Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

This paid game and free to play style monetisation

Cryptikk
Cryptikk Member Posts: 418
edited July 2022 in General Discussions

the game base is 20 euro.

it has almost 250 euro worth of paid dlc, locking perks behind that unless you want to wait for who knows how long for them to be in the shrine. With more paid dlc every few months. a number of which have been buggy, with one tied to NFTs. In a game that often has some issue such as maps being disabled.

Despite this, the game has a premium currency, which can only be bought in certain amounts. skins are up to 10 and 15 euro in the store. over twice the price of a character that comes with three perks.

Free skins are few, far between and exclusive to events.

Numerous paid battle bass filled with charm fodder with grindy challenges being the main way to progress.

Why do we let them get away with treating this paid game with this amount of dlc like it is a f2p game like fortnite? Am I the only one who thinks this is crappy?

Comments

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 542

When they were suggesting the battlepass / tome it was initially heavily criticised so BHVR did it anyway.

When the first $15 legendary skins came out which locked you out of customising other parts of the character, they were heavily criticised so BHVR did it anyway. When players found bugs to mix and match outfits, BHVR applied multiple fixes to try and combat this.

DLCs are sometimes purchasable with blue shards so that's nice, saves a fiver here and there however they haven't given out a free character in 5 years.

I honestly expect another form of monetisation to hit in the future, probably to link progress between consoles and PC since they'll be "losing revenue" for the players who have to buy the game over again when they switch from console to PC or vice versa.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Tbf you don’t need all the DLC to enjoy the game. As well as this all original dlc and about half original cosmetics are available with in game currency.

It’s really not too bad especially since dlc goes on sale pretty regularly

• Pr0p3r9
    Pr0p3r9 Member Posts: 111

Even the licensed survivor and killer characters can have their perks show up in the Shrine of Secrets. Survivors are all basically skins of each other to start with anyway. Really, the only thing you can't unlock through grinding is licensed killer's powers and cosmetics. Cosmetics are superficial and don't matter that much, and you can chose if each individual killer power is worth it to you or not.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

The one thing I think this game should be doing but isn't is releasing more up-to-date versions of the game bundled with all the non-licensed DLC chapters/paragraphs up to a certain point (similar to fighting games). Seems pretty lame that buying the game on PC still requires you to buy ALL the DLC chapters (minus the free ones, of course) individually.

• SimplyPixelated06
    SimplyPixelated06 Member Posts: 469

What I mainly care about in terms of things being over-priced with this game, is the cosmetics. They cost SO much, I've never seen any other game with such expensive purely cosmetic outfits. Like to get a full outfit is like $15 aud. Which is just insane to me since it adds no value to the game.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

With the large amount of cosmetics and characters in the game, I'd say they could at least reduce the shard price of each item. It takes a long time to reach 9000 shard for example, let alone doing this multiple times to purchase every original character and possibly original cosmetics.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

I'd much rather the cosmetics be overpriced as ######### then the actual chapters.

• NomiNomad

Apparently on Steam there is now a version of the game called Ultimate Edition. I had no idea this existed until I literally just took a peek. It has the base game and all non-licensed chapters up to All-Kill. It's priced at $70 USD.

• SimplyPixelated06
    SimplyPixelated06 Member Posts: 469
  • NomiNomad

I agree, but I have a feeling the price of the cosmetics is the main source of income of the game, and it allows the chapters to be cheaper. I've never really cared about cosmetics, but I'd much rather the super optional content be more expensive to keep the content with actual purpose cheaper.

That's just my two cents, though.

• GiveMeTheBox
    GiveMeTheBox Member Posts: 331

Sadly, live service games like this need paid DLC (and cosmetics...) to survive. It sucks, but it is what it is.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I am actually really surprised, with how much the community complains about the most mundane "issues," how the actual anti consumer approach to the game gets ignored and defended. It happens in plenty of games really. Oh, no! A perk is imbalanced. Waaah waah. Game is a paid game using a free to play model? Nobody blinks.

It took me awhile to notice because the game WAS free for me. I downloaded it for PS Plus awhile back. And I believe it is on Gamepass. So console players low-key have an excuse, imo. PC players that just take it? Well, you know, that is the reason they can get away with it. But it looks like they love it that way, so... No harm, no foul?

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

I hope you realize that they do need to make money to keep the game alive. There are many people working on this game as their job, so giving out everything for free or extremely underpriced isn't possible for them.

