Low Settings Users (Said for best performance) Get Screwed Over

With the new Unreal Engine being pushed out for optimization, it ended up leaving Low Settings Users downgrading from 60fps to 30fps, with no real info given out with how this might get fixed, or if it's able to be, with the new Chapter peaking around the corner with its release.

It's disappointing, it's frustrating, it's uninstalling worthy. The current engine is not only not-great for graphics in low settings, (The new engine IS ABSOLUTELY DISTASTEFUL TO THE EYE - NOTHING RENDERS ANYMORE) but buggy too.

I would love to be able to afford a better graphics cards, but I'm a college student with pets and mouths to feed. I don't have the extra money to solve a problem that never was there before.

Comments

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838
    ### dude.
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@Brady that sucks.

• Arsoul
    Arsoul Member Posts: 320

You DONT NEED 60FPS to play a game. Let me guess, teenager that things only 60fps+ games are good regardless of storyline and gameplay?
    Yes, I thought so

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    The same thing happened with the last engine update, I went from 60fps on high to 20fps on low and had to upgrade, the reasons they upgrade at times is more of a need than a want and unfortunately some people can no longer play but there isn't always a fix that can help.
  • Arsoul
    Arsoul Member Posts: 320

@Brady said:
    With the new Unreal Engine being pushed out for optimization, it ended up leaving Low Settings Users downgrading from 60fps to 30fps, with no real info given out with how this might get fixed, or if it's able to be, with the new Chapter peaking around the corner with its release.

It's disappointing, it's frustrating, it's uninstalling worthy. The current engine is not only not-great for graphics in low settings, (The new engine IS ABSOLUTELY DISTASTEFUL TO THE EYE - NOTHING RENDERS ANYMORE) but buggy too.

I would love to be able to afford a better graphics cards, but I'm a college student with pets and mouths to feed. I don't have the extra money to solve a problem that never was there before.

Maybe your PC is just out of date!

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838

Start a GoFund me. I'd pitch in a buck or two.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

It wouldn't be bad if the game warranted the upgrade but lets be honest so far the game has just been badly optimized. Someone posted footage of the console version yesterday and I was in shock.

Have you tried the ptb btw? is it really that bad for you? it actually seemed a little better for me....I think. Hoping it's more optimized but we will find out tomorrow.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Downgrade ur gpu drivers, helped me 
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it.

@Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed.

Hope to see you guys someday again!

• DwightsLifeMatters
    Brady said:

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it.

@Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed.

Why does ur game looks so different? U did some changes in engine.ini or Nvidia settings? That's definetly not how the new engine looks like, even at low and 0% resolution quality 
  • RepliCant

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    Brady said:

Why does ur game looks so different? U did some changes in engine.ini or Nvidia settings? That's definetly not how the new engine looks like, even at low and 0% resolution quality 

Absolutely touched nothing, this is how the game loaded in (at all times) once 2.4.0 patched.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

Well perfomance issues were already known during the PTB and there was thread collecting these issues. I'm one of the people who are dealing now with low FPS and high CPU usage.Sadly I feared this issues won't be gone until the patch hits live. I mean fixing such things takes time.
    Playing Killer is probably unplayable now for me. Especially high movement speed ones, because of the fps drops. Don't know how to feel now. I know my PC was made from used parts back in summer 2017 for like 200€. Couldn't afford more. Can't afford more.
    But DbD was one of these games, which were working fine for a long time. One of the first I bought after getting my PC. It became my main game and I'm on my way to 2k hours in this game. Well I guess I won't reach it this year and have to hope future update will make things better.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    edited December 2018
    Brady said:

Brady said:

Absolutely touched nothing, this is how the game loaded in (at all times) once 2.4.0 patched.

Something is definitely wrong with ur graphics.. Try downgrade ur GPU drivers if u did an update in the past months mate, that's what helped me and other for perfomance issues. Maybe it will fix the graphics aswell
  • RepliCant
    edited December 2018

Brady said:

Brady said:

Something is definitely wrong with ur graphics.. Try some researches mate 

I'm assuming my GPU is out-of-date now, but if that is the case, don't we deserve the right to be informed on the system requirement changes?

