[Finisher Mori Devblog] FoV and Accessibility.

Options

Field of View, or FoV, is the degrees of your First-Person View cone, or how much you can see. 90 FoV is a 90 Degree cone. Since Video-games have been a thing, Motion Sickness has proven to be a significant barrier to a fairly large portion of people. Lots of people cannot play certain games due to their Graphical Style, their Speed, or...

Their Default/Unchangable FoV.

Some players, who have Motion Sickness issues, cannot play video-games that have Constantly changing, or Low and unchangeable FoVs. This poses a really big issue for Dead by Daylight, as it is one of the only First-Person games that i know of (on Killer side) that does not Provide an FoV slider.

The only way players have to increase their FoV to a point where they dont get motion sick are the perks Shadowborn and Monitor & Abuse. Monitor having the issue of constantly-changing FoVs causing problems for people who get motion sick from such things, and Shadowborn taking up a perk slot, so that if a Player REQUIRES it's use, they are short of a perk.

It shouldn't take too much thought to realize that this is an issue. Players being unable to play a game without the use of an in-game perk should NOT be a thing. I'm sure BHVR is very opposed to accessibility issues as well, as (even though it took a while), they implemented Color Blind settings for those with that issue.

What disheartens me the most about the recent devblog post is that they don't seem to realize this is an issue, and that an FoV slider could provide relief to this problem. They've made what should be a setting into both perks, and a mechanic, and I don't believe this is good for the long-term health of the game.

I know that Reworking/Removing how FoV functions relative to perks and Blind Angles would be hard, but I think that letting players access the game without having to worry about getting motion sick is more important. Players being unable to play the game has been a big issue for DbD, as those who are Deaf don't have a visual terror-radius indicator outside of the perk Spine-Chill, and the whole issue with motion sickness and FoV that I've been writing about for half an hour.

It's important to recognize that the implementation of an FoV slider for Killer is of upmost importance for the accessibility of this game that's beloved by many. Hell, I've had many ideas on how to Change/Rework the perks associated with FoV in this game, and would gladly see those ideas taken so that FoV finally becomes what it needs to be:

A Setting, not a Mechanic.

Comments