Survivor Opinion: Is Dredge “Oh Boy!” or “DC”?

yobuddd
yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I’ve seen on the forums that people in general appreciate Dredge matches, or so I thought. My last few games when I kill as Dredge have suffered from instant-DC of 1 to 3 survivors once they realize who I am.

Is he unpopular? Is it just them? And while I’m at it, is the DC penalty disabled right now or something? Anyway, how do you feel about Dredge games in general?

Comments

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,407

I'll never DC because of a killer but I do hate going against Dredge. Nightfall sounded interesting when first announced but I hate it, especially all the crying in my ear. It might just be a case of people are seeing him alot because he's new and they want something different.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

For me I don't like his anti-loop and it's not a matter of it being anti-loop but rather it's just a anti-loop that feels very unfair. Maybe I just don't fully understand how to counter them yet.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059

I dislike him being able to place the remnant in the middle of a loop because it kind of feels like he has too many toys, but on the whole I don't mind him. There's plenty of killers I'm happier to see Dredge than.

• CharlieChatBox
    CharlieChatBox Member Posts: 258

He's fine-ish. Only issues I've had is when they chill out in a locker next to hook. And the fact I can't see ######### on certain naturally darker maps. Same applies as playing as him, on certain maps, darkness does jack diddly. Super limited by locker spawns on maps like Coldwind or Swamp.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,288

Yup, I'm the same. I'm already bad at looping, Nightfall just makes me want to sit in a locker for its duration.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

Neither like or dislike. Probably current nightfall is too much but we'll see I guess. The design overall is pretty good or at the very least they could have got it very wrong either way.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,882

I think people that complain about nightfall are overreacting. I was easily able to make it to tiles while being basically blinded just because I took 2 seconds to look around me before nightfall started.

• ApolloVanderwaal4
    ApolloVanderwaal4 Member Posts: 13

I love going against Dredge. Maybe it’s recency bias, but I have no problems with him…?….it? I honestly like how dark Nightfall is. I play on Switch so I can’t see ######### lmao but it gives me that horror vibe of just running blindly and hoping to escape the killer and I enjoy it. I wish I played against Dredge more often

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,703

I like him. I think he’s in a pretty good spot right now. Nightfall doesn’t bother me, it’s useful but I don’t find it annoying to go against.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

I can't remember the last time i faced a dredge, i got a couple around release date, now is nurse simulator

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Nah, he's awesome.

He makes me play different, makes me keep an ear out, makes me aware of my surroundings. I like it.

• Lecruidant
    Lecruidant Member Posts: 162

It's almost a DC. I have to stop and walk around after because my eyes hurt so much from Nightfall. It's ridiculous. I'm supposed to be having fun, not physically hurt after a game

• Triforcer
    Triforcer Member Posts: 180

As a killer, I love him- but not sure how I would react as a survivor. With increased BP during the event, I can run the purple that gives you two free nightfalls (and the green that extends nightfall for 20 seconds) every single match (plus corrupt and other gen slowdowns). I have to imagine that spending half the match in Nightfall is super annoying, even when it doesn’t cause an actual medical issue.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,826

I love playing against him. Unlike the other killers he’s actually spooky.

Playing as him though has gotten frustrating. Everyone seems to have learned holding W is his biggest weakness so every game is just that, which isn’t fun.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

Dredge is very predictable. Once you understand how he will use his power to teleport in a loop you can shift W out of the loop - because holding his power to teleport back to his husk makes him slow.

The only way he can catch up is to teleport in front of you - so you just run back to the previous loop. Once you understand his limitations he is pretty weak.

He has no instant pallet break and his teleport is only good during Nightfall. Sadly he has no "infinite" nightfall addons.

To make things worse all his perk suck except the locker aura one.

• SpiritedSalsa
    SpiritedSalsa Member Posts: 95

I have really bad vision issues too. I love the idea of a killer who can suddenly make things dark and you have to try and find a generator, another surviver, or even try and be stealth until nightfall is over. What I found helps is that I always have Bond regardless of what map it is, so if the map is darker and I'm facing a Dredge, that helps me see where everyone is and I can get to a generator. I definitely understand why nightfall can be a problem for poorly sighted pepple or people with other medical conditions though. I wouldn't be able to face 10 Dredge's at once.

