a minefield (again, see Cyberpunk or Batwoman) and everyone loses.

• Mooks
    Options

Not gonna talk about Lara Croft anymore - i still don’t believe that there wasn’t criticism for her as a female heroine in a time were women were mostly damsels in distress but I do see that I don’t have any evidence for or against this claim.

And it's not because these characters are female, POC or LGBT, it's because this tends to be hyperfocused on to the extent that it becomes the entire focus of the story, often to the detriment of the game, comic or story as a whole.

thing is.. people against inclusion are always making a fuss over this ‚hyperfocusing‘ and call out one simple tweet among hundreds of others.

and yes I say rabid as I have seen plenty of people just here on the forums going on against inclusion and representation on ways that can’t be excused as irritated. Please don’t try to justify those people. I agree there are some among them that are meaning no harm and may be ‚irritated‘, but plenty of them are just people full of hate trying their hardest to use ‚reasonable‘ arguments against inclusion.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

I'm...not?

I'm just saying that, from where I'm standing, these are a ridiculously small minority of the people talking about this, and could very well just be individuals poking the bear (see: trolling).

The majority of people seem to be saying...roughly what I'm saying - if you enjoy this, then more power to you - but wouldn't it have been better if this had been a little bit more organic? Also - this seems to be the antithesis of normalization.

Also also: yes, I say 'hyperfocusing' for a reason - because this suddenly becomes the only important thing about the character.

At best, that leads to clumsy storytelling - and at worst sends the discourse around that media product off in all sorts of silly directions (see the 'queer erasure' stuff about David 'not looking gay enough', or how making him gay is an insult because he's not a totally new character etc.).

From the outside, it looks like there is just no way to win here - if you make a 'diverse' character, then people immediately start insisting that you make them 'diverse in the right way' - they can't have flaws, be unlikeable, or have any connections to anything that might be considered 'problematic', can't be portrayed by an actor that isn't 'gay enough' etc.

Once again, my best examples of this outside of DbD would be the Mineta thing from My Hero Academia: after it became popular in the west, fans demanded an LGBT character, but when the author revealed that a specific character might be bisexual, it caused a huge backlash because it was 'the wrong character':

The Cyberpunk ad, where a massive social media firestorm was kicked up because...it was problematic for trans people to be linked to corporate capitalism - in a game all about parodying corporate capitalism (this resulted in a bunch of stuff being cut from the game)

Or what happened regarding Batwoman:

Do you see why, from the perspective of an outsider, this might all seem a bit...well, a bit of a purity spiral?

• Mooks
    Options

It’s not a minority sadly, and it’s not just trolling.

i really would love to live in a world where this was the case. But sadly it’s not this world, at least not yet.

i really can’t say much about those other video games and how they managed it and how the community reacted.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495
    Options

I specifically hate it when a character isn't "gay" enough . I mean, I know their is some typically "gay" fashion, but that doesn't mean David can't be. He's a big buff tough guy, and they can be gay as well. He's doesn't have to be very effeminate or anything.

I wasn't aware of Mineta, but honestly, he would annoy me because he is the joke character in the show I feel. :/ I'm like yeah, the one that is a joke has to be bi?

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

He's definitely the humorous character, but I found that he got fleshed out really well as the series progressed. And him being bi was actually a very interesting wrinkle, due to his past behavior.

The problem isn't so much Mineta, as it was the ridiculously vicious reaction to the reveal. But this is exactly what I'm talking about - 'we need an LGBT character' far too often becomes 'we need an LGBT character that is the specific character I want, and if you do anything else I'm going to have my 50000 followers call you a massive bigot on your Twitter feed and hassle your publisher'.

How is it not a minority? I just glanced back at previous posts, and I'd say that 95% of the posts about this were either celebratory or, at absolute worst, neutral like myself.

This may sound blunt, but I don't think that you'll get this sort of world until the LGBT etc. 'community' becomes a bit more orthodox (in that they actually get a definitive, majority consensus within their movement as to what they want, who their movement includes and who it doesn't) because, again, from the perspective of an outsider, it looks like there is literally no action that can be taken that some aspect of the community won't go ballistic over and start attacking people - which tends to reflect badly on the entire movement and makes people unwilling to even try.

