The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Waving arms while on the hook

I've always taken it to mean "killer is camping or nearby, go do gens", but a lot of others seem to think it's "killer is gone, come save me", is there a "right" answer?

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@HarryToeknuckles said:
    I've always taken it to mean "killer is camping or nearby, go do gens", but a lot of others seem to think it's "killer is gone, come save me", is there a "right" answer?

Some killers might take the waving as a request to be camped :smile:

• HarryToeknuckles
    HarryToeknuckles Member Posts: 158

Ok, that's what I thought, gets confusing with so many people misusing it.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

I do it when no one is coming for me. I start flapping my wings like a madman

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2019

@HarryToeknuckles said:
    Ok, that's what I thought, gets confusing with so many people misusing it.

Misusing? You're trying to say that there's a right way?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

I think it depends on platform. On Xbox is generally "hurry up and save me", though if they start to do it right after being hooked it means "killer is nearby".

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    I've heard it used as a call to rescue, but I see it as a warning that the killer is near.
  • Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 71

The problem with arm waving is that it can indicate to the killer someone is near by, meaning it'll cause a killer who might not have camped to stay in the area to try and find said person.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

It has always meant one thing, and one thing only, “The killer is camping me, stay the hell away and do gens”. If you’ve been mistaking it for anything else, it’s just that, a mistake.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

@Master said:

@HarryToeknuckles said:

Would one of these killers be you by any chance?

Genuine question because you've always defended camping.

• Gamzello
    Gamzello Member Posts: 828

I use it to tell the others that I'm being camped. It rarely works though. There's always that one guy.

Me. Sometimes I just do it for fun while watching everyone else play lmao. It makes you feel like you’re grounded while watching the younger kids play. :^(((
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited February 2019

@The_Crusader said:

@Master said:

@HarryToeknuckles said:

Why would one need to defend camping?

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

@Master said:

@The_Crusader said:

@Master said:

@HarryToeknuckles said:

Oh Master, how I have missed you ;)

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    edited February 2019
    Tsulan said:
    Waving arms means camper.
    Some survivors tho use it to call for unhooks. Which is kinda stupid. 
    Since release it was the only "official" meaning that the killer is (insidious) camping. So whenever someone is waving I don't unhook. Funny about that is the endgame chat "Why didn't you save me you ****??" 
    Yeah, just don't try to reinvent the wheel 4heads lol
  • Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 71

Is camping annoying as hell, yes it is. Is being infinite looped by a skill-less survivor annoying as hell yes. Will the survivor stop and consider the fun of the killer while doing so? No. So Camping does not need defended. You wanna punish a camping killer, do the gens and get out.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    If the killer does a search around the hook I will wave my arms until I can't hear their terror radius/I see them get far enough away. Some killers feel insulted by it so they'll hit me on the hook a few times. All that does is confirm to the team I'm being camped so I'm actually glad that they do it.
  • dannyfrog87
    dannyfrog87 Member Posts: 568

i do it when the killers camping or proxy camping ie patrolling around me. i dont do it otherwise. but seems some others do it for no reason. so yeah lol. boredom

• Dokta_Carter
    Dokta_Carter Member Posts: 614

@Master said:

@The_Crusader said:

@Master said:

@HarryToeknuckles said:

Oh Master, how I have missed you ;)

If it werent for his name being that, i would have laughed hard
  • Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

If you argue why Survivors run around a pallet until they have to break it, rather than just dropping it once and going on, it's to buy as much time possible for the team to work on gens. The Survivors are trying to complete them all and escape, but if the chase only lasts a few moments, their chances reduce greatly.

Ever since the beginning (or close to it) chasing a single survivor is the worst thing a Killer can do. Break off and find someone else. If they run after the same guy, that person goes from pallet to pallet, but if someone else starts getting chased, they don't know which pallets are still around and may be unable to find any. I never run around more than twice, but I also never last very long in a chase unless I can lose them (which is always an exciting moment).

