Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Can we please have a fov slider ( is there reasons not to have one?)

DredgeyEdgey
DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,373
edited August 2022 in General Discussions

A little while ago one of the 3 games that I play got a for slider added to it and it is amazing for such a competitive game

Now I was wondering if it would be possible to change shadow born and add a fov slider that caps at shadow born fov

I was thinking shadow born could have a new effect like if your futher than 48m from a surivor you are invisible to them and they cant read your aura

( chose 48m because Michale max range is like 40m)

Post edited by DredgeyEdgey on

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

"Mah stealth!!1!" - someone that doesn't like accessibility options and is looking for excuses, probably

• DredgeyEdgey

There's not really a reason to not have it.

Devs will have to be careful with a fov slider for surivor but killer allready has it locked behind a perk

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 460

I use Shadowborn. it takes up a perk slot but killers were buffed so that they would no longer feel the need to run four slowdown perks. Except for one Blight and one Hillbilly, I haven't faced a killer running Shadowborn. Killers still running four slowdowns is the majority of matches. No more basekit perks for killer, they're already profiting from 2+stacks of Thana, 2 stacks STBFL, tier 1 Brutal, and the reduced distance gained after injuring a survivor.

• DredgeyEdgey

True but people experience motion sickness from the fixed fov so that's why I wanted to change shadowborn as well as make it a slider for both sides. Killer allready has it behind a perk but surivor dosent. We would have to be careful with the surivor but it should be a thing

• neotax
    neotax Member Posts: 13

16:10 21:9 32:9 monitor users and people who suffer from motion sickness and don't like low FoVs are not allowed to have comfort/ fun or see clearly.

It would be bad if more people would play the game and give BHVR money. But that is not possible because DbD is apparently a hardcore competitive game!

I'm looking forward to the new major where it's about 10mio$ prize money!!!

now people could come with streched from before, if you had a fov slider no one would cry because again all have the same requirements without changing configs. This only happens when you put in restrictions without thinking and do not improve or renew them for years. 

Alone the solution to fix streched is so badly implemented that every game developer would have to bend the hair, instead of opening things for everyone as for example with a fov slider people were locked out and now have blackbars on their monitors or 60% zooms.

Just as it is a topic 60fps lock, we have 360hz+ monitors and are locked to 60 fps and 120 with configs. And apparently no dev of BHVR plays other games or their own on a PC what alone with the fps lock is a nogo already 10 years ago.

sry that it is written this way but it is just embarrassing that things that are game standards will apparently never see in DbD.

• Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 221

Any graphics options that will bring a competitive advantage won't be implemented, and that's reason enough.

• DredgeyEdgey

Rainbow 6 has a fov slider and its way more competitive than dbd I know it's like comparing oranges to mangos but still

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

The difference is in rainbow your all on the same playingfield. It might be different if killer and survivor used the same perspective, but an you imagine anyone playing first person survivor or going against 3rd person killer.

The thing i dont understand is how the fov matters so much. I only ran shadowborn on wraith going for adept, i honestly didnt notice any difference. I guess for nurse cause so much of her screen goes black after a blink maybe.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

What may be a graphics option to you is an accessibility option to others.

I’ve met people who can’t play certain killers without Shadowborn because of motion sickness.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Because everyone would just go to the same POV for a competitive advantage, and some players would feel forced into it to have the same advantages even if they dont like the look of it.

While I'm all for options and accessibility settings this is one I dont much see the need for, keep the pov stuff to other games.

Side note, your camera will glitch through so much stuff too and make certain tiles play completely different, it's why stretch res was an issue....

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Iv also met people who use stretch res and filters because it "looks better"

• Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 221

I've met people who are hearing impaired. Should they get visual clues for all the sounds you need to pay attention to in the game?

The more "accessible" a game is, the less it actually challenges the average player. DBD is a challenge to your attention and your senses per game concept.

Rainbox Six is a completely different game that does not emphasize staying undetected vs dying helplessly for survivors and trying to sneak up on someone concentrating on skill checks for killers. It's an FPS that is about precise aim and reaction and having eyes in the back of your head very rarely changes anything.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

FOV on both sides would need to be done carefully. Increasing survivor FOV isnt as impactful to a game compared to increasing killer FOV. Increasing killer FOV isnt just for motion sickness etc, increased FOV also means gaining a lot more information. Its going to be quite weird for 2 killers to play the same match, but one gaining less info purely due to the change in FOV.

There were very similar reasons behind scratchmarks and bloodstains not simply getting a different texture for colorblind people, because it would basically give a huge advantage by using it if you were not colorblind. The same is true for things like the terror radius, right now even with a really good headset, Spinechill gives me extra info that a Terror Radius was there. It gives me 0.3 seconds extra info, but thats quite a big gap. At least in this case, everyone will recieve the info at the same time, but you can see how this can work against a killer that uses M&A because the terror radius will increase in intensity very quickly visually, but not audibly.

This is basically why adding an FOV slider isnt as simple as it might sound.

In a game like Rainbow 6 Siege, everyone has equal access to FOV. But in a game like DBD, the FOV isnt the same for all players. That makes it different.

Would I personally like a bigger FOV? Yeah, definitely. But at the very least, I would add a reversed FOV, where bloodlust will make your FOV smaller to hone in on that one survivor, with Bloodlust 1 being basically the current FOV.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,452
    edited August 2022

It's for balance reasons, BHVR knew this back in 2016 which is why it hasn't changed since.

The highest form of stealth is a survivor flinging their camera and walking into your face to make you miss, just like getting out of the killers sight in a real horror movie.

• Neyar
    Neyar Member Posts: 65

I don't understand why Shadowborn isn't a slider bar in the settings menu, personally. I feel the same way about Spine Chill as a visual indicator for the hard of hearing. With the Spine Chill thing, you could easily make a visual indicator HUD option in the settings that does the same thing. If you're really worried that it'll get abused, then make the visual setting also force-disable game audio.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,851

Or even just proper ultrawide support would be great...

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571
    edited August 2022

It is a huge shame that ultrawide resolutions and the fov are handled the way they are.

At the very least they could make Shadowborn do something else for you on top of the fov increase so that it doesn't just feel like a wasted perk slot. You can't seriously tell me that anyone at Behaviour thinks increasing fov is as powerful as a gen slowdown or aura reading perk.

• neb
    neb Member Posts: 790

how elsh am i gonna do my EFF O VEE TECH

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

Saying something “looks better” is way different from saying “I need to use this so that I don’t get motion sickness after playing as a high movement speed killer for 5 minutes”

I really don’t see how a higher FOV would be so unfair anyways. You don’t see anyone using Shadowborn unless they want to feel more comfortable when playing certain killers like Blight or Billy.

• DredgeyEdgey

Then we're all on the same playing field then or close to it