I wonder if the mods ever feel like this

And if they do, I'd understand and laugh.

At the end of the day, this is just their job. Nothing else.

I've honestly wondered if they've ever read some comments and either A.) secretly "liked" one or B.) started telling people off in their heads.

๐Ÿ‘‡ How I envision the mods when they're reading something that annoys them (skip to 2:15):ย 

"I can't yell right now, cause I'll get fired, and my boss'll hear me, and then I won't be able to pay off my student loans, but you know what? You're an #########. I ######### hate you."

Comments

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

As someone who has been a mod (elsewhere), yes and 1000000000000000000% yes respectively

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I feel bad for them. This is the most hostile, polarized community I have ever seen. I played dota for years and have never seen the kind of mindless invective these people come up with.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I've never played league but I could see that. I think it attracts a younger audience and God knows teens love being edgy.

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795

it's been really bad lately. i used to consider it thinly veiled toxicity & negativity but now it's just outright toxicity & negativity.

i don't think our mods are secretly talking smack about people though. that toxicity would slowly begin to reflect in their work. i used to moderate/GM an mmorpg and whenever colleagues of mine showed disdain for certain players or the playerbase at large they'd start moderating with the intention of punishing, rather than with the intention of keeping things safe for everyone. i feel that hasn't been happening here.

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

To be fair, I think that's when you're just done with your job and you've let it overtake your life. I can only speak for myself, but at work I've had to deal with people cussing me out for no reason and I still calmly handled it. Afterward, I'd sometimes think like Jonah Hill, but that was mostly just to let off steam.

• AshInTheTallGrass

lol on that last part.

And you were a mod? Interesting!

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Comes with the territory. They know what they signed up for at least haha.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177
    edited September 2022

Yup!

I'd like to also think I was pretty good at it. But my real life job is kind of like being a Mod (Previous was Quality Assurance where I'd listen to phone calls and now I'm QA looking at documents) so I'm kind of a natural fit for it as I'm very used to people being mad at me for smacking them ๐Ÿ˜…

• AshInTheTallGrass

lol I started working at 15 (illegally), in a diner. From then on, I've had a lot of "customer service" based work. One guy was an equipment manager for an NBA team, so he thought that was a big deal and that everyone must've thought so, too. I answered the phone and immediately got cussed out by him for something a different department did. "Good evening, thank you for calling blah blah blah. This is blah blah blah. How may I help you?" "Yeah, hi. I just want to know. Are you a ######### moron like everyone else in this ######### place or are you able to actually do your job and help me out? Or is that too hard for you? Do you need me to come down there and explain it to your face, sweetheart? Would that make it easier for you?! Or could you maybe do your ######### job and help me because no one else seems to know how!"

๐Ÿ˜

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'd like to try my hand at modding somewhere eventually but I'd probably be awful at it lol

Much love to our Mods here tho <3

• Neamy
    Neamy Member Posts: 359

Have been working in retail for 16 years nowโ€ฆ Dbd is where I can smack random people with no downsides :)