The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

BHVR prepare to lose revenue

Unfortunately with the updates new players wont stick around for very long. When a new player comes to the game they are very limited on the perks that they have access to. By nerfing key perks such as iron will it makes it much harder to learn the game and the mechanics. This puts all the decent perks behind a pay wall.

Not to mention with the killer being so easy to play any new player that plays survivor will not want to lose every game they join. When a new player enjoys the game and decides to continue playing they will spend money on dlc that was released long before new dlc. This is extra revenue that you will not see, sure the die hard fans will buy the new dlc but that's it. This seems like a huge loss for the company.

I wonder what others have to say about this. Does anyone else think that the nerfs will lead to a loss of player base?

Comments

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

Earlier: Killer with 333h faces TheKller (german streamer) with 11.000 hours 🤣

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,514

Played some games - normal - and they don´t felt incredibly different.

They still could loop me, run away and finish gens.

And my first surv game was against a bubba who killed us all. Soo... pretty normal for now.

But yes, i think it will take some time to get the new possibilities.

• CyberRoninX
    CyberRoninX Member Posts: 293

Except they wont stick around to learn. That was my point in the first place.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Youre assuming new players want to stick it out and be invested in the game, you can't bank on that, if matchmaking was truly where it was supposed to be in a more perfect world what you're saying is right but like the poster above you mentioned, they have 4000 hours going against 100 hour players and in that scenario if it happens often enough new players aren't going to stick around, and if casuals are already DCng in troves why would you expect new players to want to spend all the money on characters just to have a decent perk selection whenever they feel like they suck immensely at the game right out the gate, I think some of the changes were needed but I think instead of increasing gens we should've gotten a whole new objective that went along side gens so it doesnt feel like you're spending a year of your life on a single generator stacked with slowdowns and that time is spend doing something else, so the killers get more time like some needed and the survivors get to have another objective to keep up with in exchange making it more interesting instead of dull and the same old #########

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

I feel like with the inclusion of the tutorial and the work on SBMM, the devs have been working hard to make the game easier to get into than ever - maybe not with a 100% success rate, but it's a lot better than it used to be and seems to be improving.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

It could be true if killers play without perks also. But they play with them, and a gen can take half and hour to be done

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I really fail to see how specific perk nerfs will make survivor unplayable for newer players. Especially a perk like Iron Will. It's not even a base perk, but a perk from Jake.

No, if anything will cause a big problem, it's camping and tunneling. New players in particular struggle with those strategies, and now that killers have been buffed, it could become even worse. Those are the strategies that need to be nerfed, and automatically DBD would become better for survivors, especially newer survivors.

Camping and tunneling are also straregies that are often used at low ranks because they are the easiest strategies to use. Killer surely isn't "easy", but those strategies, at least camping, are. I am positive survivors at low ranks have a harder time to win especially because of those strategies. Since they take little skill, they can be used effectively enough even by low rank killers.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

New players were relying on Iron Will?

Ew.

• CyberRoninX

Jake was free same with David. I do agree that DH needed a nerf but iron will is one of those perks that if you start out with you have a much higher chance of hiding from the killer. One of my major concerns is that the best perks will now all be locked behind a pay wall. Why pay to get the perks when you lose every game?

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Only in DbD is someone who plays a game for over 300 hours "new".

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

I’ll buy more stuff just to help out BHVR as I approve of this patch

• CyberRoninX

Ok go ahead and spend your 10 dollars every time they release a new dlc. New players buy the dlc that you already own and new dlc (hence why they will lose revenue) but that will more than likely change.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

Ironically a lot of the new players of the past never learned the mechanics of the game properly, because the perks at their disposabel, for example DH or IW, never forced them to deal with the "real" game, so they just platoed at a certain level, while still being successful. This will change now.

• CyberRoninX

What do you mean by "the real game". If you were good as a killer then DH was never an issue.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

New players will learn to play with the game as it is and that's the way they will know DBD; the only people who are handwringing about this are old players who now have to learn to play differently.

To varying degrees, we existing players all have a comfort zone we're going to be pushed out of, and some will deal with this better than others. Some will leave and be replaced, most will adjust.

But DBD will carry on, despite all the doomsaying. I'm not saying DBD is perfect, far from, but people are endlessly predicting the end every time something changes, and still the game persists.

• CyberRoninX

My original comment was about new players. How does what you said have anything to do with that? New players don't need to wait a week because they are new and will just stop playing.

• CyberRoninX

Just be willing to deal with 20 minute queue's I suppose when all the survivors leave the game.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

If you can't play without a specific perk, either that perk is completely OP or there is some systemic game failure.

Something tells me "survivors making any noise at all" isn't a game failure.

