Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Older cosmetics becoming limited has left me disappointed

For those that don't know, all older Christmas themed cosmetics are becoming limited and will be leaving the store with the newly released ones once the time for them is up. This includes the Christmas sweaters.

I'm already dissapointed that they are continuing to do this, put applying this to older cosmetics the community has been able to buy for years? That's just a new low.

What's next? Blight skins becoming limited? Easter? Lunar New Year?

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,967
    edited December 2022

Next is probably characters only being available in the paid track on the rift lol

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729

Tfw not even NE retroactively changes their skins to be limited.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,983

Next is: You are going to buy a limited time cosmetic, and they will also be limited time play, only during the events

• BarnesFlam
    BarnesFlam Member Posts: 654

That's Team Fortress 2's Halloween event cosmetics you are describing right now.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

I can't even express how infuriating and scummy this truly is. Limited time cosmetics is one thing, but removing already existing cosmetics from the store to make them time limited? Absolutely greedy and quite frankly, ridiculous.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,367
    edited December 2022

I had no idea. This is literally the first topic about this on these forums.

But seriously, why does the entire forum have to be filled with nothing but this topic on the first page?

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

Does this include Krampus?

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377

Can't wait until I can only buy Sadako on the 7th month of the year 😍

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,761

Between 7am and 7pm of July and only on years with a 7 in them or a year divisible by 7

• AbsolutGrndZer0

Yes, something I figured out in the first 10 topics posted about this subject.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,761

Maybe that should tell you something about the volume of people that dislike it... come on you're so close to an epiphany here

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

What is the problem with time limited cosmetics? If you like it, then buy it. If you don't like it, then why does it matter that it disappears for some time?

• fogdonkey

Hmm, interesting, there are definitely some valid points in what you write. I guess most people who complain have some partial FOMO mental issue. Still it seems to me like some random problem that for some reason is put under spotlight. E.g. why isn't anyone complaining that there is no time limitation on how much DBD you can play... There definitely are people who spend too much time on it, because they have some gaming addiction and no built-in time limit is not helping with that.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    edited December 2022

Limits on how much you can play actually further addictive behaviour, it's why mobile games have stamina bars and the like. You want people to clock in regularly, play, and be enticed to spend money to skip the wait if at all possible, or to maximise the value of the time spent in game.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170

There is a key difference between a person spending too much time playing DBD and one buying skins because they have poor impulse control: one is being taken advantage of to gain more money, the other is not.

Now if DBD were to implement a time limit in how much you can play, and ask you to pay to play more, that would be a different situation (but of course, that would be an extreme situation)

Yes they did, it's in the in-game news

• Lycidas

Understandable, it wasn't written in the first communication unless I'm mistaken and BHVR updated the news only after a couple days

Totally admirable way of communicating such an important change, I know.

• fogdonkey

Yes, one is about money, the other is about time. Not sure what is your point here, maybe that money is more valuable than time? Well I guess it's different for each person, but in the end time is money, so it's the same.

• Lycidas

I already told why they're two completely different things. "Poor impulse control" is being taken advantage of to make more money, "Playing too much DBD" is not.

You can start asking for a time limit on how much DBD you can play if you think that's an issue, but there was never one implemented, but as @RainehDaze says time-limits in games are used for the opposite effect, to keep bringing people back to play because "Your energy is full! Come play again!".

Up until the introduction of time-limited skins DBD was not engaging in FOMO (for the most part, there was a tiny little bit here and there but still bearable), now they are actually starting to actively utilize that tactic AND dragging previously released cosmetics into it. Hence the people complaining about it.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096
    edited December 2022

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely weird and even though I have said it isn't that big of a deal there just is no reason for it.

I mean, there isn't any reason to actually make the change. The change itself doesn't do anything, but make skins available only during those times.

People who buy skins will buy them and people who don't won't.

• Jay_K
    Jay_K Member Posts: 429

Honestly I don't get the attitude of the players regarding this issue. They are skins, they do not change the game at all I terms of gameplay and as a killer you don't event get to see your own skin. So what if Christmas are limited to Christmas purchase. And so what if they do that for other categories. For new or returning players I see this as a better thing because it makes the skin store less overwhelming when deciding to buy a new skin.

For those saying the dlcs will become limited your off your rocker. That would not make any sense from a business standpoint where as limited time skins do make sense from business. How about everyone just drops the skin issue and fights for real changes that need to be made in the game like the over spawning of objects or the fact that the recent dlc was a complete farce.

If your that worried about skins in a game may I suggest go play Minecraft. You can have all the skins you want for free :)

(Fyi that was a joke and I feel it needs clarifying to some people these days)

• AbsolutGrndZer0

No, just tells me that people need to actually read the forums instead of making a new topic every single time. Most forums will actually close and consolidate multiple topics, but so far BHVR doesn't seem to be doing that despite their rules saying to not make 20 brand new posts on the same topic.