The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Do you ever wonder why people kill themselves on hook

First off the bat NOT PROMPTING DCING.

So do you wonder why people kill themselves on hook like not trying to give the last person hatch I mean at the start of the game on first hook do you ever wonder why?

Comments

• th3syst3m
    th3syst3m Member Posts: 394

Nope, have you played the game? The game is #########, the devs are #########, and a large portion of the community is #########.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,956

bad maps

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,613

in that case you have trolls in your team... it's literally impossible to see 5 hooks without a single gen done unless you have a bunch of griefing trolls in your team who will do everything in their power to make you suffer

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

If you run the Killer for a long time and when you are downed, you see no one is on gens. 2 are crouching for no reason, one just jumped in a locker...

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,232

You can tell a lot of games are lost causes and that's when I don't have an issue with hook suicides. I don't understand the mentality that people should play out unfun games that you are going to lose anyway. My problem is more the people who get downed by Sadako 30 seconds into a match and immediately DC.

• Dead_Harder
    Dead_Harder Member Posts: 1,370

For the same reason when dcing has no penalty its so prevalent.

Some people are just like that.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

It's a ######### practice, usually done by toxic impatient survs. Admittedly I'll suicide on hook if the killer is clearly insanely above my skill level. Or if killer is deliberately prolonging the game just to BM. I don't do that often, last time i felt the need to do it was against a nurse on midwich who was taking us apart, grabbed me straight off a gen at the start of the game hit every blink. Post match they turned out to be a prestige 55 🙄 matchmaker ######### up on that game. Think we literally had 4 hooks before a single gen was done they were downing us so quick.

I'll do it but only extremely rarely and never at the start of the game. I see so many hook suicides on first hook in my matches and it's frustrating as a survivor. Like people peace out when they are on first hook, at the beginning of a game. Had one person do it on ormond, 2 gens done, someone else had been hooked once then this player got their first hook and just tried to escape then whiffed the skill checks on 2nd phase. Asked them why afterwards and just got a rant about how we were noobs and shouldn't be playing the game.

It horribly unbalances the game when a surv does that at the start if the game.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I get it, I would be lying if I said I don't do it myself but I do try not to. But because I have done so I don't get angry when others do as I get it and when I get the 5th Wesker in a row and my team mate kills themselves first hook I feel kinda relieved that I have an excuse to yeet outta that match lol

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Because they´re salty that they got downed first.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Because like me, they run bond and can see what their teammates are doing most of the time? Had a game yesterday where i saw one guy just running around, then the killer came and downed me after some time, and then i see 2 people on gen and the first one behind a bush at the opposite end of the map not bothering about anything but hidding. Killer hooked me, run in the opposite direction, and still that guy just hide. 2. survivor got downed, hook suicided, and then there is no reason to keep playing.

a 3v1 is usually lost anyway, so i just want to go back to the gambling wheel and hope i get a decent team for once.

• Hex_iButt
    Hex_iButt Member Posts: 233

It's just kind of a "go next" mentality tbh. I've seen a good share of teammates either doing nothing or being scared while the killer hooks me on the opposite side of the map. Personally, if I reach 2nd stage and nobody was on their way at all, I'm way more inclined to end myself on hook (and this has happened a few times with everyone still alive too btw).

• Tsulan
  • StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

It can be them just wanting to get to the next game faster, because they consider the current game a total loss.

It can be straight up BM, as they feel their team sucks or the killer is playing someone they hate etc.

I frigging hate it and wish BHVR tracked this stuff and penalized people who do it excessively, as it's pretty much just DCing with no penalty, but it is what it is.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Reasons why I suicide on hook:

Someone already dead at 4/5 gens.

Someone DCED at the start of the game.

Either the killer or someone on my team is a hacker/cheater.

Someone on the team is a sandbagger.

Something important irl happened and I need to log off.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I don't wonder because there's a ton of reasons someone could have for wanting out of a match.

Maybe their internet is being funky and they'd like the few BP they've already earned before they get kicked from the match and get 0 BP. Maybe the survivor recognizes the killer player because they've played against the killer before and the killer targets them to make their matches as miserable as possible. Maybe they see one survivor being chased while the other two are crouched in the basement pointing at eachother or locker hopping with no intention of making a save or doing anything. Maybe they saw fellow survivor cheating and don't want to be involved/accidently reported if they stay in the match. Maybe they have photosensitivity and are going against a killer that's bad for their health to play against. Maybe they are facing a Dredge and get eye strain/migraines from the darkness so want to avoid that. Maybe they have PTSD from hearing gunshots and the killer is Deathslinger. Maybe they're on a map that causes increased performance issues for their platform and it's going to probably cause a game crash anyway. Maybe they're just done for the day and are logging off. Maybe they all of a sudden need to go poop. Maybe they're a streamer playing stream loots cards and they got both an attempt escape card and ignore skill checks card. Maybe they're trying to do a tome challenge and don't think they can get it done that match so they just want to move on and hopefully next match is better for their challenge. Maybe they are new and the tutorial made them think they're supposed to attempt escape. Maybe they're just angry. Maybe they think it's fun to die immediately. Maybe they don't think the match will be any fun.

