Do you guys still think dbd is as enjoyable as 2017? 2019? 2021?

Options
FlameGNG
FlameGNG Member Posts: 746
edited November 2022 in General Discussions

So i've played dbd since 2017 and ive taken a little break every now and then (after legion got released for obvious reasons :p) and now. I dont enjoy the game anymore killers have been so hard buffed that every match is a loss if you play soloQ. Teammates run the killer for 10 max 20 sec and DC or just suicides on hook its unplayable unless ur a 3 or 4 man swf or sometimes on rare occasions when you do get decent teammates. Almost half my matches are DCs or suicides on first hook. + There are also a sh*t ton of camping and tunneling like before but whatever :P

Do you guys find the game more enjoyable now or did you like it more a few years earlier? (both killer and survivor)

Comments

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I have no idea cause I started playing after the chapter that buffed killers hit.

From my pov it seems solo's had more agency as an individual, since their chasing power was bigger compared to now and the devs want the game to go more towards teamplay and co-ordination which is inherently disempowering to solo.

I'm gonna repeat myself again, when i joined I was surprised (negatively) at how primitive the communication between solo survivors is, simply unacceptable.

DC are very annoying indeed and disproportionately affect solo survivor but I am not sure BHVR wishes to address them yet.

As for tunneling and camping, this game has been around for quite some time. People on average get better, so killers have learned those tactics. I dunno if you've been a consistent player all along or sunk more hours say a few years ago, but in that case it's only natural you feel alienated as probably the killer base might have been worse back in the day. But these days there are so many youtubers giving advice to killers and the skill floor has been lowered recently. Plus it is just a more intuitive role and many killers have built in slowdown in their kit.

• Terion
    Terion Member Posts: 810
    Options

Totally!

Side note: i started april 2022, but i think its even more enjoyable nowdays, according to some very old content from dbd i have seen on my favorite youtubers channels

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456
    Options

I'm definetly having way more fun now than before, and i started at around Doctor's release.

The game is far from perfect tho, still has a couple of very annoying issues but more than half of this game problems comes from the community rather than the game itself.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Yes, despite the amount of dcs/suicides.

Game is a bit more balanced than before 6.1.0

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

Absolutely.

If I went back in time to play matches during those periods, i'd remember pretty damn quick how horribly balanced it was.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

I started playing in 2021. I watched as survivor's got DH buffed to god status and CoH added to the game when I was still new. The game got way more irritating after those two things happened. People don't realize the fact that 53% kill rate over all wasn't fair once you factor in that solo's still had no communication and killer was still a free win for bad/new players. That's just how strong the meta for survivor's were before the changes. Once they add that solo queue information change and tweak mmr some more for survivor's. This game will be in a really really good spot after those changes eventually happen. Although right now I am bored of dbd, I am playing ow2 for the most part. For the past month I'll get the urge to play blight, come back, play one game and realize even though I want to play blight, I don't want to play dbd right now and get off.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

I keep seeing comments about solo q being terrible, but hasn’t it always been terrible? I can’t remember a time in the history of this game when you could count on consistently good teammates in solo q. From what I’ve experienced, this has always been a problem and will always be a problem. It doesn’t help that BHVR continues to drag their feet on buffing solo q with simple changes to add information to let teammates know what you’re doing. They could have done this years ago but have refused to prioritize it.

• Cybil
    Cybil Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

It's a lot better

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188
    edited November 2022
    Options

i never played in 2017, i started in 2018. back then the game was more unbalanced than today, plenty more with infinite recharching while running, balance landing abuse, self care healing way too fast specially with botany, loops were much unfairer and god windows flooding the game, vacuum pallets denying hits so easily aswell survivors were harder to catch if they were decent at the game, besides the other big problem was the possibility to combine multiple exhaustion perks like balance and sprint or with dead hard to be way stronger aswell at loops and have multiple options, it was easy to create infinites back then now the tiles are less boosted... the game is in much better state now even when a lot of the fun was removed.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 535
    Options
  • Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

I play it less than before, but that's mostly because I've been starting to play: Skyrim, Disco Elysium, and Control.

Yet that's not been because I've enjoyed DBD any less. In fact, for me it's been the most balanced and enjoyable it has ever been, with maybe a glory moment around the "Cursed Legacy" era.

