We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Currently in a match with hiding survivors

Ladyinadress18
Ladyinadress18 Member Posts: 243
edited September 2022 in General Discussions

So I’m currently in a match with 2 gens left to complete as huntress and the last two survivors are hiding not doing gens. What do you propose? I’ve been wandering around for about 10 min now and haven’t heard a single gen be touched. I refuse to DC. Spin in circles?

Post edited by BoxGhost on

Comments

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

If you have video evidence and you report them in-game + online on the support webpage, they can potentially even be banned. What they did is against rules and is considered refusal to participate in normal gameplay and taking the game hostage. It's a case-by-case basis, but it can be bannable.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I would NOT take SuzuKR's advice if you were holding a 3 gen. That has gotten killers banned before. If that is the reason they were holding the game hostage, you would magically be at fault for playing your objective as they refused to do theirs. I wouldn't risk it.

Only report them if they arbitrarily decided to do it as the 2v1 started.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,130

You can get banned if you are holding the game hostage. 3-genning is one thing. 3-genning and then never intending to actually chase the Survivor is another.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Honestly keep searching.

break anything you can break and spam your power for the BP’s if you can but yeah it’s a game of cat and mouse might as well enjoy it.

Be patient… be a hunter.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

No, thats just wrong.

If you chase survivors you see and try to down them (you still can abandon a chase to check for gens before they are done, and maybe chase the other guy) you are fine. Your objektive is to kill survivors, and preventing them from doing gens is a way to buy you time to do it, but you still have to do it. Otherwise you just hold the game hostage.

But this wasn´t your situation in any case.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Had two survivors do the same thing after an extremely tough start of game for them where their first two teammates were hooked super quickly (one spawned right next to me, other was grabbed at the nearest gen).

The two remaining hid in the basement of Grim Pantry for a while, but didn't think to look away when I roaming around stealthily (Ghostface) so killer instinct gave them away.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    edited September 2022

When that happens, I usually just go watch a video

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    edited September 2022

3 and 4 gens on some maps are impossible to do in some solos where some survivors just don't know. The whole team is doomed if a survivor loops there the whole time. Killers know it, experienced survivors know it ,bhvr knows it. Survivors don't want to die, killers don't want to relent, it's an arm wrestling match and bhvr refuses to address the problem of gens being too close to one another.

Some maps are too small some maps are too big 3 and 4 gens can spawn on most of them and all it takes is one survivor with no game sense to tank the whole thing. Gens need to be more along the outside alot like the swamp has them. There's just no other way and until then suffer the the repurcussions of taking advantage of or not paying mind to imbalanced map layout/game design oversight.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Yes technically it is. I have been on teams that broke a possible 3 Gen that a Killer was camping and protecting. It's not easy but it can be done, you say Legion was protecting the Gen Infront of the Meyers House to secure the 3 Gen....then why not do the other Gens that are on the same link. One survivor just has to keep Legion occupied while the rest of you do the gens.

You gotta use what you know the Killer is trying to do against them.

• Aven_Fallen

Does not change the fact that if the Survivors try to do Gens and you are only scaring them away without any intention to actually chasing them, that YOU as the Killer, are holding the game hostage at this point.

At some point both parties have to commit to try to get their Objective done. For Survivors it is to try to repair Gens even if the Killer is in a strong 3-Gen. And for the Killer it is to commit to a chase, risking that the other person might get the Gen done in 90 seconds.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,925

It's fairly rare for a killer to sit on the same three gens all game, or for RNG to be so giving. But yeah, it happens on occasion. And in the overwhelming majority of the instances like the one the OP described, that is not the case. And good teams will break early three gens far more often than not, even if the killer sets out to hold them.

RNG giveth, and RNG taketh away. Killers are just as often rendered essentially helpless by RNG. Feels bad, but what can you do?

But we're kind of dancing around the core issue here, so let's just cut to the heart of the argument:

What is "holding a game hostage"? To my mind, it is preventing the game from progressing, up to and often including leaving the aggrieved party no alternative to get out of the game but to DC. Outside of hacking, there aren't many ways to actually take a game hostage.

Survs locker hopping and intentionally doing nothing but trying not to be found is probably the most common (again, outside of hacking) form holding a game hostage takes. Yes, the killer can find the hiding survs, but this is often a laborious and enormously time consuming task, and on many maps, almost impossible if the survs are any good.