Beyond this, you can't have both normalization and endorsement. Endorsement explicitly means exceptional, and exceptional is never normal.

• Mooks
    Options

those posts get deleted, even on Twitter plenty of posts got deleted. And there are also those people that outright state they don’t speak their opinion to avoid punishment.

but for someone claiming that it’s just a minority you are quick to blame the lgbt community for something that could also be blamed on a small but vocal minority..

• StarLost
    Options

Sigh. And this is why I hate getting drawn into these discussions - because, as here, people can be incredibly uncharitable and will start inferring a negative intent where none exists.

But okay, lets try again.

I'm not 'blaming' anyone.

I'm simply trying to demonstrate how this looks from the perspective of an outsider.

The issue isn't that it's a minority or a majority - it's that there doesn't seem to be a majority within these movements. That's what I mean by orthodoxy. It's one of the weaknesses of this new incarnation of 'intersectional solidarity' - which these days seems to mean 'I have to defend my 'team', even if I don't agree with what they are saying, or at least refrain from public disagreement'.

Again - this wasn't a few posters on a forum. This was thousands of people harassing an actress for 'not being gay enough' to play Batwoman, a mangaka for making the wrong character bi and massive media outlets like Kotaku and Polygon crucifying a game designer for...you know, I still don't fully understand the 'why' there. They just had a beef with CDPR. And they only people I saw disagreeing with them were centrists.

Also - you can't use a void as an argument. If you are asserting that there is a significant number of people who are as 'rabid' as you claim, and I can't find many, you can't just turn around and say 'well, there must have been but they were deleted' or 'well, they aren't saying it but I know that they are thinking it'. As I said - as someone who tends to be in the 'neutral' camp, there was at least as much pushback from progressives on making David gay (because it wasn't the exact representation they wanted) as there was from people who didn't want a gay character, if not more.

• Mooks
    Options

Sigh. And this is why I hate getting drawn into these discussions - because, as here, people can be incredibly uncharitable and will start inferring a negative intent where none exists

will agree to that as it happened several times to me in this very thread. Though you haven’t been drawn into it by anything but yourself.

there doesn’t need to be a majority. There will always people praising and hating on anything anyone does within a community, this can’t be stopped. Holding that against such a diverse community as a whole is unfair.

again, I am not talking about batwoman or any other kind of specific representation outside of BHVR, I am currently mentally and physically not even capable of reading into every bit of it. I am talking about David King and inclusion of LGBTQ+ in DbD as that’s the topic. It’s obviously not done perfectly and some kind of constructive criticism is expected and needed. But just looking at the forums and twitter I can tell you it’s been hatred without any reasonable basis and not just from a small minority, but plenty of people. and I am not saying they must have been deleted, that’s a fact, it’s stated kn the rules that these kind of posts will get deleted and result in a ban/warning.

also pick up a mirror. You started this whole argumentation about minority/majority and they supposedly not being rabid (your word that I just used for the other side) but ‚irritated‘. Where is your claim?

also also, that pushback (again, can you backup the claim it’s at least as many as people not wanting a gay character) could very much just be false flagging as well.

• Johnny_XMan
    edited June 2022
    Options

How is it that you feel that BHVR is enforcing acceptance based on an announcement about their stance in support of the LGBTQ+ community?

Literally they only made an announcement and added to David's lore, and people are acting like they are going to hold some grand same-sex wedding where the entity is officiating the ceremony and the rest of the survivors are holding rainbow flags and it plays as soon as you open the game. You keep using the word hyper-focusing as if somehow BHVR has forgotten that there are other elements/characteristics about said character, which is not true.

I think there are things that you will never understand unless you have actually experienced them for yourself. So when I bring things up like "Fear of Judgement" I am not alluding that other individuals do not in some way, shape, or form experience it. I am simply emphasizing on the fact that this particular group is experiencing it on the daily by simply existing. So no, I wouldn't even attempt to compare seeing as Gay sex is still illegal in 68 countries, and punishable by death in a dozen. Saying "well there is horrible violence in many parts of the world" sounds like strawman.

