How fun is not really accessible as survivor most of the time

Options

I can only speak for myself, but I guess most survivors agree with me if I say, that interacting with the killer like being in a chase etc. is what makes most games fun. But the last few patches made the "fun" part not really accessible anymore.

U have to commit to the gen or otherwise it will decrease within few seconds, if I put it dramatically. The new meta change did nothing - Killers are still running 4 slowdown perks and gens are taking longer than before. Even if we ignore the whole buffs towards killers + the survivor nerfs, I am not willing to stay in a 20 minutes long match against a legion where I only can repair gens or mend myself.

My experience right now is worse than before. I still only face nurse, blight and legion with 4 slowdown perks and really strong addons, where I either can do generators or die. And I notice a big increase towards tunneling since the patch but that is a different topic.

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

game is never meant to be chase simulator, if it was one, that was a problem.

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370
    Options

I mean it takes 2 minutes 30 seconds to fully regress a gen with CoB its not so bad.

Sorry i lied thats with CoB and Overcharge and can be cancelled with a quick tap.

CoB needs 4 minutes 45 seconds

And overcharge is 3 minutes 3 seconds.

Pop is meh.

PR is probably the best one and its only 13 seconds + the killer doesnt get notified where you are so you can just keep working on it.

Lets not pretend like killer slowdowns didnt get gutted. Please.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Also not literally everybody is running slowdown perks. I’ve been taking the opportunity since the rework to run loadouts with no slowdown at all and just chase related things. Right now my favorites are Backpack builds (Agitation, Mad Grit, Starstruck, Forced Penance) and Juggernaut builds (Endurance, Brutal Strength, Bamboozle, Fire Up). They’re not “optimal” builds but with the 10 extra seconds per gen they are more effective than they used to be. (I also sometimes run the all Scourge Hook build, that has one slowdown in it though and I don’t run it as often right now since I enjoy enhancing my chases.)

Anyway point is while you can obviously do well with heavy slowdown builds, one of the nice things about the rework is you can opt to run other things you find fun and it works better now.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,178
    Options

What perks are you running into OP and what do you think would be fair regression values for them?

• EternalSinOfCain
    EternalSinOfCain Member Posts: 132
    Options

Well that's for one simple reason. You, like many other Survivors, only find "fun" as winning *and* humiliating the Killer in the process. It's not enough to win by doing the gens and getting a pip, or even escaping. You have to dominate the Killer in every aspect, or it's "not fun." Wining the Gen Game, Escaping, and humiliating Killers in chases. You want it all.

To combat Gen Slow down perks Survivors could bring Speed Up perks. Prove Thyself, (only need 2 with this by the way), and Resilience. Healing Speed Up perks to waste less time healing (We'll Make It, Autodidact, Botany Knowledge, ect.) Plus, you have Too Boxes and Med Kits.

Not saying you're toxic, though many Survivors are, but if utter domination in everything is the only thing you find "fun", then that's a mind set problem. You don't get to dominate every aspect of the game. Chases are supposed to be what Killer's dominate at. Doing Gens are what Survivors are supposed to dominate by being efficient. Escaping and dying is the struggle between the two. Take away the Killers ability to dominate the chase, then they just loose.

That's what has driven my bonkers with Dead By Daylight over the past 5 years. It's not about "winning or loosing" for Survivors, it's about dominating the Killer and humiliating them at everything.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333
    Options

Imagine a perk that if you unhook someone a gen is 15% done

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826
    Options

It sucks because when you want to pip up you have to get a bit of everything in and still escape. I miss the old system so much where you really had to be clever and a team player to reach red rank, now all I see is people urban evading around the map and only doing gens when necessary ;-;. Still, I have fun by running some goofy perks these days! I usually run diversion which sometimes comes in hand if you're looking for hatch, and everyone knows I'm a total sl*t for lockers. I run head on constantly lol! Until the game becomes fun again you have to make your own fun <3

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

I mean, players are allowed to find the game less fun without it meaning they used to bully the killer.

I personally think it's less fun because as much as I used to keep an eye out for totems and chests, now spending any amount of time you're not chased not on gens is pretty lethal for the team, as virtually no one in my mmr knows how to loop.

Low mmr got pretty unbalanced. That survivors there don't find the game as fun doesn't mean they were bully squads.

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

I know that putting people words in their mouth they have never used, is a normal thing in this community, but no. I find fun in interacting with killers - not in winning and humiliating killer or the player behind it. These are things that you are interpreting.

It is just that holding M1 for 10 minutes is just boring. And I am forced to it since u have to commit otherwise CoB + Overcharge is gonna destroy that gen. And the meta has not changed anything in terms of killers using only anti-gen perks.

• serpentk1ng
    serpentk1ng Member Posts: 18
    Options

You have that perk basekit on every survivor. It's called your other two teammates doing gens. Killers don't have that, so they have to use their perk slots to apply the pressure.

