THANA Talk

Options
jajay119
jajay119 Member Posts: 876

Has anyone else noticed a MASSIVE increase in the use of THANA since the recent update? I'm seeing it currently in about 95% of matches and I personally think its having a massive impact considering the mid chapter changes; especially when it coupled with the likes of Corrupt or Dead Man's Switch.

What are people's opinions?

Comments

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Well obviously...

+10 sec to gens, and buff for thana...

Tho I still think pentimento is better in this case.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,879
    edited July 2022
    Options

It's doubly more effective now due to it's buff and the increase to base gen times.

Frankly it didn't need the buff, even without it it would still be a meta perk.

It could even be nerfed to 4% per stack and it would be on par with Gift of Pain.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Well since they buffed it and increased gen times its only the best slowdown in the game

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I think it's surprising the surge is so important considering the Thana buff was so small. Legions and Plagues use it a lot right now, but it was already very strong on them before. (Legion synergizes well with Nurses perks in general, in my opinion)

I think it's salt in the would because gens are already being done slower now and Thana is usually coupled with other slowdown perks, but to be fair, Thana in itself is fine. If it hadn't been buffed, we would have been 2% less frustrated (I'm saying 'we' as I've mostly played survivor since the update).

If there was to be a nerf, I'd rather it be on how many slowdown a killer can bring, and not on Thana particularly (or on any other slowdown perk particularly).

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370
    Options

It sucks on 95% of killers.

Nobody stays injured in my games, there is no reason to run this over a perk that actually does something meaningful.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options
  • fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

I'd say it's because nerfs to regression perks, no more pop, no more ruin, you can use PR but has no synergy with DMS... of course people will use thana, although pentimento seems a lot better than thana to me.

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thana is still a gimmicky perk only useful on certain killers, and those killers were using it before the patch anyway. The 2% buff was not really necessary maybe.

• jajay119
    edited July 2022
    Options

So, would you recommend maybe removing the buff for it?

I was very aware that I didn't want the OP to be a 'OMG THANA IS THE KILLER DH NOW' type thread, but I can't help feeling that it's being stacked a lot at the moment and quite frankly it's making games pretty boring.

I'm getting a lot more unhooking and healing in, I'm not taking items in to make chests useful and I'm not running boons to add variety to the gameplay.

It's a vicious circle cause I'm either making the match last longer by not doing gens... or sitting on gens for longer bored and THANA is a really exasperating that particular situation now.

I really wish BHVR would look at a more solid secondary objective if Theyre looking to extend matches and give killers more time against gens, personally.

• Seraphor
    Options

It could easily deal with a nerf to 4% per stack and still be a decent slowdown perk and still be very effective on Plague and Legion.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

You can remove the buff or even nerf it but ultimately nothing changes, game will be still boring.

There is still other slowdowns and NONE of them worth nerfing, hell thana itself will not really worth nerfing.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2022
    Options

It's only good on few killers or if you run full passive slowdown "Forever" builds.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

It's the same experience it has always been, easily countered by stealth and healing. Survivors have to be playing poorly or extremely outclassed for this perk to seem out of hand.

• TinoTheThortino
    TinoTheThortino Member Posts: 35
    Options

Thanato, Pentimento, Call of Brine... yet, you don't need a brain to play killer because of the massive increase of time needed in order to repair all the gens: if you put some regressing perks, got buffed too... i don't even need to continue...

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

I use We'll Make It and Empathic Connections, Thanataphobia is an adaptation issue, not a gameplay issue.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

Thana never did it for me anyways. I still prefer Ruin+Undying on my Billy, but that's a different topic. Anyways I haven't played much since the last patch so haven't really seen how often Thana is used since buff.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 881
    Options

I don't think it's a great perk on most killers. You have to actually get survivors injured before it does anything, and its impact is really only hefty if at least 3 survivors are injured. At 1 survivor injured, an entire gen takes 5 seconds longer, at 2 injured, 11 seconds. Getting 3+ survivors injured is not something most killers are reliably able to do, let alone do so quickly and keep it that way for prolonged periods of time, and you have to consider that any gen progress survivors put in without being under the effect of Thana (or multiple stacks of it) further reduces its impact (e. g. if survivors repaired 50% of a gen before you were able to injure any or multiple survivors, now the repair speed reduction will obviously only affect 50% of that gen, meaning it will only be half the time slowdown).

Sure, if you have a Nurse or Blight or whatever and you see the red gen progress bar from Thana and get demolished, it's easy to think Thana had a notable impact on that round, but I guarantee that in the majority of cases, you could take Thana out of the equation and it wouldn't have changed much. It's often mostly a nocebo effect, and a "win more" option for these killers that would have most likely won in those instances either way. And personally, I think Pain Resonance is still a much more impactful "win more" option for killers like this than Thana.

