How is The Dredge fair at all...

Options

He can teleport to anywhere on the map 3 times without much delay, the ability recharges very quickly, he makes no audio while teleporting and you only know when you hear him bust out of the locker behind you, you can only lock each locker once and he can break the lock on any he sees with just a simple m1. He can start his teleport to leave his husk and cut off loops or teleport back to a hook instantly while still holding chase with someone else. AND the darkness is just salt on the deep wound. Top that with the fact he's a 115 movement killer and it seems unbeatable.

He's the only killer I can't find counterplay to. Other killers I can manage it about 50/50 depending on perks and my teammates (solo Queue sadly). I lose 100% of the time to him.

Am I the only one who thinks he needs some small changes?

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,224
    Options

cutting off loops only work on non interconnected loops, if they start leaving a husk to cut off the loop simply leave and if you are at a loop always try to loop towards the inside of the map as if it were a pallet on the edge of the map, they are still an m1 killer so the balance is that they have almost no mobility in a chase and decent at best utility

• Hawk81584
    Hawk81584 Member Posts: 405
    Options

darkness shouldnt be in any game ever made. its absolutely astonishing how little thought was put into that aspect

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    Options

The Remnant is quite poor as anti-loop, and leaving the loop or baiting the Dredge work great against it. If there is a cluster of lockers (lockers directly connected with each other), locking only one will work because the teleport priority is survivor interacting with the locker (inside/locking it/opening/leaving/etc)->locked->random.

• sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2022
    Options

I think he's a pretty well-designed killer, and while he may be strong, I think he generally feels fair.

The two most important things to consider when countering him:

• When you have two or more lockers side-by-side, just lock one of them. When Dredge transports, the game treats multiple lockers as one transport location if that makes sense, so if one locker is locked and the other is unlocked he'll still default transport to the locked one. Once this lock has been broken, you can then lock the other locker(s) so that it'll slow him down again when transporting to them. This means you get full use out of both locks.
    • Secondly, I agree that I used to feel the same about Nightfall - it felt a little overbearing and made it easy for Dredge to creep up on you. The best thing to do is work on a gen that's out in the open with a clear vision, as Dredge will be highlighted in white so you can see him coming from a distance. Alternatively, some people like to play stealthily whilst Nightfall is active which is fine, but I think it's better to work on gens and pressure them.
  • MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    edited September 2022
    Options

Dredge is pretty much fine , however nightfall can be miserable and unfair combined with blue boon overlay for console players, you just cant see most of the times making nightfall more annoying than scarier really because BHVR still doesnt add a simple bright slider to video settings if you go against a dredge and you are paired with console players them take it easy with them, is not easy playing with the default lightning and being blind 24/7.

(Yes we know video filters exist but thats just silly , just pc players can use it , while console just have to deal with the insane darkness)

Note: I play on PC but jeez becomes annoying just having to use a video filter when going against a dredge while teammates are not helping placing boons everywhere and making my eyes sick everytime.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,329
    Options

Hes not a very good killer against good players tbh, baiting him to place the remnant and using clusters of lockers is always a good strat, also nightfall lets you see him highlighted from miles away and same with your teamates.

• AcelynnBen
    AcelynnBen Member Posts: 1,012
    Options

if he was as broken as u make him sound, he would be played more, with being said i've all ever seen him 5 times SINCE RELEASE

and when playing him, it just gets boring seeing the same animation of a locked locker for the whole game and im not even sure why BHVR made it so he prioritizes locked lockers over open ones, its really dumb

• FriendlyKiller
    FriendlyKiller Member Posts: 337
    Options

Dredge is a solidly mid-tier killer. His mobility is great especially during nightfall but his antiloop is lackluster and easily outplayed. Did you know if you or a teammate run into his husk before he teleports back it deletes it?

My suggestion is try playing Dredge for a while. The survivors that do well against you, take note of what they do. He is by no means unbeatable.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    edited September 2022
    Options

His "anti loop" is legit just hold W when he uses the remnant...

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,303
    Options

What, you don't find having your monitor turned off for half the match to be a compelling game mechanic?? /s

• Kirahie
    Kirahie Member Posts: 354
    Options

They don't add a brightness slider because it literally negates half a killers power.

• Ciabe
    Ciabe Member Posts: 119
    Options

Dredge is weak against high mmr survivors with strong looping skills. Dredge is oppressively brutal to low and mid mmr survivors with weaker looping skills and lacking knowledge on how to move from one structure to another safely. Dredge nullifies distance and stealth which is relied on heavily by lower tier survivors while requiring little skill from the killer to counter. All those stealth survivor perks are basically nullified by his Darkness Revealed + teleport combo.

