Does anyone else feel like tome challenges make or encourage you to throw the game?

Like going for the challenges such as glyphs instead of doing gens and unhooks.

Comments

• Teslaboi
    Teslaboi Member Posts: 107

YES. I never do rift challenges for that exact reason, and I loath when I see people doing them but nothing I can do about it.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

There definitely are some challenges that are throwing the game, especially older ones as well. Green glyphs on survivor side are the most throw the game type of glyph in my opinion, and any challenge that's hide within x meters of killer for x second is throwing as well.

Most of them can be done without throwing the game and it's just done passively. You can go out of your way to throw the game to finish it, but that's user choice at that point, not necessarily the challenge.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,169

I think the vast majority can be done without throwing the game

The problem though is there are many players who, either due to their own life time restraints or they're just impatient, do throw the game to get their challenges done.

Like as a killer when they have the "throw X pallets during a chase" challenge, I found many games where a survivor would actively find me, provoke me into a chase, and throw every single pallet in said chase they could find. It's a challenge they COULD do naturally if they just played a few games but they want it done asap so they piss away all the pallets in one chase and screw everyone over as all the pallets are now gone.

• TarunCosmo
    TarunCosmo Member Posts: 181

I play the game but make judgement calls to work towards rift challenges. Like if it's unhook survivors, I'll be the first person to get the unhook. If it's blind/stun or be chased, I'll be looping the killer that match.

I like them because it changes my playstyle.

I loathe totem cleansing ones. They should be removed. Not only finding the totems, but being a boon build I will hook suicide if I see a bunch of totems cleansed. So yes, totem cleansing makes me throw the game.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,055

I dont think you throw the game that much when doing them. You need to find a smart balance between still playing the regular game and doing challenges. The problem is, some people think that they need to do Challenges ASAP, which means that they only focus on them.

But it is undeniable that Survivor-Challenges are those which make you do other things than the actual Objective. While Killer-Challenges are "play the game" for the most part.

That being said, I really wish they would add some form of tracker for some challenges. E.g. those "hide within X meters"-Challenges.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

For sure there are rift challenges and daily rituals that work against you trying to win. I never go that far out of my way to do the rift challenges but if I’m doing a glyph one and I see a glyph I use it.

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

You can try some totem focused builds if you have the perks... totem/locker builds are kind of fun ngl.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,063

I got stuck with the last surv challenge of tome 1, "stun the killer 4 times with pallet"for such a long time that i can relate to some of the survs dropping pallets randomly.

• Phinick
    Phinick Member Posts: 8

I always do the easiest challenges first such as heal/unhook other survivors, fix gen, being chased, and take my time to complete totem/glyphs challenges, it's not like they will unlock next page in a few days.

Some challenges were ridiculously hard to complete if you are not a competent player. Such as hide within killer for x seconds WHILE INJURED, complete in SINGLE TRIAL, especially now they nerfed iron will makes it even harder.

• Rovend

For that challenge i had to play with No mither, Urban Evasion, Distortion and Distraction and pray that i would not be against doctor

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,320

There are definitely some challenges in these tomes that will make you question if the devs are trolling. I typically avoid those for that very reason.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,585

You say that like if there is the slightest doubt about it?

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

Some of the survivor challenges are extremely bad.

Killer challenges are usually like "kill survivors. kill more survivors. kill the obsession. kill even more survivors." Would be nice if survivors had mostly "do gens" as their challenges!

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,169

That one took me forfreakingever cause I was never willing to just waste pallets going for the challenge and most killers respect the pallet at my MMR. Just eventually finally had a random game when I managed it. Got my 4th pallet in the EGC

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Absolutely. If I have a tome challenge that I want to get done quickly, it is my primary objective. The outcome of the match is secondary. Sometimes I'll get my challenge done quick and suicide on the hook so I can get onto the next challenge. As a SoloQ I don't have to care about silly things like whether or not my teammates enjoy the game.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

I certainly think a lot of the single-trial challenges do, Heroic Cause and basically every single mission in Tome 1 being the biggest offenders

the problem with a lot of these challenges is that while they may make sense on paper, they usually make little sense in practice, and sometimes the wording on them is flat-out vague and misleading, such as the “hide within 10 metres of the killer” challenges

if a challenge requires other people to play along in order to get them, then they aren’t challenges, they’re exercises in patience

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

What do you mean, intoxicating someone with the After Piece Tonic and then healing them with the After Piece Antidote twice in one match as Clown is such a common occurence, you totally don't have to throw the match to get that done!

Also hiding within 10m of the Killer without being caught (i.e. in chase) for one minute in a single match as Dwight is a perfectly fine thing to ask of the player and will surely not result in them repeatedly throwing matches in order to try and get this done.

Sadly a bunch of the Master Challenges require exactly that from you: a farm game. The two I mentioned above ("Self-Deprecating Joke" and "Dwight The Brave") are far from the only ones that applies to on both sides. Many of them are extremely disconnected with the reality of DbD matches, which makes them almost unobtainable in an ordinary game.

• Rovend

I forced myself to use smash hit and went on like 20 games trying to complete it. What really made it so difficult (apart from the fact that you needed the 4 stuns in a single game) was that it specifically said "Pallet stuns" so no Decisive strike, Head-on, Blast mine could help.

I finally got it in midwich against freddy

• acharliet
    acharliet Member Posts: 155

Some challenges like opening 3 chests in single match are not a bit fair - when u r playing solo-q survivors. Many players want to make this challenge so sometimes might happen the gens r not poping because some teamates doing challenges. I dont mind some challenges but some can be not best towards survivors - like unhook 2 survivors with borrowed time while being in killer radius etc.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I really wish the tome challenges were more perk-value achievements than scavenger hunts, because they absolutely encourage players to throw the game right now.

BHVR has the opportunity to manufacture perk diversity by making challenges like "loot a chest while running Plunderer's & Ace in the Hole and escape through the exit gates with a plundered item X times," instead of "loot 3 chests in a single trial."

Then in the same tome give the killers a challenge like "use Franklin's Demise to prevent a survivor from leaving the trial with an item in hand X times."

Bam! Now you've created a mini-game, without detracting either side from prioritizing the objective.

I would love to see more tome challenges that shake up everyone's perk loadout. It is healthy for the game, and it would be helpful for the devs to understand where perks over/under perform

• Cryptikk
    Cryptikk Member Posts: 418

And also it would encourage perk use and builds outside of the meta.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

If you need a pallet to run a killer, you are a bad survivor. That is what I tell myself as I use every pallet on the map and type, "gg ez baby killer" after my 4 gen chase that I only got because I used literally every pallet. Nobody ever saw it coming. That Claudette that ran into the deadzone and went down in 10 seconds will be remembered. I actually forgot her name, but let's pretend to honor her.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 461

Specially that one that requires you to hide in the terror radius.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

Yes. Yes I do. Sadly my reptilian mind is incapable of just ignoring them.

So satisfactory when you check that little "done" mark on your brain

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Yes. Like those "hide within x meters of the killer for y seconds" challenges that you have to do in a single match. You basically have to follow the killer around all match to get any progress towards it.

• Zamiwami
    Zamiwami Member Posts: 24

Often the challenges encourage me to play the game, after 900+ hours it gets a bit stale so a secondary challenge is fun.

Some of the challenges prompt a different build or playstyle, like the rescue or sabo challenges, to me its fun.

I have never throws to get them, but that's just my experience :)