Feng Min's "cosplays"...

Options
Laluzi
Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553

Okay, Feng getting another licensed character's new outfit once was funny, but at this point it's getting a little sad. We know she's a cash cow, BHVR, you don't gotta be so obvious about it.

I'm thrilled about getting Princess Heart for Cheryl, and her first outfit in two years is some good food for Silent Hill fans, but c'mon. Is this just how it's going to be now? Feng Min 'cosplays' every new female outfit that looks like it might sell well?

Comments

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,995
    Options

They could of said something like "princess heart" is a popular anime character or something.

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422
    Options

In addition Feng is a gamer girl. It makes sense she would cosplay as her favorite video game characters. I get it though and am not a huge fan but I would be more frustrated if they decided to start doing cosplays for Meg, or Mikaela or Felix (Outside the AOT ones) because at least Feng makes some sense.

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

Not a fan, but at least the Princess Heart cosmetic looks like an actual cosplay and not Feng stealing Cheryl's clothes.

• Laluzi
    Options

That's the Watsonian interpretation. The Doylist one is that Feng skins sell like hotcakes, so they're going two-for-the-price-of-one by creating outfit assets for one character, making minor edits, and then selling the same thing on Feng for more money.

If they were giving them to Meg or Mikaela, it'd be less of a cash grab (although those are still characters that sell really well.)

I did notice that with the headphones and the boots, but for me, that's like praising a kid for using proper punctuation when they hand in an essay that's just "This is an essay." repeated 200 times. It's still zero-effort content.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

I agree with everything, making some characters fictional in some universes feels boring as hell, I feel like dbd's multiverse was added just to overcomplicate things

• Laluzi
    Options
  • AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    Options

I agree 10000% but I keep seeing the same response everywhere:

"She's the most popular, of course they're gonna prioritize her"

She's increasingly popular BECAUSE they continue to prioritize her so much. Tell me a recently released character that gets the promotion or attention that Feng gets? They don't, they get sent to the back of the shelf off the rip 9/10 times so that they can turn around and say "You see guys, we only did it because nobody uses them and wants to buy their stuff, not because we have favorites". Give people more stuff to buy and show more respect for the other characters and I bet the numbers will reflect that

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Man, I really hope that BHVR now starts to release a new Feng-Cosmetic for every other Cosmetic. Like, Nea gets a Cosmetic? Feng gets a similar one. Adam gets a cosmetic? Feng as well!

New RE-Cosmetics? Feng has Cosplays.

Like, why all this Feng-Hate? She is not even getting the most Cosmetics. Dwight and Meg get at least around the same amount of Cosmetics, yet I have never seen someone complain about that. Even newish Characters like Felix get tons of Cosmetics.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

And they actually put more effort to make good skins for her then they add 50+ leather jackets for Jeff that look the exactly same and wonder why he is not popular.

• AJStyIez
    Options

She is by far their poster child for Survivor and its not even close

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

I have seen a list and if I am not mistaken, Dwight got more Cosmetics this year than Feng.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    Options

Why does everyone care? If you don’t like it or want it, don’t buy it. Cheryl still got hers…Jill still got hers. One doesn’t take away from the other. I bought Jill’s and then also bought Feng’s cosplay of Jill. Like seriously, it’s not a big deal. And obviously despite the massive influx of Feng hatred, obviously enough people are buying her cosmetics for them to keep them coming consistently…

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

People care because they would rather see BHVR spend time creating cosmetics for characters they like but who don't have many, rather than allocating that labor to adapting every single thing possible to a character already sitting on a veritable mountain of outfits.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

While I'm not sure why Meg doesn't receive similar hate, a lot of Dwights seem very unique and cool or funny, especially compared to ones like Fengs which seem a bit more lazy.

Also for Felix, have you not seen how many people simp for that man? He could be the only survivor receiving cosmetics and everyone would love him still.