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826
    Options

I'm sorry most of your matches have gone this way :(. It's easy to fall into that mindset of having to play really hard to win on either side, but being a total jerk about it when it's unwarranted sucks. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely dropped my ass to the floor at the exit gates, in my reeboks (the ones with the strands), but that is saved for really mean killers lol! I have mostly played with really respectful teammates who don't stick around at gate waiting for the EGC timer to run out, but I have seen my fair share of rude players. My first few times playing killer I got matched up with red rank SWFs and I was a little ghostface main playing on xbox... it didn't end well haha :)! I wasn't humiliated or even pissed off at them, I just realized that it's frustrating to try your absolute best just to be brushed off. That's the name of the game tho. It's gotten better for me at least, it's very rare for me to run into survivors who stick around just to be rude. Anyways, I hope you have better matches and see that most of the skilled players are kind and play fair <3!!

• dictep
    Options

Imagine if killers need to go to a gen to hit it! I wanted to make gens while I’m moving around the map also

• Dead_Harder
    Options
  • The_Daydreamer
    Options

The video shows that your numbers are wrong. the combo needs about 2:30 minutes to completely regress a 99.99% generator. Now imagine that against solo q. I know it is a common trend to just spit some numbers but no.

• zgameboy
    zgameboy Member Posts: 79
    Options

Why would you get rewarded for the killer doing their objective. I mean that is one way to make sure the killer camps the hook lol. Also killer perks have to be stronger than survivors because its 16 v 4 perks in a game.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

Yeah I can pretty much relate to that. I used to play Bond, Open Handed, Kindred and Better Together, but lately I really feel forced to play as efficient as possible. Only do gens, no totems, no healing only gens. Not fun build, only anti tunnel perks with prove thyself. It is really stressful right now.

• Dead_Harder
    Options

Please go back and read it again, i said 2 minutes 30 as well lol :)

And considering it takes 1 minute 30 to completely repair a gen, using 2 perk slots to regress it in 2 whole minutes and 30 seconds is insanely bad.

Not to mention they are painfully bad on their own.

No matter how you look at it this is just weak and worse its countered by tapping it instantly. You can even do it during chase. Is this the fearsome slow down meta lol.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

You're right, I didn't misread your comment - I apologize for that. That was my bad.

But I am still standing behind my comment - the meta has not changed in itself. It just made solo q much worse and keeps forcing survivors to commit to generators. It is, at least not for me, not fun. Doing gens for over 10 minutes or long is just not fun. And if you keep tapping the gen, then it will regress more if he keeps kicking it. U can make fun of it, but the truth looks different if you are not a super swf tournament group.

• EternalSinOfCain
    Options

Except it's not really putting words in your mouth. You complain about Gen Slow Down Perks, when you have speed up perks. You want to be chased all match, but have the power to stand up to the Killer and lead him on a Wild Goose Chase. How is that not humiliating for the Killer? That's what the Killer is supposed to be the King of, The Chase.

Also, if you want to be chased all game. What's stopping you? Go find the Killer while the others bang out gens, and wiggle your butt in his/her face and have them chase you. You can still do that just fine. Is it "not fun" to be chased because you're going to go down too fast and die? Is being chased all the time only "fun" when you can still win as a result? You only have to do the gens if you want to win, but if you don't care and just want to have fun being chased, then go for it. No one is stopping you. Are you lamenting the fact you have to help at all on the gens?

Do the gens and get out. That's the point of Survivor in DBD, that's why it's called SURVIVOR, not RUNNER. It's not interpretation, it's what you want. If you want to be chased by something trying to kill you, but get away, then there are a plethora of other Horror games to pick from.

As a side note about your last second little "jab" about Killers tunneling : Why would you complain about being tunneled? Is that what you want? To be chased? Is this another case of "I want to be chased, but only if it's highly advantageous to me, and I win because of it." scenario?

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

Except you are putting words in my mouth but I guess that's normal for most people on the internet. You can interpret as much as you want, the truth looks different. If you don't agree with my subjective opinion thats fine. But if you have to put people words in their mouth just to feel better, then man, thats on you.

• EternalSinOfCain
    Options

Sure, thing. No counter argument. Getting called out sucks I guess.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    Options

Considering how many actual accessibility issues the game has (while being purposely ignored,) probably not the best word choice.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

In terms of what I was trying to say, it was a well thought and fitting choice. But I can see what you mean, I apologize if it made you or someone else uncomfortable.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    Options

I mean, if you really feel that way then pvp games in general probably aren't for you, since one person's fun generally prevents the other side's to at least some degree.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    Options

In my opinion, there's two fun parts of survivor. Getting chased, and tactical play.

