foxes - why?

Options
George_Soros
George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Out of curiosity: I see PLENTY of players using "fox" in their nicks. Much more than any other animal, and both here in the forums and when I'm playing. "Vietfox", "Suicidefox", "Kitsune", "狐狸", and a lot of other nicks I've seen using "fox" as their nick or part of it.

What's this guys? What's this obsession with foxes? Why not weasels or opossum? Armadillos are cute too.

Comments

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

Whenever somebody mentions foxes, furries come to my mind.

Furries fcked my mind up.

I just don't want to believe that these users are furries.

I am not judging though but still...

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    Options

Better question is why isn't there more fluffys. :D

• George_Soros
    edited February 2019
    Options

Quite right :) Fluffies are adorable. I always liked them as a child. Those loveable squeaks they do when strangled, those begging, hopeless eyes when their toes are removed by a clipper.
    Nowadays I'm mostly into burning them. So interesting to watch how they first freeze, then suddenly become loud and agitated. Very agitated.

Anyway, back to foxes. Any more insight, anyone?
  • Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

@George_Soros said:
    Out of curiosity: I see PLENTY of players using "fox" in their nicks. Much more than any other animal, and both here in the forums and when I'm playing. "Vietfox", "Suicidefox", "Kitsune", "狐狸", and a lot of other nicks I've seen using "fox" as their nick or part of it.

What's this guys? What's this obsession with foxes? Why not weasels or opossum? Armadillos are cute too.

For a second there I thought you put in 狐神 and was surprised that somebody actually saw me in game using that name and remembered it. Though either way, I'm impressed you know what 狐 means.

Personally, I think of foxes as cunning, mischevious, and playful. Personality traits I like to think are similar to my own. Though I'm sure there's a variety of reason people are fans of foxes. The song What Does the Fox Say made them popular meme material. They're adorable enough to be popular on their looks alone. And they're one of the more popular animals in the furry community.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,002
    Options

@George_Soros said:
    fluffybunny said:

Quite right :) Fluffies are adorable. I always liked them as a child. Those loveable squeaks they do when strangled, those begging, hopeless eyes when their toes are removed by a clipper.

What type of weaponry was given to you as a child?!?!?

• George_Soros
    Options

@Dehitay said:

@George_Soros said:

For a second there I thought you put in 狐神 and was surprised that somebody actually saw me in game using that name and remembered it. Though either way, I'm impressed you know what 狐 means.

Personally, I think of foxes as cunning, mischevious, and playful. Personality traits I like to think are similar to my own. Though I'm sure there's a variety of reason people are fans of foxes. The song What Does the Fox Say made them popular meme material. They're adorable enough to be popular on their looks alone. And they're one of the more popular animals in the furry community.

Yeah fair points. I love how they're depicted in Asian folklore: the trickster and rival of the tanuki in Japan, and the Fox Fairies in Chinese tales. And of course here in Europe they have similar reputation like you said.

Still find it weird, gamers often choose nicks referring to strength rather than cunning. I guess it must be the uniqueness of this game, when playing survivor: you can't quite succeed through violence, only through smarts.

• SophisticatedOtter
    Options
    How do Otters work for you? 
  • Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    Options

Mbay they want to really bang a fox?

Idk, weird but each to their own.

• Dead_by_David
    Dead_by_David Member Posts: 270
    Options

@Delfador said:

What are furrie?

• Swiftblade131
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:

@Delfador said:

What are furrie?

Please tell me your kidding bud

We have a innocent boi here! Don't ruin him!

• NathanExplosion
    NathanExplosion Member Posts: 337
    Options

@Swiftblade131 said:

Nintendo has already done it bwhahaha.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

@Swiftblade131 said:

Please tell me your kidding bud

He needs to learn the truth.

@Dead_by_David said:

What are furrie?

Just google it, I tried to explain but it is too difficult for me.

• Swiftblade131
    Options

@NathanExplosion said:

@Swiftblade131 said:

Nintendo has already done it bwhahaha.

EY!

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

"One of the greatest mysteries of our generation."
    -Random magazine #34254

• NathanExplosion
    NathanExplosion Member Posts: 337
    Options

@Swiftblade131 said:

EY!