• BringShaggytoDBD
    BringShaggytoDBD Member Posts: 412
    Options

All the other survivors should get a Feng Min outfit

• AJStyIez
    edited November 2022
    Options

Feng is the #1 most picked Survivor and taking a period of time where she wasn't spoonfed the most cosmetics for once doesn't change the fact that she is the poster child for Survivor

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,496
    Options

Feng's cosplay outfits will outsell the original outfits.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

They make these cosmetics because they sell. I don't know why you're so bothered by it, nobody is forcing you to buy them.

• Jangles
    Jangles Member Posts: 377
    Options

You guys will get mad about anything ahaha

• Jangles
    Jangles Member Posts: 377
    Options
  • Laluzi
    Options

The reason Dwight and Meg have so many cosmetics is because one of the OG killers and one of the OG survivors will get a new outfit in every rift, plus more-ample-than-usual rift recolors, on top of the normal outfits released. I'm pretty sure they also have extra cosmetics in those forgotten DLCs that I think come with the console edition of the game - the charity case and the 80s suitcase? Feng wasn't there for that, IIRC.

They're overrepresented, but at least explicably so, since tons of players play them and their numbers are hella inflated - newbies start out with a very small pool of survivors to pick from, after all. (And Felix doesn't get that many outfits. Twice he showed up in recent history because he was the closest physical match to a character BHVR wanted to cosplay, with Chris and Armin, but other than that, he sees a healthy but not overflowing stream of cosmetics.)

Feng's not a default survivor. She's also 'mained' much more than Dwight or Meg, in the sense that an experienced player who's willing to shell out money because they spend so much time on the game picks her as their main survivor. Same reason Nea gets resentment despite being, if not part of the OG group, then a character everyone starts out with. She's a popular main, BHVR keeps feeding them cosmetics, and then even more people main that character because they have great swag, while other characters get overlooked in part because they have less goodies to pick from.

In this case, I don't hate it because it's taking away resources from other characters who never get anything; I roll my eyes at it because it's blatant favoritism and because it kinda cheapens the outfit the other character is getting. Feng getting a shoehorned skin in a Silent Hill collection instead of Pyramid Head is just sad.

• OTS
    OTS Member Posts: 16
    Options

It’s tied to feng’s lore that she plays games for a living and is why she has those cosplays but I can understand your point on it since it’s just ez cash for BHVR.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

Give every survivor's default outfit to Feng as "cosplay", in return, de-clothes the others

Make Feng cosplay Yui, please !

• LiveBritishReaction
    Options

I stand by the statement that the worst part about losing Stranger Things is that Nancy will never ever get a Robin legendary skin, but this is a close second.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,255
    edited November 2022
    Options

You mentioned that Feng is a "cash cow" and then complain about something that is done for the sake of profit. There is nothing wrong with this. If they were going to pick a character that has cosplay themed outfits then Feng is the best pick for it. This is a win for them and a win for Feng mains that love skins like this. I don't see what the problem is here or rather the problem you have with it. Just buy the skins you want and if you want to see more skins for other characters there is a feedback forum here you can request that in. I think they should make more cosplay themed skins for Feng because there is no downside to it and Feng is very popular.

Exactly! 👍️

• Laluzi
    Options

What about this thread was a suggestion? People can complain about stuff that you don't agree with. I'm allowed to post my opinion, and evidently it seems I'm not the only person who thinks this is trend is ridiculous and cheap.

Besides, you know just as well as I do that asking for more skins for other characters in the suggestions forum is pointless. This is absolutely a matter of revenue and I only have the voting power of one wallet. They're not going to pull resources out of the Feng lineup and allocate them to Plague or Jane because I asked nicely.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

Oops, All Fire Emblem

• KateMain86
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yea, you can criticize their decisions here and I can criticize your criticism. What do you want them to do? Spend the next 3 months making cosmetics for characters that no one will buy? This is a non issue. There is no reason to be upset about this. Feng is very popular. She's a very marketable character. Skins like this will sell and I've already seen a lot of people very happy about it. You're right. It is about revenue. What is wrong with that? They're trying to make money. They are a business after all selling entertainment. Some things they have made simply are more popular than others and are more marketable. Its just a strange thing to me to be negative about.

