People still running Self-Care (Without Botany)

Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Why? Even when I'm running Sloppy I still have survivors hiding in corners Self-Caring for half the game. And some of these people are really good loopers, they're not new players at all, but they STILL run Self-Care without Botany.

Comments

• Mtom912
    Mtom912 Member Posts: 22

if they're good loopers, it's likely because they only play for chases, so they want to always be healed for a full chase, and do not care about doing gens or escaping at all. idk about the no botany part though

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Self Care is historically popular at all MMR brackets because, even though it's the slowest way to get healed, it's also the most flexible, as in you can use it to partially heal at any time, anywhere, with no preconditions or equipment needed. Consider for example how often in a game you are not directly in a chase, but also not on a gen. For instance maybe you're temporarily hiding from a killer, or scouting from a higher vantage point. Those are moments that are normally just lost time, but if you are injured and can partially heal yourself for free while you're not doing something else it's increasing your overall time efficiency. If you can squeeze out even one full heal out of all your idle time that's not a bad trade off for being able to do it while also carrying a toolbox instead of a medkit, for instance, and not having to rely on a Boon being placed or another survivor being around.

That's not to say there aren't people who waste time Self Caring to heal themselves when they could be doing something more quickly or letting another survivor heal them instead, for example. But there is value in the flexibility of the perk. (Of course, its nerf was because there was enough value pre-patch that it was a top 5 perk. It's still a popular perk, around number 10, but its usage has dropped by about half from what it was. So people still think it's valuable enough to use.)

• Krazzik

I get that it's flexible but it's gotten nerfed so much that it's rarely going to be better than just bringing another perk. Plus if you're spending -that- much time not doing something else that you can get a full heal out of current self-care on your downtime, it just seems like you aren't playing very efficiently anyhow.

Also a lot of people bringing it are also just not bringing items period. You can run like -any- medkit instead.

• My_Aespa
    My_Aespa Member Posts: 545
    edited August 2022

I just recently stopped using Self Care. Inner Strength (I forget the newer version's name), is a lot better and more efficient. You get your healing in a short amount of time, and potentially knock the killer's hex perks out of the match, kind of a win-win! The only con of using it is hoping no one is using COH because then that's being selfish.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219
    edited August 2022

Which perk? Even if you bring Boon:CoH, your random teammates just cleanse totems, especially if there is a challenge (as there is).

Also, it becomes more common for teammates not to heal you, because they want to run for an unhook, chase the killer with a flashlight or whatever (even after you healed them).

Also, one medkit for one heal does nothing, especially with sloppy, if the healing is disrupted in any way.

so again, which perk do you suggest to get reliably healed?

(to clarify, i use CoH since the nerf, thats why i know how many people disable it in your games. Sometimes even the killer runs the bone-crushing perk)

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,180

The current tome has a challenge "heal yourself for 6 health states". I am pretty sure that this isn't helping the situation, even though Boons are a better way to tackle this.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Honestly I did as well. I have been using Dead Hard instead. The "nerf" was really more of buff for my skill level. It is as though I healed with the extra health state, but I did not waste 30 seconds. I run double exhaustion (Head On). So it is really good for messing with the killer because they never expect Dead Hard while I am going for locker plays. They just think I am special needs. Works every time. I will totally heal myself if someone puts a boon up, though. It is not that I am against it so much as ain't nobody got time fo dat.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Lol, well I can't speak to why people don't bring items. 😄

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

self care is still strong, its just now you cant use it to heal from 0 to 100 without being a moron, you need to use it to finish heals started by teammates.

good survivors know the difference, bad survivors will continue to use self care the wrong way

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,703

It makes me question if they know self care was nerfed???

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,185

Youre still better off bringing any other healing perk or a medkit. Boon: Circle of Healing isnt too bad; Inner-Healing is my go to perk, plus you can run Overzealous with it.

• kaim
    kaim Member Posts: 2

people can be immersed if they want to be 👍️

• Objectively_speaking
    Objectively_speaking Member Posts: 507

I have consistently had it where I was injured and my team would not heal me even if all gens were done or killer was far away etc. Because of this, Self Care <I do use botany too btw> is always on my build because a heal that I can always rely on encourages me to be more proactive. Also, I have been 99 healed so many times just for no one to finish healing me <Interuppted heal by killer, but teammates still do not heal me after danger is clearly gone>. Also, boon perks due to the current rift, are dead with all the cleansing too.

• Mysterioso
    Mysterioso Member Posts: 80

You rang? I love to run self care still even if it's without botany. I'd like to be able to rely on myself to get the heals done because solo queue be solo queue.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940
    edited August 2022

That change was disgusting old self care was perfect for solo Q when you can't rely on anyone, I understand removing item efficency but the speed is a bad bad change, I'm still mad about it

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

How about inner healing then? Even with the cleansing, still faster, and ignores sloopy

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Inner healing, gets rid of bones, and even with travel time to a locker, still faster than self care, and doesn't need another perk to be viable

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,941

Even SC+BK is redundant. Why not use CoH+BK then? It gives 16 second self heals, allows you to heal 50 % faster or 100 % faster when inside the Boon.

There is no reason to use SC ever. They really killed the Perk for no reason.

• Krazzik
    edited August 2022

People bring up two scenarios where Self-Care is amazing:

1 - Healing is interupted by the killer, the killer goes after the other person and you now need to finish up the heal.

2 - Solo-queue teammates just refusing the heal you.

Now I admit in these two scenarios SC is really good, but how often do these two things occur? I play a -lot- of solo queue and both of these things are actually pretty darn rare. Like people go on about potato teammates but even when I get bad teammates they still usually heal me and I'm mid MMR at best. Interupting healing is not that common unless they run Nurse's which is pretty rare, and if they do they usually also run Sloppy which makes SC go back to being awful. Or the killer just goes after you so you can't finish the heal anyway.

That's ignoring the fact that CoH is -still- arguably better in these same situations (albeit not with the current totem-cleansing archive up).

Like Self-Care was already situational before the nerf and it was a -big- nerf. I just really don't understand how you can run it without Botany and still claim it's worth the perk slot. Even -with- Botany you're still better off running a med-kit, CoH or Inner Healing.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,477

Not everyone's a team player