I am not inferring negative intent. What I don't like is when people think that because they don't understand the messaging of something it is easier to define it as "loud attention". I could not care less if gamers cared or didn't care that a character has a sexual orientation. This means something to the community that I belong to, and in my opinion it gives people more visibility in a world where there is already enough hate.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

You're absolutely right in that there doesn't seem to be a majority within these movements. I think thats why there never seems to be satisfaction as a community because when one thing happens it'll never be enough for someone else in the community. When one character is made gay, then someone else will want a trans character. When they get the trans character, someone will want a non binary character and so on. Honestly I feel like many companies who try to represent the lgbt community don't fully understand it themselves and I can't blame them when everyday there seems to be a new acronym, pronoun, gender, sexuality, etc. added to the community. Who can keep up with this and understand it all when its constantly changing? I do agree with you in that the lack of orthodoxy within the lgbt community hinders them from having common ground on many things they stand for.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options
  • Mooks
    Options

I can't blame them when everyday there seems to be a new acronym, pronoun, gender, sexuality, etc. added to the community.

you are so careful with your words, please also avoid making these false claims which could otherwise be twisted into something you would never say

also about the changing inside the community… it’s just a community full of diverse and individual people. Blaming them for individual takes is really… unreasonable. Especially for someone identifying by their faith, or do you want to get judged by every direction of those that say they have the same faith as yours?

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

I was merely pointing out the possibility of confusion when companies may genuinely want to be supportive and representative of the lgbt community. I'm sorry if I said it the wrong way.

I don't want to be stereotyped for my faith so I distance myself from those directions/denominations that claim the banner of my faith. I'm not part of a community revolved around it. If I may ask, do you think orthodoxy within the lgbt community would be a good thing for it?

• StarLost
    Options

Yeah, we're going around in circles now so I'm going to draw this to a close here.

I'm using the other stuff as an example of what I'm talking about, as this is one small part of a much wider discussion regarding the increasingly toxic discourse and reactions around progressive inclusions and alterations to media within nerd culture.

Again, I'm not holding anything against anyone. I'm just pointing out what seems to be a pretty damn clear problem.

My...claim? I already said it, didn't I?

BHVR? I'm not...well, I could, but that would unfortunately require me to refer to things that would violate the forum rules, as per moderation decisions (I literally can't be any more descriptive without putting my forum account in jeopardy).

I meant this, again, as part of a wider discussion on this stuff as it pertains to media right now.

Who...exactly is acting like that?

I'm not saying BHVR are hyperfocusing exactly (although they did make more of a fuss over this than I would have).

I'm saying that certain parts of the community are, as per the 'this is an insult, you didn't give us an original LBGT character' or 'David is queer erasure, as he doesn't look gay enough' discourse, and at a macro scale, far too much of the media consuming public who identify as progressive are too heavily focused on this stuff.

As for the rest:

• I hate to tell you this, but you can't demand that you be made to feel a certain way. All you can demand is that nobody take any discriminatory actions against you. You can't police what other people think, and you certainly can't police how other people make you feel. Because nobody gets to do that, ever. Not in any sort of free society.
    • Now, those countries you are referring to - let's get more specific. What sort of cultural/political systems do they have? Are they remotely analogous to liberal western democracy, or are they ultra-conservative theocracies in the Middle East and Africa? What are human rights like as a whole in those countries and how is a videogame in the west going to alter this (considering that in many, any secular media is defacto illegal?) No, I'm not trying to strawman anyone - but I think you're missing the forest for the trees. These countries need substantial reforms in terms of general human rights and governance, but that can only come from within.
    • I think that you've just made my point for me. I'm saying that any overt messaging of this nature is counterproductive, because - as I said - any endorsement of an identity exceptionalizes that identity, and you cannot be both normalized and exceptionalized.

It's a very complicated phenomenon that's probably outside of the scope of this thread, but it comes down to:

• Social media allowing a following to form around what would usually be a fringe ideological nucleus.
    • The push for 'intersectionality', which often comes down to a purity spiral where you can't be granular in your beliefs and goals, and are either considered an ally or an enemy based on even slight deviations (I've literally seen the 'if you aren't with us, you're against us' chestnut whipped out multiple times this year on Twitter).
    • The push for 'solidarity', which, combined with the above, tends to be interpreted as 'if you don't agree with me, you have a duty to shut up and pretend you do'.
    • The normalization of the progressive stack as a concrete, applicable concept.
    • Interpreting even the most minor disagreement as evidence of bigotry.