Its all about the numbers at the end of the day.

Yes. What's wrong with that?

• Laluzi
    Options

A strange thing to be negative about? If you can't understand why people resent BHVR's clear favorite, who gets a constant stream of content to the direct exclusion of some twenty other characters, and to the point where unrelated licensed characters can't get something nice without Feng horning in... I don't know what to tell you.

What I want is obvious. Feng has gotten 8 new skins since my main last got one. I want to see a little more balance from the cosmetic department and less of this insane one-sidedness. But it's not going to happen, so I'm just going to voice my dislike of this state of affairs. And if they won't stop churning out Feng outfits twice every quarter, I hope they at least stop doing this cosplay double-dipping, because it's a lazy tactic that cheapens both the lore and the actual cosmetic involved. Like I said earlier, it's just sad seeing a Silent Hill collection and having it be Cheryl and Feng instead of Cheryl and PH.

• KateMain86
    Options

Well if 100,000 people are going to buy a new Feng outfit and only 1000 buy a new outfit for another survivor then just from a financial perspective it makes sense to focus on the money maker. That's just an example as I don't know what the actual numbers are in cosmetic sales from character to character. I do know in my experience playing the game there clearly are certain survivors that are played way more than others such as Feng, Kate and Yui so it doesn't surprise me to see a cosmetic focus more towards characters like that than others. I know there are mains for less played characters out there, but its not going to cause them to be focused on as much as the money makers. They may get something new from time to time, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is where the money is. They have bills to pay, employees, business expenses, etc. on top of also wanting to profit from their time and work put into a project like DBD.

I have enough shards saved up just from playing the game to buy every survivor I don't currently own (which is about half the roster). I'm not going to do that because I have no interest in those survivors at all. Those are survivors I'll never spend real money on. When they release anything for characters I don't own it doesn't mean anything to me. I don't even buy all of the stuff for the survivors I do own or the ones I play the most. The cosmetic has to be for someone I play and it has to interest me before I buy it. So for customers like me, the appeal has to be specific to what I'm interested in. I imagine they look at all kinds of data to determine what could potentially produce a lot of sales. The data for Feng undoubtedly shows she's very popular and sells a lot of cosmetics for her which would explain the focus of a unique themed cosmetic line for her like the cosplay skins. You gotta look at it from a marketing perspective to understand trends like this. What we personally want doesn't matter, unless enough people want a certain thing and they respond to that interest.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

I don't really get it. I feel like, if you like Silent Hill / Resident Evil enough to want these skins, then you also probably like it enough to buy the characters they go with. Why would you also want the skins for Feng Min? And, if you don't care about Silent Hill / Resident Evil (me), why would you care about dressing Feng Min up like the characters? I don't understand who this is for, I guess.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

Bhvr ain't got no reason not to be releasing least favorited survivor cosmetics after making that Cheryl cosplay for her. At that point it's pure laziness and a thirst for money stopping them to.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 368
    Options

Like a lot of people say it just cheapens the whole outfit for Cheryl like she wasn't good enough to have the outfit on her own so Feng has to get one to make up for the sales of the former. Instead of giving a cheap magical girl cosplay to Feng they should've just given a cheap magical girl cosplay to Pyramid Head.

• akanadi
    akanadi Member Posts: 242
    Options

i mean it makes money and doesnt require much effort so decent business decision

• KateMain86
    Options

Cheryl is one of if not the most iconic character from Silent Hill. She doesn't need Feng to increase sales of this cosmetic for her. Giving Feng this cosmetic doesn't hinder the value of it to those who want it for Cheryl. Its just something extra for Feng that will appeal to Feng players who may or may not be Silent Hill fans. I think a lot of players will get Fengs Princess Heart cosplay outfit just because they like the way it looks. I hope they continue Feng's cosplay collection and expand it even further to perhaps killer cosplays too.