This is kinda unprofessional.

Edit; Any advice on what to do searches on? Can't seem to find whether my gpu is compatible or not.

I wonder if there's a place I can formally report this issue or not. Don't know what it'd fall under here at the forums.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

I'm assuming my GPU is out-of-date now, but if that is the case, don't we deserve the right to be informed on the system requirement changes?

Edit; Any advice on what to do searches on? Can't seem to find whether my gpu is compatible or not.

I wonder if there's a place I can formally report this issue or not. Don't know what it'd fall under here at the forums.

I edited my text:
    "Try downgrade ur GPU drivers if u did an update in the past months mate, that's what helped me and other for perfomance issues. Maybe it will fix the graphics aswell"

Also, what is ur graphics card? I'm currently not at home but I'm willing to help as much as I can if u want to. I will be at home in around hours tho 
  • Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Brady said:

@Arsoul said:
    You DONT NEED 60FPS to play a game. Let me guess, teenager that things only 60fps+ games are good regardless of storyline and gameplay?
    Yes, I thought so

It's unattractive to play a game where no textures render, your game is lagging due to dropping in FPS. It's borderline an unplayable state.

@ReneAensland said:
    Start a GoFund me. I'd pitch in a buck or two.

No worries man, I just hope they try to look out for us low settings users, if not maybe my fam back home will be willing to for Christmas ;)

A GoFund me isn't practical, it'd make me feel spoiled.

Not rendering is one thing, but 30fps is absolutely playable. 
  • RepliCant

Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it. @Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed. Hope to see you guys someday again!

I edited my text:
    "Try downgrade ur GPU drivers if u did an update in the past months mate, that's what helped me and other for perfomance issues. Maybe it will fix the graphics aswell"

Also, what is ur graphics card? I'm currently not at home but I'm willing to help as much as I can if u want to. I will be at home in around hours tho 

It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

I'm not too familiar with techy things, so I'm not sure what the effects are of downgrading my GPU if it'd effect any other main games I play (Smite, and Borderlands). I'm also not exactly sure how to. Any help on that would be appreciated.

No worries man, appreciate any help given.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Brady said:

I'm not too familiar with techy things, so I'm not sure what the effects are of downgrading my GPU if it'd effect any other main games I play (Smite, and Borderlands). I'm also not exactly sure how to. Any help on that would be appreciated.

Drivers; not the actual hardware. Sometimes, GPU drivers are buggy and break graphics on some games.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it. @Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed. Hope to see you guys someday again!

I edited my text:

560 Ti is better than mine, so we should be able to get dbd running good again on ur pc. Meanwhile, can u check what Nvidia driver version you have installed? It should be listed in system where u can uninstall programs 
  • Neska
    Neska Member Posts: 132

I have no issues on low settings (I have resolution high though)

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
    edited December 2018

it works awful too with lowest settings on my laptop i7 Geforce GT 650M 2GB, 8GB RAM windows 10

• MrFrost102
    MrFrost102 Member Posts: 8
    After reloging it went bck to how it was but I am not sure how long. Low settings user here 2
  • RepliCant

Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

@DwightsLifeMatters said: Brady said:

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it.    @Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed.    Hope to see you guys someday again!

Why does ur game looks so different? U did some changes in engine.ini or Nvidia settings? That's definetly not how the new engine looks like, even at low and 0% resolution quality  Absolutely touched nothing, this is how the game loaded in (at all times) once 2.4.0 patched.

I edited my text:

560 Ti is better than mine, so we should be able to get dbd running good again on ur pc. Meanwhile, can u check what Nvidia driver version you have installed? It should be listed in system where u can uninstall programs 

I have dxdiag up, a place where it says Drives beside Device. (Where I found info of my Graphics Card)

It says the version is 23.21.13.8813

It also mentions a date (10/26/2017 19:00:00)

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,978

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/32214/update-2-4-0-unreal-update-performance-lighting-feedback#latest

If you could put your information on that thread, with regards to the issue that would be great to help solve this issue for everyone.