What's not going well isn't the dev's fault, moreso players who come in just to BM, dc or basically try their best to get clips to show off to others. The devs will always be fighting fires as issues will always arise, but they've been doing a good job recently.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 401
    Options

No...I'm playing the least amount per week ever. I basically only log on when friends feel like playing, or FOMO makes me complete a rift. Even FOMO isn't really driving much playtime these days.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857
    edited November 2022
    Options

i dont play as much not because i think the game is any less fun than back then, but i play less because there are other games that actually have more positive gameplay loop thats healthier for my mental health.

dbd now on paper is a lot of ways is a bit better, by a good margin. especially when it comes to killer balance/bugs. the 17-19 eras was nutorious for giving us killers like og legion, old spirit, clown, original bubba, unrelenting pig nerfs.

only time i think when dbd was in its worse state compared to its other years was the '20-'21 era of releases, deadhard verification, blight, twins and trickster, all were back to back absolute buggy mess and it introduced rpd which wasnt even playable for like the first few months.. morale was so low during this period.

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,527
    Options

LMAO killer hard buffed? are you playing another game perhaps? please, they received a couple of minor buffs, but the maps, items, addons and perks as basekit for survivor says all...

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

Solo queue was bad because of player skill difference. There wasn't objective mechanical pressure holding people back. Now though its not the case. Instead its mechanical pressure screwing them over instead of themselves, and sometimes both at the same time. Buffing solo queue to match the same power of SWF doesn't stop SWF from being buffed based on what they decide to buff. And then you end up in the situations we have now where killer has to get put up another peg to make up for the garbage they just gave solo queue to meet the standards of SWF INSTEAD OF JUST DROPPING SWF into the sideline pool and its own universe.

• rysm
    rysm Member Posts: 215
    edited November 2022
    Options

Enjoyable? Yes. But if i'm considering scary? No.

I started playing a few years ago and a few of my first experiences will always remind me of how it was. Most notably on the Coldwind map. That used to be a dark, eerie, creepy place. Now it's bright and all sorts. I do like the new map design, but it doesn't give me the creepy vibes that scared me a few years ago when i started playing the game. I miss it.

Being scary and creepy was one of the major things that made me REALLY enjoy the game.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    Options

Yes but only if you take periodic breaks. Unless you're a super-fan til death, making DBD the main game you play 2022 and beyond while never putting it on vacation will result in burnout, being annoyed by things that you would otherwise shrug off or just a lack of dopamine when you have too many of the moments that got you hooked in the first place.

The game is way more saturated now compared to that era and people have been around the community for years. They're much more likely to lose their patience faster and recognize flaws that they used to ignore

• ArthurVeloso
    ArthurVeloso Member Posts: 212
    Options

No, I stopped playing this game regularly because I know that if I play survivor in solo queue, I will have to die 4 to 6 matches before getting an escape. Even though I am pretty decent with chases, I can run the killer forever, and sometimes I get camped or tunneled out of the hook. Anyway, I miss the old DS, that made killers scared to even think about tunneling. Now, it is more rewarding than punishing. BHVR, DO SOMETHING!!!

• ArthurVeloso
    ArthurVeloso Member Posts: 212
    Options

No. But the developers don't care, unless it affects their pockets. So, nothing will change until killers get bored of try harding against solos, and solo queue survivors quitting the game.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options

For me it’s not as enjoyable as 2018/2019. The Meta shift made a lot of unpopular yet decent perks like Pharmacy & Dark Sense very bad. I had two entire builds created around those perks in mind, and now the builds are bad as well or not as good, respectively. MMR is terrible and keeps giving me inexperienced/bad teammates to go against much more experienced and very good killers. What the actual hell??

• FlameGNG
    FlameGNG Member Posts: 746
    Options

So you don't think the dh nerf was a huge buff? Less cooldown on a, hit less sprint duration longer gens? Do you think that's a survivor buff? I mean they've removed infinites, omega nurse and that yes but it was still a huge buff for killers compared to before... hahaha if you would have played in 2016 2017 you would have died... Survivors could heal themselves with selfcare after 2 pallets because "we will make it" worked on yourself, there were no window blocks, you could infinite loop with balanced landing, shack used to have 2 windows and it was IMPOSSIBLE to catch someone looping shack back then (obv tons of people didnt know how to use it properly but yea)...

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

I started DBD Jan 2019 and while I think a lot has improved, I still miss a lot about those times as well. For me a big part is the increase in really unfun killers like Trickster, Pinhead or Twins (the latter I rarely see thankfully), plus back then tunnelling off hook and camping were still pretty universally viewed as shameful and you would be a social pariah in the local DBD community to be shunned.

