Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New Spine Chill change?

Object
Object Member Posts: 50
edited June 2022 in General Discussions

As an active Spine Chill user, I find this perk to be the most effective counter to the most oppressive killers, such as Nurse, Spirit, Hag or even The Artist. These killers tend to be the best, or at least that's what the community says. Is it truly necessary to nerf the whole point of the perk?

Vault changes - I'm sure, that this does not do much harm. While yes, vault speed build is indeed truly strong, but it's not the core of the perk, it's just another utility of the perk people found. I feel like this change would generally contribute to the well-being of this perk and would lower the pickrate.

Direction changes - This makes it absolutely useless in closed maps, or when you are repairing generators in jungle gyms, shack or any closed area. I generally feel like, that Spine Chill is a stealthy perk, commonly used by beginning survivors for better awareness. I like using Spine Chill, because then I know when the killer approximately is and when to hide. If Nurse approaches, I have plenty of time to react, as well as Spirit in phase walk or from which area Hag might go from. It's speculative whether it's as good on Hag, but my point is, it's just a perk that didn't cause ANY harm and to people like me, who uses stable perk build consisting of Spine Chill, BT, Balanced Landing and Bond it truly makes me switch to another build and completely change my playstyle.

This change silently buffed Nurse, Spirit and most S-Tiers killers and I genuinely think, that it's one of the worst changes in the patch, mostly for Spine Chill and stealthy players, who enjoy doing generators.

Comments

• Object

This may not be correct. You still have to look around, to know where the killer is approaching from. You can hide, but where, if you don't know the direction? Spine Chill is the best counter for stealthy killers and oppressive killers. I don't mind looking around me, but sometimes, you have to have the best headset to play this game to hear all the sounds. For me, it's weird, because I don't own any headset and SC makes it easier for me.

• Object

The point is I don't want to switch my build. My build is nowhere near S-Tier build, it's a casual build, that synergizes well with each perk that I have there. I don't run any S-Tier perk, except perhaps Spine Chill and BT, which I often change for Prove Thyself or Botany Knowledge. In my opinion, making me change my build will not help me and make me enjoy the game more.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

Yeah, that's the problem with just having certain perks with super high pick rates. You put them in the build to play more casual and just have 2 "meta" perks and 2 perks for fun/QoL, but because the main playerbase uses them, it gets gutted for everyone.

Although it may not help you specifically enjoy the game more, BHVR thinks that destroying and buffing certain perks will make the overall game more enjoyable. We'll have to see how the game health looks after this update, but we knew they had to do something pretty major to switch things up. That's the problem about a PvP game, one side's enjoyment is usually at the cost of the other side.

At least with the new changes, you don't have to run BT always. You can potentially put in another fun perk in its place. Same with spine chill. There isn't anything super similar to spine chill, but there are a lot of different perks that give you info on the killer/where chase is happening.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

Spine Chill is dead if they don't Nerf their nerfs.

• Mattie_MayhemOG
    Mattie_MayhemOG Member Posts: 315

No one is forcing you to change your build. You can choose whatever perks you want. Spine Chill made stealth killers ineffective so I am glad they made the change.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited June 2022

Been awhile since I was last in the forums, but yeah... Spine Chill got butchered.

I was looking forward for a nerf, but not like this. Stealth killers shouldn't get punished for using their power, so it shouldn't reveal people who are actively stealthed.

But, geez. It didn't need to be gutted that hard. I say just remove the ability to reveal a killer who's stealthed and keep everything else the same.

I say killers who have the ability to stealth shouldn't be revealed with Spine Chill, but stuff that just occasionally snuffs out a killer's terror radius should be affected. That way its just not stupidly annoying for people who are hard of hearing as well

• Object

Yes, they are. My build is focused about awareness of where my teammates are (Bond) along with general knowledge when the killer is approaching (Spine Chill) so I can adapt. The perk does not have any gamebreaking utility, I have never seen people complaining about it, and you can barely see people running Spine Chill, in tournaments nearly never.

My build is entirely focused on Spine Chill and things that synergizes with it, right now, when I switch it with another perk, such as Kindred, it will not have the same purpose. I can choose whatever perks I want, but none of them are my cup of tea, without Spine Chill. That perk basically made me enjoy this game a LOT, made me more productive and honestly would potentially make me quit the game once upon the perk is basically deleted from the game, like right now.