In the meantime, please check your graphics drivers. I agree with @EntityDispleased removing them with DDU is the best option to get a clean install, and probably don't use one of the very newest drivers as they seem not to be optimised for older cards.

• RepliCant

@EntityDispleased said:
    Brady said:

Brady said:

Brady said:

@DwightsLifeMatters said: Brady said:

It got worse. Hell, it's lower than 30FPS, absolutely NOTHING renders this time (PTB was better), and now this game is unplayable. I've uninstalled it.    @Not_Queen If only BHVR cared to update and warn users the minimum requirements were going to be changed.    Hope to see you guys someday again!

Why does ur game looks so different? U did some changes in engine.ini or Nvidia settings? That's definetly not how the new engine looks like, even at low and 0% resolution quality  Absolutely touched nothing, this is how the game loaded in (at all times) once 2.4.0 patched.

I edited my text:

The 560 ti can run gta v at normal-high settings at 70-80 fps so I don't see why you're getting such performance. I've noticed similar performance and visual bugs when I uninstalled my physX drivers. You should try using DDU and re-installing your drivers

I'm really dumb when it comes to tech talk - I'm in school to become a Nurse! Lol.

How can I do this?

• RepliCant

@MandyTalk said:
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/32214/update-2-4-0-unreal-update-performance-lighting-feedback#latest

If you could put your information on that thread, with regards to the issue that would be great to help solve this issue for everyone.

In the meantime, please check your graphics drivers. I agree with @EntityDispleased removing them with DDU is the best option to get a clean install, and probably don't use one of the very newest drivers as they seem not to be optimised for older cards.

Hi Mandy,

I'm unable to figure out how to do so. If you could point me in the right direction to either how to, or where to find out how to do so would be great.

• Blade92
    Blade92 Member Posts: 18

Dang. That's unfortunate for you. My PC don't even pass minimum requirements and can run 50+ at least on low. CPU is AMD A10-6800k here.. GPU 1050 TI

• RepliCant

@EntityDispleased said:
    Brady said:

@MandyTalk said:

Hi Mandy,

I'm unable to figure out how to do so. If you could point me in the right direction to either how to, or where to find out how to do so would be great.

Sorry I just got the notification of your reply. I'll try to list the steps on how to DDU as simple as possible.

1. Download DDU off https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html scroll to the very bottom and you'll find download links.
    2. Place DDU in a separate folder, click the 7zip file and it should extract multiple files.
    3. There's gonna be a .exe file in the extracted files, open that.
    4. Pick Nvidia as your graphics card, then click on clean and restart. The program recommends booting into safe mode to avoid issues but I've done it several times without safe mode and it worked just fine.
    5. After your PC restarts, you'll have to install drivers. Go to https://www.geforce.com/drivers specify your gpu as 500 series and pick your windows version.
    6. Open the installer, click custom installation, uncheck everything except for gpu driver and PhysX driver, then tick the clean installation box. You can install GeForce experience as well if you'd like. 

Also what's your cpu? That might be a part of the issue.

@EntityDispleased said:
    Brady said:

@MandyTalk said:

Hi Mandy,

Sorry I just got the notification of your reply. I'll try to list the steps on how to DDU as simple as possible.

1. Download DDU off https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html scroll to the very bottom and you'll find download links.
    2. Place DDU in a separate folder, click the 7zip file and it should extract multiple files.
    3. There's gonna be a .exe file in the extracted files, open that.
    4. Pick Nvidia as your graphics card, then click on clean and restart. The program recommends booting into safe mode to avoid issues but I've done it several times without safe mode and it worked just fine.
    5. After your PC restarts, you'll have to install drivers. Go to https://www.geforce.com/drivers specify your gpu as 500 series and pick your windows version.
    6. Open the installer, click custom installation, uncheck everything except for gpu driver and PhysX driver, then tick the clean installation box. You can install GeForce experience as well if you'd like. 

