Mental Health

Options
A_Can_Of_Air
A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,015
edited December 2022 in General Discussions

I think with the introduction of bots, it’s for the best that I stick with these. Why?

Dead by Daylight has been a plague on my mental health for years and it’s something I’ve pushed to the side and tried to ignore. Recently, I’ve realised that Dead by Daylight is a big source of some of the anger and frustration I feel in my life, mainly after sessions of playing.

I’ll be frustrated that I couldn’t play one more match (addiction) to try and end the night on a high note. I’ll watch back streams and feel horrible about how other people had a fun game together while I was miserable and felt powerless (self loathing). After I’ve stopped playing, my bad attitude gets in the way with my interactions with the people close to me ( I just shut off and try to block everything out while I let my frustrations simmer away and fade, which causes me to disconnect from people. I am not a violent person luckily).

This has been happening for years and it’s a hard decision, because of the time and money invested, but I need to force myself to stop playing online. The toll it’s taking on my mental health is becoming worse and it has a genuine grip on me.

It’s likely an issue in other online PvP games, like Overwatch for example, but Overwatch was easy to drop because the gameplay just didn’t keep me hooked enough and the new monetisation system with heroes behind paywalls is really unappealing.

I guess the reason I’ve made this thread is to come to terms with what the game has done to me, and to see if there are others who can relate.

Post edited by A_Can_Of_Air on

Comments

• A_Can_Of_Air
    Options

If we are discussing it more personally, I’m already on a several year long waiting list to be seen by somebody. Mental health counselling is hard to get where I’m from, and even then it’s not always effective. Only people who are severely or critically in need of it are seen to sooner. It’s rough, but cutting out factors that trigger strong emotions and feelings is important, hence this post and coming to terms with what DbD does to me.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Im not sure if this will be of any help, but ill give it a shot.

heroes behind paywalls is really unappealing.

You have that here too, its just perks behind paywalls with every new chapter. Can it be played with out, yearh sure, so can overwatch.

But its fun when you have all the toys the other people use too.

I hope you get some help and that you get better soon.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

I feel like you should step away from DBD for a while, but as long as your bot matches are chill than that’s cool too. Playing DBD can be super frustrating.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

and somehow, in that second pic, the PC is still powered on and the GPU fans are spinning

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,079
    Options

Ha, I didn't even realize that.

This friggin PC is built like a damn tank thankfully for me

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670
    Options

I can relate to you to some degree. I'm a deep anxious person. Fortunately, here where I live it's relatively easy to find aid for mental health and at the end things got so much better for me. Psychiatric helped me with the symptons I was having and a psychologist helped me to understand what's going on with me. Honestly, the later was the most importante to me. Having someone with a neutral perspective of you is transcendental. 

Sometimes we are so deeply involved with our own feelings and perceptions that we can't see things the way they really are. The psychologist is like the person that open your eyes and ears.

Just know that it's ok, sometimes things get out of our control, but you don't need to suffer, seek help when possible, it's worth :)

• ImNotBobDylan
    ImNotBobDylan Member Posts: 221
    Options

Ultimately, video games are meant to be fun, and as a hobby, you shouldn't play the game for any other reason (esports/streaming is extremely unlikely to be succesful, statistically you could as well play the lottery). I feel like what you're describing is video game addiction. And my advice will not be a boring & generic "play less video games" because I don't think that's the problem, I think you can actually play 50 hours a week without being addicted, but the problem is it seems in your case you are playing without really knowing why. Probably you hope that "something" will happen, but then stop and rationalize what that "something" is, whether you really need it.

I have one particular example in mind: at some point probably you have faced a bully squad that tbagged you hard and told you that you are so bad that you couldn't even kill one of them etc. When that happens, you might feel tempted to think that it is because you're truly bad at the game and then the solution is to simply play more games, so that you become very good at the game and can beat these toxic players, but thinking this is one of the worst mistakes you could make. Because now you would no longer playing a game as a hobby, so 1) You'll sink thousands of hours "practicing" for a video game, wasting your own time not doing anything productive, and not even having fun, just to take revenge over a few losers you'll never meet again and 2) You'll still, always, end up facing someone better than you at some point, and this experience will always repeat, because you'll always end up meeting a toxic player who is just better than you. Even Otzdarva got bullied in one or two of his thousand games played.