• Dead_by_David
    Options

@Swiftblade131 No, this is not somethying I have heard of and I am not sure I want to :ohnoes:

@Delfador I am on my work computer, is it safe xD

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Delfador said:

What are furrie?

Fandoms of anthropomorphism. You are better of googling it. 

Just know they are unpopular for a number of reasons, the more diehard furries communities consist of suspected zoophiles like many weebs are borderline pedophiles.
  • Dead_by_David
    Options

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Dead_by_David said:

@Delfador said:

What are furrie?

Just know they are unpopular for a number of reasons, the more diehard furries communities consist of suspected zoophiles like many weebs are borderline pedophiles.

OK, I do not understand a lot of that xD can anyone explain in French or Finnish?

• Swiftblade131
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:
    @Swiftblade131 No, this is not somethying I have heard of and I am not sure I want to :ohnoes:

Anything but the work computer!

If you are willing to delve into that rabbit hole do it at home, with an IP blocker, and some idk, like jammers or something.

• Orion
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:
    OK, I do not understand a lot of that xD can anyone explain in French or Finnish?

"Anthropomorphism" is attributing human features (personality and/or body shape) to non-human things (could be objects, but most often it's animals, plants, and concepts). Furries do it with animals, often with sexual undertones.

• Dead_by_David
    Options

@Swiftblade131 said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Anything but the work computer!

If you are willing to delve into that rabbit hole do it at home, with an IP blocker, and some idk, like jammers or something.

I think I will leave it, this sounds like a strange sexual thing xD

• Swiftblade131
    Options

"sexual undertones"

• Dead_by_David
    Options

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

"Anthropomorphism" is attributing human features (personality and/or body shape) to non-human things (could be objects, but most often it's animals). Furries do that, often with sexual undertones.

Bestialite?

• Swiftblade131
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

"Anthropomorphism" is attributing human features (personality and/or body shape) to non-human things (could be objects, but most often it's animals). Furries do that, often with sexual undertones.

Bestialite?

Not exactly, but it's closer than most other things will be.

• Dead_by_David
    Options

That is weird. How do I escape this conversation! xD

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

Which is why it's pretty offensive to call someone a furry just for having an animal in their name.

Still gonna come get your skin though.

• Orion
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Bestialite?

That's different. Bestiality (or rather, zoophilia) is the sexual attraction to actual animals.

Post edited by Orion on
  • Dead_by_David
    Options

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Bestialite?

That's different. Bestiality is the sexual attraction to actual animals.

I am confused, scared and worried about fox people now.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

That is weird. How do I escape this conversation! xD

Death is not an escape!
  • Orion
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Bestialite?

Why? Even assuming 100% of them are furries, which isn't even close to the truth, what have they done so far to justify fear, confusion, and worry?

• Swiftblade131
    Options

Dead_by_David said:

@Delfador said:

What are furrie?

Ooo not sure if I can agree with the weebs part bud

• Orion
    Options

@Swiftblade131 said:

Some people think cartoon characters are real people with real ages and real feelings. That's all I'll say on the subject.

• Swiftblade131
    Options

@Orion said:

@Swiftblade131 said:

Some people think cartoon characters are real people with real ages and real feelings. That's all I'll say on the subject.

He's talking about a Lolicon, not a weeb.

I myself am more of just a viewer of anime. I have some weeb friends though, and they are very nice.

• thesuicidefox
    Options

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Bestialite?

You have reason to be scared of me right now. Hide your kids, hide your wife, I'm comin' for that skin.

• Dead_by_David
    Options

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

@Orion said:

@Dead_by_David said:

Bestialite?

Why? Even assuming 100% of them are furries, which isn't even close to the truth, what have they done so far to justify fear, confusion, and worry?

Je suis contre le préjudice mais putain Donald Duck est étrange :(

• Lonefox64
    Lonefox64 Member Posts: 132
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Because starfox 64 is the greatest.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Options

@Orion said:

@Swiftblade131 said:

He's talking about a Lolicon, not a weeb.

I myself am more of just a viewer of anime. I have some weeb friends though, and they are very nice.

Yeah i should have been more nuanced on this. Of course not every weeb is a borderline pedophile. More like a fringe minority. And yes they are obviously related. 