Considering how often chapters go on sale and that you can get a little over half the characters by just playing the game using the in game currency, I think that it's pretty reasonable with how they price things. The chapters aren't that expensive if you wait for sales and buy only a few at a time. The skins might be a little pricey if you think about it from the perspective that it's an outfit in a video game, but it's the main way most games make money.

They honestly give out a lot of content for free. You get 1-2 free cosmetics through the free track of the rift and there's been plenty of times where they give enough iri shards out for free for you to get a character.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

The monetization in DBD really isn't that bad imo. It's a live game with consistent updates. Yeah it's $30 dollars for the base game. But even if they sold millions of copies, eventually all of that money would be gone without a consistent positive cash flow. That's where cash shops come in.

To keep the game live and up to date 24/7 365, there's overhead costs such as employee wages, worksites for the employees, server costs, equipment, maintenance, insurance and taxes ect.. the list goes on.

Just having base game sales would not be enough for this game to continue. Or any game for that matter. And if you make it even easier to get these things by just playing the game you reduce all need or want for players to spend any money at all. No money=no employees=no game.

Just the fact that you CAN earn stuff in game is a lot more than most other games. Even their DLC is only like $10-15. Heck a lot of games you have to pay $60 for the base game, plus $60 for each DLC, PLUS you still have to pay real money if you want any sort of cosmetics or extra stuff. Heck some even still have subscriptions on top of that. I play a lot of online games and 99% of their cash shop stuff, you can't get by just playing.

I have no problem spending more money on this game if it's value is greater than the money I'm spending. And right now it is. This game has given me years of enjoyment and playtime. I don't mind spending $15-30 more for months and possibly years more of enjoyment.

Now if they ever stopped producing meaningful content that added value to the game, that might change. But as it stands right now, I have no problem spending money to help keep this game alive as it's still a lot of fun for me and still adds value.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I guess that's not terrible for a full priced game? Would rather it be $59.99, but still.

• NomiNomad

Did the math real quick (if I'm right anyways).

All those chapters + the base game would cost around 100$ USD. Or you could get the Survivor + Killer expansion packs (which again, didn't know where a thing) which has the same content, but both of those are thirty each. Those, plus the base game, would be $80.

I agree that it should probably be the usual $59.99 for a full priced triple A game, but I guess it's better than nothing.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I really dont condone having gameplay mechanics locked behind a pay wall. And the shrine isn't counting as being able to get them with in game currency.

I really dislike battle passes. It's cheap and lazy and barely has any actual content.

Also can't say having most skins being paid for with real money is good. it's bad.

The games is too old and apparently the devs can't even update it without the thing trying to end itself 😂

But the dlc is priced well. What 10-15 bucks? Better than most games 🙄.

But most things in game isn't worth paying for anyway. Licensed characters, skins. Their not worth it so yeah...not much of a problem.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

Companies need money

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

The only problem I have is that so many perks, especially some of the strong ones, are locked behind dlc characters, some of them you have to pay for.

Honestly there should be a way to buy perks of characters with Iridiscent Shards in general, and maybe get rid of the Shrine of Secrets. Or keep it, but have the four perks featured in the Shrine of Secrets be reduced in price by a lot. Like only 500 Shards or something like that. Shrine of Secrets at the moment is just very outdated, with how many killers, survivors, and therefore new perks have been added to the game over the past years.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

It would bug me more if you couldn't essentially buy most DLC with in-game currency anyway. Consider just how unusual this is when compared to other games. It's heavily backloaded by playtime, but you only have to pay for licensed chapters, which BHVR straight-up cannot give out for free because they have to pay royalties on them. That's more than fair.

The battle pass doesn't bug me either because it's not exclusive content (well, charms, but who cares about charms for the most part) and it's actually a one-time-only payment. Again, if you play through each rift, you only need to pay $10 once and you're set for the rest forever.

As for cosmetics, those are totally optional, and BHVR's gotta eat. Legendary character prices are stupid, though.

• catkillsmouse
    catkillsmouse Member Posts: 244

Nah they always have stuff on sale i'm a fairly cheap bastard when it comes to games but this one isn't pricey at all. If you wanna look prettier then ya gotta deal out a few bucks.

• Obelt
    Obelt Member Posts: 357

i agree with this but rift grinding is so slow and tedious even with challenges to ease it