I guess that being an old-school, 'can't we all just get along?' egalitarian makes me a bit of a dinosaur in online spaces now, but it really doesn't look healthy from the outside.

• Mooks
    Options

It obviously depends on what kind of orthodoxy we are talking about. But in the end it doesn’t really matter what I personally think about it as it’s not really feasible - or if it’s feasible to some extent it wouldn’t be enough to satisfy whatever it’s supposed to satisfy here. There will be LGBTQ+ people against it and it’s their right to be, it’s not like them existing is in any way forcing them to abide the rules of a community.

• Mooks
    Options

@StarLost

I guess that being an old-school, 'can't we all just get along?' egalitarian makes me a bit of a dinosaur in online spaces now, but it really doesn't look healthy from the outside

you really have no clue how exclusive and destructive it has been (and in many ways still is) for LGBTQ+ people in this world, do you?

you are now focusing on the toxic parts of the LGBTQ+ community while ignoring the toxic parts of the anti-LGBTQ+ people without realizing that this anti-movement has been the norm for like… ever?

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

Wait, are you saying that being an egalitarian is *exclusive and destructive*?

I'd really like to know...how. Because, in my opinion, an ideal world is one where nobody really cares about this stuff at all, and consenting adults are free to do whatever they want with other consenting adults - and that the only way we'll ever get there is to move past all of this, and let the finer details take care of themselves either organically or, where needed, in the courts.

If this is going to be 'well, egalitarianism is individualistic, and thus perpetuates capitalism, which is problematic', thing, then I'm going to bail right here.

I'm focusing on these parts because they do seem to be a blind spot for the LGBTQ+ community. Again, when these 'toxic elements' pop up, I don't see all that much pushback from inside this community - and this leads to the perception of endorsement.

I'm also not sure if there really is any sort of anti-LGBTQ+ movement in the modern west anymore - can you give an example of an current 'anti' group large or orthodox enough to be considered a movement? You get the occasional fringe bigot, sure, but aside from that - the only examples I can think of are regarding topics that are contentious even within LGBT circles (dating preferences, representation, nomenclature, pronouns, the biological reality of sex and gender etc.).

EDIT: I guess you could consider certain ultra-conservative and rather insular religious communities to be anti-LGBT, but...let's not open that can of worms.

• Mooks
    Options

Wait, are you saying that being an egalitarian is *exclusive and destructive*?

not at all, but you referring to old-school seemed and talking about how it’s getting more and more toxic from the progressive side seemed like you were actually thinking it’s been closer to this „all getting along together“ world sometime in the past. Many people that are requesting inclusion and representation just want that after all.

Also, I don’t see how it’s a blind spot of the LGBTQ+ community? Like.. no? This community is not one single person and there are many within the community talking out against those toxic parts. Maybe we found your blind spot?

I'm also not sure if there really is any sort of anti-LGBTQ+ movement in the modern west anymore

you are kidding, right?

• StarLost
    Options

Then...what exactly is exclusive and destructive?

I'm not sure what else you could have meant besides 'egalitarianism'. Still not clear on this one. 'Old school?'. Well, yes, I'm pretty old and come from a different generation, but I'm not sure how that's exclusive or destructive either.

And yes, I do think that we were doing better as a society in terms of this stuff even a decade ago than we are now. I'd have to dig up the study, but - for the first time in a lot of generations - college students are less accepting of different identities than they were in the past, and the #1 reason given was the activism surrounding these identities, particularly online activism, which I think also comes down to how dominant the idea of intersectionality has become and how poorly this works out outside of a purely academic setting.

But...okay - let's test that assertion. Look at probably the biggest and most widely known example I gave earlier, the Cyberpunk ad. Quite unambiguously toxic, from several very progressive and very large media groups. Who, specifically, was talking out against this from within the LGBT community?

Regarding the 'movement' thing, again - let's get more specific, via some sort of concrete, preferably secular example. Because I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

"I'm also not sure if there really is any sort of anti-LGBTQ+ movement in the modern west anymore - can you give an example of an current 'anti' group large or orthodox enough to be considered a movement?"

Ohio has just passed a transphobic ban allowing for a statutory right to inspect the internal and external genetalia of a minor to check they are biologically male or female. I don't think I really need to explain how this is both transphobic and also incredibly dangerous for children in general.