Other than physically blocking a surv into a corner and refusing to move, there really isn't any way for a killer to do this. Sitting on a three gen is NOT taking a game hostage. It is trying to prevent the survs from escaping, but the killer isn't hiding, and there is a clear and probably expedient route of progression. It's just not one the survs like, which is what it boils down to. It's death, but it's still progression.

So no, the two things are not the same.

And let's not be disingenuous here; I've been in many of these situations as a killer and a surv. The vast majority of the time, once the 2 survs realize they're screwed, they either lean into it or they go incognito almost immediately. They don't lay low and then poke their head out to see if the killer is willing to chase, at least so rarely that you can say it doesn't really happen.

They hide until you find them, one turns on the other, or the killer DCs.

As for me, I may wait for a minute or two, but if it seems the other person is just going to wait it out, I just jump on a gen and roll with whatever happens.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,925

It's holding the game hostage if you cannot progress the game. Dying is progression. A killer trying to find the hiders is attempting to progress the game. Playing hide and seek and never touching a gen is not progression, or even an attempt at progression.

As a surv, I'd much rather die than than spend half an hour in a pig headed delay of an unwinnable situation.

If the three gen is so strong you literally can't progress at all if the killer doesn't leave, what is the point of having a standoff? I'll lose, but it has to be on my terms? In a chase? That's entitled toddler logic. Also, it's nothing so honorable as "come chase me and I'll stop hiding". That almost never happens. They hide, and hide and hide some more, until they screw up and get seen.

And again, in virtually all of these scenarios, including the OPs, the killer has gone out in search of the survs at some point, so they're holding up their end of your "both sides have to commit" bargain. But in almost all of these scenarios, the survs do nothing but hide. One is left with no conclusion other than the hiders are just spiting the killer because they can't win, or to trying to see if the other is found first.

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527

This game's end game is broken. What do you do when there's 2 guys left and the killer just patrols the remaining 1 or 2 generators? You have all of 10 seconds to sit on the generator before patrol comes back, and then he knows exactly where you are and you're dead.

The end game needs to be fixed.

• Aven_Fallen

Why should the Survivors have to die when the Killer is holding the game hostage? With that logic you can also say that the Killer should go afk when they cannot find the Survivors because they are hiding.

You are not forced at any point to give up the game. Neither as Killer nor as Survivor. However, if the Survivors are hiding and not attempting to do Gens, they are holding the game hostage. If the Killer is just defending his 3 Gens without any intention of killing the remaining Survivors, they are holding the game hostage.

• d3vi1
    d3vi1 Member Posts: 60

@Mandy Sorry to bother you. May I just ask if this is true? Can you really get banned for defending 3 gen?

• FriendlyKiller
    FriendlyKiller Member Posts: 337

I dunno, when an obvious swf has their best runner try to take you to the strongest point of the map as far away from the gens as possible, chasing is going to be a losing proposition. I'll usually sit on the 3 gen until they're fully regressed, pretend to start chasing the runner and double back to try to catch one of the weaker survivors out. If I catch them, hook them right in the middle of the 3-gen.

If not, repeat.

I mean, why take obvious bait and play into their hands?

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,740
    edited September 2022

If a killer leaves a 3 gen to chase a survivor how is that any different than a survivor overcommitting to a gen instead of continuously running away, healing, then coming back? Neither side can be faulted for being strategic in a 3 gen, and for killers they have to be strategic by securing the position unless they are sure they will get a down fast enough to not take further damage. That means smacking but not chasing people until someone slips up and is out positioned. Its barely even in the killer's advantage anymore if CoH is in play, which puts the attrition war further in survivor's favor.

Defending a 3 Gen as a killer is like playing king of the hill/double domination/whatever similar flavor of gametype you see in the FPS of your choice. Taking out your opponent is winning the battle but chasing them away is losing the war, holding the position is securing victory.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,036

The issue here is potentially no one is at fault. Having been on both sides of this, I'd blame game mechanics, not the opposing player(s).

