do you think the dbd lore is actually going anywhere?

Options
the_dempsy99
the_dempsy99 Member Posts: 34

if you read the 4 first survivors it looks like they wanted to make the entity be in the woods then changed it later on

do you think the dbd lore is actually going anywhere? 47 votes

yes
10%
LapisInfernalisNoOneKnowsNovaAlex_SmoePatg88 5 votes
its getting there slowly
29%
AetherBytesGlamourousLeviathanRobotfangirl67ElcopolloGuiltiiAcelynnBenBothSidesEnjoyerCybilDddtpTerionSlanKotelettphantomCassiopeiaeJungles23 14 votes
no they are just making stuff up as they go
59%
GibberishBlueberryluvcraftmusstang62TaigaUistreelMooksThe_Grim_Reaper99DonleovPega6Marc_go_soloQwQwKateMain86Hex_iButtGazgemauchAurelle[Deleted User]xni6_ChikyFridayNightPizza 28 votes

Comments

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

It feels like they're just making up stuff as they go, considering they retconned a lot of the characters stories (Nurse, Hag, etc.).

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,961
    Options

If getting more convoluted and nonsensical by the chapter counts as going somewhere, then sure, it's going somewhere.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,481
    Options

looks like they wanted to make the entity be in the woods then changed it later on

not sure if you are serious here, but I don’t think it was ever the idea that the Entity was literally only in some woods preying on victims?

otherwise yeah, they are just making up stuff and contradict themselves quite often, not only with specific characters backstory’s but also the whole memory erasure stuff and.. everything.

adding in multiverse didn’t really help but I guess it can be used to explain everything they want

• the_dempsy99
    the_dempsy99 Member Posts: 34
    Options

idk man

meg getting lost in the woods

same with claudette

dwight also getting lost in the woods

jake too and kate

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 763
    Options
    its getting there slowly

While I can only speculate on whether BHVR actually has some adequate plotline to complete in mind, I do feel like there's place for conveying a coherent overarching story with Entity either winning and ultimately feeding on the entire multiverse, or getting outsmarted by her playthings (survivors and killers). And latter option would lead into either survivors and killers (some of them at least) escaping the Realm or actually killing Entity in some crazy way.

The sheer concept Dead by Daylight's world has is full of potential and it would be a waste to keep it in the same place forever. Maybe BHVR has plans on giving us that "conclusion storyline" through some separate kind of media (books, movies, TV series, etc.) in the future, while keeping Tome lore as their "playground" with bits and pieces of story-ideas they'd like to share with us. Or maybe the "finale" will roll out in final Tome, if they ever feel like closing off that part of the game (and creating DbD 2 lol).

Dunno. Truly. But yes, I do think that unlike many other games of this nature - DbD's lore has something special to it and can be turned into something truly amazing. And I do think that BHVR knows that and has intention of progressing lore further.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 763
    Options
    its getting there slowly

Hm. I wouldn't really call it a "retcon", though. Those aren't necessarily the same characters per se. Remember, BHVR made it crystal clear long ago that DbD's world has the multiverse. Some of the first Tomes mention Observer seeing different variations of Claudette in the Trials and visiting Terra, where Dwight is actually a king or emperor of some sorts. The concept of same characters having different variations is also pretty straightforwardly shown in Haddie's pre-release Tome lore (where it is blatantly told she and her brother have different names and lifepaths in different Terras) and trailer for Nurse's and Yui's Tome (where buff killer Yui kills old lady Yui, throwing her in the pit of numerous other dead Yuis). So yeah.

While it sure can be confusing for some readers - there's literally no reason to why bio Nurse and Hag (and other characters whose lore differs) can't co-exist in the same Entity's Realm with their Tome versions.

• Slan
    Slan Member Posts: 286
    Options
    its getting there slowly

There are several storylines that advance quite slowly, such as Otto Stamper and the Black Vale. But most of the lore is indeed isolated from the rest of the story.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

There's big problems with consistency in the writing, some of it is likely due to language translation issues but also some of it is likely due to different people writing different things

The quality, grammar and so on of some lore is really bad and others not bad.

Honestly I enjoy a lot of the random lore in the archives then the main tome lores, like there was one entry that had some people describing seeing Oni brutally kill somebody in their world before disappearing. Something like that

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 636
    Options

I didn't even know there was a lore xD

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    Options

Judging by the tome lore, I'm convinced there are two writers working for Behavior. One who is trying their hardest to create complex and interesting stories with the lore they're handed, and other being some random guy they hired off the street who has no idea what he's doing.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

I'm not a fan of the whole cult thing, honestly. And some other bits confuse me, such as this Entity has swallowed worlds, yet seems awfully picky about what it wants. It's a bit messy, and in some cases like the Nurse it's outright non-sensicle.

• Donleov
    Donleov Member Posts: 117
    Options

It cant go anywhere, the only conclusion the story could have would be to everyone escape, and that would mean the end of the game.