No one cares that you lost a game at DBD. Literally. If you asked your friends, do you think they would care that you lost a game at DBD? I can guarantee they don't. Did one of your friends ever asked what was your K/D? how much time you played DBD? Noone cares. I've played games for 15+ years, I've been very good at some, yet that has literally made me gain ZERO thing in real life. If anything, being too good at a game will often make other gamers jealous and write more toxic things, while if you sandbag and let them win you'll suddenly notice that random people comment with +reps on your profile, lol.

Look at every single top streamer. They play for fun, at all times. Skermz and Alby imo are excellent examples, they get facecamped, hit on hook, killer closes the hatch on their face they absolutely don't give a #########, and it's more fun for everyone that way. The other day Alby was trying to play Bubba and got absolutely ######### on by a SWF, he DC'd then joked about it with his "bullies" in chat, it was absolutely hilarious. Where someone might have become angry because his ego was hit, Alby took it like a grown man and with a lot of humor. I recommend watching their streams, just so you can maybe discover a fresh approach on how to play DBD.

If you know other gamers, something that helps a lot is to play with a friend. That way you can always discuss/joke even when the game is awfull, so you will be less inclined to take it seriously. And FFS I know we shouldn't encourage DC'ing but if it's going to impact your mental health then just leave or AFK man.

Never hurts to see a psychologist as others said, but maybe my modest anecdotes will help you a bit.

• Sally_S_gay_son
    Sally_S_gay_son Member Posts: 285
    Options

I can completely sympathize that this game can be garbage and demoralizing however it's still just a game if you do not feel well just do not play it, unless you are a streamer and your income depends on it, you just need to practice self-control.

I personally just uninstall the game when I feel like I am getting too angry.

Also, DBD used to be my go to game to play with my bf and my irl friends but they all moved on from it and we just started playing some other games togeher which helped me to stop caring about DBD that much, so if you can find some other games to play with other people both irl or online it would help you a lot

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Hey.

I won't recommend you see a professional, rather than paying close attention on what exactly brings negative emotions after sessions.

The best way for both the object and initiator is to get your behaviour and goals changed relatively to the object. (In this case, the game)

You most likely want to continue playing the game due to some weird (to me) condition, how you said "Addiction", if the subjects (players) giving you negative emotions occasionally, finding the other way to fullfill the joy (bots) is one way to treat yourself better way.

Personally, I'd recommend you to try revising the sources and goals of what have happen to your emotional state after each interaction with the object which is impacting your mental state even after the exact "interaction". In case of your message, you already know the "issue", it's the subjects.

"Why players getting to your mood?", "Why it's impacting your life, after a session?", "How you treated yourself to be able to comeback after interaction with the object of your stress?"

Easier (but not the best) way is do exactly what @Ghouled_Mojo said, and completely block any "relations" with the object, to prevent interactions with the subjects. Same as @GentlemanFridge .

Try to interact with the source in a different way which is less impactfull on your emotions (bots), but you have to understand, doing that will not change (or treat) anything to exact source. So basically, I'd like to read some of your answers to basic questions:

1. What is your current goal while you playing the game?
    2. What is the most unnerving moments you keep encountering on a way of playing?
    3. Negativity have a serious impact on your real life, exactly because...?
    4. For how long you can stay away from your "object" of stress (the game)?

I'd rather stay away from my job while I'm not working. -_-

Hope you understand, cheers mate!

• A_Can_Of_Air
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hey, I’ll go ahead and answer them:

1. I mainly play Killer as I find the general gameplay more fun. My main goal playing is to have an enjoyable match a majority of the time. I am aware that I can’t always have this, but when the scales tip and I find myself having more frustrating matches than satisfactory ones ( satisfactory being 1/2K or multiple hooks, multiple successful chases), it brings my mood down massively. The goal is to have matches where at bare minimum I can say “that was fine”.
    2. Most unnerving moments are when Survivors are noticeably more skillfull than me, usually multiple or the whole team. Survivors who are very good in the chase and cause me to really struggle catching them, bonus points for bad manners and bragging at the end. A chase that goes on for too long with no success induces the most stress, especially when I’m giving it everything I’ve got. Game related bugs are especially frustrating as they can’t be controlled by either side and can often work in my oppositions favour. I’d say game related bugs probably cause the most frustration when they do happen, as having no control over it is a horrible feeling.
    3. After a session where things didn’t go well, I will have a dampened mood and end up trying not to interact with those around me so that I can process my emotions and calm down. I carry the type of anger that requires me to be in my own space and process my own emotions. If anyone tries to interact with me it usually stalls my “calming down” process and causes me to respond angrily to things said to me or just generally dead pan. It’s usually very obvious when I do not want to be interacted with.
    4. After particularly bad times I could stay away for up to a week or two. Less bad times usually between a day or two to three days.
  • Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

Thank you guys for sharing your stories. I hope the devs read them and promote a more positive experience for everyone, like an endorsement system for exemple.

• A_Can_Of_Air
    Options

I think the devs promoting looking after yourself would be very welcome and would help people see BHVR as a company that actually cares about its players.

They could just take the approach that people are responsible for their own mental health and how they handle things, which is somewhat fair, but them acknowledging that an online competitive game can be rough on certain people who just want to enjoy their game would be really nice to see.

Having them encourage us to take breaks, look after ourselves and play when you feel ready to. Give us tips on how to deal with unsportsmanlike behaviour and like you said, some form of endorsement system to encourage people to play better/fairer and be rewarded for it. Something like Overwatch’s endorsement system, maybe with a weekly BP/Shard reward depending on how high your level is.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Let's just simply put aside the negative "threads", I'd like you to read this closely.=)

You made the right decision by going at "social chats" to have a discussion about things that bothering you. There is always good people who can relate, there is nothing can be more best, than having a discussion with people who "were in a same skin". Even if someone can say, that "seeking help" on the internet is one way to get yourself in trouble.

Based on your answers:

Don't keep negative emotions in you my guy, when we can't do anything better with the source of "negativity" while we interract with one, people already suggested a really good ways, on the object of "how I deal with my frustration".

Someone is bashing stuff to let go (or redirect) the anger.

Someone is simply taking a brake, or playing a different game with good friends.

To me, you're inteligent enough to understand that redirecting anger and negativity on other people is one way to make yourself feel even worse.

I've seen you already made a decision on how you should treat yourself a better way, this is what matters, this is primely, based on your message here:

(You can ignore the message below, it's about "How I deal with my frustration")

Me and my colleagues, see any pvp games as a resource of satisfying our daily negatives. Interaction with subjects (their reaction on our actions) our prime goal in such games, due to that, we never getting frustrated or really angry in such games. Especially in games like Dead by daylight, when you have completely different (asymmetrical) opponents.

Understanding the principles of any PVP games (in our discussion it's - frustrating your opponent), we take any "frustrating" factor as a normal subject. There for, any subject that "trying their best" to throw or be as negative as possible towards you - completely normal occurrence.

This phenomenon serves as a strong barrier, it protects our mental state from crossing the line and further affect our daily lifes. (Even if)

You're a smart guy.=) I wish you all the besties you could get from DBD and other games. Take a good care of your mental health, treat yourself lovely.

• A_Can_Of_Air
    Options

Thank you for this, I appreciate the time you took to write these responses up and I’ll take your advice to heart :)

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

Nothing is more important than your physical and mental health. Please take care of yourselves.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,079
    Options

The system is already in place even (Giving Props), BHVR just has to do something with it. Hell, even just a quick "you got props" message might be all it takes to turn a rough night around.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

I have quit DBD for nearly a year and had many months off here and there as the toxicity of others really got to me.

Though surprisingly considering it is ultimately just a game, there is a lot to be learned from DBD and it can be applied to aspects of life that actually matter. It has helped me to be a lot better at moving on from things rather than holding grudges so I can let go easier, it also teaches humility as no matter how good you may be at some aspect there is always someone better.

It can also be a great lesson in determination and changing your mindset so negatives can give you strength when YOU find the place within that helps you overcome the surprising levels of anxiety and stress a game can induce. Trying to meet personal targets or get achievements can be a truly beneficial exercise in determination and persistence, plus it can also help you learn when it is time to wind down and maybe put something down for the meantime so you can come back to it with a clear head.