The objective is to escape for survivors, Gens just happen to be the best way to do so. However, in this case, the only logical the the survivor can do is attempt to hide and outlive the other player long enough to have a shot at hatch, as doing a gen is almost certain death. You simply cannot blame the survivor for doing this (and usually cant blame them for the 3 gen as usually, from what I've seen, it's the ones who are smart enough to not 3 gen that make it this far and their teammates arent exactly as smart as them)

The objective for killers is simple; kill survivors before they escape. The issue is, they can dominate so badly that it ends up impossible for survivors to do gens without dying, causing a stalemate where the killer cant find survivors, but the survivors have less than zero reason to reveal themselves. This is not the killers fault; they've done what they're supposed to do.

In the end, something needs to be done to detect and alleviate these situations, perhaps via conditional hatch spawning; if 2 survivors with 2 or more gens left arent in chase/damaged in, idk, 5 minutes? Then the hatch can spawn and a highlighted chest will contain a key (With both Killers and Survivors notified of its location) If not obtained in 30 seconds by a survivor it moves to another chest. If a selected chest is opened, it will close.

Would need tweaking of course, for balance and such, but something like this needs to happen, or the game mechanics need an overhaul before this problem will be resolved.

• SilentShepherd
    edited September 2022

see, this is an excellent post with a good suggestion. i would say that the broken end game with 2 survivors left, is the #1 pressing issue in DBD right now. It causes a lot of issues, like snitching, slugging, trolling, game hostage, etc.

Your suggestion is very good. If after 5 minutes, nobody has been found, then the hatch spawns with a key like you said in a chest somewhere. So killer cant just patrol gens, or else he risk hatch spawn

• SuzuKR

Ah yes, reward survivors for dying and then hiding and refusing to play. Amazing idea.

• SilentShepherd

Ah yes, punish survivors and make them just hand themselves over to the killer and give up just because two of their teammates died. Amazing idea.

• SuzuKR

Survivors are a team. So, if your teammates fail, it will also affect you. Don’t like that? Then don’t play on the side that relies on the team members doing well working together for victory. If half the team is dead and the generators aren't even done yet, the killer landslide stomped the survivors. This is just closing out what is realistically an already won game.

The survivors don’t have to give themselves up. They do have to attempt to repair generators. Being chased off is fine. Not attempting at all is circumstantially bannable.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

If the survivor could just die, they're objectively not being held hostage.

Hostage holding is a very specific term that refers to gameplay where one side cannot end the game by any reasonable means other than disconnecting.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, mistaking being forced to remain in the game and being blocked from WINNING the game.

The facts are pretty simple and clear here.

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

Agreed. I would keep monitoring gens, and just go around doing BP stuff like breaking doors, etc. And start opening lockers. I've gotten lucky. My routes between gens tend to get wider out and I start looking in weird places, like already done gens, or second stories, etc.

• AetherBytes

Its not rewarding them, its changing the game to something that now encourages survivors to expose themselves, while giving killers a target that isnt just meander around the map until something happens.

• SuzuKR

Or… they can follow the rules and attempt to do gens. They don’t deserve help in that situation.

• Gary_Coleman
    Gary_Coleman Member Posts: 732

Are you still in the game?

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,504

Yeah I had nurse defending 3 gen situation more than 40 minutes until she killed 2 my teammates. If my teammates would been more careful I think the match would lasted forever they took risks and died.

• Ladyinadress18
    Ladyinadress18 Member Posts: 243

Haha no thank god. I found them both crouching together in a dark corner near one of the exit gates eventually.

• AetherBytes

And then they lose for certain. You see the issue now, or do I need to get some letter blocks to spell it out for you?

Its not about helping them, it's about not causing a stalemate that neither side is enjoying. Thats why the scape is a hatch, that neither increases or decreases MMR.

• SuzuKR

Yes, it is almost like that is what happens when one side overwhelmingly stomps the other. Do you think if gates are opened while no one is on death hook, that the gates should become temporarily blocked and that all survivors should become temporarily Exposed and Mori'able so the killer has a chance to make a comeback after getting absolutely obliterated?

• AetherBytes
  • SuzuKR

Yes, I'm the kind of person that thinks rewarding a side for being utterly stomped is illogical. Glad you can tell!

• BoxGhost
    BoxGhost Member, Mod Posts: 1,355

Okay, in light of some comments, I am going to go ahead and close this discussion up to here.

This discussion has been closed.