• DY86
    DY86 Member Posts: 570

Yeah I have eye problems too. So I started running Windows of Opportunity to see the best options around me. But as u said, it would be nightmare facing dredge many times in a row.

also, when I play on pc i use a reshader to dim the strain on my eyes. If ur a pc player I thibk u should look it up

• SpiritedSalsa

I have Windows of opportunity, so I'll add that on my more worse eye days. And I'm a console player, so I can't use any filters other than the ones on my TV. I don't mind having 1 Aura reading perk that takes up my perk slots. Bond is more helpful because I can see what everyone is doing too, so nightfall is at least countered in that way for me. :)

• Zeon_99
    Zeon_99 Member Posts: 463

I really enjoy the killer, but nightfall hurts my eyes really bad. Im getting old.

• DBDVulture
  • SpiritedSalsa

I mean if my console added reshaders to it, I still think I'd have a hard time anyway because of how bad my eyesight is. xD It wouldn't matter. I just deal with it. Nightfall can be good or bad for me depending on the day. I like the concept of it compared to other killers, but like myself and other poorly sighted people who play this game, we have to rely on aura reading perks if we want to see stuff.

• DBDVulture

My eyes are old but they work "ok". Funny enough having slightly blurry vision can actually help you see motion better. I am glad there are some perks that make the game work for you.

• SpiritedSalsa

Yeah, that's this weird thing that I've had too when I haven't worn glasses. Somehow I can vault over stuff, dodge attacks, but I also think that's memorizing the maps/buttons and having played the game a while. The brain remembers, but sometimes my brain and eyes don't and I'm screwed, but thank you, I'm glad you've got perks that hopefully help you too! :)

• DBDVulture

It's funny you say that because SC, SC and IW are getting completely gutted (my other perk is SB). That's the perks I have used for 6 years. I'm probably going to retire survivor when the changes go live. I dont like moving my camera behind me as I run forward - that's what I use SC for. When you have been using it as long as I have you know exactly what the killer is doing by how your cat flickers.

I'm probably not going to play killer either because I predict it will be even worse than it is now. At least right now we have very strong generator defense perks.

• XerraFox
    XerraFox Member Posts: 157

I don't DC against him - I love his concept. But most Dredges I face are tunneling machines so matches end rather fast due to someone DCs or killing themselves on hook

• SpiritedSalsa

I completely understand. A lot of people with visual and hearing disabilities have mentioned SC being the best perk for them. Another perk did the same thing where if you were staring at the killer, you would get a visual and auditory warning. With SC, of course I do agree that having it light up on stealth killers defeats the purpose of stealth killers in that they're not supposed to be seen, but to make it line of sight only for every killer makes things more complicated. I do hope they make some adjustments to the SC rework for those in the community who need it to be able to play.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I find going against it fun (yes even nightfall)

• Jhei
    Jhei Member Posts: 76

Automatic suicide so I don't get DC penalty. I've got sensory issues that make the screaming of Nightfall unbearable to manage so I have to turn off sound because it's so loud. I've got colorblindness issues which when combined with the darkness make an already dark and hard to play game basically impossible. Ormond is maybe the only map it's tolerable on. Playing the game without sound or image isn't scary, it's that thing where you handed your little brother an unplugged controller so he felt like he was playing too. Except the controller is plugged in, you just can't use it.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 416

I don't mind playing against Dredge as it is, but I notice that Nightfall seems to be very unpopular with others.

No matter when I play as or against him, folks disappear in corners far from lockers and gens for Nightfall. When I play as Dredge I find the map pretty much empty with no-one doing anything. If I want to find anyone I have to look for corners of the map where no lockers are near.

When I play against him, I'm often its only target unless I find a safe spot to disappear until Nightfall is over as well. I once was hooked during Nightfall. I saw two teammates crouching in map corners, the third was crouching in a bush five meters from my hook, but she waited until Nightfall was over to unhook me.

I really like the Dredge so I wish Nightfall would be toned down a bit to a level acceptable by more players ... I do not enjoy playing killers that make players want to quit the match asap.