Are you actually kidding me?

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

Give me a sec, let me look into this one.

EDIT: Okay, let's dig in here, because what this bill actually is and how it's being reported is entirely different.

• There is no 'statutory right' to anything along those lines.
    • People are spinning Section 1: C. as this, but what it actually says is that - if there is a dispute regarding the gender of a prospective athlete, it will be settled by a doctor's note, which is in turn just a refinement of the existing legislation - adding the requirement of a medical professional to be involved and also physical/genetic criteria as opposed to a less controlled hormonal test.
    • It's really just formalizing the definition of 'sex', in terms of it not just being hormonal.
    • The way this is being described makes it sound like the school is going to be inspecting kids, it's nothing at all like this.
    • The bill also clearly states that if any student suffers any sort of harm or is even deprived of 'athletic opportunity' gets to sue the pants off that school.

The rest of this is just wrangling over the trans sports thing, which is a very contentious issue right now, even within the LGBT community and I don't think anyone can categorically state what is the right or wrong way to handle it, as it's weighing individual liberty against concerns of fairness.

I'm...not sure how this is evidence at all of any sort of 'anti LGBTQ+ movement'.

• Mooks
    Options

And yes, I do think that we were doing better as a society in terms of this stuff even a decade ago than we are now.

this take is exclusive and destructive for many people in the LGBTQ+ community - especially those not part of LGB.

if someone uses the activism as a reason to not accept people for their sexuality orientation/identity then I don’t know what to tell you but… those people would have another excuse for their hatred anyways.

and again, I have told you I am not invested in this other stuff - even not Cyberpunk. This whole discussion is already going off topic but you are constantly trying to drag it even further off. But I am sure there were LGBTQ+ people speaking up against it.

as for movement, there doesn’t have to be a single named group. I am sorry but if you don’t see homophobia/transphobia in your modern western world then I can not help you. You deliberately choose to not see it.

• Mooks
    Options

Then maybe take the ‚parental rights in education‘ bill from Florida which in varied form is also making its way into many other states.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

Okay, then let's avoid the Cyberpunk thing - I was really just trying to give you a chance to prove your assertion, because it was a much bigger event than the others we were talking about.

Regarding the rest:

• I'm still not sure what specifically you mean by 'exclusive and destructive'. Can you specify?
    • Yes, the 'T' is the current fracture line - because it's a topic that even the LGBT community can't seem to agree on even the basics of, or even what the terms being used actually mean. Is gender dysphoria a disorder, or is that bigoted? If it's not a disorder, then how do we quantify it? Is identifying enough, or does there need to be some sort of hormonal or medical intervention to qualify? What accommodations should be made societally? There needs to be some sort of agreed upon ideological foundation before we can even start talking about representation and other granular societal changes, let alone what constitutes being bigoted against it.
    • People are people. Human beings are evolutionarily hardwired to categorize based on the behavior and actions of others within that category. When people are extensively exposed to what you described as 'toxic elements', be it them demanding that things they like be changed or cancelled, harassing people or saying/doing bizarre things and see no or minimal pushback, then - yes - that is going to create a barrier to acceptance. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying that this is how the human animal functions. It's not always fair - but it is what it is, and you aren't going to change that.
    • Regarding the movement - that was your assertion, not mine. And yes, for a 'movement' to exist, there has to be some sort of named group, otherwise you may as well be hunting witches. As I said, yes - there will always be isolated incidents of bigotry, but a few swallows do not a summer make. You'd either need to find something objectively bigoted and systemic (which wouldn't be a movement, but it would certainly be worth discussing), or you'd have to find a specific group.
    • I think that we are probably going to be using a very different definition of 'phobic' in this regard - as, talking systemically, the LGB have equal rights under the law in the modern western world, and - aside from a few granular, often nomenclature related issues still being litigated - have had them for a while. The 'T' is a lot more difficult, because it's quite new to the mainstream and even progressive groups aren't quite sure how to approach it definitionally, let alone define what constitutes being 'transphobic'. Not that this stops that word being thrown around or being used to shut down discussions or paint people as bigots - hell, I've seen people called transphobic (and literally 'immoral') because they weren't pansexual, or didn't want a partner with specific genitalia.

You mean the 'DSG' bill. That's another one which is very different from how it's being reported. Always, always go and read the bill yourself, because both left and right wing media right now are 90% spin.

