The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Just did the new survey, and...

Laluzi
Laluzi Member Posts: 6,043

...while I was happy to give feedback about the event, the Garden of Joy, etc, there was something I saw in there that I cannot possibly express all of my Nope about.

Limited-time licensed cosmetics. As in, say, a Pyramid Head outfit goes in the store for a few weeks and then leaves forever.

I thought we were moving away from true exclusives? Why would we want more permanently retired cosmetics? Especially store ones? Especially on licensed characters, who have the fewest cosmetic options in the game and the most fans that would like to own them? It's rare enough that BHVR gets to negotiate for licensed cosmetics; gating them to new players or people who weren't active on DBD during the window is an awful idea and a waste of a long-term opportunity for the sake of a quick cash grab.

They also suggested a referral system and incentives for getting your friends to join the game, which has me half giggling and half harkening back to Neopets, but seriously, who in the dev team actually wants limited cosmetics to happen? And can we tell them to stop?

Comments

• Laluzi

Thing is, I can't imagine the license holders would say "We'll let you make this outfit, but you can only sell it for x weeks!" or "We'll give you the rights to this outfit, but only for a month, then we're pulling it." That's 100% BHVR's purview with the designs it's purchased. So while I'd agree if it truly was all or nothing... I cannot believe that that's actually the case.

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2022

I'm a fan of having things that you can't get anymore. As long as its not a HUGE crutch, or they don't try to bleed people out over the price. But things like anniversary skins, or cosmetics for event tomes, as far as I know those will never be available. You get them during the event or miss out. I get it, those are grindable though, you don't have to pay, but still. But they're not like rift cosmetics that end up in the store a year later. While they've sort of done away with "exclusives" I'm personally glad they still do them to a small degree. If they started doing additional exclusives by selling some in the store, I could take or leave the idea, but if they did it, I'd probably buy them knowing they were limited time, unless they were ######### ugly like some of the amazon prime skins LOL

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Even if I'm taking a break from the game, when I saw that question it rubbed me the wrongest way.

Credibility goes down, kill ratio goes up (citation).

• Laluzi
    edited June 2022

I wouldn't care quite as much if they were for the original characters - I like owning stuff that can't be gotten anymore too - but doing it for licensed characters just seems cruel. These are often the characters people join DBD for, and also characters that typically only have one or two cosmetic options available.

I worry that they got a taste of how much people will flock to cosmetics they otherwise had no interest in buying when Stranger Things got pulled, and want to weaponize that model for periodic "buy NOW or you lose it forever!" deals on iconic characters.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2022

Part of me thinks they are planning on going through with it anyway regardless of feedback, like with one of the earlier surveys regarding the battle pass. 😕

Post edited by shinymon on
  • Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Licensed characters get less cosmetics as is, exclusives will make it worse. But they're probably going to implement it anyway, regardless of feedback. They've done it before.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I’d rather have a limited time cosmetic than no cosmetic at all tbh

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Whatever you want to think about the Stranger Things chapter it was a time limited one. I still think that was the deal that was made from Netflix. That's just my opinion.

They asked how players would feel because there is going to be another Stranger Things chapter😀

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346

was there something in that survey specifically saying they were considering releasing limited-time cosmetics for licensed characters? seems like it would be better in the long run to keep them. Especially because these characters always have limited amounts to choose from. On that note, I really don't know why they don't hammer out like 10-20 cosmetic ideas while they're working out the license and just see what they can get approval for, maybe make changes based on their notes. There is no downside for either party but yet we only get 1-3. Its digital content, its not like they're putting out action figures that might not sell, so I don't know why they woudln't double down at least. 4 outfits instead of 2, or 6 instead of 3. For Freddy, I get it, what can they really do? LOL

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

I wonder if maybe by "licensed cosmetics" they more meant legendary ones, like the Crypt TV collection?

Either way, I'm heavily against it, but it makes a degree more sense if that's what they meant.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,948

At this point I'm ignoring anything the Devs say about exclusives they are so back and forth about it

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Thats a marketing ploy known as "fear of missing out", its used a lot in multiplayer games, it sucks but sadly it wont go away for its one of the main drives behind people buying stuff.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

using FOMO (fear of missing out) as a selling point is manipulative and scummy and if they go ahead with this everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,736

If they start selling limited cosmetics for limited time to "scare" people and "make more money on kinda forcing people to buy limited stuff because of fear of missing out" than I will be very angry and disapointed.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

This survey is the second time now I've seen them mention guilds. I'm guessing it's not a "if" and more a "when" now that it was brought up again. Between the questions on there about getting friends to play/guilds and the current changes they made that hurt solo survivor more than swf it feels like solo survivor isn't something they want in the game anymore. If you're solo play killer, if you want to play survivor either get your friends or join a guild so you can swf - don't need to get solo up to swf level when there isn't anymore solo survivor.

