Is Dredge 'meta' / top tier?

Options

I've recently begun playing DBD again after a year long hiatus. One of the first new killers I jumped on was Dredge, who I've been playing nonstop and have been enjoying a ton.

During my hiatus, I kept up with content creators such as Otzdarva who have said Dredge is pretty upper mid/B tier. However, I've been seeing comments in my games lately from survivors saying Dredge is overpowered or just incredibly strong (Yes I know a lot of it is probably just salt but none the less it's made me curious enough to start this thread.)

I was particularly surprised to see that his killrate is higher than both Nurse and Blight even at top MMR. The recent kill data released only seems to confirm that he's stronger than what I've heard previously.

I'm curious what others thoughts are. Is he in a good spot? I need of buffs or nerfs? I'm particularly interested in the opinions of long time and high MMR players.

Comments

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

Personally, I do think he is strong. But Pulsar makes a good point. Look at Otz with Trapper. Man's a beast.

• BFunkP38
    BFunkP38 Member Posts: 14
    Options

For me he’s the least fun to play against, just can’t figure out how to go against Dredge. Nothing I try seems to work at all.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

I think the main takeaway from the kill rate stats is that all the kill rates were way closer than what people predicted.

When people think of tier lists, the different tiers are separated by much more than a 1% difference. If this were a fighting game tier list, then people would be arguing if everyone should be shoved into the same tier.

The other takeaway is that MMR is probably working a lot better than people give it credit for.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,498
    Options

He's not good enough. An M1 with teleports (obviously different from Nurse blinks) is still an M1.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

A lot of times, you just hold W. Which is why I will never play him again. Any killer where the counter play is W is boring for both sides.

• BFunkP38
    BFunkP38 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I’m a console player, no idea what W does 😛. But nothing I’ve tried works on the ones I’ve played against, which gives me zero interest in getting it as a killer. If I don’t have a good time facing a killer then I don’t want to be the guy who plays it and ruins other peoples time playing.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
    Options

The thing I hate about Dredge is he's so dependent on locker spawn RNG. If you get a map where there aren't any lockers by gens or on a chunk of the map, it's going to be a rough game

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

Hes a great noob stomper but suffers against anyone mid range to very experienced in the game.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2022
    Options

No, but that doesn't mean you can't win with him most of your games.

They are 100% way better killers that can preform well.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,527
    Options

Noob stomper. That's all. Decent survivors will beat him quite easily. The only thing that can actually be annoying for the survivors is the nightfall (and even then you can partially counter it with WoO), aside that mechanic his basekit is underwhelming (remenant placed? w+shift for countering it. Teleport? slow af except when in nightfall and the lockers can be locked)

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

It depends on your overall skill with the killer. As has been mentioned before, whilst killers have been given tier listings, a lot more about how great a killer can be is down to the player and how they utilise the character.

If you put in enough practice, you can have the capability to win most of your matches.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Imo the Nightfall mechanic makes him excellent at stomping noobs, and also console players who can barely see their screen.

• Ladyinadress18
    Ladyinadress18 Member Posts: 243
    Options

W is the “move forward”button, equivalent to you pushing your joystick forward on a controller. A-S-D-W on the keyboard are the equivalent controls of your left joystick

• Whoudini
    Whoudini Member Posts: 309
    Options

The dredge is not a great killer. He is not bad, but not great either, the stats do not mean anything. His counter play is to have two loops chained together and you just go between them when he tries to use his anti loop.

• xni6_
    xni6_ Member Posts: 505
    Options

hes above average, but not by that much, and hes no way near top tier (top tier = nurse, blight, spirit and artist, noone else is close)

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

He's around mid, high or low idk but he's no where near top tier. Killrates are just useless and always have been.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981
    Options

Dredge is fine where it is.

The thing has map mobility, stealth and good add-ons. He is interesting to play and offers tons of different options to approach survivors if the map RNG is on your side a little bit.

Killers with map mobility will always be in a good spot, no matter what you do to them. Applying pressure to survivors to not let them work on generators is the most important skill after all. Improving here is great and if you have a Killer like Dredge who can make use of this skill, then you have a good Killer.

I still do not think that he is a "top tier" Killer. However he is not weak and I would not say that he needs buffs or nerfs.

People also tend to forget the most important thing about a Killer: The overall feeling. Is the Killer fun to play, do you feel like xyz when you play it?

Myers is a weaker Killer, sure. However when I play him I get a good feeling, I am a stalky Boogyman that maybe could kill you right now (Tombstone Piece) and you have to respect me. I have an iconic chase music, I have thematic add-ons and my knife, I feel fine playing him.

Nightmare and Twins are the opposite. They are strong but the gameplay just feels boring and uninspired (or clunky). I do not feel like a "god" in my Dreamworld and I do not feel like I control two bodies when playing twins, more like I release my pet dog to hunt somebody and then I need to pick up the leftovers...

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Dredge became my second main killer after his release, because i enjoy playing him very much.

I dont think he is op or anything, but he is very solid. But a lot of him comes down to rng, because on some maps there are locker-deadzones around gens, where you basicly have no power at all. sometimes, when lockers are placed well in your favor, it becomes a stomping.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857
    Options

I love the dredge, it feels like playing him he doesn't get pushed around by the survivors as much without feeling like he's overbearing. especially since he has great synergy with most perks.

as a survivor i dont hav etoo much trouble but i see lots of pubs do

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    edited October 2022
    Options

Dredge is a solid macro killer because they have excellent map mobility and decent stealth. They have a bit of anti-loop too but I’m pretty sure that’s not a major factor, the mobility and stealth though shouldn’t be underestimated.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

And yet has the third highest kill rate in top 5% MMR.

Sure kill rate is not all but I do think Dredge is probably B or even low A tier. Underrated killer.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

I think Dredge is fine.

It's not the strongest, but it doesn't need to be. It's a viable pick that is a lot of fun to play with and honestly that's all a Killer really needs to be.

I only have two complaints:

1. the locker group locking mechanic hurts it a lot without having any counterplay from the Killers side of things, I'd like there to be a way to get around it as Dredge
    2. its map dependency - you're simply put not going to have a good time on Rotten Fields or any other map that has only a few lockers on it
  • TeleportingTurkey
    TeleportingTurkey Member Posts: 589
    Options

yeah, I wish devs addressed that.

Especially locker spawns. It's horrible that some maps have so little lockers you can't properly utilize your ability.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,979
    Options

The pick rate data that got shared has him at 2% pick rate. So he's not meta. Likely just has some really dedicated players.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,359
    edited October 2022
    Options

No.

Matchmaking just sucks and "high MMR" covers too big of a skill gap. While that might be the top 5% of Dredge players, they're not only being matched with the top 5% of survivors. They're being matched with anyone at the MMR soft cap, and if they wait long enough below it too.

Nightfall also preys on players who don't map out their routes beforehand. So it's going to inflate his kill rate a bit.

Ideally they would tighten the matchmaking to avoid situations where we get Pinhead and Dredge over Nurse and Blight, which is not true at all. But as of now they'd rather prioritize speed over having players of comparable skill in the same match.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

Kill rate doesn't mean as much as you think it does. what % of that is from suicides? Or better yet other BETTER killers have lower kill rates.