Turn the negatives into a growth opportunity

• TheHatchPolice
    TheHatchPolice Member Posts: 8
    Options

Sending love to you and your family and to anyone else who is struggling with their mental health. ❤️❤️❤️

• WorthlessBeing
    WorthlessBeing Member Posts: 377
    Options

As it might be guessed with my account name, I too happen to struggle with mental health issues. And this game has both helped me and harmed me in many ways over the years. Like you, the addition of a vs Bot game mode is nothing short of an unexpected miracle, although it does need a little bit of polishing (the ability to choose the bots' survivors instead of having to reroll each time until you get lucky, and adding survivor skins that are unique like Chris and Claire Redfield, James Sunderland, etc...).

I'll admit I haven't found a method beyond that to expel the pressure and frustration of being a Killer main that keeps using suboptimal builds and is, all things considered, not that good (You can easily notice it by going through my post's history). It's hard to fight toxicity sometimes and not succumb to it.

As others have said, your mental health should always, and I mean ALWAYS, be the priority in your life. The body can simply not work if the mind is damaged, both literally and metaphorically. This post right here with the link is especially important:

As, this link has been posted and shared for years and is still relevant. I doubt that BHVR wanted to make a game that is so toxic, but the genre seems to be toxic in and of itself. Honestly if it weren't for the IPs they have, I doubt I'd still be playing. (There's literally no other video game in existence where you can play as Michael Myers, Sadako or Ghostface).

All I can tell you is to take care of yourself, although you seem to already be doing it. And never feel bad about playing against Bot if you're more comfortable with it. It can happen to me sometimes, I don't know if it does to anyone, but it's a wrong feeling. Play to have fun.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    Options

I just want to say, I read your original post and your responses to everyone else…and I think more people feel like this then they’d care to admit. Maybe not to the same extreme, but at least some extent.

I don’t like to get too personal on a forum that I feel doesn’t want me here in the first place (lol but Fr), but I’ll say killer is very frustrating and I do think it causes a lot of mental and emotional stress. When I first started playing…never having been in a gaming community of this kind..I would be so sad/mad..I didn’t understand why I was not only antagonized in matches, but it would then carry over to actual messages and voice messages after game. It was so bizarre to me. My boyfriend would come in and ask me why I was still playing something if it was making me so sad, and I’d tell him I just “had” to keep playing, because I needed to get good…..I almost couldn’t stop, even when I wanted to.

Well, I did get good and that came with more problems…high level, swfs …rinse and repeat. People who know how to truly play the game and w their coms make it even harder to out play. I’m a Trapper main, so it’s not hard to have my power taken.

I promise I’m building to a point….dbd is the only thing I’ve ever felt truly addicted to…and I’ve asked myself why? I’m not even having fun…even my good games, don’t feel good anymore. It’s not the losing that does it for me, it’s the constant BMing over and over and over.

The problem isn’t BHVR tho, it’s the players that are playing that way and making the game miserable..the players need to be kind to one another, the players need to mind their BMing, the players need to remember it’s an actual person behind the killer..or even behind the survivor, because I know killers can be toxic too. People can say it’s just a game, but if they thought the BMing was truly nothing to be upset about…they wouldn’t do it, because what would the point be? Dbd makes cruel people crueler w no repercussions.

I do think bots is an amazing idea and an excellent addition! I’ve also found having bad dbd days puts me in a terrible mood irl as well, and have also found bots a nice, lighthearted way to play. I enjoy getting to practice with killers I’ve always wanted to get good with, like hatchets w Huntress, without having to sweat just to learn a killer.

Idk if I’ve actually said anything that amounted to the point I was trying to get at lol but I’m just saying, you’re not alone and I think a lot of people feel like you to a degree. If you ever need to talk more, feel free to reach out. I hope things get better for you!

• Okonar_
    Okonar_ Member Posts: 499
    Options

I don't know your personal life, but if its mostly dbd that is causing you problems then its time to move on from this game. Theres a lot of different genres of games out there. Maybe try some mmo's or single player games, whatever you might enjoy.