And yes lolicon is questionable at the very least. Fictional or not it obviously shows your preference is something that is based on kids. 
  • George_Soros
    edited February 2019
    Options

Speaking of beastiality: I do have a crush on Bree Turner.

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:
    I've had this name for now 16 years. Got it from Smash Melee. I'm an OG in that community. Say my name to any of the old schoolers and they will know me, including M2K and Liquid Ken. I invented half the tech most Fox players use now, including short hop double laser, shine grab, and shine smash.

@Delfador said:

Don't you EVER call me a furry or I will find out where you live, come to your house, and skin you alive.

First off, good lord.
    Secondly, I just want to mention that I can still here the announcer scream "Super Smash Bros, MEEEELLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options
    @Vietfox all this time and you didn't tell me your a furry? 🐻 
  • George_Soros
    Options

@SIlentCetra said:

@thesuicidefox said:
    I've had this name for now 16 years. Got it from Smash Melee. I'm an OG in that community. Say my name to any of the old schoolers and they will know me, including M2K and Liquid Ken. I invented half the tech most Fox players use now, including short hop double laser, shine grab, and shine smash.

@Delfador said:

Don't you EVER call me a furry or I will find out where you live, come to your house, and skin you alive.

I wish the forum had a downvote system like reddit. Seriously, threatening someone? Not cool, man. Not ######### cool at all.

For the record, if you ever try to come to MY house, furry, and you won't make it through the door.

Geez, he could not possibly be more OBVIOUSLY joking. Or you're willing to believe he'd find out where someone lives and actually flay that person? For calling him a furry?

Some people are so dense. Btw. Threatening on the internet is hilarious. I don't know why is this taken so seriously. Real dangerous people act, not talk, especially not from behind a keyboard.

If you disagree, I'll burn your house down, with you in it.

• DarkFox85
    DarkFox85 Member Posts: 74
    Options

@George_Soros said:

To be fair... it's a good observation.

Maybe because foxes are cunning and stealthy like survivors?

My name is a combo of Star Fox 64 and Perfect Dark. It's been my name since I was a teen on the N64.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    Options

This is late, but maybe there's so many "fox" usernames because no one knows what the fox says. o:

• SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187
    Options

@fluffybunny said:
    This is late, but maybe there's so many "fox" usernames because no one knows what the fox says. o:

But we DO know what the fox says ;)

@George_Soros said:

@SIlentCetra said:

@thesuicidefox said:

@Delfador said:

I wish the forum had a downvote system like reddit. Seriously, threatening someone? Not cool, man. Not ######### cool at all.

For the record, if you ever try to come to MY house, furry, and you won't make it through the door.

Geez, he could not possibly be more OBVIOUSLY joking. Or you're willing to believe he'd find out where someone lives and actually flay that person? For calling him a furry?

Some people are so dense. Btw. Threatening on the internet is hilarious. I don't know why is this taken so seriously. Real dangerous people act, not talk, especially not from behind a keyboard.

If you disagree, I'll burn your house down, with you in it.

I disagree

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options
    @fcc2014 said:
    Honestly i don't know what i am.

@George_Soros lol i came up with that name about 15 years ago or so. The reason why i chose that name is still a secret :)
  • George_Soros
    Options
    Vietfox said:
    @fcc2014 said:

@George_Soros lol i came up with that name about 15 years ago or so. The reason why i chose that name is still a secret :)
    I assumed you were Vietnamese.
    And had a taste for small rodents :)
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options
    @Vietfox said:
    @fcc2014 said:

I assumed you were Vietnamese.
    And had a taste for small rodents :)
    Lol no, some people do think that though. I lived there for a short period of time and really loved it, nowadays it's full of toruists and mostly spoilt.
  • thesuicidefox
    Options

Ya'll know I was joking right? Like "skinning you alive" is a serious threat now, especially when talking about FURRIES? It's called dark humor.

• George_Soros
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:
    Ya'll know I was joking right? Like "skinning you alive" is a serious threat now, especially when talking about FURRIES? It's called dark humor.

Omg you actually got a temporary ban for it?

Mods, take your pills, Jesus...