What's the point in making fan made chapters?

JoyfulLeader
JoyfulLeader Member Posts: 571

Is there any point at all? I spend awhile trying to make my own fan made chapters, they always receive little to no attention and I don't see how they benefit the community. It feels like a real time waster to me. Any answers?

Comments

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@JoyfulLeader said:
    Is there any point at all? I spend awhile trying to make my own fan made chapters, they always receive little to no attention and I don't see how they benefit the community. It feels like a real time waster to me. Any answers?

It's a waste of time all right. I don't know why people keep coming up with suggestions. Some of the devs occasionally read the forum and may pick up tiny fragments from some of the more creative ideas, but a completely worked out, detailed killer/survivor/perk/map concept, etc... it's just idle fancies.

• JoyfulLeader
    edited February 2019

@Plu said:
    I feel like some recent chapters took inspiration on some of the fan mades ones, i remember seeing someone making a killer that would vault pallets and windows like Legion does, but maybe it's a coincidence idk.

Eitherway no, there's no "point", i believe it's just for fun and shouldn't be anything else.

Oh, it's just I lost so much motivation on making them. I use to enjoy making them for my creative mind to do what it can do. That's kind of a bummer though, I've spent so much time making some fan chapters and pretty much no one reads them. I hope quitting was a good idea, I feel like it was

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Just do whatever you want, don't force yourself doing something you don't like anymore

• JoyfulLeader

@Plu said:
    Just do whatever you want, don't force yourself doing something you don't like anymore

That's why I quit, nobody cares about anyone's ideas, it just becomes forgotten and buried

• George_Soros

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

That's why I quit, nobody cares about anyone's ideas, it just becomes forgotten and buried

Well anyone can come up with ideas. It has no value. If you can do either the coding or the artistic part of it, that's something. But then you should be making your own game.

• JoyfulLeader

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

Well anyone can come up with ideas. It has no value. If you can do either the coding or the artistic part of it, that's something. But then you should be making your own game.

Yeah I guess, but I'd rather do art

• George_Soros

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I'll say this though: some fan made art is just awesome. I mean drawings, pictures, tattoos, and that Halloween pumpkin competition! If you're good at drawing, that can be a fun thing to do. Much more than coming up with ideas that are never gonna be implemented
  • JoyfulLeader

@George_Soros said:
    JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I'll say this though: some fan made art is just awesome. I mean drawings, pictures, tattoos, and that Halloween pumpkin competition! If you're good at drawing, that can be a fun thing to do. Much more than coming up with ideas that are never gonna be implemented

I could post a drawing of Legion I did, I wonder if anyone would want to see it

• George_Soros

@JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:
    JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I would!

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Same

• Eveline
    Eveline Member Posts: 2,340
    Everything is waste of time... or not. If you enjoy it. :)
  • Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

@JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:
    JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I would enjoy that.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes they seem inspired. 
    We had calls for a fat survivor that had a chance to break hooks. Not long after? Jeff appears with a perk to break hooks.
    Granted he isn't fat, he looks huge compared to other survivors. 

Sometimes it's just fun. Here's my light killer concept,  the Banshee
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34294/new-killer-idea-the-banshee-true-horror#latest
  • Shad03

@Rebel_Raven said:
    Sometimes they seem inspired. 
    We had calls for a fat survivor that had a chance to break hooks. Not long after? Jeff appears with a perk to break hooks.
    Granted he isn't fat, he looks huge compared to other survivors. 

He does have a sizable stomach on him. But he looks awesome.

• Mockingbird_X
    Mockingbird_X Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2019

@JoyfulLeader said:

It's fun , interesting and a very good mental exercise:
    1. FUN simply because creating something is always fun (even when the creation is a child of pain and misery);
    2. Interesting - Throwing two pieces of mud together is boring, so you're trying to come up with a concept and a mechanic that would fit the game: sorting and filtering ideas.
    3. Mental exercise - not everyone is doing it, but balancing your power\perk idea is not easy and you need to be sure you're not overpowering or underpowering them. And then you must remember about 59 Survivor perks and 54 Killer perks already existing in-game and think of how your powers and perks could synergize: would they compliment each other, would they break the game?