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

It originally meant that the Killer is camping and that's what i'm sticking with. People these days will also use it to signal it's safe to save them.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889
    When I started playing it meant a killer was around and I'll keep it that way. Whether or not the other survivors will "losten" is another story.
  • makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I didn't even know this was supposed to mean anything. I just do it because I'm bored

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

It's hard to say sometimes as there's only one real 'emote' while one is on the hook. Personally, I'll twitch if killer is nearby and grab at the hook when no one's coming for save. People will run for the hook/start heading over when you start grabbing at the hook from what I've found. Generally speaking, of course. I've seen people do it for all kinds of reasons, though. I'll also twitch if the person is about to run into a trap. You typically get one person who's hungry for points, though, which is disappointing. It makes it so that the killer is rewarded for lazy gameplay and yes, chilling by the hooked and not seeking out your victim is lazy. I wish less survivors would reward it.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    It is supposed to mean you are getting camped, this is what people wanted to spread around at the beginning of the game.

It got confusing after a dude made a thread saying "long waves mean camping, short waves mean save me." What is long to others could be short to some and vice versa.

Just wave if he's camping, if not, stay still.
  • TrAiNwReCk
    TrAiNwReCk Member Posts: 246

I use kindred III for this purpose alone. And believe it or not many times more than one will still come for the save or no one will come. This knowing they can clearly see each other and the killers aura within a short range. Food for thought.

• weirdkid5

I use kindred III for this purpose alone. And believe it or not many times more than one will still come for the save or no one will come. This knowing they can clearly see each other and the killers aura within a short range. Food for thought.

I find this doesn't really keep people from standing around and staring at you though.
  • TrAiNwReCk

@weirdkid5 said:
    TrAiNwReCk said:

I find this doesn't really keep people from standing around and staring at you though.

True that. I use it in hopes survivors can be smart about the plays they make. All we can do is hang around and hope.

• weirdkid5

@weirdkid5 said:
    TrAiNwReCk said:

True that. I use it in hopes survivors can be smart about the plays they make. All we can do is hang around and hope.

Honestly I think it's a wasted slot. Smart Survivors will know you're getting camped just from the heartbeat. Makes it useful on Wraith, Myers, and Insidious users though.
  • TrAiNwReCk

@weirdkid5 said:
    TrAiNwReCk said:

@weirdkid5 said:

TrAiNwReCk said:

Honestly I think it's a wasted slot. Smart Survivors will know you're getting camped just from the heartbeat. Makes it useful on Wraith, Myers, and Insidious users though.

I agree, it does seem wasted, but I attempt to play survivor perks less try hardy and more team oriented. Though perks don't always prove their worth when used in that fashion. Kindred, open handed, wake up and empathy to name a few. Not very helpful solo, but if it helps the overall effort.

• Circlesho
    Circlesho Member Posts: 22

@Master said:

@HarryToeknuckles said:

if you're camping 1 survivor that means you get 1/4th the bp and you lose 100% more of your games

• Circlesho
    Circlesho Member Posts: 22

@fluffybunny said:
    It's hard to say sometimes as there's only one real 'emote' while one is on the hook. Personally, I'll twitch if killer is nearby and grab at the hook when no one's coming for save. People will run for the hook/start heading over when you start grabbing at the hook from what I've found. Generally speaking, of course. I've seen people do it for all kinds of reasons, though. I'll also twitch if the person is about to run into a trap. You typically get one person who's hungry for points, though, which is disappointing. It makes it so that the killer is rewarded for lazy gameplay and yes, chilling by the hooked and not seeking out your victim is lazy. I wish less survivors would reward it.

I wouldn't say lazy, it's more braindead. Only people that hard camp while every survivor is working on gens are the new players that want a kill. Nets you no bp and you always lose.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Tsulan said:
    Waving arms means camper.
    Some survivors tho use it to call for unhooks. Which is kinda stupid. 
    Since release it was the only "official" meaning that the killer is (insidious) camping. So whenever someone is waving I don't unhook. Funny about that is the endgame chat "Why didn't you save me you ****??" 
    Yeah, just don't try to reinvent the wheel 4heads lol
    They blame everyone else but themselves. 
    Happens way to often. But not my fault if they are convinced that we don't see them unless they wave their arms. 
  • fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

@Circlesho said:

@fluffybunny said:

I wouldn't say lazy, it's more braindead. Only people that hard camp while every survivor is working on gens are the new players that want a kill. Nets you no bp and you always lose.

I've seen people like that in purple ranks. :/ Of course we did have someone on our team feeding into it, so he was able to get everyone. Too bad, really. I'd still rather seek out my prey rather than have them come to me, though.