Am I playing this game wrong?

Grigerbest
Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,417
edited October 2022 in General Discussions

Hello, so there is been 2 days after a rank reset, new event comes up as well, so I played some matches as a killer since then.

In these matches I've had some really weird (to me) messages in the end-game lobby, when the matches were over.

What happened in these matches: Basicaly matches were going pretty quick, survivors were not lucky and they've made a lot of mistakes and missplays, which led them to do only 1 gen while everyone were already on death hook. I was done with the event thingy, I transfer all points by this point.

What I've done exactly after: So seeing survivors not having a good match, I decided to prolonge the game just for them to do gens, I purposely were braking the chases, and tried to chase them down without using a power (I was playing a Hag). In the meantime, I noticed that they are done with all gens and they probably done with the event thingy, so I decided to kill 1 this survivor that I was chasing. After I killed him, I went for another survivor near the gate, and killed her as well. Other 2 escaped from the trial.

Why I've done this: I know that there was a rank reset, so I thought, "If I kill them right of the bat, they will lose a pip and will have a little ammount of bp earned", me as well tho, I'm not a fan of a quick matches, coz I care for a good ammount of bp.

What we've had in the end:

1. No one depiped.
  2. Everyone have 30-45k bp.
  3. Probably everyone were done with event.

I'm not sure if they've had fun or not, but I did.=)

What they said to me in the end-lobby, were pretty random opinions:

1. Gg, thank you!
  2. Why are you farming?
  3. Can killers play this game normally?
  4. Gg, ty.
  5. Can you just hook us and stop being a "douchebag"?

Whenever I tried to type, they just instantly left, after Idk... 3-4 of such matches, I just start wondering: Am I doing something wrong?

Do they want me to kill them as quick as I can, so everyone will depip, everyone will waste their offerings for bp?

Is this actually a farming, when you play the game normally till the situations like this?

As much as I don't want to depip, I don't want them to depip as well, is this a bad thing?

This is weird to me. -_-

Comments

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022

Ranks (now grades) arent tied to matchmaking anymore, they're specifically for the monthly reset bonus BP. People have distilled their win condition specifically into escaping or killing, as that is what the MMR scores are based off of. Most people just dont care about pips and it shows.

• Grigerbest

Some of them still do care tho, mostly ofc I have a positive messages after such matches, but some of them are just... Idk it's weird.

• Grigerbest

No, it's survivors just standing by the hook and pointing at it.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,201
    edited October 2022

I wouldn't say most, but it's definitely split the player base in another direction.

You simply can't know what any given player will consider 'fun', and there are wildly different opinions. So there is no correct course of action.

You can't play nice.

You can't play sweaty.

You can't farm.

You can't end games quickly.

Because you will get complaints whatever you do. So don't worry, don't read the end game chat, just do whatever you're going to do, and if the survivors take issue with that, it's their problem. They made their bed.

It's a shame because the most fun games are always the ones where everyone is on the same page. The anniversary event was great, because I was able to dominate the start of most matches as Dredge, secure my 2 hooks per survivor, maybe kill one, and they'd more or less get all 5 gens done in that time. The amount of times it worked out that I'd orchestrate this 1K scenario that everyone benefitted from, without actually needing to pause the game and farm, keeping the pace so that everyone thought I was playing normally, it was great.

Sadly that doesn't happen anymore, since 6.1 everyone just gives up the moment they stop 'having fun'.

• Grigerbest

Yes! I think this is exactly why I'm getting confused over my gameplay.

It's different opinions from a different people.

• Grigerbest
    edited October 2022

No, they're on a death hook already. xD I don't actually farm with them, I'm just letting them to do some stuff before killing them. If the match is about to be over pretty quickly.

They pointing at the hook, coz they just want this match to end.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

I'm pretty sure the ones complaining are the dead ones and they thought you became friendly and would let everyone escape and they were entitled.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

So I do this a lot, most of my matches actually, unless i have certain challenges or are making my way through the final iri ranks. How I go about it is I play hard to get the first round of hooks, then evaluate how they are doing. If they have no gens done or like one with little other progress, I take a step back and let them reset. Push for your next round of hooks, look at where they are at after.

