Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New to killer, Which one do i pick?

i just started playing the game with 16 hours on survivor and 0 on killer

Comments

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498
    edited October 2022

Doctor. I started with him. Easy to learn, nice powers -- you can always know where survs are. And he is fun. And he is a default (free) killer on a special edition version of the game.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

What kind of gameplay do you like? Because there are several Killer archetypes and some people may like certain gamestyles more than other.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,209
    edited October 2022

I second Doctor.

You might not have as good a chance at winning to start with, but he's essentially a basic "M1" killer with a power that can help you locate and maybe even slow down survivors via Static Blast, which will be very handy when you're starting out playing killer.

You'll learn the basics of chasing, looping, etc. while having an info power as a crutch. Eventually you'll learn to use his Shock Therapy to help with or even shut down loops, but that's more advanced stuff.

Wraith isn't a bad choice either, but you're essentially trading info for map traversal, which isn't that useful if you don't know where to go in the first place. You're not likely to capitalise on his stealth until you get better, but it's there.

Trapper, as the poster boy, could also be an option. His power doesn't take dexterity or 'skill' to use well, it takes knowledge. So if you can work out the best places to put your traps, then you'll be as good as most other Trappers. Having played survivor already you might already have a little insight into this. Just don't fall into the 'trap' of placing your trap directly under a pallet.

I think that most players will "gel" with one of those basic paradigms; Info/Slow-down, Speed/Stealth, and Strategy/Zoning. On top of that there's Ranged killers, but there aren't really any 'easy' ranged killers, unless you're on PC and are used to FPS's, then you could try Huntress.

From there you can move on to other killers who fit the similar mould. So for the Info/Slow-down paradigm you could move to killers like Pinhead or Pig (yes not stealth as much as slowdown and you can use her powers and perks to keep tabs on survivors). Speed/Stealth would include killers like Spirit, Legion and Dredge. Strategy/Zoning could be Hag, Demogorgon, Pyramid Head.

Then you get all-rounders like Freddy and Sadako, though I wouldn't suggest starting as these as they can lead to forming bad habits, jack of all trades, master of none and all. And as an additional layer, you want to consider if killers have a power that helps them in a chase, or is 'anti-loop'.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Legion is great to learn killer !

It's an "M1 killer" (it doesn't have any complicated mechanic that is specific to them in chase) so any skills you'll learn from them will make you better at killer in general. Legion is great to injure survivors quickly. It's power, Feral Frenzy, makes you detect survivors at long range, so if you're getting frustrated with the one you're chasing, you can just hit them with frenzy (which is not that hard because it makes you run faster) and then find another target. It makes you more aware of what anyone is doing at any time and allows you to patrol gens a bit more easily.

Their perks are quite good as well (Discordance lets you know if 2 or more survivors are on the same generator, Iron Maiden makes it so that survivors can't hide in lockers without you knowing about it and it makes them possible to down in one hit, and Mad Grit is kind of niche, but it works well against teams that take hits for each other while you're trying to hook someone)

Other than him, Wraith is also great for beginners, though I can't say I've played him much :)

Wish you luck on playing killer ! The gameplay is much more intense than survivor, you don't get any down time, but it can be a lot of fun. Always keep a clear head, try not to get angry or hurt if people are trying to provoke you (I don't get many of those personally, but I hear it's common).

Good luck !

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

Doctor is a fine choice, but I would say the best starter killer is Wraith. Doctor is pretty straight forward, but success with him depends a lot on timing and feel for the pace of looping. In my experience, a lot of beginners just mindlessly shock survs without accomplishing much.

Wraith is pretty stock standard in chase (relatively), so if you're looking to just get a feel for the essence of killer, he's a good choice. Clown would also be a decent choice actually, or any non-OP killer without a unique anti-looping power, imo.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

Wraith. He's fast, so you'll be getting into chases faster than anyone else, which is what you should be practicing starting out. Trapper, Hillbilly, Nurse, and Huntress are great and all, but the way they play is very different from the standard M1 game.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,606

Wraith and Trapper may be the most intuitive ones.

I think Doctor is a bit more difficult because it requires some good timings. It's a bit more complex than these two IMHO.

Huntress is quite enjoyable but requires some good aims and understanding the collision boxes.

Billy is even more difficult.

Hag is too special for a beginner.

Don't even look at the Nurse until you have a few hundred of hours in the game.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,169

Wraith, Doctor, and Legion are typically what I recommend to newer players.

Doctor has information with his power (Static Blast) which makes him easier to use and Shock Therapy can have a huge learning curve with it but is decent anti-loop in the right hands.

Wraith is simply, he is easy to pick up and understand. Also he has a lot of flexibility in terms of builds because of his addons. He also have decent and consistent mobility while cloaked because of Windstorm addons and basekit cloaked movement speed.

Legion is makes use of a lot of perks other killers otherwise cannot get use from, they have information (Killer Instinct from Feral Frenzy) and has built in slowdown (Deep Wound) with it. They are easy to pick up and understand, and just like Wraith, he has a lot of flexibility from their addons.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

Base-Character = Wraith is your choice

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

All the fine people here already gave you some pretty solid recommendations, ie Wraith, Doctor, Legion.

