You're bad if you run the meta, apparently.

So i've heard from people who take considerable amount of joy in dancing in some ashes and pointing and laughing at people, that you need to "get good" without your "crutches" and you were trash if you ran some certain perks. I won't nameCOUGHDEAD any perksCOUGHHARD, but that seems to be something of a recurrent theme right now.

Here's the truth: running a good perk says nothing about your skill. It just shows that you're running a good perk. And shockingly, good players make better use of good perks than bad players.

More often than not, frothing in rage at people that need to "get good" without their "crutch" is how people that had their entire rears force-fed to them by good use of the perk is how people desperately trying to preserve their ego cope.

You didn't actually win, you had a crutch carry you to victory. You won, but you didn't beat me.

It's lame.

Comments

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454

perks are pretty controversial here, what do you expect.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060
    edited July 2022

I mean...the proof is in the pudding. Those that relied on Dead Hard? They don't know what to do now that it's gone, and it's hilarious. The amount of survivors i've gone against, and seen other people (like creators) verse, who go down like a sack of broken hammer handles, is hilarious.

It's a pretty good indicator that since chases are ending that much quicker without their E key, they weren't as good as they thought they were.

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,564

You can run anything in this game and you'll still be judged.

I will never forget the time a killer got mad at me because my Flip-Flop allowed me to escape a match once.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I hate when people shame others for using meta perks. Its utterly childish and rude like no one have ever used meta perks before

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,962

I've gotten flak for using soul guard supposedly it's a crutch perk noobs use

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

I got flak for using Repressed Alliance....I was called a bad player for using it even though it kept the Gen from regressing lol

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,962

How does that make you a bad player it's very useful in situations where the gen is like 95%

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

The most ridiculous one I've read today was that it doesn't matter that all of the survivor Meta perks got nerfed to ashes *because a good survivor shouldn't need to run perks at all*. Every perk is a crutch. All items are OP.

Survivors should just load into a match slugged. And if Unbreakabill becomes Meta? CRUTCH. Then the devs will nerf it. lol

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

That's the point players will always find fault in everything they will blame the patch when their skills were being carried by perks or they don't want to admit they got played so they insult someone else

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,493

Well I have had people tell me that I didn't win the game but my killer won it for me...

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

While I don't think that everyone who runs meta is bad, there are definitely a pretty considerable amount of people who aren't that good without certain meta perks. I don't think I have to mention which perk I'm talking about but after it got changed a lot of survivors have a noticeable difference in their gameplay.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,884
    edited July 2022

Busted perks aren't going to win matches for you if you're terrible (no, not even NOED), but a decent player can achieve boosted status by leaning on them.

Good/great players are going to remain good/great, but average/decent/mediocre players who leaned on DH are going to be faced with a dose of reality.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    edited July 2022

Crutch perks do definitely exist though. I ran DMS and PR together which only ended up making me a worse player ata higher MMR. After I took it off I realised how kinda bad at killer I was

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

You are right to some extent, any dancing gleefully on the ashes 8s probably not good form or a show of good character, BUT there is the thing with options in games. There will always be something that's mathematically better then other and this will eventually form the meta of a game. If everything is well balanced and designed then you can pretty much make anything at least somewhat workable.

But if any option is way, way, way stronger then comparable other options in its class and if it becomes a no-brainer or auto-include for the vast population of the game, then you normally have a boosted or runaway option.

I will go so far and name a certain perk: DH. This was all discussed to death and you probably know all the ups and downs, but DH was such a runaway option. It stood head an shoulders above the rest (at least after BHVR adjusted the validation thing) and it was way more flexible and useful in nearly any situation, giving survivors a out-of-jail card if plaxed right and lead to a whole lot of very unfun situations were survivors escaped that should by all rights have gone down.

DH was in fact so strong, that it covered for a lot of mistakes and even boosted a lot of survivors over a long time. It consistently let them survive situations that they shouldn't have and became a crutch without even realizing it. A lot of survivors of medium looping skill still got out of tune pickle just because of this one perk.

On top of this you also head extremely good survivors, who could literally run some killers for 4 gens, who actually didn't needed this perk, bit ran it just in case. This survivors became nigh untouchable, because the strong effect was added to their considerable skill.

Now the new patch took away DH from most of the playerbase. The erstwhile amazing players are now still amazing at looping and will now just go down when they commit a mistake.

But the players who were only in their MMR bracket because DH boosted their survival rate beyond their skill? They get their crutch taken away and now literally planted their face nosedeep into the ground. They never learned how to loop beyond some basic tricks or how to escape a chase with trickery because they frankly never had to. This players are now in for a rude awakening and it sucks, but playing without DH is very possible, you just need to develop the proper skills. This will mean dying a good amount of times, and some players hate this, but the playing field has finally been leveled for the first time in years.

DH was so dominant and such an oppressive factor on the game that nearly everyone is feeling the Shockwaves right now. Again, I agree with you that its not good to rub it in and I try to make it easier on those players by playing, for the first time in month, by the survivors rulebook and going for maximum hooks were possible and by not tunneling. It feels like a gigantic slap of stone has been lifted from my shoulders and I can honestly enjoy playing killer again.

• tendyhands
    tendyhands Member Posts: 268
    edited July 2022

Meta indirectly means the best build and it will help you perform better than non meta. Typically people running meta builds will be better players. This is not very complicated.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

Exactly! I can finally try fun builds on killers instead of hardcore meta, just like I could and can continue to do with survivor and do just fine.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Sadly player shaming over what they run, aka pure distilled scrub mentality, is pretty normalized.

I know how you feel, I despise it so much that while it would be fairly extreme I would genuinely support straight up banning people for doing it. Extremely rotten mindset with the potential end point of "They used <thing I don't like>, that means it's justified to be genuinely toxic to them in end game chat, as merely equipping that thing is inherently toxic so they cast the first stone :)" which I've already seen many times throughout the years.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,584
    edited July 2022

I've seen a post like that earlier. It makes no sense to me.

What does it stems from, beside immaturity? Ill-placed self-righteousness? I hope they grow up someday.

Yeah, true, everybody rightfully expects a bad killer to have NOED.

Having NOED in game gave me 3 kills just because of that expectation.

I didn't used it, but I counted on survivors counting on me having it, wasting time to ensure their absolute victory against the obviously inept killer and I got three of them with Bloodwarden xD. (I needed one out for the timing though.)

That NOED aura reveal timing was such a good idea, survivors are more hopeful to find it in time now. 😁

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

Unfortunately, survivors don't get to complain about it. They were the ones who normalized it to begin with.