Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hooked on you? Why

feffrey
feffrey Member Posts: 886

I'm not sure of the marketing strategy for this game but it kinda ruins the aspect of Dead by daylight for me.

It changes the whole feel of the game to sexualize characters and takes the horror and thrill away

Why is the Devs focusing sexualation and and sexual preference of characters on these titles.

It just seems odd and cringy when games focus on making sexually appealing characters over the quality of the game

Comments

• feffrey

Whether or not it's apart of the same universe different game doesn't matter that it's the same characters and you can never see them the same again

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970
    edited August 2022

eh doesn't bother me they jumped the shark when it comes to serious horror like 4 years ago

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

Meme magic does wonders. People voted for it as a meme and the magic played out.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I mean, the game is a good laugh, if you're not taking it too seriously ! I wasn't around for that survey but the fact that they did make the game baffles me in the best ways. Definitely cringey, but also hilarious.

• Bloodwebs
    Bloodwebs Member Posts: 273

I bought the game for the DbD Jake skin and charm. Haven't touched the actual Hooked on You game at all

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

Similar fan art already existed. And I don't think BHVR sunk a lot of resources into the game, it was contracted out to Psyop, the people who made the KFC dating sim. Even if BHVR had made it themselves, visual novels are cheap and easy to make. Hooked On You can be seen as dumb fun or a bad joke. If the sexualized fan art didn't bother you, this really shouldn't, either.

It's not a bad thing that BHVR has a sense of humor about its creation. In Japan, it's common for artists to take very serious characters and make fun of them with chibi versions. (Go Nagai with Devilman in Chibi Go Nagai world is a perfect example.) It's also common for artists to make explicit art of their characters, to which Hooked on You is super tame in comparison.

But like I said, if you were able to ignore all the fan art, it should be the same thing to ignore this dating sim.

• ClarityOfWill
    ClarityOfWill Member Posts: 205

Heh, that's why I don't hang around here too often, far too much complaining. It's a harmless, fun little game and the self aware humor is actually pretty on point. The fact we didn't get nurse straight off the bat is criminal though lol.

Speaking of which. GG's btw, was a fun warmup game on nurse.

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143

The game is actually really good. It's not like BHVR made Hooked on you, because they wanted to sexualise DbD, but the community wanted a dating sim, so they gave us one. And like i said, it's a really good one. The game doen't take itself serious, and neither should you. The amount of self-irony in Hooked on you is so insane, but it is absolutely amazing. The dialogs are nothing but hilarious and the characters are perfekt. They are not supposed to be likable for everybody, but they have their own personality. I for my part, think Trapper and Trickster are really annoying, but not in a sense of bad character design, but in a sense of, they are supposed to be annoying. It never feels bruteforced or anything, it is just a game to have some fun, and it does this perfectly.

If you don't like it, ignore it.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

So long the Game isnt Canon and Not a Part of the DbD Killers Lore ist fine

Ist kinda like Mario Party or ans others Mario Spin Offs Why shouldMario Play whit his Enemy Bowser Football or Tennis ?

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436

Meh. I don't really care one way or the other, to each their own. DBD kinda threw out any chance of being considered a serious horror game when they started releasing silly outfits years ago.

• himheart
    himheart Member Posts: 100

>Dead By Daylight

>horror and thrill

lol. This game is nothing about horror after your first few weeks in it, and then it is a looping simulator. So relax, wait for Ada Wong release and enjoy the sexiest chick in DBD <3

• Ikalx
    Ikalx Member Posts: 134

I'm sorry but I can't help reading this as "Hooked on You" has ruined my innocence 🤣

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

The game isn't canon and it doesn't take itself too seriously. If it isn't your thing, just pay it no mind. It's existence has no actual bearing on DBD.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited August 2022

Sex and Violence have always been a part of the horror Genre, and while behavior have been focused partially on the Violence aspect in Dead By Daylight, they've been very apprehensive about the sex. By having a separate game that focuses on the latter, albeit in a cringey way that focuses on the sex appeal of the killers rather than any of the survivors, Bhvr finally get both of the staples of horror. It's like having two layers of a cake, until you put them together, you don't have the full product.