Tactically going down for a teammate on death hook so the killer can either take a free hook on someone that has not been hooked, or continuing to chase someone that is now very far away. You can even go as far as taking tactical deaths so it's very easy for your teammates to open the exit gates.

Altering the gen spread by picking which gens to do first, so the gens become more and more difficult to defend as the game goes on.

Bringing info perks so you can always make the best decisions possible.

Making good callouts so your team is well informed on the killer's position and what perks or add-ons they are using (and what strategies to use against them), and which gens are getting done.

Knowing who needs to go for unhook, who needs to pick up slug, ect. Making it your job to be your team's radio operator is an absolute blast. There's more to do in this game than just hold M1 on gens and stun Wraith with ten different pallets.

• MaxIsBased
    MaxIsBased Member Posts: 52
    Options

It's funny when i see someone say that their experience is extremely bad while in the game when mine is the exact opposite for 99% of the games as survivor or killer.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

I agree that tactical play are fun aswell. That's why I said "Interactions with the Killer" which does not declude what you've said. Now tell, what am I suppose to "call out" for my team. Didn't know we had voice chat for solo Q. All that information talk is not really interacting with anything. i am aware of those things but it doesn't change what I've said. But I am appreciating your input.

Glad for you I guess?

• BenOfMilam
    Options

Discord is free, my good sir. If you play a team game by yourself, don't be surprised at the results.

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768
    edited August 2022
    Options

If you want to get chased just do a generator until you get chased, unless the killer wants to lose they have to chase you at some point, multiple times. Or just run right up to the killer and start one, nothing's stopping you.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

I don't know what your point is but solo q exist for a reason. And the problem is not the result of the match, even tho I am aware of the fact, that many here are not able to understand that.

Good for you that you enjoy most of your matches. Really, it is great. But that does not reflect everyones experience on this forum. And your experience does not invalidate my matches or feelings on this topic.

• BenOfMilam
    Options

My point is that missing out on team play and tactical fun and instead sitting in complete silence while you repair gens is not really anyone's fault but your own. Joking around with friends during the slow parts of DbD is more fun than staring at the repair meter go up by yourself.

There so much more to the survivor side of the game than getting chased. Saying you're not having fun with the game when you're not doing the thing that you only spend 1% of the match doing, well, it probably means you don't really enjoy the game in the first place. It's an unfortunate truth of the game being 4v1. The killer can only chase one survivor at a time, so you have to wait your turn and help your team in another way.

• The_Daydreamer
    Options

I understand what you're saying and it is not wrong in itself but you are just ignoring the problem. It's like someone is saying that clown is not strong and you are coming around the corner with "it is your fault for playing clown. Just play Nurse."

But your part with "Saying you're not having fun with the game when you're not doing the thing that you only spend 1% of the match doing, well, it probably means you don't really enjoy the game in the first place." doesn't really makes sense to me. Generators are of course a core feature of the game - but not the only one. And I don't think many people enjoy holding M1 for over 10 minutes based of the votes up I got of my thread. At the end I guess you disagree with me here which is fine. But it doesn't bring the conversation any further.

• dictep
    Options

A game with 0 hooks and 2 gens done can be perfectly a 2-4k if the killer camp/tunnel. A game with 1 surv dead and 0/1 gens done is 4k against a 4swf with 10000 hours each. How is that balanced?

• BenOfMilam
    Options

yeah problem is there is very little that can be done about the issue. Like I said, it's a 4v1 game and the killer can't chase everyone all at once. I'm not ignoring the problem, it's that the problem is impossible to solve. For your example, I would actually say "you need to play better and run strong builds to win with a worse killer", if you want a good idea of my character.

I understand your frustrations with not being able to do the thing that you want to do in the the game, I'm not trying to be flippant. Just that no solution exists to the problem of "the killer can only chase one person at a time, so the three people that aren't being chased have little to do." I would personally make generators into some kind of mini-puzzle instead of having skill checks. Like a word game or a matching symbols game. Something more fun than "press spacebar every couple seconds." (the problem with that is doing gens would take more player attention, and be way more risky and dangerous)

• Blackboar22
    Blackboar22 Member Posts: 19
    Options

I can see that u have gotten alot of hate, i think most of these people are just taking their anger from the game out on you, but i would really reccomend trying to join a discord group or just become friends with the one very rare teamate that is good or that u memed around with, even if y dont have a mic, people still play together tjrough texts, i hope ur matches improve

• Godhandkm
    Godhandkm Member Posts: 34
    Options

I'm a main killer, i think im are on a high mmr, I also play with each of the killers trying to combine the most perks... So I don't know how to say... Play the same killer is boring... Mmm nurse and blight need to be rework... But the core game is fine I think

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

Emphasizing the competitive element of the game was a mistake in my opinion. As hard to define as "fun" can be, it really should have remained the aim. I've never played this little since I picked up the game.