I would also recommend them, but also want to offer The Dredge. He is a bit more complex with his kit, but has some interesting perks that make it a bit easier to deal with palettes (Dissolution) and help a lot with locating survivors (Darkness Revealed).

His map mobility can help you get close to some distant notifications and jumpscaring survivors or snacking then when they fiddle with a lock will never get old. Besides that, in chase he is 90% a normal M1 killer, so he is good for learning the ropes of he killer trade.

• Roaroftime
    Roaroftime Member Posts: 418

not Wesker he's overplayed

• LylakLavender
    LylakLavender Member Posts: 339

From what I have been told Oni is a pretty easy killer to play. But I could be wrong.

• Okonar_
    Okonar_ Member Posts: 499
    edited October 2022

Wraith is good to learn the fundamentals, when I started I basically played wraith, leatherface, trapper, doctor, billy. Just go for what you enjoy, it really doesn't matter

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited October 2022

If you are going for the Best BP earners...

Here are The killers that are the biggest Blood point earners, or killers that don't have to do as much to earn a lot of BP due to how their kit works, listed from highest to lowest but still above average:

1. Legion and Doctor
    2. Onryo, Wraith, Oni, Nurse, Blight, Spirit, Mastermind, Trapper, Dredge
    3. Ghost Face, Hag, Nightmare, Executioner, Cenobite, Nemesis

Q: What is this based off of?

A: How many BP categories earn points by using the killers powers.

Legion and Doctor are at the highest because Their powers consistently earn points in 3 categories: Deviousness, Brutality, and Hunter. For example: When Doctor uses his static blast each scream adds to the Hunter scoring for revealing survivors, Each survivor hit with either his shock therapy or static blast earns him points in Deviousness, and Shock Therapy alone also earns a bonus scoring in Brutality if you hit a survivor soon after shocking them. For Legion, this should be even more obvious due to the high chase, injury, and revealing with Killer instinct potential + the bonus Deviousness + Brutality gained for each chained Frenzy hit.

Comparatively, the 2nd tier on this list still earn in all 3 of those categories, but not as high of a points gain as Legion and Doctor do. The 3rd Tier on this list are killers that earn points in 2 categories consistently while using their powers, but only just enough to go above the Avg that the rest of the killers like Clown, Hillbilly, Trickster, Huntress etc all achieve by normal play.

This is not to say that you can't earn high BP with a killer like Huntress, but that you have to work much harder for it to put as many points into each category as possible, Whereas Doctor just needs to keep shocking and hitting to put points into 3 categories simultaneously. My biggest surprise was learning how many points Onryo earns by using her power and either condemning or striking survivors, turns out she's a little miss moneybags.

Anyways, this should help you in your quest for high BP earning, just always remember to use BP offerings to increase the amount of bonus BP you earn Post trial, and you'll be good to go!

Otherwise, Try the FTP killers first, decide which one you like, and look into other killers that may or may not be similar. All in all, This game has a staggaring variety of killers, powers, and playstyles to enjoy, so if you find yourself liking Wraith more, look at all the Stealth killers! If you Like Trapper, I guess look at Hag and Freddy (not many setup/trap based killers tbh), If you like Nurse, go for Teleport killers like Onryo, Dredge, Hag, If you like Hillbilly, go for High mobility killers like Blight, Wesker, Spirit, Legion, and if you like Huntress, you might consider Plague, Trickster, or Deathslinger. If none of the base killers playstyles/powers fit for you, there's a plethora of others that feature unique powers and playstyles that might be more towards your liking. For example, if you prefer more Map control, then Doc, Dredge, Cenobite and Plague are problably best for you. If you prefer a killer that Stalls survivors from their objectives, Cenobite, Legion, and Pig fit the mold. Honestly, Just ask this community by giving us your Preferred playstyle, and I'm sure we can make a good suggestion!

• TWiXT
    edited October 2022

Also, Plague is far more powerful than most realize, and has good perks too... while she may not be good for beginners, she's still my favorite go-to girl because she defeats the healing meta... if you want to know more just ask, and I can give you a full rundown of why I main her.

• TWiXT
    edited October 2022

Also Also, @PhosphorusBullet , Since you are seemingly new to DbD... I highly suggest you take a look at this long ass post:

Yeah, I know it's my own, but it gets a lot of praise, and I feel for anyone starting out in this game, it really helps give you a feeling for how you should play it. Others may mock it, but ultimately, I just want everyone to have a good time, and feel like you'd gain more from reading it than any other post regarding how the game should be played. Read it if you have the time (I did warn you it was a LONG post).

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I'd say do for wraith or doctor

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13 Member Posts: 182

Start with wraith to learn basic mechanics of the game. You can easily catch up to survivors when you make a mistake by cloaking and zooming. Always check around generators and get a feel for maps and everything.

Move to doctor next. He can help out more with finding survivors, but he doesn't have the extra speed to recover from mistakes like wraith does.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Doctor is a good starter makes it easy to find survivors and he naturally slows gens down, wraith is pretty good too, just remember he's not totally invisble when phased. Legion is pretty easy to use as well if you read how feral frenzy works first.