Its not worth adding unnecessary stress to your life because of a videogame.

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422
    Options

So I want to start by saying there is nothing wrong with playing bot games if that is what you enjoy. You never know how someone else is going to play so playing in a less competitive atmosphere can sometimes just be more enjoyable. Don't feel obligated to play in live matches. The bloodpoints only benefit in other live matches so if you prefer the bot matches go for it.

I do feel like BHVR do promote this to some extent. The main thing being the DC penalty being designed to have you take a break if you are in that kind of mindset. It's goal is to prevent you from playing when you're in that type of place for both you and the other people in the game. I am a bit unsure how they would do something like the league honor or overwatch endorsement system because unlike those DBD is not a fair game. And by that I mean its asymmetric. These system people tend to give the endorsements to teammates who play well or if they are in a full squad giving them to the enemy who they think were the most sportsmanlike or fun to play against. The killer has 0 teammates and a SWF has no options as to who on the enemy team they would want to give points to. These systems often need encouragement for player participation in the sense of some reward, ie the battlepass. I am not saying something like this isn't possible its just a lot more complicated with a game like DBD and I don't know how they would implement it.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,250
    Options

I really hope you get better soon and, for what it's worth, I think stepping back from PvP games for however long you need is the right call for you. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who feel that they have a right to be toxic and make somebody feel worse when all that really means is they're either callous or cruel; quite often both.

Their behaviour is not a reflection on you. You did nothing wrong. This is a form of entertainment, nothing else, and if you need to restrict or limit it for your health then remember you are far more important than a video game and a game does not define you.

I wish you the best and hope you recover soon.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,202
    Options

If playing online has that effect on you, you should indeed keep your distances (for a while).

But in my opinion, the effects of online games on your mood are only a symptom.

A fix often involves, at least one of the items of the following list:

• an healthy dose of sport (like 1h a day),
    • real social contacts (not digital : actual IRL ones),
    • sleeping enough, at a scheduled time, and away from the screen at least a couple of hours before bed (books are a thing)
    • eating "healthy" and avoiding caffeinated stuff on the afternoon.

Depending on how strong the feelings are, you may also want to consider talking to a specialist. Hopefully one that doesn't jumps straight to pills. If the first one does, I'd look for a second opinion.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,367
    Options

I'm happy for you. If you don't mind, I find that exercising can help mental health. All the pent up anger you sometimes feel is better used for something productive. Best of luck in the future.

• IWantCandys
    IWantCandys Member Posts: 161
    Options

I am very sorry to read this.

I also have mental issues (and I am very open with it because it´s part of me) but none related to anger.

I'm rather too sensitive for this world and most of the people in it. I hate when I see how cruel humans are to their own and other species, I hate to see how humans enjoy seeing others down and enjoy it when they make other humans feel miserable. I hate it to see how people bully other people so much that they commit suicide and are then not even aware of their guilt. The world is full of these people. Psychopaths, narcissists, sociopaths.

As a result, I don't like 99% of people, I am a loner in real life and I only feel comfortable with my family.

And here is the problem I have with DBD.

Because I'm a sensitive, empathetic person, I have some idea of what good sportsmanship should look like. And if I experience exactly the opposite 95% of the time in DBD and have the feeling that everyone here tries to take every bit of fun from the other side and enjoys being a absolute jerk to other human beings as if they were a soulless AI, then I have a problem. I could sometimes cry and scream out of sheer desperation because people treat each other like trash. Also in this game.

I realize that not everyone has MY idea of sportsmanship and I have to live with the fact that most people are less sensitive and empathetic than I am, but it's hard. Very hard.

I love video games. I've been playing video games for over 20 years. And video games are usually good for me, but I have to admit that I haven't played a single game before that has emotionally affected me (in a bad way) the way DBD has. Unfortunately, the gameplay is very addictive. Otherwise I would have permanently deleted it a long time ago.

Sometimes I also play with the bots. But since I also like to play Survivor I have no choice but to play live. I hope one day we'll get killer bots too, and then there's a big chance I'll never play live again. Because humanity doesn't change and bots are better for my soul. ;)

I hope you soon can get the treatment that can help you. Keep your head up :)