Bets on how long until they hide prestige?

Options

Since the devs didn't like people referring to grades after SBMM was introduced to complain about the poor matchmaking, I'm wondering how long it's going to take for them to hide prestige as well? People are dodging lobbies and bullying/making fun of low prestige players already, so I can't imagine that complaints about the matchmaking system's abysmal performance won't start drifting towards referring to the prestige levels of others in the lobby.

I'm giving it 3 months tops.

Comments

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

I was wondering this as well.

• spodamayn
    spodamayn Member Posts: 220
    Options

Well yeah, that situation is completely different. I'm not gonna dodge all Rebecca and Adas when the new DLC is out lol. But using that as a basis for any characters that have been out for a long time is more like an educated guess (which tends to be right most of the time). The only other exceptions I can think of might be if someone is doing a tome challenge or a daily ritual, but that tends to be rare.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

Eh, I feel like the more we go forward, the less this is going to hold

Don't get me wrong, I too judge my killer lobbies based on the prestige level of survivors, I just think that it's going to be a lot harder to be accurate with the prediction later on

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,790
    Options

I really want them to hide prestige. I hope they do. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely because showing prestige is a psychological tactic to get players to compete via prestige levels. BHVR lessened the perk grind, so they created this new grind with prestige levels going up to 100 and they want players to get invested in it by treating it like a competition. People may not place a high value on prestige levels if other players can't see them.

BHVR highly values the grind in this game. They think it's the only thing that keeps people playing.

• spodamayn
    Options

I do think prestige levels should be hidden from the killer though, just not from other survivors. If there's 2 people with no prestige while the other 2 are p9+, there's a chance the killer targets the survivors with no prestige which isn't really fair, but I also can't blame the killers for doing it because of the ######### way it's set up

• SlowLoris
    SlowLoris Member Posts: 282
    Options

I actually hope they don't hide them. I've found I get less frustrated when MMR messes up and gives me baby teammates, because I see their prestige at the start. Like, if I see someone P3 or less, I know that either they barely play that character, or they're newer to the game. So, I get less frustrated when they do something that seems like trolling, etc. Whereas, I know that's not the case if they're P10+ on someone. Not guaranteed, but a good indicator. I really hope they don't remove it.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

I think it's going to be relatively quick. A month? 2? There's already people that admit to dodging lobbies based on prestige and if there's anything that's obvious to me to help with matchmaking, it's to stop the lobby dodging, and whatever the reason is that people lobby dodge. High prestige? Dodge. Low prestige? Dodge. SWF? Dodge. TTV? Dodge. Default cosmetics? Dodge. Whatever the reason, it makes matchmaking #########. C'mon.

As far as prestige, I think it should be shown after the game is done. Same thing for player names and even certain offerings.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

Nah, it should be hidden for everyone

Just like rank wasn't tied to skill, prestige is exactly the same and shouldn't be shown to anyone.

It's funny though seeing that BHVR repeats every time the same "mistakes" when there is a chance

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

People have already called me a low hour noob because my character was "only" at P5 :'D

• MissiCiv
    MissiCiv Member Posts: 41
    Options

probably 3-4 months till they fix this

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

I hope they do hide the prestige levels. I think it's a useless thing to show, I don't like how it looks, and I don't like that people are commenting on it. If people put their game time on private on steam, it's precisely so that other players don't see how much time they have on the game. I don't want people using prestige levels to guess at their experience and make smart comments.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,563
    Options

As long as there are people who put a hideous amount of bp into their characters, only to play like complete trash, I think it's fine.

• Zen_but_not_Zen
    Zen_but_not_Zen Member Posts: 230
    Options

They'll show this useless prestige info, but not something useful like a players loadout in lobby. Hope it gets removed with the new chapter.

The prestige level just draws too many assumptions and lobby dodges. I have a few characters P0 because i invested no real time in them pre patch and ran out of time to P1, but they all have the T3 perks i regularly use from the characters i did have prestiged/L50 and 270+ perk tiers.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    edited August 2022
    Options

There was never a reason to prestige and the new system didn't changed that at all, sadly. All you need is at least having every char P6 to get all Tier 3 Perks on everybody. No one sees your red character portrait, looks for prestige charms or does care for a number in front of you name. When i see high numbers these days i either think "boosted SWFs", "cheated" or "wow, what a waste of lifetime".

At some point, everyone will reach P100 (at least with 1 certain char) anyway and than what? Nothing... It's just playtime.

If anything, devotion level should be the number to show up in front of the names. Maybe.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,808
    Options

I hope they hide it because as we know (and have seen already in this thread), people will ascribe meaning to it that isn't there.

