The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What are your thoughts on matches against killers that use Hex: Pentimento?

Hanselpup
Hanselpup Member Posts: 187

What are your thoughts on matches against killers that use Hex: Pentimento? 26 votes

The perk is fairly balanced
57%
brokedownpalace[Deleted User]MrPenguinMattie_MayhemOGtenoresaxCrowmanFobboBasementDwellerAJStyIezGuiltiiAurelleBeoltharWowieChankeygamingtliff 15 votes
The perk is too strong
11%
HanselpupOrangeBearviewfan 3 votes
The perk is too weak
15%
roundpittWampiritaChikyMightytoxic 4 votes
Something else
15%
pizzaduffyhp90catfam05DuvieIron_Cutlass 4 votes

Comments

• Hanselpup
    Hanselpup Member Posts: 187
    The perk is too strong

For me, Hex: Pentimento seems like an interesting concept. The idea of recycling destroyed Hex totems is definitely unique, but when combined with certain perks (like Shattered Hope and other Hex perks, especially Hex: Plaything), it becomes very oppressive. If the killer brings Hex: Pentimento and several other hex perks, the survivors have to make a choice: do nothing and suffer from powerful hex perks the entire match, or cleanse hex totems to remove the perks, only to get a massive 30% reduction in repair speed (and others) if they do. If the survivors don't want to be very slow when repairing the whole match, they have to look for totems instead of repairing. If the killer brings Hex: Pentimento (and rekindles every totem), Hex: Plaything (and hooks every survivor), and one other hex perk, survivors would have to spend 14 seconds per totem, resulting in a total of 140 seconds total spent on totems alone. That's not even accounting for travel time, search time, killer interruptions, and other perks that might slow cleansing speeds. Usually more than half of the match is spent trying to find and cleanse hex totems just so that the survivors aren't massively debuffed all match. This isn't fun to deal with as a survivor.

Either the slowdown needs to be cranked back a bit, or rekindled totems need to be more easily destructible. Survivors should not be forced to spend their time searching for totems that just come back anyway, or go the whole match suffering from other hex perks they can't cleanse.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901
    Something else

When I see pentimento I'm just like meh alright let's see how this goes.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,345

The perk isn't weak per say, but it's a win more kind of perk. Honestly the devs couldn't really buff this perk in a meaningful way anyways since it's borderline on being useless and being good.

First you need survivors to actually cleanse totems and the easiest way to do that is with Plaything. You could also use Shattered Hope on the chance you encounter CoH, but that's less reliable.

Second you need to be a position where you have time to drop all pressure to go rebuild the totem. The action itself doesn't take long, but going out of your way to rebuild a totem on some maps can be considered throwing.

Thirdly, survivors can just break the totem. If you aren't in a winning position, survivors will just end up breaking the totem and continue to get gens done. Broken hexes give a noise notification so all survivors know where the hex was cleansed so unless someone is doing dulls, survivors who have been paying attention will know where to look for the totem.

30% Slowdown looks good, but it's attached with so many additional hoops that it's actually kind of a balanced perk. Killers will not win the game by simply having the perk.

• Duvie
    Duvie Member Posts: 80
    Something else

I didn't know this perk existed so I just searched it up and it sounds pretty cool, no idea how good or bad it is tho, but I like the idea of blocking all the totems when you reach 5 stacks.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809
    The perk is too weak

I'm a totem goblin, at the start of the match when I'm looking at gen spawns, I take care of all the totems in between.

I always HOPE killer has pentimento, it adds some thrill. ESPECIALLY that I'm a solo Q player, I can't tell my team I popped all 5 totems before killer even found someone. Killers carrying pentimento are probably excited to see all totems gone early too, they have hopes of getting the impossible 5 stack pentimento. And it's my job to prevent it from appearing once I get the notification pentimento is in play.

I never lost yet, I'm scared of the day I will, there's been few close games, but I'm not gonna ever stop. It adds something else to the boring as hell survivor gameplay. Yeah, I might screw my team completely one day, but whatever

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

I think it's fine. Survivors have to cleanse totems to get any use out of it and you have to bring a build in order for it to be viable.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419

Plaything directly shows you where your totem's aura is though. Players shouldn't be spending hundreds of seconds looking for them unless they just have bad RNG on a bad map or a teammate isn't contributing which makes every scenario a loss regardless. If you're not currently being pressured by the Killer then Plaything does absolutely nothing to you. How is the perk too oppressive when combined with other hexes when the perk literally doesn't work unless you combine it with other hexes? That's not an oversight, that was the intended design. There's not strong enough incentives for Survivors to be cleansing random dull totems instead of doing gens especially considering how popular and strong Circle of Healing is

Its also not an impossible mechanic that breaks the rest of the game, you simply cannot hear the TR until you're in a chase and experienced players are already spinning their camera 100% of the time anyway. They will be prepared more often than they're not, with the occasional scenarios where they get caught in a bad spot which is balanced for both sides. Also, is it really asking too much to memorize your totem spawn and check it again with quick scan from yards away if you see Pentimento is activated? When you consider that Pentimento builds are completely countered by boons and how that forces the Killer to play with 0-1 perks the entire game you start to see how overrated the combo is

Its not overrated in the sense that its not a high-synergy/high-risk/high-reward build that can win you matches, its overrated in the sense that its actually really easy to counter. Blindness, Exhausted and even the new Hemorrhage status effects are way more detrimental than Oblivious is