But they have made a lot of QOL improvements and the game looks a lot better now... so there is that. Plus I do acknowledge I could be painting the past with rose coloured glasses and if I actually played 2019 DBD now I may find it unbearably bad

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

For me it was always both frustrating and fun.

But games being 500% sweatier now compared to years ago makes me feel like taking longer breaks.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,193
    edited November 2022
    Options

Depends, as SoloQ? Absolutely not. As killer? Yes, a lot more...usually xD

I'll give you an example of a chill match I had yesterday, no crazy perks, and mind you I only proxy-camped a hooked survivor when all gens were popped because I was doing my "mark 4 survs archive", and this is how it went in EGC 💀

My whole hook is a shrine to GF & Dwight, so I just wanted Dwight in the end :( I guess my 2 perks and me proxy camping, in the end, was enough to get cussed at in a diff language? lmao. Before the 6.1 update games as killer were just... stress :") Now less so

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

The latest version of dbd always seems the best to me with a few notable exceptions

Imo they've only improved the game

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,527
    edited November 2022
    Options

So because the game before was utterly UNPLAYABLE (at those times it was understandable since it was supposed to be an unfinished game, still a beta) you think that now is fair/funny? I don't know about you, but in my last matches that i did before quitting this game were with people with auto dead hard (this perk was nerfed only if you are aganist a legion or slinger, otherwise it's even stronger than before), NO, THEY DIDN'T, THEY PRETENDED to have fixed infinites, when in reality it could be even worse than before (badham for example: they "removed" the infinite in the school by putting a breakable door, a pity that in the meantime they also added another couple of god pallets inside the building, not to mention that if the basement won't spawn there you are literally forced to open again said infinite in order to reach a hook). Regarding heals they aren't broken like in the beginning (because the game was new and unfinished as i said before), but they are still busted, especially since when they added boon totems into the game (hit and run tactics aren't viable anymore). Add other perks that will grant you more speed to do gens and the rework that they did to gens (only 10 miserable seconds) is only a fake QoL change (gens are actually FASTER than before). The situation started to be grim when they gutted ruin for the 1st time and later they gutted pop goes of the weasel (i still don't get why they changed ruin: old ruin was made on purpose for killers that needed to set up their power before start chasing someone, like trapper and hag. They changed it with something that didn't make sense at all for those killers since their gameplay is based around setting up traps in a certain part of the map, since you don't have the time to put traps everywhere)

• Persephone_
    Persephone_ Member Posts: 157
    Options

I started in 2020 and low end solo queue was always bad.

The only difference was that I had a better shot at staying out of the low-end a d getting a competent team if I made sure I stayed in purple ranks every month. And the killers usually also knew what they were doing in those ranks. I also never got paired with people that have less than 5 hours in the game. Solo queue matches were a lot closer then. Now I have no control over this, we usually get stomped or we faced a perkless trapper that just picked up the game.

Weirdly enough my killer experience hasn't changed much. Personally I improved, of course and the survivors I face now are often competent too. The Dead Hard change was nice but it's still a meta perk. I feel people have adjusted for everything else now (chase buffs to killer, gen speeds).

• AlwaysSalty
    AlwaysSalty Member Posts: 18
    Options

No. I stopped playing as much to be honest. I use to log in to play a few games once in a while throughout the week, but since the killer update and the dirty playstyle of camping at 4 and tunneling at 4 gens became a norm that I just stopped playing for a while. It really isn't fun, and I am sure it is the same for the other side if ur against a full swf. I played majority solo at one point and switched to a partial and full swf and we popped all gens within that 6-8 minute mark (toolbox and BNP). It was not fun after my group did it for a while, so we stopped playing and moved onto other games. I do get on to try out solo or play with a friend once in a while, but it still is sweaty like usual. I liked the casual playstyle before the killer update. Just get on, and do a few games then log off without being stressed ( good old days ).

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options

No, I feel like I had more fun back in 2019-2020. I can only play a few matches and then get bored.