The sad part is that, in horror, sex and nudity are often used to create a feeling of vulnerability in the survivors/victims, but in Hooked on you, it's obviously an in joke about how thirsty the community is for the killers. The closest to nudity we get in DbD is actually on the killers as well with Hag (90% nude) and Spirits default skin (75% nude with a partially exposed ass crack), the same cannot be said for the survivors who at most are 50% nude (shirtless David). As for their sex appeal, its very debatable, and even the most risque outfits for the survivors are still very modest/show very little skin.

On top of all that, DbD is rated Pegi 18 or MA 17+ despite having no sex or sexual situations, hardly any gore to go with the meager amount of bloodshed, and the only swearing we get in it is in Korean (Tricksters Voice lines). Honestly, it BARELY passes the mark for a mature rating due to the horror themes and goal of the killers to, y'know, KILL survivors.

A little Sexualization in a SEPERATE game, obviously made as a "tongue in cheek" joke about the communities "thirst" is hardly something to whine about considering how, if the devs were ballsy enough to actually follow Horror themed traditions of Slasher films that this game is based off of, DbD would have EARNED its Mature rating.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Just throwing another drawing to make fun of the post : D

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

Hey, architecture is important, especially if it involves domes

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

I am glad to see that most people here echo your sentiment :>

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

I’ve always seen Trapper as a Sexy Muscular Daddy irregardless of how his in-game model leaves much to be desired.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I have no interest in playing it, but you can't argue it wasn't a smart business move. Sex sells. Period.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I just don't understand people spending money on any dating sim, especially this one.

If you really want to throw away money and get nothing out of it, I know of tons of hot singles in your area that would like to have a word 😂

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

"Hooked on you? Why"

Because "Hook-Up" was taken.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

The community literally asked for it.

• feffrey

I didn't ask for it sooo...?

I'm just not a fan of characters being sexulized I hated when fan art dud that as well and now seeing the Devs on board with it just make this game a sexual fantasy

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Just ignore it.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,495

And you have no obligation to play the game, what's your point?

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,538

The developers themselves have sabotaged the horror and thrill of the game by ruining the maps and taking away things like the Moonlight offerings.

A spin-off has nothing to do with it.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I didn't ask for it either, but when they put out a poll asking what the community would like to see and most of the replies are in favor of a Dating Sim, what do you want them to do?

I think its lame af, but I've got nothing but respect for BHVR for listening to their community. Not many companies would do such a thing

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

Its not canon

• GiveMeTheBox
    GiveMeTheBox Member Posts: 331

Thirsty simps bring in a lot of money

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

money n funny

• Neprašheart
    Neprašheart Member Posts: 439

The World doesn't revolve around you, the game's here because the majority of players have shared such an opinion.

The characters aren't being sexulized, or I don't understand the meaning of such a word.

Sure, there are two characters where sex has been obviously present, but so what? Most people do care about the story, about characters' personalities and interactions with each other, not about the content for 18+ audiences.

The game got popular, players have gotten attached to the characters based on their designs, so they've asked for something more. It could've been a bigger Project with even more characters, if the team would've been bigger, but it's quite fine the way it is.

If you do question visual novels, what's your take on books? There's literally no difference, besides books requiring to use your imagination numerous times more than in visual novels and visual novels containing artworks or voice lines (no need to use your imagination for those). It's easier to get the „entire picture“, it's easier to understand of just how has the author meant it all.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

And BHVR doesn't make it's business decisions based around just you soooooo....?

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,567
    edited August 2022

Neither did I, but I still find it one of the funniest things they could’ve possibly done.

And I say this as an ace individual.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,280
    edited August 2022

People get mad about everything nowdays.. Hooked on you is funny. Its cringy as hell but funny. If its not your thing dont play it.

Game didnt ruin dead by daylight for me its just funny game to play on the side.

Also i dont see any sex appeal on the game. The killers arent that goodlooking.. well some might say spirit is but for me i just found them horrible looking.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

It was made better tho