How often do killers miss basic attacks?

Options
dugman
dugman Member Posts: 9,714

One thing I’ve always been curious about but don’t have a good way to track without the game actually providing the stats is how often do killers at various MMR brackets miss attacks? Obviously the higher rated the killer the less likely they are to miss a given swing, but I always get the sense that on average players miss more often than they think they do. For instance, I suspect Unrelenting might be a bit underrated as a perk because one of the common arguments against it is that you shouldn’t ever miss an attack in the first place, but I have a sense that if you actually tracked missed attack percentages you’d find you’re missing sometimes but forgetting it happened later. In fact there’s even a bit of evidence in that in how many people complain about aim dressing “making them hit objects”, when in reality an aim dressing object hit is because the game already determined that you missed the target and is compensating by “correcting” your aim to hit something else nearby instead.

It would be kind of an interesting data point if a dev pulled stats someday on basic attack miss percentages hours played. So how often do players with less than 50 hours miss compared to people with 100 or 500 or 1000 hours? (Assuming the game tracks that stat of course. It seems like a stat that might be tracked internally for development purposes though.)

As far as me, personally I guess I roughly miss an attack or two on average per match against survivors who are actively good at dodging. If someone is exceptionally good at it maybe more, especially if I’m not in the zone timing wise. And I probably have attacks miss or get interrupted one to three times a game by pallet drops or vaults simply because I see I need to take a stab at them or lose the opportunity. My nephew on the other hand started playing the game a few weeks ago and when I was watching him he whiffed quite a lot because he didn’t have the timing and patience yet, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of his attacks missed when survivors dodged. (Ironically when he was playing Huntress he seemed to have a better hit percentage with the hatchet than when he just swung the axe.) And while I don’t play survivor very often, occasionally when I do I’ve managed to get killers to whiff me as well even though I’m otherwise terrible at it on that side of the fence.

So out of curiosity how often do you as a killer think you miss attacks? Or on the flip side, as a survivor, how often do you dodge attacks?

Comments

• dugman
    Options

Lol, if even you miss attacks I think that reinforces my belief that almost everybody does. 😄

• dugman
    Options

Oh, and on a related note, I can’t really seem to find anything testing if Unrelenting speeds up cooldown after you hit an object instead of a survivor. The wiki does say that hitting an object has the same 1.5 second cooldown as swing at air but it doesn’t specifically seem to say anything about if Unrelenting treats whiffs the same as hitting rocks, etc.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

Pretty often. I'm an impatient killer with depth perception issues !

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    Options

Unrenlenting on Dredge was a favorite of mine during the last days of old dead hard. It comes in clutch sometimes and can bait early unhooks for grabs.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,494
    Options

Funnily enough, I went to the optometrist because I kept missing swings as Killer on my left side.

Turns out I managed to make a pretty decent cut in my eye and that's why I was having trouble tracking things out of my left eye.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

I miss quite a bit against good jukers. Also at windows.

• dugman
    Options

Oof! I didn’t get lasting damage or anything but I got an iron filing in my eye a while back and it hurt like heck, eye injuries suck!

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250
    Options

I still make mistakes, still waiting for PS4 to go to 60fps, but if it does I will still make mistakes. I am a bad player...

• dugman
    Options

That’s actually a great point, I play on PC but I’ve heard killer is a bit harder on console. (My nephew is on PS5.)

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,494
    Options

Luckily it's not too bad and has already started to heal.

Now I just have to use goopy eye drops.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,911
    Options

i would say my rate is around 1 miss out of 20 games. I dodge 0 m1 attacks. the killer against are impossible to 360. Most my games are against nurses and blights with other random stuff. The other random stuff is wraith, legion, huntress and wesker. sometimes, the weird killers show up.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

I miss 5-10 per match when I played... and I also play on Xbox one

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

It can be impossibly harder to follow a 360 on console. I’ve tested this on controller, and the max camera turn rate is absolutely horrible. The survivor will move behind the killer, and no amount of walking backwards or camera turning can reach them. It basically means that lunging at certain ranges is just unreliable with a controller.

This is compared to a mouse, where my default DPI is good enough that I can easily turn my camera faster than a survivor can 360 around me.

I’m also interested on how much worse aim dressing is for console, because it would be harder for them to handle when their camera gets forcibly yanked from them.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

I have the lunge distance quite memorized except on Sadako. Girl is so short my depth perception is thrown off so hard, I'll lose entire games thinking i can hit things i actually cant.

• Carmina_is_cute
    Carmina_is_cute Member Posts: 94
    Options

I play a variety of killers and the difference in height and perspective messes me up quite a lot. If I switch to a killer I haven't played in a few days I'll miss a few attacks before getting the hang of it.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

Popping in here to make the obligatory 'Hit-Dressing is the dumbest thing BHVR still stands by to date and I have no clue why they don't develop the awareness to strike it from the game.'

And I'm out.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

Aim-dressing, or bhvrs silly way of saying Aim Assist because thats really what it is or else it wouldn’t be able to lock onto hits that I know I missed, works right 20% of the time, other 40% turns my killers into lumberjacks or lawnmowers, and another 40% goes to me being stupid and thinking I will hit them from the other side of the pallet or hit them over a vault

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,088
    edited October 2022
    Options

It depends on the killer. If i'm on PH/Nurse, way too much. Dredge, Spirit, & Pig on the other hand, almost never.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,186
    Options

Depends, are they playing Doctor? If so, they miss all of them.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Depends on your ability as Survivor. You can easily make a Killer whiff with mindgames. Faking a vault for example is a great way to bait swings. Of course, the more experienced the Killer, the less they will fall for it (in theory).