Not a fan of the time limited licensed cosmetics. It feels like a money grab feeding off of people's fomo. If they add time limited licensed cosmetics I wouldn't be surprised if not long after they add loot boxes and other microtransactions.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

If there is a licensed cosmetic that they genuinely cannot keep forever due to the license holders' will, but want it in the game regardless, such as the Stranger Things cosmetics for example, then I'd be all for it personally. I'd rather have a limiter time licensed cosmetic than none at all (looking at you, Freddy). I think they have good intentions if it is for a licensed character due to their limited control over it. However, if they did this with the original characters, I would be against this as they have complete control over their characters' cosmetics and that would definitely just be a money-grab situation.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

As a counterpoint, it could be that certain cosmetic concepts the devs want to try wouldn't be permitted by the license holder unless it was limited time item.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

Body is 1 character too short.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

also just gonna say this, if/when this happens for the love of god do not buy whatever limited cosmetics they put out. yes, some characters don't have a lot or any cosmetics, but if you buy these limited outfits you are supporting and encouraging a manipulative business practice. this is why things like microtransactions and deluxe editions are so normalized now, because people became complicit when corporations started bleeding them for more money.

it doesn't have to be that way though. crypto in gaming failed because people didn't want it, they knew it was a grift and that whatever reward you got wasn't worth the consequences. bhvr didn't stop involving themselves in nfts after the hellraiser backlash because they felt bad, they stopped because people didn't buy them.

• Laluzi

I'll believe that when I see it. Like, if we were to get swim trunks shirtless Myers in the middle of July... okay, I can believe that BHVR was only allowed to do that as a Very Special Offer. But if the new Halloween movie drops and we get Myers' movie outfit available for a month as a promo, I'm calling BS that it had to be that way.

Still. In that specific case, I'd rather have something than nothing - though I don't like the very convenient and profitable gateway it opens.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

They had a limited time killer with the demogorgon when you think about it.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

I like the idea of exclusives. Gives the item "worth" -- for whatever that's worth. I understand why BHVR would steer away from exclusives but I think that is a missed opportunity. I'm one of those types that like to have something nobody else has. At the same time, I get a little envious of people that have something that I don't have but want.. and that's ok, because that's just life. What it will do is make me more interested in the cosmetics side of the game where I otherwise don't care too much about anymore, and that's especially true if everyone has access to them.

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

i hate limited edition stuff.

just look at limited run & how crazy FOMO is there.

its sad because you"re going to force people who come for licenses to spend more cash right away and be invested instead of letting them gradually feel the game out whether they like it or not.

and then theyll be in the trap that I put my money into this game i better play it... and will lead to more money dropping.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Yeah I saw that and was like "Hard pass." I personally don't even like that they're using amazon prime to distribute outfits. Like put them in the store, half of them aren't even good. I would never agree to limited time cosmetics especially for licenses.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,014

I'm gonna assume for smaller license like AOT and Crypt tv, they can get the license for a short time. And when they lose the license pull it from the store.

I am genuinely hoping we lose Crypt tv license

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,816

This is how I interpreted it too, like maybe they want to do something similar to the upcoming Attack on Titan cosmetics, but with a license that only lets them sell for a limited time. I'm honestly not 100% against it, though I do think it's better not to do that if they don't have to.

This question and the "what about rewards to recruit your friends!!" questions made me worry that they're running out of money, though.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

I didn’t do the survey because I thought it was gonna be a waste of time but I guess I gotta do it now cause thats probably the worst idea ever, if it makes it limited time then don’t do it, that simple

• Laluzi

Huh, I hadn't considered that. If we were talking about licenses that weren't going to be added to the game as full chapters or paragraphs, but were more like Crypt TV in that an original character gets a skin for a character from some other property, that would make much more sense as a limitation of the deal they made than deliberately inflating sales through panic. Since once the initial burst of interest dies off, I'm not sure the profits from a deal like that would even sustain what they'd have to pay for the license over time.

Also, yeah, there was really no other way to interpret the referral thing. 😂 Sorry, guys, but you've got to clean up the community before I'm recommending this game to anyone. I'm not willingly sending anyone into the new player experience pit.

• PowerLine_444
    PowerLine_444 Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2022

"Since once the initial burst of interest dies off, I'm not sure the profits from a deal like that would even sustain what they'd have to pay for the license over time."

You know if the collab skins are cool and popular people would want them no matter what, right?

I mean Fortnite, the biggest MP game has this exact system.

• Laluzi

Cosmetic profits are always frontloaded, is what I'm saying. You get the initial burst of hype when something is first released, then a taper to a steady, lower level as new players/existing players that spend some but not a lot of money on the game purchase existing outfits that they're interested in.

Royalties obviously account for high/low volumes of interest, but if you're paying a certain amount to renew a license, what you get from quarterly sales of a Hag skin, an Artist skin, and a Jane skin might not necessarily cover that, depending on how much the other partner wants for the rights. In that case, the limited cosmetics make more sense (well, they always make sense from the corporate perspective, but in this case they make sense in a model that isn't deliberately predatory.)

DBD emulating Fortnite is not a good thing from where I'm standing?

• PowerLine_444
    PowerLine_444 Member Posts: 15

When will yall learn big companies are never on your side? This business model works and companies will use it.

Also this coming from the same company that contributed to hurting the planet with some dumb NFT just to get a killer that nobody even plays.

Yes this model is wrong and predatory. Is it profitable? Yes.

Does it seem like a BHVR thing to do? Absolutely.

Already so many sad people brag about exclusive items in video games to boost their false ego. Honestly, what makes you think BHVR is NOT gonna do it?

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,886

I'll confess I said yes to this option because licensed characters so rarely get cosmetics. So if we can get more, even if its for a limited time, then its like any port in a storm. I'll take it.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

Never thought of it that way. Then again I haven't been around long enough to know this. Honestly why do people have to be so precious about intellectual property?