• SpiritedSalsa

Do the colorblind filters in the options menu help? For me I also remembered that I'm glad nightfall doesn't last all match, because the screaming would bother me in a sensory way too. It's good to see a lot of the community who have these issues speak out about it. It's a shame that you have to get out of the game quickly as soon as you know that you're facing a Dredge though.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

He is my favorite killer to play in a long time. I like non-human monster killers and his M1 feels very satisfying to land, especially after a remnant teleport. His add-ons are fun and useful too. The voices are getting a bit old though.

• MrPotato
    MrPotato Member Posts: 71

He's easy to win against and interesting to verse, what's not to like?

• Izo_Quartz
    Izo_Quartz Member Posts: 250

i don't like that he has three very different powers in one killer, he can tp to lockers, has nightfall, and can leave a husk behind to tp back to, often used mid chase. IMO the last ability should be heavily changed, it's baisicly playing hag on easy mode, and almost feels like an unintended "tech" on the devs part, much like blight's wall hug bug exploit.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

to me it's "sigh at least it'll be over quickly"

• caramelpudding
    caramelpudding Member Posts: 118

I love going against Dredge. It's one of the very few killers giving me an actual feeling of horror.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,054

Nightfall is really annoying. This could get some changes.

Otherwise, I am fine with playing against Dredge.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

Placing your remnant down needs to reset Bloodlust. That's all I have to say.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

You can walk into the remnant to destroy it. But again use your best judgememt as his ability to teleport back to it means its a bit of a mindgame. I do advise looping tiles together as opposed to sticking around one but watch out if you do it too often the dredge player will catch on and fake using the remnant.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I haven't played against a Dredge yet. I played Dredge when he celebrated out, but I haven't seen one throughout the event even as survivor.

I see survivors making more mistakes (deadharding into walls especially lol) so I can see why it's frustrating for survivors. Nightfall impairs the survivors and reduces one of their greatest strengths; 3rd person view.

I use the add on with Nightfall in the beginning paired with Lethal Pursuer. So the survivors start off impaired, but don't realize that I am barreling down on them lol

I'm a low-mid skill killer so he could be more of a hassle against newer/less skilled players.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,320
    edited June 2022

Fun to play and go against. I just bought the dredge recently and he's just such a breath of fresh air for killer gameplay. Just a really solid kit all around and it feels good to play, at least to me. You can have some really fun builds that make survivors feel that on-edge horror feeling, which is an area this game really needed again. I've just been meme'ing for the last of the event, and one fun build that has entertained me is Knockout, Plaything, Corrupt, and Third Seal with nightfall buildup addons.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

kinda boring imo, every chase is the same against them (unless they do locker teleports, then it can be fun).

nightfall hurts my eyes too so i usually suicide on hook against them.

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942

I have Misophonia and the woman screaming and moaning causes me to have a panic attack so yes, I can definitely say that I hate playing against The Dredge. Remove the nightfall sounds and he's a treat to play against, except they're not going to remove the most likely, so I have to rely on my friends talking over the game audio anytime we go in nightfall. And since soloq doesn't allow me to do that, I have to blast music in my ears over my game audio to not hear it.

If it only did like one scream, and just the echo the moaning here and there, I'd have no problem, but because it's repetitively it gets to me.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

I always get excited seeing it.

But some people will always find an excuse to hate on Dredgie. It's the same for any Killer, really.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I like the build you mentioned! I’ve seen a lot of Dredges in my games, and the “start in nightfall” add-on seems to be heavily used. For that reason I’ve tried other things and here’s one you might like:

• Instead of Lethal Pursuer, use Darkness Revealed. Just open a locker right at the start. 9 times out of 10 you’ll see auras, so it’s the same effect as Lethal, but reusable!
    • My favorite add-on is Worry Stone. When survivors lock a locker, you see their aura. So if you see an aura just appear for no apparent reason, teleport over there ASAP. They just locked a locker, so you know they’re inclined to perform this action. Target a locker NEAR the aura (not the one they just locked). Usually they’re headed to the next locker over anyway. I’ve gotten so many jumpscare grabs this way and you just KNOW that the player let out a gasp at the minimum! Even if they don’t try to lock it and get grabbed, you know there’s someone very close to start a chase with.
  • IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

He's annoying but not DC annoying.