Killer is fundamentally flawed

Options

Let me start by saying I play survivor about 90% of the time. The killer just is not scary, unless you're facing an expert nurse or a killer that's running rare add-ons. When I want a relaxing match, I pick survivor. Does this make sense in a horror game?

F13 had way more than its fair share of developer issues, and as much as I take issue with some of the decisions of BHVR I'd definitely grant they are way more competent than Gun Media/Illfonic

However one thing F13 got right is the THREAT of the killer, there was not much tbagging because you better hope he doesn't catch up to you. Sure you can bully Jason also, but he gets stronger the more you do it. I'm not saying the solution is to give killer 1-hit kills. DBD is its own take on the asymmetrical format, but I do think some fundamental changes need to be made to killer to make them more of a threat and less of a joke.

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,221
    Options

I question whether DBD should be considered a horror game, by that logic.

Certainly it has a horror aesthetic, but I wouldn't call its core gameplay all that horror-inspired. It's more of a cat-and-mouse game than a pure, strict horror experience where you actually feel fear or tension regarding its mechanics. Through that lens killer is much closer to where it should be- enough of a threat that you do run, but not so much of a threat that being close to the killer puts you in insurmountable danger, for the most part. You can't run the killer if the killer is too threatening, that'd end up with the game being a lot more hide-and-seek.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

You could literally beat the hell out of, and murder, Jason.

I don't know how much Friday you played, but I've seen more than my fair share of Jason being a pinata.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,408
    Options

I'd say Killer became more of a threat since last big update. Not to say you can't still make them look like a joke. But it's way better then before at least.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

In friday 13th you can kill jason pretty easily and fight back even outrun him so is he more of threat than killer who is faster than you and unkillable?

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

I kinda liked many things about F13. For example the whole slower burning atmosphere was very nice, the whole concept was good, but it got entangled in disastrous development cycles, licensing issues, and all the rest. I would like to see something similar though.

DbD isn't really a horror game in my opinion. Both the killer and survivor roles are super basic, and simple. It's just an action game meant for short matches.

• WipeIncGamingYT
    WipeIncGamingYT Member Posts: 171
    Options

In the early days of DbD, 2016, survivors feared the killers. They used "spine chill" and "premonition". No one was running around. The meta was to hide and not get caught. No one looped around structures or pallets. 

If by some lucky chance 5 generators could be fixed, most killers had "No one escapes death". You could take that literally. NOED was with no time limit and no totem. Endgame collaps was not invented. So a game could be endlessly. Even then, all survivors could still die. If they got the gate open, they stayed on the line in the exit and got hit once or twice more so the killer could get more points. 

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    edited September 2022
    Options

Survivors in F13 have the equivalent of facecamping with Bubba aka stopping the killer completely from playing the game. I get you might find flashlight and head on squads annoying but in DBD you'll never be stopped from playing as killer.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

Good comparison to F13th. I feel that if that game had MMR, the counselors would be the power role by far, assuming they were playing well. Like, they have more advantages over the Jason in that game than survivors have over killer in this game. For those of you who don't know, counselors can essentially find a DS in a drawer, just as a random item. The thing I noticed is that if you can prep the houses, like setting a beat trap and opening the windows, it takes a looong time for the Jason to get you. No entity blocker, so he has to manually smash the windows so your slowly but surely get injured by vaulting them, and he has to hit the door like 5-7 times to break it.

I was proud of the time I bought for my team by prepping those houses and then looping them, but unlike in DBD, you personally might not escape because you did that. I can waste as much of Jason's time as I can, but unless I slowly but surely make my way to the exits or a car, he's gonna get me. In that situation, it's like when y'all have to help a head-trapped teammate escape a tunneling Pig (do all gens, leave so they get hatch). I'm dependent on my team using the time waste efficiently, because if the Jason eventually drops chase, I still need objectives to have been done or else we're gonna run out of time before he kills us all.

Him gaining Rage Mode is kind of what I wish killer was like in DBD. You slowly build up rage, which can be accelerated by how many times the counselors have stunned you, and once in Rage Mode, you're unstunnable except with a shotgun, which there can only be 2-3 of in a match.

The Jason equivalent of tunneling, the "cheap tactic" is something I call "just swinging" and what others would call "slash spamming". Instead of grabbing someone, which gives their teammates a chance to interrupt you/save them from you performing a kill, and also gives them a chance to pocket knife (find-able DS), they would just basic attack. Do that 4-5 times, and the counselor is dead. End of story. That's where most of Jason's power comes from. If BHVR were the devs, that would be gone.

The game's got a lot of problems like no MMR, seemingly no DC penalty because there's a DC every single match, massive power differences between the types of Jasons you can pick, and quite a bit of RNG. But for the most part, it probably went in a better direction than DBD did in terms of making the 1 strong in the 1v4 (or 1v7-8 in this case) and in terms of giving the counselors things to do. If the shenanigans with the fight for the license hadn't happened, essentially stopping the devs from releasing future updates, the game would be a great competitor for DBD.

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542
    Options

They changed a lot of things as time went along, once Jason got rage only a few things could stun him otherwise hitting him did noting and he could just grab you while you try, they reduced the amount of pocket knives so there was only like 4 per match. They did a few changes which made him stronger because they knew people could smack Jason around for 20 min.