• Object

Couldn't agree more! I have trouble hearing the terror radius myself. I don't have any headset and my hearing is altered. I simply cannot do much, makes me enjoy the game less and potentially makes it unplayable for me. Spine Chill was a must-pick in each build I ran.

• Tryharder
    Tryharder Member Posts: 173

Not really, you play this game long enough maps are predictable and you will know which direction the killer can sneak up on you. Spine chill was just a free head start against any killer

• Tryharder

I don’t use headphones either and I was able to stomp survivors with spirit. Granted I was using the purple amulet and mother daughter ring addon.

• Object

I'm sorry, but I have hearing altercation, as already aforesaid. I do not hear TR properly and running Spine Chill for me is a must-need. Just because you don't have to, doesn't mean I don't have to either.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I used spine chill to mindlessly not pay attention and set up for optimal loops when the killer approached.

Honestly, it needed a nerf, but only against undetectable killers. It shouldn't have worked on stealth killers. Everyone else is free game.

The vault nerf is meh. I personally don't mind, but I see some people losing their minds over it.

I'll probably stop using it, but I only had it because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted in that slot. With all the changes, I suppose I'll find something

• Object

Fair enough, I surely agree. Undetectable killers are too altercated by the perk, which could make unhealthy habit of bringing Spine Chill. I'm sure, that some people did it just to sit on generators, but people like me used it to genuinely have fun and have the ability to enjoy the game while detecting killers efficiently.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,495

Not sure why they didnt just make it so that if a killer is in the undectable status effect it wont work

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

No, they buffed stealth killers. If perk changes are to be consider buffs to individual killers.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Ya. If it didn't work on Undectable only, it would essentially simulate the Terror Radius visually, which would be fine. It gives more info than the Terror Radius, though, but not that much more.

It was also good for determining if the Killer used BBQ since you could see if they looked at you after hooking a survivor. From there, you could counter play on every hook with a locker since you know what's coming.

Against Nurse, it was good for predicting if she was going to blink on top of you. When you hear the charge, look to see if you're the one she's aiming at, and prepare to dance.

• Mr_K

There are more cues to Nurse that you are missing. The edge case that helps you is if she is running perks that hide the terror radius. Otherwise you shouldn't be getting caught offguard against a Nurse.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
  • Object

I don't get your way of thinking, but if it's your opinion, then sure, I won't attempt to alter it.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

So not saying these are the only stealth killers, but it seems the nerfs were made to directly counter Myers and Ghostface, who need to have line of sight to stalk someone. They can get closer now but cannot stalk easily, so I'm confused and annoyed about that part because why make it useless except for two of the killers the nerf should've been for?

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,595
    edited June 2022

I've been using Spine Chill on all my builds since forever. It was taking a lot from stealth killers.

It's still useful to tell you you are being stalked so I may keep using it.

I've thought about your Nurse comment but I got so many takes it would be a long answer.

Could you give a specific, detailed, situation where the perk was saving you and will not anymore?

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

This might be only me but I wanted all meta perks killed like Spine Chill was. And so many other perks buffed. The game really need the shift in meta on both sides.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,951
    edited June 2022

Spin Chill became a perk which told you at any point if the killer was coming for you. Surely you see how thats bad?

Post edited by Emeal on
  • Object

This is not true. Any killer could moonwalk into you once upon detected that you have Spine Chill. Also, many times it gives you false-positives and it's sometimes hard. Often you don't even know which direction the killer is approaching you from. I'm not saying to let the perk be in the state it was, but make it so the effect is not mitigated completely. If we have more and more useless perks, the meta will probably be perks that barely do anything.

• Object

I don't see how Spine Chill was META? I have never seen in high MMR Spine Chill being ran, or very rarely. Those survivors usually weren't good and probably didn't play it as much as their teammates. Spine Chill is nowhere near META, now made into an impractical perk, which totally destroys the idea of awareness.

Meta for the last couple years was running Spine Chill AND Resilience, but that's not solely Spine Chill. If they had depleted the effect of speed vaulting, it would absolutely curtail the usage of this perk.