I generally won't try to kill anyone until they are at 2 gens left or so. Then depending on where their progress is, where my MMR is sitting (is it getting a little too high or low), and how they have acted during the match, I'll decide what outcome I'll aim for. That can be anything from a 0k to a 4k depending on a lot. Sometimes it's as simple as that Steve was an absolute tool so he dies and everyone else gets gate.

Regardless, if i have the kills that i intend to get, i'll fake chase people until they realize i'm not out to kill them until they all understand or the gens are done. I've been averaging about 30-40 hours a week and haven't had a single negative comment in months. That tells me they are having a decent time as a whole, I know I'm having a good time, and generally everyone leaves with fair to good amounts of BP and rank progression. Seems like the best way to play for me. Now if all someone cares about is "winning" or dominance assertion or whatever motivation some people have to have fun, it's not the method for them.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505

some people like to play the game instead of farming, and would rather that you just end the game so they can play another match, instead of having to dc and lose all event progress and bp from that game

• Grigerbest

Whenever time I see they pointing at the hook, I'm hooking them. Otherwise it's just forcefully holding them at the game which is not right.

My question is why? Why just don't do gens and go next with a lot of points? Personally I don't understand.

They completed only 1 gen, even if they stay and don't dc, they're not going to gain much if killer just decides to kill without hesitation.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
  • xni6_

noone i know really cares about bp, but in cases of a dc i just want some chases and to go next. forcing me to just completely give up gives me no bp (i dont care about that so no biggie), and gives me no gameplay (which is usually the reason people play games)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,212

Personally, I hate farming and just want out of that game. I always prefer to just play a normal match. Especially given how quick queues are now, it's quicker to just play normal games than it is to farm for eternity in a single game.

• Grigerbest

It's not actually even about bp or pips... I think at the whole - it's actually playing the game for fun, and don't sweat when you don't need to.

Look, let's say... You're playing a survivor and you're facing a "god nurse" for example, and this nurse is sweating as hell from the beggining to the point of none of the survivors have done anything and they're all on death hook.

Then this nurse just "turning down" for a bit and letting them complete some stuff, she still chasing them, but playing less efficient on purpose, is it really a bad thing to do as a killer?

I've seen some people even finding this rude when someone gives in on purpose, like: "I don't need you to go easy on us", it's actually feel like it has something to do with their ego.

Why do the killer needs to be sweaty, if he\she facing a survivors which are clearly not matching them for example? (MMR issue)

• Grigerbest

When you playing a killer, you probably had messages from some survivors like: "What a tryhard", "go outside", "sweatlord". =)

Some survivors don't like when killer is sweating, some survivors don't like when killer is gives in on purpose...

You just can't please everyone. xD

• VicRatlhead
    VicRatlhead Member Posts: 75

I try to count the hooks when I make a move like the OP. Generally I just avoid death hooking anyone in those mercy games. Otherwise I play full tilt. If I down a player on death hook they get "slugged". I put that in quotes because I really only consider it slugging when you camp them and don't let them get picked up.

Technically it's farming but really killers get decent points even in their worst games. So is the farming really for the killer or is it for the survivor? I've had survivors run to hooks and point at it and I just oblige them. I don't think many merciful players are going to hold a survivor hostage against their will.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,059

When you get that, it's best to just give them what they want; they want to exit the game and they've made their opinion about farming clear.

Some people hate it, but others really appreciate it, and I think it's worth it to do if that's what you feel like doing. And it's not even noticeable as farming if you just make some mistakes on purpose, chase for the fun of it, and give people fresh off hook a break (though they might taunt you for it.)

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

You cannot depip after grade reset for ash tier at least... I m not sure if it is also not possible to de-pip in bronze tier but at least it is really hard to de-pip there.

And also I can understand the frustration of survivors when the killer drags the game on, doing gens is the least fun part of the game therefore just having to sit there for another 3-4 minutes whilst knowing it is just because the killer wants it to might be annoying to some people.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2022

oh of course, and I still try to go for pips as well. They used to be much more important for people's priority and they incentivised more fair play and worked to create a buffer for efficiency where playing too efficient was almost a bad thing. All of that is gone now though, which is my point, there's just no real incentive from the game itself to play fair anymore.