Of course, there are some killers it really is very good on. Legion and Plague first and foremost, who can quickly and reliably get most if not all survivors injured, and keep it that way. It can also be decent in hit-and-run strategies alongside Sloppy Butcher and whatnot, on killers like Sadako or Wraith. It can be stacked with stuff like Gift Of Pain, Dying Light and Pentimento, but stacking stuff doesn't actually increase its impact, Thana still only does the % it does, it mostly serves a "win more" role again; Gift Of Paint and/or Penti are plenty slowdown on their own.

So with that said, if I as a survivor see Thana on a killer that isn't Legion/Plague, I feel pretty good about them having spent a perk slot on that. Naturally that doesn't necessarily mean I will survive, with the average level of random survivors, a competent killer can win even without perks altogether.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 534
    Options

The problem is that it's never thanataphobia on it's own. They just stack slowdowns.

• Sludge
    Options

Killers were stacking slowdowns with thana before the patch.

Who would run thana by itself ever? lol

• Sludge
    edited July 2022
    Options

I don't know about you but I never ran thana on Plague or Legion without atleast 1 other gen perk EG: Ruin/Pent/PainRes.

Thana by itself is useless

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370
    Options

I mean yeah, legion is a weak killer. He at least needs more help from slowdowns. Dunno about plague though. Havent played her much and havent played much against her.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Yeah but those slowdowns are fair now, with the gen increase, I'd say thana could've used a small nerf as well

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 449
    Options

Everyone is running it, so it will get nerfed. This is why we can't have nice things. It will probably get changed to only affect the injured survivor instead of all of them.

• Sludge
    Options

Thana actually needs buffs if people expect every killer to be limited to one gen perk per build

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

Thana and Dying Light are broken on Legion and Plague. Either you waste time healing (Legion) or give more power to the killer by cleansing (Plague) or you endure a gigantic slowdown. Dying Light speed bonus to the obsession is worthless when you are versing those 2 killers.

• Sparks741420
    Sparks741420 Member Posts: 134
    Options

Thanat literally is broken... Almost every match that starts with Thanat ends in a 4k.. let's be honest the amount of low MMR killers has skyrocketed... Even So High MMR survivors have lost matches against Low MMR killers who flat out suck... simply because perks like Thanat literally carry... They've made it soo much easier to get 4k's its insane.. I personally have yet to NOT get a 4k with a Thanat/Save the Best combo.... It's 100% a massively broken update..

• Toaster427
    Toaster427 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Killers who need to run thana are simply just not skilled at the game.

Sorry that facts hurt. It's a crutch for bad killers.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

It’s extremely useful on certain killers though fewer rather than on more murder hookers.

• Seraphor
    edited July 2022
    Options

As Plague, Thana is used as a tool to encourage survivors to cleanse and give you your power.

Just like Legion, it's virtually mandatory, and not used purely for it's reduced repair speed, but to get survivors healing. Both these killers benefit by having survivors heal themselves, which is why they became pretty common after the CoH meta.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,933
    Options

The actual buff is not a real problem, its just a 2% more in the rare cases when you get everyone injured. Its just super counterintuitive that they buffed this perk, ever so slightly, in the same patch were they introduced a +10 base gen time, this just feels so random and not well thought through and 100% unneeded.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I think the reason they buffed it is that BHVR logic was as follow : "we want to take all the most used/meta perks, and nerf them, but don't worry, we've selected OTHER less used perks with similar effects and buffed them istead".

This is why Thana and Overcharge got buffed, even if they're slowdown.

So even though gen time is longer, the devs DID intend for killers to use various slowdown perks. (whether we agree with them or not is irrelevant in that case)

• jajay119
    Options

Exactly. I did say I'm my OP that I am seeing it a lot in conjunction with other slowdown perks.

I do see a lot of people thinking those linked perks are the bigger cause of slowdowns and the grind though.

I guess I'm just more aware if Thana because it appears on screen when it's active and by extension I see it a lot more than I used to. Plus, like we said - it's very rarely alone so it's also a good marker of a match that's gonna have a lot if gen time.

• jajay119
    Options

Well, hopefully this is something they review and/or rework - preferably rework with a mind to revaluation the gens altogether because spending so much time on gens is honestly an absolute bore. Plus people are clearly giving up earlier too if a killer is Tunnelling, gets an early kill it there's a disconnect because right now 4/5 gens between 5 people feel way too oppressive. Perhaps it wouldn't if the hatch worked as it used to or if they reworked it but it doesn't and I don't see them touching it (despite saying they would) any time soon.