I am not the best surv out there, but I have about 1.2K hours in surv, and half my roster are P1, and another quarter are below P6. If I decided to use one of them (for a challenge, change of pace, or whatever), what are people going to assume about me? And I am sure there are tons of other players in the same situation.

And maybe there are people out there who never used certain survs because they didn't have the perks they want on them, and now due to the new system they may be starting to. You never know.

All that said, I think cosmetics plus low prestige is a red flag, especially if it's a character who comes with the base game and gets lots of cosmetics (Meg, for example).

But otoh, an experienced surv could use that as a smokescreen.

But at the end of the day, I think it's best they give us nothing, because people will assign meaning to anything. It's also funny that they hid grade because people were using it as a measuring stick, and then replaced it with prestige, which is no better. Best we see nothing unless they come up with a rank system that is accurate (which will never happen in this un-balanceable game).

• spodamayn
    Options

It's more about playtime than skill. Grades/ranks were tied to resets which would set them back, meaning if someone was a low grade then it could mean they're experienced but just haven't played in a while. Prestige levels have no such thing, so if someone isn't above P0 there's a decent chance theyre fairly new or don't have a big selection of perks. I personally don't think they'll remove it.. at least for a while because they were using prestige levels as a way to encourage people to grind for bragging rights. But I also feel like those bragging rights have less meaning to a killer than a survivor, and killers will just tunnel people that they recognize as having a low amount of playtime

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I don’t know why they bothered showing Prestige since it’s meaningless to anybody other than yourself but I don’t care much either way. 🤷‍♂️ If they remove it I’m ok with that, if not I ignore the number anyway.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,109
    Options

Came here to say exactly this. Like, haven't we seen this movie before? In the end it's all meaningless and just gives people fuel for their assumptions about other players in the lobby.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,109
    edited August 2022
    Options

Haha...That's tragic comedy. People just be doing too much sometimes.

• BlazePyron2
    BlazePyron2 Member Posts: 145
    Options

The fact that bhvr keeps hiding metrics to cover up their terrible matchmaking really drives me nuts. It was really kind of nice to see that when I get stomped as killer it's cause it's four rank 1s.

On the other hand I played against a prestige 28 Kate the other day and was unsurprised when she ran pixel-perfect chases, thankfully matchmaking sometimes will toss me a soloq potato if it gives me someone obviously beyond any normal player's skill level.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Except I don't like Dwight or Claudette but occasionally get a daily for them so they're sitting at P3 with default cosmetics. Or I never got around to getting Quentin, Laurie, Jill, or Cheryl to P1 before the update so they're still at P0 and I have 1500 hours in the game. Even no prestige is still absolutely no indicator of a person's skill or time commitment to the game.

• Shenshen
    Shenshen Member Posts: 256
    Options

Yeah, I hope they hide the prestige levels. Nobody should be judged based on how often they prestige a character. I played against so many prestige 20+ players who were straight up bad at the game and a lot of people without prestige and they were gods. I think hiding it will benefit both sides.

• JacobiusWick
    JacobiusWick Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2022
    Options

Optional maybe, I'm unsure if it really makes a difference at this point.

Post edited by JacobiusWick on
  • ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542
    Options

People just need to change there mindset and start to realize that prestige has nothing to do with mmr, i could have a prestige lvl 0 Steve but then a prestige lvl 20 meg all it shows is that i put all my blood points into meg and just enough to unlock his 3 teachable perks, some people didn't want to prestige before the new system came into play.

If they hid the prestige lvls the forums and after match chat will start to fill up with people complaining that they are getting people that are not in the same MMR as them and that all match they did nothing while they ran the killer for 5 min.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814
    Options

The people who play 300+ games a week are, no doubt, annoyed by people not wanting to play against them, so they will complain about evidence of the Matchmaking failure leading to lobby dodging.

I give it a month.

• ThundahBolt
    ThundahBolt Member Posts: 18
    Options

I hope they give a toggle to hide them. So much more endgame toxicity since they have become public.

• Zen_but_not_Zen
    Zen_but_not_Zen Member Posts: 230
    Options

Problem with toggle is that it's optional, and those using it to make assumptions will likely still do so.

• ThundahBolt
    ThundahBolt Member Posts: 18
    Options

That is true. Well, removed or toggle on/off would work for me and I hope BHVR does it soon.

• David_Leon
    David_Leon Member Posts: 33
    Options

They could hide devotion too.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

“I hope they don’t hide prestige as it’s not an indication of skill”

”I skip lobbies with prestige zero because these people probably have low skill”

makes me chuckle.

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

If I’m Prestige 100, I want to show off my efforts so I hope it doesn’t get hidden

• MissiCiv
    MissiCiv Member Posts: 41
    Options
  • tendyhands
    tendyhands Member Posts: 268
    Options

They could just show mmr LIKE EVERY OTHER SINGLE GAME WITH MMR