This is why some find Dredge brutal and others say "poo poo" he is weak or mid tier. Please don't balance a killer on how he fairs against the top 5% of survivor pros.

Full disclosure: My survival rate against dredge is around 5-10%...as in I can count them on one hand. I do love his theme as he is scary AF when he pops out of a locker by me.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options
  • Plsfix369
    Plsfix369 Member Posts: 566
    edited September 2022
    Options

There's a difference with just darkness and straight up blinding the player with nothingness, i couldn't even see past 1 meter on certain maps.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

They should keep the brightness and only make thick fog that cover FoV instead, my eyes stress out when night fall in play. The only thing that should be fixed

• RickSanchez
    RickSanchez Member Posts: 33
    Options

Funny thing is alot of these killers are unfair one on one, Pyramid head, doctor, nurse ect but they get beaten by survivors splitting up and 5 gening

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
    Options

Advise when he is on nightfall he is not undetectable he do a whooosh sound and it directional so you know where to run.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,527
    Options

you really think that this killer is somewhat viable aganist competent survivors? i suggest you to play for 2 month only that killer, then come back to tell us your experience... you'll change your idea rather quickly

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

I have to agree with this... I refuse to play against this killer. The darkness gives me a headache and I'm not dealing with that.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Nightfall is kinda rough. You guys should see how dark it is on my buddy’s PS4. So glad I’m on PC.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767
    Options

The only issue with dredge is the global baseball game cheering sound effect when he does legit anything.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,572
    Options

As others have pointed out already, even in Nightfall / when being undetectable, you can hear him approach quite easily (i would wish for the same for wesker, that mofu is so silent when undetectable / under obliviousness).

Also, Dredge is very map dependant. Esp. on McMilan, you can get so many variants with next to no lockers near the gens.

• UnknownKiller
    Options

I would put a Homerun sound effect when down a surv lol

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,498
    Options

I don't think you've actually played as this killer. I can just tell. Have you seen how long he takes to teleport a locker cross-map? Even for lockers that are relatively close up, the delay on the teleport is horrible, as in you'd be better off not using it mid-chase or for catch-up because you lose as much time as you gain. All teleport killers experience a similar problem, even Hag. Dredge literally didn't need the locks on the lockers, and he certainly didn't need to automatically target the locked locker when there's 2 right next to each other and the other one is unlocked. It's just built-in, unnecessary counterplay for the survivors to use. He doesn't JUST break a lock with an M1, because do that a couple times and soon you've wasted like 20 seconds, which killer cannot afford. If he didn't have Nightfall OR was a 110% killer, nobody would play him, and you're asking for both. At the end of the day he's an M1 killer, not even close to unbeatable. He needs small changes alright: buffs.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options

I think he’s fine, and he’s the ONLY killer now I enjoy going against. I tip my hat to those Dredge players who can anticipate a locker lock attempt, only to kidnap my ass and squeeze them cheeks once the two of us are alone inside. It actually makes me laugh and give props for the 300 IQ.

A few tips you may or may not know about Dredge that hopefully helps:

• If there are two lockers side by side, only lock one. Whenever the Dredge tries to teleport to the unlocked one, he automatically gets sent to the locked one. So after the first teleport, if you ever revisit that same area again- lock the other one, and the same thing will happen as before- he gets sent to the locked one. Now I don’t know if this works when there is a small gap between lockers.

• When looping, plan ahead (should be doing this with every killer really- but more so with anti-loop killers like Artist & Dredge). Be prepared to get to the next safest tile (if possible) once he puts his husk down. If not an option, bait it out by quickly doing a 180 when approaching it. Very hard to avoid a hit, tbh- good killers know not to swing immediately after a teleport to husk. But it’s your only play and worth the attempt to get someone who may be anxious for a hit/down to whiff.

• Always be on alert for him when you’re on a gen- especially during Nightfall. I’m continuously panning my camera around for him, like when I play against a Wraith, Myers, or Pig.

• When in chase, always be ready for a locker cutoff. You can bait it out if you know you’re heading towards a locker area and you purposely don’t look behind. Most Dredge’s will go for the cutoff. Do a quick 180 to a safe tile.

Dredge is cool. There’s just a lot of

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options

….a lot of great killers who can make even Clown seem S-Tier.

• UnknownKiller
    Options

I would definetely quit the lock mechanic with surv need to find the locks spreaded around the trial and put it strategically on lockers.I barely lock unless its on a gen and if we are winning and relaxed I farm those locks

• SailedSavage
    SailedSavage Member Posts: 280
    Options

I did not know about the locker pairs thing thank you!

• SailedSavage
    SailedSavage Member Posts: 280
    Options

I swear every other game I play against him. It's mostly him and Wesker for me 😫