• JibbyNeutron
    JibbyNeutron Member Posts: 208

Kill rates in low rank were already insanely high years ago when they released data. Now, after several Killer buffs over that time and especially this patch its probably an absolute nightmare for beginners. I personally cant imagine myself starting DbD as survivor now in 2022 and sticking to it. I only still play survivor because I was doing so since 2016

• CyberRoninX

I never said I was going to leave and if people choose to leave that's their choice. My point has always been about new players and that they bring in much more revenue than players that have been playing for years, if you don't think new players bring in much more revenue then you are in denial. New players will not stick around when you put the best perks behind a pay wall.

• CyberRoninX

There is no learning curve for killer now. They made it way too easy.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

I haven't spent any money on this game in a long time.

This patch is making me reconsider if it finally time to give them some money.

Good job BHVR!!!!!

• JackOfTrades
    JackOfTrades Member Posts: 462
    edited July 2022

This patch will Ruin Ruin and Ruin will be Ruined again! (making a joke here)

• JovialCub
    JovialCub Member Posts: 88

See... "Nerfing Key Perks".

They have told you that this has been a problem for years. Its not like people didn't have time to adjust.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

"Hex ruin you've been ruined and you'll never be the same againnnnaaaaannnnnnnn"

:P

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Good perks on the Survivor side aren't behind a pay wall.

I get the feeling that you missed the fact that Survivors can still rank up Meg and Bill and get access to a near meta loadout that wasn't nerfed. Sprint Burst, Unbreakable, Borrowed Time, and Adrenaline. If they don't like Adrenaline, they can swap it out for Quick and Quiet or Kindred which are also both very solid perks. Consoles that don't have Bill and therefore have his perks in their general pool can just rank Meg and get this loadout. They'll be fine.

Heck... with Off the Record being a pretty decent replacement for DS, now they have even fewer good perks behind a paywall.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,410

New players with 1 perk are gonna play against 293823k hours killer mains? Did I miss something with this patch?

• EternalSinOfCain
    EternalSinOfCain Member Posts: 132

Wait... "By nerfing Iron Will it makes it much harder to learn the game and mechanics". When you used old Iron Will, it eliminated the game mechanic of the Killer can hear you in pain. How is that "learning the mechanic" when you basically just take it out of the game?

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

im sorry to inform but they wont be losing any revenue soon, maybe after Project W then repost??

• tendyhands
    tendyhands Member Posts: 268

Would you take a 10% paycut at your job? You are still getting paid so it's not like anything changed right?

• CyberRoninX

You must be trolling. I was talking about new players. I get that reading comprehension can be hard but come on. I'm still playing and I'm still winning some matches, however, the amount of matches I'm losing has gone way up since the update. I own all the survivors and all the perks. I also quit playing killer because it was easy before the update.

• CyberRoninX

No you misunderstand. I get it though its tough to read. New players will lose to any killer they get paired against because killer is so much easier now. Place a new player with at new killer with only 1 perk each and the killer wins every time. I have been strictly talking about new players this whole time. Reading comprehension is a thing that people on the internet seem to not get.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

Same. I have 6,000 hours and I just finished a game that had two survivors with 150~ish hours and 2 survivors with less than 5 hours between the two of them. Thankfully I realized they were new and plated far nicer than anyone probably will because that would have been an atrociously miserable game otherwise.

• CyberRoninX

Iron will was the best perk to help learn looping and mind games while being able to effectivly hide from the killer. Giving a new player at least a chance at survival. Now killer will hear you from a mile away and they will have no chance.

• EternalSinOfCain
    EternalSinOfCain Member Posts: 132

"There is no learning curve for Killer, it's too easy" Sure then, i'm sure someone brand new to the game can pick up Blight, Nurse, Billy, Oni, Pinhead and use their powers easily and never miss a Blink, Rush, Chain Shot right off the get go.

• Lukepro2315
    Lukepro2315 Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2022

After 6 years of playing DBD, 3,150 hours played and lot of money spended here, i think it's finally time to move on, and find another favorite game.

Just grabbing popcorn

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

2 sides for new players to choose from. Maybe they will have a bad experience with their first choice, good thing there's an alternative. Playing both gives great insight into what personal corrections can be made to improve.

Overall any failure will be from lack of experience regardless of side. Like with any game its up to the individual whether they tough out the learning curve.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

They already lost revenue from me today, by me opting not to purchase any of the AOT skins. That would have been a cool $40 for them (price of retail base game). I always buy cosmetics, but today I put my foot down and drew a line in the sand. Luckily for them the mid-chapter is Resident Evil, so I will get it. That may be the last time they see me buy anything again until ish gets ironed out for solo Que.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

You mean gain, right? Do you know how much new AoT skins I saw being played? Yea... $$$

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,410

Sorry, I still don't understand how 10% destruction speed and afterhit animation and 2.5% gen gen kicking is gonna affect the gameplay THAT drasticly, Personally, I didn't noticed much difference in killers basekit.

Relax, I think most of survivors just overreacting to things, due to aftermath of shaking the meta.=)

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

Lol. New killers absolutely dominating on new survivor players.

And...are you sure "New players will play against new players" because I don't think so.