Also what's your cpu? That might be a part of the issue.

I've tried so, and I;'m about to go into a game to see if anything has improved.

My CPU is also
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,978

@Brady your CPU is below the minimum required specs for the game, which is probably the cause for your pc struggling so much with this update.

@Blade92 although your CPU is slightly below the recommended FX 8210, the advantage that your CPU has is that is actually stronger on the single core than the 8120, and DBD has traditionally been harder on the single core, which is why your PC can probably handle it.

• not_Queen
    not_Queen Member Posts: 1,114

Thanks for the answers Mandy.
    @Brady I will talk with the Producer to see if the min requirements changed with this Unreal Engine update or if it should still be the same, AFAIK, they are still the same. As Mandy mentionned, if you are a bit lower than requirements on your CPU, that might be the reason you are having issues.

• RepliCant

@MandyTalk said:
    @Brady your CPU is below the minimum required specs for the game, which is probably the cause for your pc struggling so much with this update.

It was just never a problem until 2.4.0, prior everything was perfectly fine.

@not_Queen said:
    @Brady I will talk with the Producer to see if the min requirements changed with this Unreal Engine update or if it should still be the same, AFAIK, they are still the same. As Mandy mentionned, if you are a bit lower than requirements on your CPU, that might be the reason you are having issues.

Thanks.

• brock
    brock Member Posts: 305

@Brady said:

I have the same issues too. feelsbadman

• Darktronik
    Darktronik Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2018

I have a i5 2500 (8 years old cpu now), GTX970 (3 years old, I guess) and 8gb ram.

I bought the game on dec 2016.

Back then I usually was playing the game on High settings. Solid 60 fps. Then I was forced to medium. Fine. I don't care for graphics in a competitive multiplayer game. I play pubg on low (bad example, I know).

In between, Doctor chapter came and that freaking nightmare of a map is performance demanding as hell. Fine again.

Since nvidia drivers 4xx and this new engine update, a steady 60fps is not a thing anymore.

I don't mind playing on low but for god sake, these guys are screwing low end players.

No wonder why this game plays like BS on consoles.

Unfortunately, I am playing BF V and a 4xx driver is required. But for anyone that does not play BF V, please, don't upgrade past 3xx drivers.

• RepliCant

@not_Queen said:

Has there been any word?

• Diivine
    Diivine Member Posts: 3

@Brady said:

I recomend you deleting some programs or files that you don't need. It boosted my fps from 39 to 46.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

Windows 10 is the problem haha

• TheRealSlimShady
    TheRealSlimShady Member Posts: 79

@Brady said:

thats exactly the same that's been happening to me,you can check my profile and see my discussions,graphics just don't render and like you,it never happened to me until 2.4.0 or when they updated the engine i dont remember,still not fixed and unfortunately it seems like they have nothing to do,so i quit lol

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

Thought I'd butt into this still relevant ppost I've kept track of; I recently bought the Leatherface dlc, and every time I load into a lobby with him, I get just the shading and coloring on his clothes. After 20 seconds or so, it fixes itself. It happens occasionally when I visit the comsetic shop, but it happens consistently with Leatherface. Is this something I should be concerned about?

• BillyIII
    BillyIII Member Posts: 365
    edited April 2019

Klaatu barada necktie!

EDIT: wrt Leatherface thingie - try defragmenting the drive (drive properties - service - optimize IIRC).

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923

Sometime i wish epic games would make this game having to wait every mid-chapter - chapter update to get performance update this, is a bad business decision. consoles are the one that suffering the most as they can't downgrade/upgrade any performance settings.

The game was upgraded to 60FPS but get heavy frame drops and sensibility for controller haven't been changed to reflect the stability increase. I hope devs will realise that.

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392

30 FPS what? I play with 12 FPS and in some grateful times it ups to 24 FPS.