I Would, Ya Know, Like To Play The Game.

Options

A lot of my games recently have been killers that spawn in, immediately identify a 3-gen, and just spend the entire match at the 3-gen. This isnt even a matter of "watch what generators you do" because the killers themselves are intentionally ignoring survivors outside of the 3-gen so we are forced to go there to complete the generators.

Serious question, how is this fun. 20-30 minute matches of going back and forth to achieve literally no progress. Call of Brine, Overcharge, and Eruption as per usual to make generator impossible to complete, especially in SoloQ.

And this being said, I dont have an issue with the players, people will do what is naturally best, but the fact that this has been happening A LOT lately and has been a serious talking point within the game on social media kind of highlights how it is too effective. Why is BHVR enabling this type of gameplay?

This is quite literally the closest Ive been to quitting the game altogether, but Im nearly done with the Rift Pass. Idk. I just dont enjoy dealing with this over and over, and want to express my frustrations with this.

Comments

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

You know, I mained hag when I first started playing and realistically if you want to win you set up a web around a 3-4 gen. But when other killers can play like this you know it's a problem. It's probably why I never get hate in my games even though I play blight I literally have not kicked a gen coming up on a year now.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Add on extra points if it’s on asarov’s or suffocation pit where doing a 3 gen is beyond easy and camping 1 side of the map with a hooked survivor basically guarantees a win

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,498
    Options

You just really don't want to give the killer the benefit of the doubt, do you? That's literally what these forums are.

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250
    Options

Ruin was nerfed due to survivor frustration. I didn't think so even during the red skill check. It could have been disabled just by breaking the bones.

And now Eruption is in vogue as an alternative. I do not like to play against it. I can understand the frustration this time.

I think it should be tweaked. But do you want a big big nerf?

I am worried about which PERK nerf call will happen next after nerfing it. No, everyone knows it will happen.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,677
    Options

I hate this meta of 4 slowdown + 3 gen camping. It's so unfun for both sides.

Instead I run at max 2 slowdown perks (never Eruption though because I hate kicking gens :p) and try to make the game fun for the survivors by playing as fair as I can (within reason).

I still win most games, but the ones were you lose make you feel like absolute #########, so I can understand why most people run full meta when chances are your opponent is already running full meta and doesn't care about your fun either.

Hopefully BHVR finally learns that the most unfun/toxic playstyles shouldn't be the strongest. But I doubt it.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,939
    Options

Hex: Ruin was originally reworked because of frustration. Then it was nerfed because it got used too much, the meta shake-up had nothing to do with people not liking the perks, they were all based on usage rates.

If you go through the comments on my page, I have suggested many ideas to rework the current meta perks that make them better against SWF but not as strong against SoloQ. Some of the changes might even reduce hostage situations as mentioned in my original post.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707
    Options

Personally I haven't encountered a 3-gen strat game that lasted 30 minutes. I have faced 3-gen Killers but usually my teammates give up after 10 minutes and feed themselves to the Killer. When playing solo this is not worth the time trying to coordinate with randoms with no comms.

I saw a video by Hens yesterday and how he patrolled a 3 gen in Glenvale with the Knight. It is actually impossible for the survivors (a competent 3 man SWF) to finnish the last gen. That is not good and I hope the devs are looking into this. Eruption being the centre and biggest problem of the build in my opinion. The video was to showcase the playstyle but sadly some people choose to play like this and exploit it giving them easy wins most of the time. The 3 gen strat works in most maps if the Killer can recognize it from the start.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

The first Ruin-Rework was done due to multiple aspects. Free pressure at the start of the game, Ruin being inconsistent (you can get multiple Skillchecks or none at all), Ruin being very effective vs. inexperienced Survivors but not really effective against experienced Survivors, present in every Build.

And the Rework itself did not really make Ruin a bad Perk, in fact, it was more annoying to go against IMO. And still a very strong Perk. It only really became oppressive with old Undying, because cleansing Ruin up to 5 times was simply too much.

But after Undying got nerfed, you never really saw complaints about Ruin itself. The only thing which was complained about was Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer, but this could have been solved with the Tinkerer-Nerf they eventually did.

However, the most recent Nerf to Ruin was not due to its strength, it was to remove it from the Meta. This happened to some Perks so that they can they they "changed" the Meta - make Perks unuseable so people run other Perks (e.g. Ruin, PGTW, Self Care, Iron Will).

Like, Ruin did not even need that Nerf and if it should get a Nerf, just disabling it when a Survivor is dead would have been enough. This rarely happens anyway that a Survivor dies before Ruin was cleansed and even if it happens, the Killer is most likely in a very, very good spot at this point. But the regression-Nerf just was to kill the Perk.

And the current Slowdown-Meta is at least on the same Level as OLD Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer, so with multiple Ruin-cleanses and Tinkerer progging all the time. However, unlike nowadays, you were able to counter it by cleansing Ruin (even if it took some time) AND not every Killer was really able to use this combo as effective.