That's just some of the reasons I can think of or have seen people say on why they left a match, I'm sure there's more. When it happens in my matches I just figure "guess they didn't want to play this match" and I keep playing.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

No, because you only see that people are useless due to their actions in the match, dont you?

• Tsulan

I think making the loadout, daily and selected challenge visible for every teammate in the lobby. Would give a good idea on what to expect from them before the match starts. Thus preventing certain disappointments.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575

Lack of maturity, patience and will to improve.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022

1) then keep playing and make a comeback. If your team is so miserable, then be a proper skilled player and carry them.

2) If they DCed, this one is fine. The results have already been thrown out, and you're essentially vote quitting. The match was already ruined, not a whole lot of fault in this.

3 and 4) Then record and report instead of leaving. Hostage hacks are almost exclusively done by survivors against killers, which are the ones that actually require some form of disconnect. Otherwise you have the perfect opportunity to provide evidence and a report in bhvr's archaic system.

5) If its that important, you should be using the built in DC function to not waste time getting hooked and killed. The 5 minute penalty shouldnt matter if you have something more urgent that needs that attention.

The vast majority of reasons people give for suiciding on hook boil down to the fact that they don't get a penalty for doing it vs using the DC button. with 2 in this example someone else already ruined the game, so you're just trying to quit while keeping what points you were able to get before the match was ruined. The rest are just excuses.

Edit: Also for anyone who hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet, the more you suicide on hook and DC, the more you're going to get stuck in low MMR. If things like bad players are reasons for DCing, you're kinda making sure you stay stuck with them since they are fellow bad players at that point. You can encounter them at any MMR, but forcing losses on yourself kinda lowers you down into that territory.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

A lot of times you can see the writing on the wall; it's faster to just go next than delaying the inevitable, all for a few more thousand BP, but with a lot of frustration. I'm betting most people are just hoping for a more fun experience the next game.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I don’t need to justify any of my reasons to suicide on hook, all the ones I mentioned were pretty valid.

If you think someone can carry a 3v1 at 5 gens… idk what to tell you really.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

You're right, you don't need to justify anything. You already tried to though, which is why you opened it up to criticism.

as for comebacks, sorry, they managed to finish a single gen in the time it took the first person to die so its not a perfect example for your complaint, but here ya go:

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,127

The vast majority of cases are usually the player being pissy that they didn't get their way, and are just bityer kids.

A teeny, tiny minority may have a more satisfactory reason, such as they have some bugs or problems with the game, making it unplayable. Or maybe killers have blaitant hacks, or the other survivors are being dicks to them. However, these are extremely rare.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

No, not really. Just played some games as survivor and guess what happened? I was camped (and tunneled) in both of them close to the start of the game. This isn't fun. It's not a mystery why so many survivors leave games.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

You spawn on hooks against nurse.

Jk they heard the blink and went to nurse asking her for sweet release.

• ToastedTim
    ToastedTim Member Posts: 3

Mom called saying dinner was ready

Sorry for killing myself on first hook but she made pizza rolls (I love pizza rolls)

• Superbeasto1974
    Superbeasto1974 Member Posts: 141

I solo queue, and if I see that we are hopelessly outmatched, I welcome the Entity with a sweet embrace. Better to just tap out and move on to the next lobby.

• AcelynnBen
    AcelynnBen Member Posts: 1,012

i had a dwight who dc because i found him at 5 gens and downed him, as sadako.....

they are so losers, don't wanna play against that certain killer, or just wanna ruin the game for others

• BendIt
    BendIt Member Posts: 104

Summary: 95% Entitlement

Description: Far too many reasons to list...

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 389

Because oh look it's Legion again. Oh? Ah, he bounced off 3 people and managed to down me. And now there's 3 people self-caring on the corner of the map at 5 gens. Oh, well, better luck in the next one.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,828

Because that is fun for killer and killer queue times are long? Like it may be unfun for survivor but I mean what about the killer? They’re enjoying themselves.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,613

then it's not your or killer's fault... solo q sucks but not because survivors are weak... people must learn before complaining about stuff... if a claudette player who did the entire match hidden in a bush without doing nothing useful then in the endgame screaming killer op and solo sucks because she died and her entire team wasn't much different from that player except for a single survivor, would you nerf the killers or buff survivors according to the feedback of those kind of people? Be honest... in my case i would just ignore those kind of players