• Bedslamb
    Bedslamb Member Posts: 70
    Options

often wondered why i miss more on the Doc than any other killer

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,772
    Options

With auto aim still a thing it happens quite a bit.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 898
    Options

Is this a thing recently? I don't remember ever having trouble on Doc, but just yesterday I missed two Doc lunges right out in the open, and I otherwise never miss lunges because after thousands of hours of playing I should know them down to the centimenter. Felt weird, but I chalked it up to having played Sadako before whose lunges can feel deceiving.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    edited October 2022
    Options

I have an occasional miss here and there. The most common cause is if I'm impatient or trying for an attack before they get to a vault or pallet with survivors actively spinning or dodging a solid third (I have a bad habit of falling for the "run back into you Dead Hard")

I think missing attacks is going to be more common in lower/beginner MMR. One of the things I remember having to learn my first few games as Killer is judging attack distances and timing.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

As a console player who feels like aim-dressing is constantly working against me, as someone who has 20/200 vision and developing cataracts that's getting progressively worse and whose eyeglasses only help so much these days, and as arguably one of the oldest (in age) people probably playing DBD on a regular basis whose reflexes are a shadow of what they once were -- the answer is a lot more than I'd like it to be, lol.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923
    Options

Depends on how braindead I feel that day, some games I spend the whole time just lunging at everything and TBF it tends to work very well, even with the changes to pallet detection if you are willing to risk the whiff you can get a hit through, also it really shocks me how long killers lunges look sometimes like istg legion just has a hidden longsword they whip out for a special attack at the end of their lunge and every match of sadako I get even more shocked by her lunge.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,603
    Options

I miss more hits with certain killers and I don't know the reason, with Pyramid head, Doctor and Pig I think they are the killers in which I have more misses and with Trapper I rarely miss a hit. Also, with all the killers I miss a lot of hits in windows, because I always have the need to try that hits, because when you achieve one it feels very satisfactory.

• Hawk81584
    Hawk81584 Member Posts: 405
    Options

I’d imagine with the auto aim built in those numbers are far less than the yd be if it wasn’ta thing

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

More than I'd like to admit, but ngl, auto aim (or aim dressing) screws me a lot. Especially on console, and when survs are trying to FOV me.

Sometimes I'll miss more when using a killer I rarely use (pretty sure much of it is in my head, but some attack anims/timings feel different to me).

I don't really count misses at vaults/windows the same way I do others, as lunging and hoping for that latency hit is your only course of action.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Idk, people make mistakes all the time, so probably inevitably a lot

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

Same. It's frustrating because I don't understand it.

• Jay_K
    Jay_K Member Posts: 411
    Options

Honestly as a killer main i can safely say I miss on average 2 - 3 hits per match. This isn't always down to me, sometimes im auto aimed into the bush or wall.

"But auto aim isn't a thing" I hear behaviour and many survivor mains say.....Yeah it is and there is a video where the devs explain what it is and how it works....Auto Aim XD

But i got side tracked.

Just because I (or others) miss some basic attacks doesn't make us bad killers. Sometimes we get spun but a lot of the time i miss is because i'm just trying to snag that hit before the survivor reaches a pallet/window so i swing early just to try my luck and it doesnt pan out. (or sometimes it does if latency is on my side)

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

Yeah, some survs want to believe aim dressing isn't a thing because it allows them to feel like every miss is down to their mad juking skills, but it is absolutely a thing. I would say at least half of my whiffs are down to auto aim.

That said, some days I'm just off, usually moreso during my first couple killer matches of the day.

• K139K05
    K139K05 Member Posts: 217
    edited October 2022
    Options

As a regular killer enjoyer I would say 2 to 3 times a match. Sometimes you just think you would hit someone and miss, sometimes they dodge. But most of the time missing a basic attack isn't that common. However, if we include special attacks, it would be much more common (at least for me). Sometimes you just want to snipe to get a cool shot with Deathslinger or survivors dodge your hatchets.

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143
    Options

I usually don't miss at all, or at least almost. Only in matches that really make me angry (which to my luck rarely happens). But in these matches I miss quite a lot. Really gotta work on that.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 882
    Options

I sill have corn in my eyes swinging around my weapon.

• Huevix01
    Huevix01 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I came back to playing killer some time after the Overwatch 2 launch, I eat every 360 someone does but after some matches im sure ill bé back on my feet.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Here's some reasons for making mistakes and missing M1:

1. Killer new to the game.
    2. Killer is sleepy or tired after a "rough day".
    3. Killer is angry, tilted, salty.
    4. Killer is very impatient.
    5. Auto-aim (sometimes).

Usually these are the reasons why even a good and expirienced killers miss M1.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

I'm on controller and my accuracy is nowhere near as good as it should be with the amount of hours I have. The biggest problem I find is how I react to a miss I should have got, If I stay calm I should be okay, but if I miss a second time, that's it my game is done. I then won't even be able to hit a Jeff running in a straight line.

Fortunately, when I do manage to down someone, I can practice my swings by repeatedly hitting them on the hook until they get sacrificed.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,093
    Options

When I'm playing as survivor? Never. They even get hits that I'm like "but how? You were on the other side of the wall and 10 feet away!"

When I'm playing as killer? All the time. Alot of "if I was survivor that would've 100% hit me." 😂