• GlitchyGamer
    GlitchyGamer Member Posts: 39
    Options

Nope. The game is absoultely miserable as a survivor now. There's starting to be a shortage of volunteers for surv side now and it's so clear why. It's the losing side.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2022
    Options

That depends there are some things that were better in old version of the game and things that are better now.. i play not more than 2 or 3 hours a day though if there are no events i only play 1 to 3 times a week only. There are many things that needs to get changed, soloq is in a terrible state because of DCs, bad MMR and camp/tunnels in early game.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

The game balance and gameplay wise is MUCH better than it was before. It's just that people have been playing the game for straight years now so people are just getting bored.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

Played it since its release and its definitely in one of the best spots it could be in. Though I dont agree with the SBMM system at all as it's done so badly...

The one thing that has gotten worse is entitlement, I dunno why but more and more people just give up for any reason they want and its getting really annoying... it's like toxicity went down while entitlement went up.

I'm just sick of my team giving up because its X killer, X map, X perks, got outplayed etc. when in reality theres not much wrong balance wise just the SBMM sucks at calculating skill

• SomeGuy7000
    SomeGuy7000 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Not really, I'd been playing since the open beta back in 2016 and my enjoyment has been disappearing for a while now. I think it started with death slinger then pyramid head's introduction but the first big decline for me was around the time of MMR and Pinhead. MMR really killed my enjoyment and drive to play killer. MMR made the games where I would play my main killers extremely sweaty while it also didn't make the games where I would play a new killer any easier than before. I also normally play solo survivor and when pinhead came out every game would just be a stomp. At this point, I'm almost exclusively playing solo survivor and for a year or so the game just feels like it got much sweatier and more serious. Things like camping and tunneling grew, and new mechanics like scourge hooks and boon totems were added, (I think these were some of the worse additions to the game), but then the 6.1.0 patch came out. Once that came out it felt like the little wiggle room I had as a solo survivor was gone. Before I was able to use more variety of perks and perk combos but now they don't work together or they just aren't worth it. Then between games where it's multiple slowdown perks, tunneling, and people dc'ing it just gets exhausting and stops being fun. I think I just miss when the game was more casual.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

No.

The game gets stale after a while, as they never really mixed up the very linear gameplay in any meaningful way. Sorry, but I can only be asked to do the exact same thing for so long.

Plus they have been hard at work to butcher any Killer I found enjoyable to play, so I stopped playing alltogether.

I was hyped for Wesker, but never played him due to them butchering every character I got invested in prior to him, so I have no faith that they won't do the exact same to him.

• JustWhimsical
    JustWhimsical Member Posts: 590
    edited November 2022
    Options

It's way better than it used to be. For me, like playing back when ps4 had literally zero optimization, it was stuttery, the sensitivity was too low on all killers, and it crashed often, people will look back and be like, wow, it was such a great time and say I wish we could go back to before.

Honestly, old dbd was awful, at least for console players. I mean, to name something my main Nurse herself had so many bugs in her code that were really awful on top of everything, and it was only a recent bugfix that made her actually more playable.

Sure, games are a lot more difficult as it feels like everyone brings in the best things now, but at least it wasn't the buggy, unbalanced mess it was before; I rather play today's dbd with all the new killers and optimizations than old dbd even though today's dbd does need some new quality of life.

The game needs something that benefits both sides on the topic of camping/tunneling to make the game more enjoyable for both sides. Then some balancing to make weaker killers better, like trapper as an example, and much-needed reworks for twins to make them more fun to play.

Solo Q buffs that don't make bully squads stronger, preferably, and just make it so tunneling isn't the most optimal thing to do. Making generators not so disproportionally on one hand nearly impossible to do with so many gen regression perks and on the other hand not so easy to do when you don't have gen defense.

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 623
    Options

This game is enjoyable until you complete your first month in the game, when terror vibe, fear, anxiety, switch to angry, competition, same playstyles, trash games for soloQ. in these days, im surpresed while anyone says DBD is a horror game, really?

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

No. After over 4 years the game is stale af for me. They haven't added anything new to it. After a new killer comes out I'll play for about a week during a buggy update, then it's back do a different game

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,090
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm a simple creature that enjoys the simpler things. In 2017, I could simply swap killers mid lobby. 2022? No killer swapping mid lobby. Not as enjoyable for me. 2017, same bullshit but less performance issues on console. 2022, same bullshit but more performance issues on console

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677
    Options

No this game sucks now. I took a break after 6.0 released and only recently tried playing again. I can play maybe 1-3 matches a week before I decide its time to put it away. Playing survivor isn't rewarding anymore and playing killer is braindead easy.