But tbh, killer is pretty easy to start with, low mmr survivors run around like headless chickens and tend to not rush gens enough. Once you've spent a week mincing solo q potatoes and your mmr rises you'll start getting much tougher games.

• The_Scarlet_Witch
    The_Scarlet_Witch Member Posts: 209

Play Basement Bubba

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I agree with the people that said Wraith. You'll learn "regular" chasing, he's fast so you can go from place to place pretty quickly, and you'll get to get closer to people a lot of the time before they start running. Also got some fun and varied add-ons to play around with.

• K139K05
    K139K05 Member Posts: 217

It's a hard decision. If you want to learn the basics of each killer and don't care about good perks, I recommend Wraith. If you want good perks and also learn 'set-up killers', I recommend Trapper. If you want a slightly harder time learning killer (and also understand the basics of ranger killers), I recommend Huntress. But if you have also some DLCs, I can also recommend following killers:

- Learning basics: Doctor, Legion.

Overall, most killers aren't that hard to learn (there are some exceptions). Just keep in mind that everyone makes mistakes and that you should learn from them. If you can do that, you'll become a great killer very soon. Also being adaptive is an important skill that every killer player should have.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Here is a video answering your question:

• sammuel09
    sammuel09 Member Posts: 1

Wraith I think

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

Doctor is good as you might struggle with finding survivors at first plus he can farm BP more easily.

Wraith is also good with a very standard playstyle, good for learning maps/loops and can surprise survivors especially the new ones.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

Wraith would be my go to suggestion. He's free and very simple to wrap your head around. Cloak to be invisible and move fast, uncloak to get a big speed boost and attack people. Simple as that. Whether you're using it to sneak up and get an easy first hit or to move around the map faster, there's really no wrong way to use his power.

That way, you can focus on things like chasing and finding Survivors without worrying about how to use your power efficiently as well.

• mischiefmanaged
    mischiefmanaged Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 374

If you don't want to pay anything and have no iridescent shards, I'd say Wraith or Trapper. The problem with Wraith is his teachables are... awful. Trapper's teachables aren't much better, but they at least help with some of the more basic things in the game such as breaking pallets a little faster and more speed when getting to hooks.

If you're willing to pay money, Sadako is probably the best starting killer in the game. Her power is incredibly simple to understand, her stealth is some of the best in the game, and 2 of her teachable perks are meta-ish at moderate to high MMR and her third teachable is meta at low MMR. Her power isn't really a chase power so you can focus on just learning the basics of chasing.

For a "free-ish" killer (one you can earn with shards), I think Dredge, Legion, and Plague can be good options. Dredge can teleport which is similar to Sadako and also has some minor stealth. But, his perks aren't really meta and are more just kind of fun. Legion's power is pretty straightforward, but it removes scratch marks and gets punished pretty heavily on miss which can be punishing for a new player. Only one of his perks (Discordance) is any good. Plague probably has the best perks, but her power is a bit hard to aim. But, you can just puke on things, get people infected, and play as a normal M1 killer and she does that pretty well.

• FellowKillerMain
    FellowKillerMain Member Posts: 858

I second doctor, because it's who I first played as well. But, there was a huge downside I found to him when I started to main Bubba: the doctor prevents you from learning good tracking early on and if you play him a lot you can get lazy. Maybe you won't, but I did! When I started maining Bubba I had to play with spies from the shadows and whispers for a long time until I learned how to track. Those two perks are probably still my favorites, though. Maybe I'm just bad at tracking? lol

• The_Scarlet_Witch
    The_Scarlet_Witch Member Posts: 209

Dude don't listen to the dev wraith is bad, you need Bubba to carry out the best strat in the game basement bubba.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

Doctor: easy to locate survivors but power has a learning curve due to distance and detonation delay.

Wraith: he's okay to use. He moves fast when cloaked but the speed debuff while uncloaking hurts.

Dredge: my main rn. He's simple enough as M1 but darkness helps him tremendously. As mentioned before his perks help finding survivors and destroying pallets for chases

Trapper is a decent option to begin. It'll teach you the fundamentals at loopijg at lower MMR. You will lose games but if you focus on chases moreso than winning it'll help long term

• FentV1rus
    FentV1rus Member Posts: 112

Doctor is simple, and he has some okay perks.

I personally went with Legion when I started out. Very simple power, and they are able to generate a fair amount of Bloodpoints.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

Wraith is probably the best killer to start with.

• AverageAshEnjoyer
    AverageAshEnjoyer Member Posts: 427

I'd recommend wraith because of how simple he is.

• Aceislife
    Aceislife Member Posts: 259

Bubba. Bubba, always.

• DY86
    DY86 Member Posts: 570

Depends on ur play style but I recommend easy M1 killers cause they’ll help you with game sense and the basics of playing Killer.

doc, wraith and Clown are fairly easy.

Legion is a very nice second option as his power is easy to learn. Also Bubba.

DONT PLAY TRAPPER!

weakest killer in game, too gimmicky as the setup tales a while, and the payoff us laughable