All it basically says is that very young learners (kindergarten age) do not need sex ed, and thus education about sexual identities of any sort has no place in a classroom full of 5 and 6 year olds. That seems...pretty common-sensical to me.

Now, you can disagree with this assertion, but even if you do - it's in no way targeted at any specific ideology or identity.

• Mooks
    Options
    • i mean that the world we are living in the way it is can be very destructive towards LGBTQ+ people, everywhere in the world, obviously it’s been getting better in the west but that doesn’t mean it’s in any way good or doesn’t need to get better. And acting like it’s been better a decade ago is just ignoring the actual issues.
    • Regarding the ‚T’: Maybe first of all we should accept that there are transgender people and they don’t deserve to be hated/discriminated for their existence.
    • As for movement, maybe you are focusing on the word itself way too much; there are plenty of people outright hating/discriminating LGBTQ+ people in the modern west. Can you agree on that or is that already something you would say isn’t true?
    • LGB people don’t have equal rights everywhere in the modern west. That’s just not true. And it’s not just a few issues in the way…
  • Mooks
    Options

All it basically says is that very young learners (kindergarten age) do not need sex ed, and thus education about sexual identities of any sort has no place in a classroom full of 5 and 6 year olds. That seems...pretty common-sensical to me.

i have read it and it’s way more direct than you are making it out here and going above kindergarten age.

they are writing about sexual orientation but we all know that heterosexuality is still not really being treated the same here. This is against LGBTQ+ and not against sex ed.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

Mm. Let's take a look here, because there are some interesting points.

• Religious institutions are a very tricky one, let's avoid it - because...yeah, it's a can of worms and religion based discussions never end well.
    • Ah. You use the word 'sentiment'. I think that's dangerous, because what you're essentially talking about is what people think as opposed to what they do - which in terms of a 'movement', would have to be systemic and would need some sort of concrete goal.
    • I don't care about 'think', at all. I care partially about 'say'. What I care primarily about is 'do'.
    • You can definitely call someone who takes a bigoted action a bigot (yes, that's circular, but only for the sake of brevity). You need to be careful when you call someone who says something a bigot, because this often comes down to language being an imprecise tool - charity is always essential. But...sentiment? Yeah, I'm hesitant, because this is where you start getting into 'coding' and the like, and it all gets very subjective.
    • As for the rest, let's go one by one.
    • The UK has a huge schism between two very loud and very radical groups...what I'd probably describe as the Dworkin/Bindel style radical second wave feminists (often lesbian separatists who, yes, tend to be...pretty out there and genuinely seem to hate anyone who isn't a cisgender lesbian) and a hyper-progressive, very esoteric subset of trans activists, with a lot of others being caught in the crossfire (let's not start in on a specific children's author...). I don't like either of these groups, due to both the viewpoints they espouse and the tactics they use, which include intimidation and outright violence. If you want to view...what you'd probably call TERFs (actual TERFs, not just a shorthand for 'disagrees with trans activists) an anti 'T' movement then - sure - but now we're getting into very odd territory, as we're using an LGB group as an example of an anti LGBT movement, when before it seems that the implication was a more conservative group.
    • I love to dig into the world, which is why I spend...probably too much time talking with people online about this (if I didn't, why would I be doing what I'm doing right now?). But I am a rationalist, and I like to be right. Which means that I'll always test assertions and claims out, and poke at things that I don't fully understand.
    • I think we talked about the conversion therapy thing in another thread. As with...far too many things, it's not what is being reported, at all.
    • 'Gender critical' refers to, from my understanding, accepting that someone can transition in terms of gender but not in terms of sex. Unless you're meaning this another way - I don't see the problem with this perspective, the 'biological sex is a social construct' discourse is pretty fringe.
    • The DSG bill isn't an attack on LGBTs at all. There is nothing targeted about saying that conversations about sexual identity don't belong in kindergarten, and even if you disagree with that assertion, it's a hell of a stretch to somehow paint this as homophobic.
    • Trans sports is a contentious topic even within progressive circles, and I don't think that the vast, vast majority of the disagreement here is bigoted - it mostly comes down to concerns over fairness.
    • Lee V Ashers is a very complicated test case, as it comes down to compelled speech versus freedom of expression, particularly religious freedoms. I don't see this as any evidence of bigotry. Saying that you can't discriminate is one thing, but saying that you are legally compelled to publicly *endorse* an ideology, particularly one that runs contrary to your religious beliefs - that I'm iffy on. EDIT: What bugs me about this case is that it was contrived - this was an activist who deliberately set out to trap these people by asking them to do something they knew they couldn't do, as this would violate the tenets of their faith. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, considering that freedom of expression is a lot less concrete in the UK.
    • R v Brown and R v Wilson...I disagree with the verdict here, but there is nothing in any way anti LGBT in these cases, as this applies to all extreme BDSM acts, and this was further codified in R v Emmett. Note, I'm not a scholar on UK law, but we - bizarrely enough - covered this stuff in my Criminology studies way, way back in my uni days.
    • Again - out of your examples, the only one I'd agree with being 'anti LGBT' is the LGB alliance, and here we have an LGB group infighting with a 'T' advocacy group. As to the rest, we've got 2 bills that aren't, the sports issue which is massively contentious even within LGBT circles and three court cases which are, respectively, a religious freedoms/expression issue and a BDSM specific issue.

