What's your favorite niche/non-meta/obscure perk?

Options

Title

For survivor, mine are For the People, especially when paired with WGLF. Very solid perk for some funny savior plays, also really solid to prevent someone from being tunneled out too early by giving them an extra health state, forcing the killer to switch aggro. I also really like Deception, gets some mad value if you use it super conspicuously. A lot of killers will assume Head On and will waste 10+ seconds messing with a locker before realizing you're not in there.

For killer, I really like Oppression. The skill checks are never expected, and the regression does wonders to keep gens on the other side of the map in check without having to go there as a low mobility killer. Also am a huge fan of Trail of Torment, especially when combined with a Blindness build, Undetectable on demand is huge on a lot of killers.

Comments

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,239
    Options

For survivor, Pharmacy.

I love this perk. People say it got nerfed with the change it received, but I really don't agree. I get 2 medkits quite often, maybe even 3. The games where all of the chests are pre-opened before I can grab one are, to be quite honest, exceedingly rare, as in there's only one or two I can think of since the update. Just save me a chest if you're going to try this one out, lol.

For killer, Agitation.

You usually see this one paired with Scourge Hooks to make reaching them a little easier, but while this is a pretty good strength of the perk, Agitation is an amazing perk by itself. You don't realise how long it takes to hook a survivor until you start running Agitation. It heavily reduces downtime from carrying, gives you a wider range of hooks to choose from strategically, and could even let you get a cheeky hit or two in on a survivor who thinks they're safe while you're carrying someone.

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413
    Options

For killer it would be - Hex: Devour Hope

I love this perk, it makes the game more interesting because you actively have to run away from the hook before someone saves them. The power you get from doing this is fairly balanced too since you're actively avoiding punishing rescues. I would love to see more perks like this that give powerful bonuses for being a certain distance away from the hook when a survivor is rescued.

I've had groups where they find the totem and destroy it within 30 seconds (which kinda sucks and makes the perk less desirable). And I've had groups who find it and leave it there because of how the game plays with it on. It's not overpowering when left on, but it is a bit too easy to lose it. And besides the groups that destroy it in 30 seconds, I've yet to meet someone who hasn't had a good game when Devour Hope is used to the fullest. Even playing as a survivor against it is fun, since you know you need to get more careful as the killer gets more hooks.

Right now, unfortunately, the game is designed so killers have to get rid of survivors as fast as possible or they'll lose. Perks like Devour Hope encourage patience for the build up, and both sides have a chance to win still. So like I said before I'd love to see more perks like Devour Hope that give powerful effects for being a certain distance away from a hooked survivor when they're rescued.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    Options

Empathic Connection. Growing to like Reactive Healing. Nice with Resurgence and hook trades getting 75% heal progress off the hook. The only downside is Sloppy hard counters it.

I like using either Dark Devotion. Also a fan of Trail of Torment as well. I think people may think the yellow gen is a Wiretap and may not suspect that it was me kicking it.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096
    Options

For survivor, it's Leader. The number of moments that I have had where survivors healing me, healing each other, cleansing a totem nearby, or opening gates in the nick of time has helped has been innumerable for me. Plus it pairs nicely in my support build of Better Than New, Leader, Prove Thyself, and Vigil.

For killer, it's Agitation. I like the feeling of moving faster towards hooks while carrying survivors, and it has helped me in many body blocking situations or maps with bad hook spawns. It also pairs nicely with STBFL in body blocking situations.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

Survivor : Dance With Me, and currently Bite The Bullet is really growing on me.

Killer : Spies From The Shadows, and in very niche cases, Mad Grit.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

Kindred Apparently

• entertainment720
    entertainment720 Member Posts: 246
    Options

spies from the shadows is funny to run. people don't usually expect it.

any means necessary doesn't get a lot of use in my games, but when it does, it can lead to some epic teamwork saves!

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

Survivor:

For the People - This perk is crazy good, but... I'm a solo Q survivor, people in solo Q tend to afk when downed so they don't react to being picked up. In SWF it gave me so many godly plays, but sadly i don't have friends anymore to play it. Maybe one day.

Vigil - It's such an underrated perk, especially when combined with exhaustion perk you can accidentally waste like Balanced Landing or Sprint Burst.

Killer:

Fire Up - With how stupidly fast the gen speed is now, this perk is incredibly powerful + doubles as an anti-flashlight perk. Definitely one of my favorites and NO ONE ever expects it. When survivors see it's effects, they think of Brutal Strength, but then they are unable to get a flashlight save, no matter how hard they try. But it's not a lightborn, so they know the blind is possible, and they will continue to blind helplessly, just to leave disappointed.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,946
    Options

For survivors it's Blast Mine. I noticed that there seem to be quite some Blast Mine enthusiasts, so I don't think its that niche, but its definitely not meta by any means. I just love that perk and ran it a while together with Red Hering and Quick n quite. I had a few situations were the killer chased me off a gen, then lost me when I jumped into a locker and then got even more confused when the 75% gen gave off a notification. "No one's here? Sad. Oh well, let's kick it" Boom. In the best situation (that only happens once in a blue moon) they might stroll by my locker and get hit by a Head On. You really see their fighting spirit leaving their body.

