Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So players now add people to Steam in order to not harass them in a post match lobby?

I guess the reports are working if you report a super toxic dude after a match in DBD itself, but I've noticed that most of them don't write a thing and add people to Steam in order to threaten/spam personal messages in Steam.

The ban policy literally says that "what's happening outside of DBD is supposed to be reported to that platform". The problem is that Steam doesn't even care about punishing players for death threats, nationalism and other forms of harassment. And the real fact is that some gaming companies actually do care about what their players do/say outside of the game even if it's remotevely connected to the gaming community itself.

So, what to do if a person evades post-match lobby but starts harassing personally about specific game/match. Because reporting to BHVR is pointless according to their ban policy.

Comments

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,851

If you play killer this can be shockingly common... which is why I love playing in anonymous mode.

• Jurizaurz
    Jurizaurz Member Posts: 26

My Steam comments are already set to not allow people outside of friend list to post into that section.

Not accepting doesn't work simply because I got 2 people like that who are actually fine and completely ignoring is just a stupid decision but there should be a way to punish players for evading a system.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Yup.

DbD was the game that made me private my Steam profile - at least twice a day, I'd have someone scrawling something nasty on my Steam wall. The nadir was when I managed to beat a moderately sized TTV (I was on Hag, and more accurately they beat themselves trying to show off), and they sent their viewers to spam me.

They did get a temporary Twitch ban, but after that - nope.

Of course, until they added Anonymous mode, I'd get people trying to friend me to cuss me out - which was annoying, as I also had folks friend me to play SWF.

• Grumblephant
    Grumblephant Member Posts: 93

I've had a friend request in the middle of a match after killing someone. In the post-chat they seemed nice, but honestly with the internet, I've gotten huge trust issues. I just denied it. I want friends, but someone who friend requests after I kill them seems awfully suspicious to me.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

If they are harassing you over Steam you have to file a report on Steam as its another platform and out of BHVR "jurisdiction", in my experience Steam reports usually work, most people I reported for valid reasons (certain profile pictures, hate speech on their bio, threats on comments etc) have always been dealt with.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

Obviously that is not ok, I want to make sure that is perfectly clear

But in a way, I'd think that this would end even worse for harassers being jerks. I guess I don't know exactly how Steam works but I would imagine getting yourself banned from Steam would be FAR worse than just getting banned from DBD.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,452

Anon Mode + Hide Chat is the way.

Unfortunately I can't disable chat completely. Maybe one day.

• StarLost

Steam really doesn't care. You'd have to do way worse than calling someone an epithet to get their attention.

• tippy2k2

Damn, that's a shame.

I know Microsoft/Sony seem to get a bit of a bad rep because they are a little too overzealous when it comes to this kind of thing but that's an easy fix; don't be an ######### to people online over a video game :D

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 239

Free EGS copy wins again

• StarLost
    edited December 2022

Sony are the other extreme (also Ubisoft) where they'll ban people for being mildly critical of them, or even parodying them.

Yeah, I still have a beef with Sony after they deliberately put malware on their CDs back in their day, which wound up ruining a PC of mine because I wanted to play that new Korn album.

EDIT: Also, hah! Either you've got a doppelganger out there, or I played against you the other day. I was the Ghostface in the snowman ^^

• tippy2k2

I know I played a few ghosties the last few days but I don't recall a Ghostie who hopped in the snowman. Though I may have just never noticed you doing that :D Or I forgot because I have the memory of a goldfish!

I do go by Tippy2K on DBD (no second 2 in my user name). I've seen a lot of names similar to mine though (I'm guessing they're referring to Tippy as in drunk or whatnot where my Tippy is a nickname from Middle School that I've carried with me this entire time) but as long as that Tippy was super good and awesome at the game, I'll take credit for them being me! :D

• StarLost

They were on...either Ash or Chris (which is what suddenly caught my attention) but yeah. I've also played against Aven and Tiuful recently.

Not sure how the game went, I just remember failing to sneak up on people in a snowman on it.

• tippy2k2

I'm always paranoid when people might recognize me

Maybe that's a game where I'm off and I look like I've never played the game in my life! Or maybe it was a night of frustration so some of the "rules" I've put in the forum aren't always fully followed because I'm just kind of tilted. Or maybe I'm going to find out that the super cool Starlost on the forum ends up being a complete tosser who messages Death Threats at me :D (of course you did not do that, just using your name as my example).

Where much more likely, nobody even notices that I'm their opponent and they had no idea they just went up against me :D

• StarLost

I feel you. I'm an Anon player now and oh man, it's so much better.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

Yeah, I remember when I started playing this game and got friend requests from random opponents -- I was like, "Hm. I bet that's not friendly," and ignored it, but it sucks that when someone from this game wants to have contact with you, you have to assume it's for a negative reason.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,850

Busted someone for cheating. Then I left the game chat to prep for the next match. They tried adding me on Steam - heck no, don't want a cheater on my friends list. I did inspect their profile, what what do ya know, they had a VAC ban on their history. Sounds about right.