Okay, let's dig down.

• What, in your opinion, would a world that isn't destructive to LBGT folks look like? Be as specific as you can, and remember that 'world' doesn't mean 'the west'. How would you go about achieving this? Conquest?
    • I'd happily say that I think that this stuff was, as a whole, better a decade ago - because my goals are purely egalitarian. Equality based, not equity based.
    • I don't think anyone rational would say that transgender people don't exist, or that they deserve to be hated. I don't think that this has ever been the dominant mindset, or as GBK would say, 'sentiment' in the modern west. It comes down to: exactly what does this existence entail, and what accommodations should be made, weighing both the interests of transgender folks and the interests of others.
    • You used that word, which is why I chased it.
    • Define 'plenty of people'. Because discrimination is illegal, so if it's happening - you can sue the pants off whoever is doing it. The only contentious issue is the 'T', as we've discussed, and we're several steps away from even being able to accurately define what this sort of discrimination would look like - because we still can't really define what the 'T' actually means.
    • Yes, they do. But I'll give you a chance to elaborate here - can you name me a single legal right that LGB folks don't have that straight folks do have, that isn't currently being litigated or doesn't come down to semantics?
  • Johnny_XMan
    Options

I'm not even sure what you mean by the first sentence. I just asked a simple question, because BHVR being in support of the LGBTQ+ community isn't forcing anyone to accept gay people. I am sure (as it is evident) there are plenty of people who play DBD and still have an issue with LGBTQ+ people.

Also, just because people have suggestions after the announcement doesn't mean they are hyper-focusing on only identity. The announcement was about their (BHVR) stance on showing/allowing/including more diversity etc etc. So, would it not make sense for someone to suggest content that is related to that announcement? I don't see the issue with that. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with what BHVR does, that has been made clear.

Nobody is asking to "normalize" anything. If you think this is an attempt to do that, you are way off. A game including a LGBTQ+ character isn't going to change how uneducated and bigoted someone might be.

I feel like at this point BHVR has made it very clear that if they want to make a fuss about it, they will. They have every right to do that as a company. That isn't saying YOU should do that as well or you should feel that way as well.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

I don't think so. Unless you think that disagreeing with a specific item or act of activism means that you are automatically considered bigoted against LGBTQ+ folks, I'm not sure if you can get from one to the other here. Again - disagreeing with them making a song and dance about a gay character doesn't mean you have an issue with LGBTQ+ folks.

Yes, I think they are. I'm not talking about suggestions here, I'm talking about the folks that said that 'making David gay is queer erasure because he doesn't look gay enough' and the like. If that thread is still up, you can probably find it using those exact terms.

Uh...yes, it is an attempt to normalize this stuff. What else would it be? I'm fine with normalizing this stuff - because, again, my ideal world is one where this stuff isn't a big deal. I just don't think that this is the way to do it.

Regarding the last, you're...actually somewhat incorrect, but I can't really respond to the last without breaking forum rules. Regardless, yes, it's their forums and their game. But this doesn't mean that I have to agree with them, or that I can't think that it's a well intentioned but ultimately counterproductive attempt.

