Boil Over is the worst

Options

I'm sick of picking up survivors and seeing the boil over icon when there are barely any nearby hooks. Sometimes, other survivors will be trying to save the carried survivor, too so I just end up dropping them like 60% of the time because I rarely can make it in time. And when there is a nearby hook, there's always obstacles in the way. I'll see a shortcut through them but then boil over usually forces me around it. Please get rid of the boil over buff, it's the worst.

I had a match as the Onryo where I had to down the same survivor like 5 times before I could put her on death hook because she had boil over and every hook was always too far away.

Comments

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306
    Options

No, it's pretty bad in either ways, I'm usually happy when I see it as killer, it usually means the survivors is not using a super meta build or anything like that.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

It was my most hated perk even before the buff. I'd rather deal with ds than boil over.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

It’s just a poorly designed perk that doesn’t actually offer any kind of interesting gameplay and promotes boring strategies

• Buffy101
    Buffy101 Member Posts: 126
    Options

I know it does suck, I had a Rebecca the other day who kept going to the same spot because I kept trying to bring her to hook and I was so determined. They go to a high place you have to drop from to get that boost and some have been pairing it with Flip flop. I bring Iron Grasp every match now because its very annoying

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,896
    Options

its because slugging not balanced in dbd. the counter-play boil over is suppose to be slugging but leaving survivors on the floor is punishing for the killer because of how improbable you are to die on the floor in normal gameplay.

As a result, boil over is either godlike or completely ineffective because its balance relies on how effective or ineffective slugging(leaving on the floor) is. Decisive strike has same symptoms of same problem.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

I use boil over a lot and it doesn't really work for me very often,hardly ever struggle out. As killer it only gives me issues against well co ordinated SWFs. Or occasionally on indoor maps like midwich, meat plant and lery's.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

it's annoying but it doesn't really do anything and has extremely easy and simple counterplay.

• Bloodraven
    Bloodraven Member Posts: 55
    Options

Honestly nothing more fun than having the survivor carry themselves to the hook 🤣

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763
    Options

It can be annoying if there's no hook in range to "surf" the survivor's wiggle towards.

I do get a kick out of it when I'm doing a "Hook X Survivors in the Basement" tome entry and running Iron Grasp and Agitation. Pick up someone running Boil Over and power walk to a hook like it's nothing, with them spam grunting the whole time.

• hex_uwu
    hex_uwu Member Posts: 201
    Options

You've also got to remember that boil over removes hook auras within a certain radius, so that might be why all the hooks seem far away.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

one of the most useless survivor perks.

• Scream_Queen865
    Scream_Queen865 Member Posts: 109
    Options

I use Boil Over and Breakdown... majority of time they only get 1 hook off me. Useless? Absolutely not..my 2 fav perks!

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,728
    Options

Controller is the real reason why this perk needs to be reworked. As others have mentioned, on mouse and keyboard it has ways to counterbalance its effect fairly consistently, but on controller you're pretty much SoL. There are actually quite a few controller specific issues on killer side especially (and a handful for survivors as well,) just due to the nature of the control scheme. I feel its very important to consider both control schemes when looking at its impact.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 563
    Options

Yeah the difference between the 2 platforms is massive. Been playing on PC for a few weeks and playing back on my Xbox now and boil over feels very different and not in a good way. The wiggle not only feels significantly greater, but it actually can stop you moving completely which is something I never encountered in PC.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at how little consideration is given to console players considering they probably make up a large portion of the playerbase.

It's about time that keyboard and mouse support is given like every other cross platform game that is groups with PC. That's literally zero excuse not to have it implemented.

• Random_NPC
    Random_NPC Member Posts: 83
    Options

Man, the amount of ######### I got away with running Boil Over, Tenacity, Unbreakable and Flip Flop is crazy.

• Haven414
    Haven414 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Well said, you should just put everything you said as it's own discussion

• Ryuhi
    Options

The devs are aware that many of those things have disproportionate issues on controller vs mouse and keyboard thankfully, so no point beating a drum over it. I'm just hoping they follow through with making the gap between control methods less blatant and having it be narrow enough to be personal preference.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234
    Options
  • JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,402
    Options

Dealing with Boil Over on my Xbox1 controller is a nightmare. It's so easy to bump into objects and get stopped cold in doorways.

Saldy they've said many times they have no plans to add M&K support to the consoles.

And yeah altogether the consoles are by far the largest part of the playerbase. Yet the vast majority of killers are on PC; I wonder why???

• Ryuhi
    Options

To be fair, playing killer on controller isn't overall terrible. It has some pretty glaring problems, but they can all be isolated. Things like boil over's impact (and its lack of counterbalance availability,) aiming with ranged killers (especially trickster,) aim dressing having a disproportionate impact, and some advanced techniques with certain killers powers being near impossible is quite a laundry list of issues, but your average game with any m1 killer tends to play out very similar to how it does with mouse and keyboard. The problem lies in how much of an impact those issues do have when they happen, which makes the killers that can't avoid them feel horrible to play by comparison. I would argue that things like lightening/removing/having an option to remove aim dressing can be just as helpful as something like fixing trickster's aim jitter or boil over.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 563
    Options

Even M1 is quite different I think. It's very easy to juke a killer with FOV movements on console. Im not really sure why it's so different, but on PC I rarely lose track of the survivor, but on console I lose the survivor a lot when they FOV tech.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,490
    Options

The increased wiggle is the most annoying part, as if the killer needed more of that. You literally can't get through doorways sometimes because it pushes you so hard from where you're wanting your character to go.

• youshisu
    youshisu Member Posts: 84
    Options

boil over saved me once for about 50-100 uses so no big deal...

few times with surivovrs blocking.

this perk is more depression then fun xd

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,402
    Options

It's from a combination of the slightly slower camera turning, dead zones and input lag inherent with the controller, and fps issues on console.

• Darkest_Night
    Darkest_Night Member Posts: 146
    Options

Best 2ay to handle it is to run mad grit

• BougieBlackChick
    BougieBlackChick Member Posts: 316
    Options

I run boil over and honestly it doesn’t work for me unless I have a map where I can use the layout or buildings to help. As someone else said using that drop down to get the extra wiggle is the only way it works for me.

Otherwise it never works because hooks are too close together. The only way Boil Over works for me regularly is if I play swf because I have friends who will try to body block or hook sabo to buy time for me. That doesn’t happen in solo Q ever.