However, the current Meta on top of 3-Genning right from the start can be used by basically any Killer. Just dont chase someone, just protect your 3 Gens. And this is very unhealthy and probably the most boring Meta it has ever been. And IMO just protecting a 3 Gen without any intention to actually do the Objective should be a bannable offense. It is just taking the game hostage, nothing else.

But better idea would be if BHVR would realize that the current Gen-Kicking Meta is not healthy for the game and does changes. Sadly, I think yesterday was the last Patch for a while, since it is Christmas soon so we will probably stick with this Meta for a few months.

• Iron_Cutlass
    edited December 2022
    Options

Some claims are not directed towards you specifically but moreso the community as a whole, albeit I worded it poorly, I will admit that. "You" is a very broad term but in the context in is written in, I can see how it would seem directed towards a specific person.

I mean, if you want to see what I mean in regards to some of the stuff I said, just go through the replies in this or any other killer meta thread and youll see people constantly defending the perks like they have a bomb strapped to their chest or something. There are also many people defending people taking the game hostage as well, because the rules never apply to whatever side they play apparently.

Honestly, this is the closest the community has come to a civil war. Ive never seen the community more divided over a perk than now, not even with old DH.

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673
    edited December 2022
    Options

I'm gonna be honest I started doing the same.

I played some Oni games and I was figuring out how to play him in a way I can manage to kill a good team. So I started to wandering around, trying to find someone and get the first hit since this is so important.

Everytime I found someone they just played everything super safe so that I wa slike: ok, spot the 3-gen and play it defensive. Sometimes I found someone and I start to zone this guy into my 3gen and then just bloodlust the first hit. This is where I started to feel like having a chance to beat a team.

Most of the times I played Oni I felt like I can't get a grip on this team. I felt like I have to play how they wanted me to play but when I played the 3-gen I was setting the rules and they had to leave their throne and be eye-on-eye with me. I hope I made clear how I feel most of my games.

The reason I stopped doing it (that hard) is because it's not really fair and I don't feel like that I am winning by playing well and instead winning by perks and game mechanics that are temporarely meta. Just kick the gens and activate Eruption. Wait out the first hit to fill your power. Down someone with your power and trigger Eruption. Hook someone on a Pain Resonance hook and then go around and trigger DMS. It's just not really fair and the only way to win this even as an solid 4-man-coms-swf is to play it absolutely perfectly from the very first moment you start the match. Sry but that's just bs. And even then it's not fun.

I remember me playing survivor (always solo) and every time a Doctor started to play 3-gen-Doc (back in the days) I couldn't stand playing this ######### for over an hour and getting held hostage. Since those times I'm already getting pretty fast mad when Killer start doing things like that.

So yea I hope they nerf this a bit. I think they just have to change a) the way Eruption works. It has to be core-game-friendly (aka solo q friendly). And Overcharge and CoB shouldn't stack. O yea and they need to fix Eruption regressing a blocked gen. A blocked gen is blocked..

I don't think you have to nerf the numbers itself. You just have to fix how those perks are working and stacking with each other.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,382
    Options

Nobody even asked that. Op even said "I dont have an issue with the players"

It's a game design issue.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,645
    Options

This gets brought up a lot.

It's pretty clear that the answer is focused around the continuous application of Madness 3 and does not apply to all 3 gen scenarios/stall tactics.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 338
    Options

If the 3-gen is easy to patrol it doesn't matter they're not getting kills. It'll come to a point where the game will not progress unless the survivors throw themselves at the killer's weapon. This is especially true if the killer has many regression perks, as it takes longer for survivors to recover than it takes for the killer to reset a gen.

Not saying I blame killer players. I understand this is the easiest way to reach their win condition. What I'm saying is, this is a massive design flaw that should have been patched out years ago.

No one enjoys 3-gen strats. Neither the killer camping the gens, nor the survivors trying to repair them.

If the survivors trying to repair the gens just decided to chill in the basement because it's literally impossible for them to repair them, who would be to blame? The survivors for not trying to engage in normal gameplay? The killer literally trying not to throw their own victory away by randomly patrolling the other, empty side of the map?

No one. It's often not made out of malice, it's people not wanting to throw the game. But it's still a design flaw. It's the game's fault.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

Back in the day, when I was more positive about the direction DbD was heading, I played a lot of friendly killer. I welcomed hundreds of newbs to the game and tried my best to give them a fun match that they'd escape. A respite between the try hard nasty killers. I didn't play to farm until I had my 8 hooks though because farming is boring. I have more games where I ended up with 29,600 bloodpoints on the tally screen than with any other score.

I was hungry for bloodpoints and not kills. I didn't "usually get insulted." Usually it was a neutral experience, sometimes it was a positive experience with a positive endgame chat and rarely I got insulted.

My attitude, and I assume the attitude of many others, towards DbD has changed. Now there is always some challenge to be done. The way rank is earned has changed. Most of the time there is no endgame chat because console players don't get that luxury. With the 6.1.0 nerf to BBQ and Chili there isn't even any reason to try to have a hook on all 4 survivors before people start dying.

As with everything, especially in DbD, there are multiple contributing factors as to why things happen.