Post edited by Ryuhi on
  • LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339

Why can't I get a killer like you lol. Every killer I have gone up against so far has me contemplating whether to do the event or not. This event has made both sides extra toxic. It's an event can't we all just do what you did so everyone can get event stuff and then when the event is over go back to slaughtering non stop.

I've seen my fellow survivors not unhooking people or healing people just so they can get points off the gens for the event. Then I have seen killers who kill you right at the rift before you can deposit your stuff.

If you want to kill me after I deposit I'm okay with that It's deserved but let me get my points for items.

• xni6_

personally if i get a killer whos doing well, im on death hook and maybe someone else is with most of the gens left and then the killers whole gameplay style changes and theyre all of a sudden a baby, i find that very offensive

i dont need you to go easy on me, idc about pips or bp, its just plain offensive that you think i need you to hold my hand. just play normally, kill me and my team mercilessly at 5 gens left. tunnel, slug and camp to your hearts content, chase me on sight when im death hook, etc. if we never stood a chance, dont make us stand a chance

its like facing your 6yo nephew in a halo 3 1v1. you absolutely should just destroy him, and humiliate him so bad that the bloodline cannot continue with him, not go easy on him, let him win, then tell him you went easy on him just so he could have fun because you are the superior player. (more simply, theres a difference between simply being better and rubbing it in your opponents face how much better you are, the analogy is a little off since if you never told your nephew, hed never know, but the player youre vsing does know regardless of you telling them)

• LylakLavender

Me personally I don't want the killer to go easy on me but during events like this where blocking people from rifts to deposit their points or stealing from them is not okay. Everyone should be able to enjoy the event. Like I said in a previous comment if a killer wants to kill me fine it's justified for my bad play but at least let me deposit my points. All this event has done is made both sides even more bitter. Now maybe you yourself don't care whether you get the stuff or not but I do. But I have a feeling you're one of those players who don't have to worry cause you're really good at the game so to you it doesn't matter. But to those of us who like the cosmetics we care.

• xni6_

i got everything as killer, so i cant speak to that, but maybe dont try to deposit directly in the killers face? like sure you wanna deposit your stuff, but killers arent under any obligation to let you

• LylakLavender

I'm not trying to do it in their face. But killer can see the rifts too and for me when I'm playing I see the rift is usually always spawned by a proximity where the killer is and unless you crouch to it the killer will see you. Unfortunately because it travels you can't crouch to it or it disappears at least that has been my experience. But you also said you play killer so of course you wouldn't agree. Just saying during the event show a little love so everyone can get the stuff.

• xni6_

lmao straight for us vs them. i play both roles, killer main but of late playing for the fast queues

idk what the deposits are like for survivor, but when i was getting the items i saw survivors do like 3 deposits total, and when i needed to deposit usually the things were across the map. playing survivor, i usually see theres one void thing in the inner middle and one outer middle, so its likely just rng but trying to stay close to objectives

• Grigerbest

I was never telling them in the end-chat that I actually went easy on them. Imo, thats cringe as hell. xD

Most survivors that noticed that, just saying "gg, thank you!" on which I reply with "Gl and hf in next!" Thats it.

Never in this game, I was bragging like: "I went easy on you guys", or "I was puposely throwing". Thats really cringy to me, and yes... Thats exactly why you can get offensive, I understand that.

"if we never stood a chance, dont make us stand a chance" - Why?! This is exactly what I don't understand!

There is a lot of unfair scenarios, when some killers just can't play serious, like: dc from the beggining, suicide on a first hook, killer went against "baby survivors", survivors just joking and messing around... I can't play serious sometimes ya know? xD

Ofc the fun part about this game is playing against strong survivors that you can just playing without holding yourself back, and giving your best till the very end.

But sometimes, the most fun part about this game is exactly some goofy scenarios or moments, that you can laugh at. xD

• xni6_

if you read the last part, it says they know regardless of if you tell them.

personally if the killer is better than me, i can tell pretty quick, and i know theyre likely gonna win as long as they dont make massive mistakes. if they start going easy on me bc im death hook, or start farming, or simply bc they "feel sorry for me" or whatever, i learn literally nothing from the encounter, i dont get to improve, i dont get to have fun, and the game lasts like 10 minutes longer than it should

if we dont stand a chance bc of a dc, just get the game over with, let me get a regular chase in before i go next, simple as that. i want to play the game not get babied