As Killers it's Awakened Awareness. When hauling a survivor towards a hook you see so many others hiding nearby ìn bushes, behind walls or just around the corner. It's fun to pretend not seeing them and then BAAAM! Bonus points for playing Pyramid Head and hitting them out of nowhere with a POTD.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,946
    Options

Spies is so slept on and I have absolutely no idea why people ridicule and badmouth this perk. I have never equipped Spies with getting massive value out of it.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 538
    Options

That genuinely made me laugh out loud it's amazing how many solo players don't use it (as well as how many use it purely to heal each other & still leave me to die when I do!)

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,202
    Options

Survivor: Alert saved my backside on more than one occasion.

Killer: Insidious, nobody seem to expect it (unless Bubba).

• Rareware0192
    Rareware0192 Member Posts: 360
    edited November 2022
    Options

Good ol’ Whispers. I pretty much never see anybody use it ever (at least not anymore) and I still think it’s a solid perk that could be used throughout the game 24/7. It works for you whether it’s active or not, and can also completely eliminate endgame 1v1 exit gate scenarios.

And for survivor, 100% Kindred. I use it on every single one of my survivors and hope that one day they just make it basekit (at the very least, the survivor aura reading portion of it).

• LiveBritishReaction
    Options

Solidarity. Much better for saving time than people give it credit for, and it’s always funny seeing my solo queue teammates trying to heal me not realizing I’ve magically become healthy while healing them.

• Hex_iButt
    Hex_iButt Member Posts: 233
    Options

Lately it's been Clairvoyance for me on survivor. Along with better chances at securing hatch at the end, its just generally nice to use mid game to find gens or chests in downtime.

Killer, I think Distressing. I've snuck up on a fair share of survivors just crouch walking in the open unsure of where I'll pop up.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949
    Options

For Survivor, Object of Obsession and Reactive Healing.

Free wallhacks since I'm usually the Obsession without any obsession based perks and Reactive Healing saves healing time but I do have to force it a bit.

Killer, Surveillance on Spirit. I will always have gen information and it allows me to make more informed decisions.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

Blood Warden all the way

• Haven414
    Haven414 Member Posts: 97
    Options

I'd have to say Furtive Chase. I think it's a very underrated perk. While it sometimes doesn't help much, it adds a ton of fun to the match. The token part of it doesn't help much and I could care less about that but if you pair it up with other obsession perks, it makes the match a lot more complicated (in a good way), plus it helps you practice keeping track of which survivor is which. But it's just really fun to mix up who's the obsession and when, even if it makes it more difficult. So I guess you can say it's more of an rng based perk, but it's really just good to use for fun.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 946
    Options

Alert is extremely underrated. I also love using Bond + Open Handed, but sometimes I run Aftercare for the same reason.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    Options

no mither. i like to run it with resilience

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

Survivor - Alert, Detective's Hunch

Killer - Lethal Pursuer, Hysteria

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    Options

Desperate Measures & Forced Penance

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,197
    Options

Survivor: Distortion, it's SUCH a good perk, especially after its rework. I love it so much and use it chronically now xD

Killer: Snitch-crows! Forget about Whispers/I'm All Ears/Stridor, Spies from the Shadows works so well at every point in the game!

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

For survivor: iron will. I run it alongside quick and quiet and it's amazing how often you can escape chase into lockers after a pallet stun. It's just generally useful too because as killer I verrry often catch out survivors because I hear their grunts of pain.

For killer: hex retribution. I loove running it on my deathslinger hex meme build. Haunted ground, devour hope and either third seal or ruin. It's obvs a pretty naff perk on it's own, but it's good for punishing survs for removing your hexes. And if you getvlucky and get haunted ground and retirbution on the same trigger? Chef's kiss. Nothing like 2 easy one hit downs in quick succession.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Spies is so good. I've heard some people say it's bad and I'm like what? It's an amazing perk

And makes it almost impossible to properly shake the killer if you are unaware of it.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

Killer: Whispers- I use it all the time (if I had it on every Killer)

Survivor: Kindred- it's useful for me (and the team)... but that's borderline popular so how about Leader- Faster heals and unhooks if I'm close by or the one getting Healed or Unhooked

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495
    Options

Killer: Iron Grasp. The amount of times people will start body blocking and stuff and I have the freedom to take a swing or two because I know they won't get down is really fun.

Survivor: Vigil. I'm telling you what, pair that with two exhaustion perks and you will have the Killer confused. XD

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422
    Options

Survivor- I love doing Power Struggle or Head on builds. Unfortunately they both require more than one perk

Killer- Mad Grit is fun but I also love Nemesis/Rancor combo

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,197
    Options
  • bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368
    Options

Autodidact - It's most often mildly useful at best and painful in some matches. But then there's the rare match where you get those 5 tokens before end game it's just so much fun. It's probably not worth all the other matches where it does next to nothing or ends up being a detriment, but I still run it on occasion. Less so with CoH usage overall.