• Emeal

Yeah, I cant believe moonwalking didn't catch on. Could it be, you literally have to approach not knowing where to go.

How about No thanks to that?=

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

At least oblivious and undetectable perks and addons aren't made useless by one single perk.

• Object
    edited June 2022

You are talking as every single player is utilizing Spine Chill. All right, could you please play 5 games for me and screenshot endgame screen? I'd like to see how many players with Spine Chill will you meet right now.

You seem to UTTERLY miss the whole point I'm creating. You think that my anger towards this change is because I abused the perk. Tragically, no. We are trying to find a settlement, which is what you are repudiating to do for the past two comments you've made.

• Object

This could have been addressed by just simply making it so it doesn't work on perks that alters your TR. Mayhap make it just within the TR, but add it to the ash-heap of other perks that are used just for getting Adept achievement, which Spine Chill can't be used for that sole intent, because it's not a teachable? Comical.

• Mr_K

A buff though. Might not be the perfect buff but Scratch Mirror Myer's got something.

The indirect buff will be less survivors running it.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

Expecting killers to moonwalk 37 meters every time they want to approach a generator is terrible. How would you like it if killers got a perk where the survivor counterplay was moonwalking 37 meters every time they want to approach a hooked survivor? We could say "it has counterplay! You could just moonwalk to every hooked survivor if you don't want the killer to be alerted!"

• Emeal

lol, lmao even

1. No need to waste my time with anything we already know, its about 33% as per the stats.
    2. Whatever you are using Spine Chill or not is irrelevant to me.
    3. We already have a settlement which is the new changes to Spine Chill.
    4. I would advice you not to go on about others requiring medical help because you disagree.
  • Tryharder

Yup, having to moonwalk is dumb, survivor got 3rd person pov with 360• camera control. If the killer somehow moonwalk close enough you will probably see them or hear them. Especially in huge open maps.

• CreeRoyalty
    CreeRoyalty Member Posts: 68

They're nerfing Spine Chill? How?

• Object

You are taking words from my mouth. I didn't say it's the ONLY counter-play, but it's a possible way on how to counter it. Often times it's good.

You are also missing the point, that this Spine Chill won't deal with stealthy killers at all, because they have to have LoS while stalking you, at least stalking killers.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

"Spine Chill will now only activate if the Killer has a clear line of sight to the Survivor. This will remove the awkward counterplay where the Killer must look away to ensure a stealthy approach. 

Next, we’ll be adding a short (0.5 seconds) lingering effect to Spine Chill. This will prevent the perk icon from flickering when the Killer looks around and make the action speed boosts more consistent. 

Finally, we’ll be removing the vault speed bonus entirely, as it does not suit the perk’s nature. "

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

No, moonwalking 37 meters is never good, and should never be expected from anyone. Just because a killer lacks stealth, it doesn't make it fair or reasonable to ask them to moonwalk 37 meters.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I think the spine chill change is good.

• Object

Could you give further amplification on why you think that? I'd like to gather opinions, but made on some substructure.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

I just like the change. I rarely used it but it looks like it will still be a good perk.

• Object

Why? The perk has no usefulness, because it will only dawdle, which allows it to have lots of false-positives, such as Premonition, making it feeble perk.

• Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761

This change was completely needed. No single perk should completely destroy stealth killers with no negative cost whatsoever for the spine chill user

• Object

Do you know what will I say on this? It will now annihilate ONLY stealthy killers. They oblige LoS to stalk, which means you will still be able to discern them. For normal killers, it's just another day, another slay.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

Spinechill was a very valuable low effort Perk. High value = High Awareness with ample time and distance to react + vault speed for the low effort of simply having it equiped.

It completly destroys a killers aproach, it completly denies any possibility of stealth via Killer Power or via Perk. How can Stalk killers stalk if stalking requires a line of sight, said line of sight triggered SPinechill so how were Stalk killers able to stalk if looking that way immediatly gave them away?

Spinechill needed the changes. I'd simply nerf it's range to maybe 16 meters and get rid of the vault speed. The 32 meter awareness was the real issue.

• Object

You should read my previous comment, where I addressed the issue with stalking killers - it makes them equally flimsy. For the change you insinuated, I agree.