Of course, devs will not take any of fan ideas, mostly due to legal issues: the idea needs to be purchased to be used in the actual game, unless the devs want a court suit in their face. I don't even think anyone from the designer or dev team is reading these. BUT it's not for them - it's for you.

Reading other people's ideas is interesting as well, provided they are good, original and thought-through. Admittedly most of the fan killers/survivors/chapters are horrible: pieced together, not optimised and not well-thought at all - many of them are just power fantasies about pwning and being the king of the hill.

Still, there are gems that I love, once I've read them. And hopefully someone likes my fan ideas that's i've posted in this forum. Oh, yeah, there's that bit of narcissism, where everyone wants to be praised for something they've done ^___^

• Shad03

I mean, show me your proudest chapter and I could give it a read. I hope someone could give mine a read, though I did get like... One or two actual feedback to it? I'm too lazy to check.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604
    Its just a bit of fun. I go on there and read a lot of the posts. I may not write a comment but they are being read ^^
  • Mockingbird_X
    Mockingbird_X Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2019

@Shad03 said:
    I mean, show me your proudest chapter and I could give it a read. I hope someone could give mine a read, though I did get like... One or two actual feedback to it? I'm too lazy to check.

My proudest would probably be "A study in victimology"
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/41619/fan-killer-survivor-a-study-in-victimology

I've took this very popular idea of a killer disguising as a survivor and stood it on it's head, trying to make it into a viable mechanic, that doesn't break the game and is not so easily counterable as most of similar ideas are.

It has it's issues (the surv perk is OP), but I think it's the best one I have.

• Maelstrom1313
    Maelstrom1313 Member Posts: 230

BHVR do take notice of the odd few creations made by this community as they bought a design of someone and make his design I to one of the trapper masks that's in the game. So they do pay attention, also they like seeing different aspects of what this community comes up with whether that's a design, game modes, chapters or just fan made theories... 
  • Shad03

@Mockingbird_X said:

@Shad03 said:

My proudest would probably be "A study in victimology"
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/41619/fan-killer-survivor-a-study-in-victimology

I've took this very popular idea of a killer disguising as a survivor and stood it on it's head, trying to make it into a viable mechanic, that doesn't break the game and is not so easily counterable as most of similar ideas are.

It has it's issues (the surv perk is OP), but I think it's the best one I have.

I read it, and will give it a full review once (eventually, maybe) I'm not so tired.

• SofaKingSpecial
    SofaKingSpecial Member Posts: 43
    Its like others have said...bits and pieces of other people's ideas (from here and steam forums) have made it in to the game so I do think some of the devs do peruse the site here occasionally. Also sometimes trying to do a creative chapter idea is just that...a mental exercise in creativity and just fun in general. I've done 2 chapters so far myself (Wendigo and Hatred) just messing around.
  • LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

I just like to come up with killer ideas, I already posted one and have a couple more in store. Even if there is no point I like to think of new possibilities.
    Also I think that the Doctor was heavily inspired if not a complete copy of a fan made killer, I'm not sure of it but that's what I remember (Don't attack me if I'm wrong)

• BillyBoiMain
    BillyBoiMain Member Posts: 164
    I do them because they are fun to write, but really nobody notices them.
  • JoyfulLeader

@Eveline said:
    Everything is waste of time... or not. If you enjoy it. :)

Well I wouldn't say that 🤔

• JoyfulLeader

@Shad03 said:

You can just click on my profile and go to my discussions

• JoyfulLeader

@Shad03 said:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/12603/chapter-idea-flames-and-fear#latest
    This is my favorite I made, in fact, this is the first post I ever made. All the other ones I made are pretty bad

• JoyfulLeader

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:
    JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I would!

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/46693/quick-legion-sketch#latest
    Here you go! My legion artwork

• JoyfulLeader

@Shad03 said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:
    JoyfulLeader said:

@George_Soros said:

@JoyfulLeader said:

@Plu said:

I would enjoy that.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/46693/quick-legion-sketch#latest
    Here is the artwork!

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

I like reading what people make up. Even got a favorite killer concept, one that's also pretty old.
    Some prisoner killer with shock collars, kinda like a mix between Pig and Doctor.