Now I only play friendly killer during anniversary events.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,147
    Options

I went today agains't one or so I though but then he had noed and bloodwarden at the end so he was just faking it.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I literally said it entirely is about players who camp a 3-gen at the start of the match and never leave the area. The entire post, in fact, is about that. It was literally the first 2 paragraphs of the post.

Survivors can 3-gen themselves, but I think people often forget that the killer has the power to force a 3-gen since the beginning. I mean, it's literally how most trap killers win anyways, because they otherwise cannot protect a wide generator spread (neither can most other killers).

Ive stated it before, I dont blame the players for being this way. I think the game design does not support killers enough to deal with a more health playstyle atm. I also think people are always going to lean towards what is best naturally, people are not going to intentionally handicap themselves to be "fair", it would be silly to assume so.

It would be neat to have increased movement speed after hooking a survivor that goes away once you enter a chase, it would cause people to not do stuff as much. But also perks should always reward killers for doing their objective. Old Pop Goes and Pain Res were good for this since you had to hook survivors to get them; the current meta just rewards players without need to progress the game, which enables holding the game hostage among other things.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,979
    Options

Killers in general get insulted over anything. If no matter what you do is going to end up with someone insulting you, might as well play to win.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I mean, I think everyone gets insulted, not that long ago I got post-game harassment from a killer for solving the box (it was Pinhead) and ending their Chain Hunt, which ended up getting a 3-man out as a result. The killer spent the entire time nodding "no" at me on hook and even when I was dead on hook they kept doing it.

I just think since you see 4 survivors and 1 killer, since there are generally more survivors, you see more survivors harassing the killer, but the % of people harassing the other side is the same. Same %, just one has a higher population.

Idk if this makes sense. I hope it does.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

Nowhere in that screenshot does the phrase "play normally" show up. You tried to cite what I said, then moved the goalposts.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Options

I never said that you said me in particular, Im just saying the original point in the post is about camping a 3-gen from the start. Im really not sure why people would divulge it into 3-gens in general since if the survivors 3-gen themselves it is there fault most of the time.

• Iron_Cutlass
    edited December 2022
    Options

How am I moving the goalpost? Please explain and elaborate for the class.

Since I clearly stated what "play normally" meant after you jumped to conclusions about what I meant. And I used the screenshot to explain what is and isnt against the rules.

You assumed "play normally" meant "you cant camp, tunnel, or slug" when I never mentioned that, this entire post has been about taking the game hostage. So I said that "playing normally means not taking the game hostage and following the rules", because that is literally what I meant to begin with.

No goalposts were moved, I just corrected your wrong assumption of what I meant.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,911
    Options

Survivors can 3-gen themselves, but I think people often forget that the killer has the power to force a 3-gen since the beginning. I mean, it's literally how most trap killers win anyways, because they otherwise cannot protect a wide generator spread (neither can most other killers).

You answered your own question in opening post. "Serious question, how is this fun."

Its not fun playing weak killers that have weak chase potential to be easily outplayed by survivors. Seriously, Take the new killer, the Knight. Why would a killer player roam around the map looking for chases with such a s** chase power? Most of killer powers are just plagued with drawbacks and survivor-fun mechanics. Your expecting trapper to fly around the map chasing people with no ability and hoping that he magically 3-4k's. You have to make killer power entertaining for killer player to use in order for killer player to entertain you in the chase. So far, they have only made killer entertaining for the survivor to go against but forgot the killer player playing the killer. inadequate chasing power to pressure the map results in 3 gen gameplay.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Nah, i can count the insults from killers on my profile on 1 hand. The other 62 pages of "love messages" are from survivors. Even when taking the 4 to 1 ration into account it still doesn´t match.

Some people are simply salty. Doesn´t matter if they win or lose. They still seem to have an urge to leave a message.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

People should just play how they want. Leaving a toxic message after the match is just... immature. It won´t change the way the addressed player plays. It won´t have an impact on your next match.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

It's a problem on both fronts. So long as BHVR keeps investing in survivor perks that serve no other purpose but to finish gens as quickly as possible (especially when combined with a toolbox), then killers will continue to bring the most effective regression perks while camping a 3 gen.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Point of the post is that some killers are refusing to down survivors in 3/4 gen scenarios to prolong the game for as long as possible. Truthfully, I don’t get how so much people are missing the point.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options

I hate when killers do this, why do you wanna drag the game out forever??? There’s literally no fun in that.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

It seems like the only killer play style that isn’t complained about is chasing survivors all match, never defending gens, running as far away as possible from a hooked survivor, letting all unhooked survivor heal in peace and quiet, not chasing or hooking that survivor again until all other survivors have been hooked, then making sure to go to the exit gate at the end of the match and quietly watch while all the survivors t-bag you for 3 minutes until the EGC timer runs out

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Yes that’s all survivors want to do! They hate killers!

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 386
    Options

Then why do survivors want to be out of the game as quickly as possible?

It's simple, both killers and survivors really only have one task to do. One is to finish the generators and escape, the other is to kill survivors and prevent them from escaping. In order to do their one task as efficiently as possible, each side will bring the most efficient way to do it.