EDIT: Anyway - this has been an interesting exchange, but I've spent way too much time on this today. Going to go and attempt to be productive now, we can pick this up tomorrow if you'd like. But I think we've hit the point of the discussion where we're out of fertile ground.

• Mooks
    edited June 2022
    Options
    • What does my opinion on how a non-destructive world for LGBT folks looks like have to do with any of this? And conquest? Really?
    • It wasn’t better. I believe you when you say you think it was better, but you have made it very clear you are not really including trans people in this at all. And still even for LGB people it wasn’t better overall. See the next point:
    • ‚Discrimination is illegal‘ doesn’t really mean that it’s not happening or that you can successfully sue for it. Discrimination takes place everywhere against LGBTQ+ people all the time. It also takes place against women, different ethnicities, religions etc. I really envy you if you think it doesn’t happen or isn’t a problem. But I do believe that you actually think it is because you somehow live in sich a perfect bubble.
    • right of adoption of children and/or marriage for LGB people, it’s really not in all modern western countries allowed, is it? At least it wasn’t in many countries until very recently (and you were talking about how it was better a decade ago)
  • Johnny_XMan
    Options

I never used the word "automatically", nor did I say that someone disagreeing means that they are considered bigoted. What I actually said was that BHVR being more inclusive isn't going to somehow change how bigoted someone is. You are what you eat, and if you were brought up with beliefs that "gay people are bad" No gay character in the history of gaming is going to change that.

I don't think it is "normalizing" as much as I think it's educating for some folks that don't necessarily understand because they themselves haven't gone through some of the things LGBTQ+ people go through. I don't see how that is a bad thing.

I know you can disagree with them, I am with you on that. However, it doesn't mean that they are trying to force anything on anyone.

• StarLost
    edited June 2022
    Options

Okay, last one from me.

• If you assert that the world is destructive for LGBT folks, then surely you must be able to imagine the converse? I said 'conquest', because you said 'world', and attempting to change the world externally - particularly the countries mentioned earlier in this thread - is not something that I can imagine being possible without conquest. It's a thought experiment - useful both for understanding how other people think, and how you think.
    • Yes, I'm excluding the 'T', because it's not something that either of us can speak authoritatively on (and as this thread demonstrates, is incredibly contentious even amongst progressives). We'd basically both be speaking from our own subjective understandings of this issue, which would be completely pointless.
    • Yeah...no. This is the point where you're asserting facts rather than opinions, which means that this is the point where I have to ask for specific examples (or better yet, sources). Let's stick to LGB folks - can you give me three examples of specific cases where people were discriminated against, in the modern west, because of these criteria - that wasn't later either overturned by a superior court or is pending litigation before a superior court?
    • Title IX is pretty comprehensive about any sort of racial or gendered discrimination.
    • Yes, there will always be people who break the law. All you can do is make things illegal - you can't make them more illegal, and thus this is the extent of what can (and probably should) be done from a governmental standpoint.
    • Adoption rights...as far as I know, there is no absolute right for anyone to adopt - it's almost always at the discretion of whatever agency you are applying with, and economic/marriage status is a much bigger determiner than anything else. The adoption/fostering system is badly in need of an overhaul, but that is neither here nor there.
    • That said, adoption is one that is currently being actively litigated, and in every case I've found, federal courts are siding with same sex parents. This is an issue that only the supreme courts of either state or country can really handle, because it's an issue with very little modern legal precedent for even traditional couples (adoption is ridiculously complicated and ridiculously broken for everyone, so claiming any sort of specific discrimination doesn't seem possible here).
  • Mooks
    edited June 2022
    Options

Oh well. I guess there is no discrimination in modern western countries anymore as it is illegal and Mooks can’t name discriminated people directly (as they don’t really want to use their own name here for example).

i guess we just solved discrimination for the modern west! Well done everybody involved!

(just as a hint, the right for adoption for same-sex couples as well as marriage is actually something legalized in most of these so called modern western countries, especially when we are only counting the EU and USA, I am not even that well informed about this topic but my example if you asked for a specific country would have been Poland which you then would probably argue it doesn’t count as a modern western country)

but well, bye, I gotta go as well. Gonna conquest the world as it’s obviously the only way to make the world less destructive for lgbtq+ people.

This discussion has been closed.