Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why are people allowed to bait the killer to me?

It happens way too often, my teammate will get chased by the killer so they run at me so the killer goes for me instead.

Answers

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250

I can sympathize with your frustration if they are invariably equipped with a bond.

• Ayjay
    Ayjay Member Posts: 44

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Oh, that's a good one.

My pet peeve is teammates downing a pallet next to you in the first 30s of the game, and then proceeding to go down in the following 30s as they're not good loopers either. It doesn't happen the most often, but it's still weird that it happens at all.

• Ayjay
    Ayjay Member Posts: 44

That's the other thing I don't understand, why don't more people use Bond?

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,851

Honestly I don't use it but I used to combine it with old Spine Chill so I had so much info.

I tend to have better game sense now so I rarely run killers to my team mates anyway

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Eh...here's how it looks from my perspective when I'm playing killer.

I'm trying not to tunnel, but the only person I find is the Meg who just got unhooked. Okay then.

Meg runs, I chase, but I see a David working on a gen who I haven't hooked, so I peel off and chase him instead. I'm doing an archive that will be impossible if Meg DCs.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

Here's how it works from my perspective as survivor. I am the only person that has been hooked. Meg, who has bond, is being chased and leads the killer to my location. The killer drops her chase and chases me to tunnel me out.

Meg is working with the killer. It is a reportable violation of the rules and the evidence showing she has bond proves she knew exactly where all survivors are.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Shrug. If that's really the case, report them with footage.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

People see this game and think it's 1 v 4 but in a way, it's 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 v 1, just one of you has the ability to brutally murder the others.

You might find it frustrating but unless the survivor is actually working with the killer, it's not against the rules to screw over your teammates to save yourself. It might be incredibly short sighted and stupid pending what point it is in the match but it's not illegal.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

But it would "only" be her working with him and not necessarily the other way around. Got some very angry massages when I broke chase to go for a easier target when one survivor is bringing me there with bond. Not my fault and not me working with them if I could now beforehand they have bond I would not do it but I cant

• Grumblephant
    Grumblephant Member Posts: 93

Always reminds me of the time I started a match and my teammate threw a pallet down and next thing I know, I'm getting chainsawed by a Billy going Mach 5.

Sometimes people just load into a match just to be jerks, whether from slamming lockers rapidly, bringing a killer to the gen you're working on, or even just fast vaulting over a window over and over until its blocked and you have no way to escape the killer.

• moonwinx
    moonwinx Member Posts: 51

I would say most of the time it is probably an accident. Sometimes I play with friends and the amount of "sorry sorry sorrys" that get dropped as someone accidentally runs the killer over to a gen in progress is funny. If you are in chase with a killer, you typically want to run to a strong loop, but also sometimes that's where gens are. Also, its smart to go to a strong loop to reset. I look at it as, there are hotspots on maps where action tends to happen (think shack or main building), so its understandable when a chase runs into other survivors.

Sometimes it is the correct decision a teammate is making. If someone is on death hook, and I haven't been hooked yet, I want them to run the killer to me. If they go down they are out,, and depending on the number of gens left the game might become unwinnable. If I go down, the team still has a little bit of breathing room.

Sometimes it's just a scaredy cat teammate who doesn't want to be hooked and will do anything to make the killer someone else's problem. That's frustrating, but also part of the game, and why a lot of people choose to SWF.

And sometimes its a jerk who just wants to be mean and ruin someone else's day. Technically this last one isn't allowed (I think), because teaming up with the killer to get someone killed is a bannable offense. Although you have to prove that is what happened and not one of the other three scenarios.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Deliberatly running the killer into your teammates isn't reportable and it isn't 'working with the killer'. It's a douche move yeah but it's not against the rules, chill.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949

Personally I don't use bond cause of my perk set up. I use Kindred, exhaust perk, OTR, and Prove. I'd have to sacrifice gen efficiency for more information

• AverageKateMain

My biggest pet peeve is the people who follow around for a flashlight save and then miss

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Eh, I cut them some slack. They'll learn =) Though it's a bummer they messed it up for me =(

• AverageKateMain

I mean that's a fair viewpoint. I just prefer people to do gens. Especially since I face a lot of higher level killers like Blight. Honestly it's been too much Blight recently

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389
    edited December 2022

Teammate leads the killer to you? Nah. Just press the invincibility button until you're okay with being chased. All for you.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • kisfenkin

Oh it 100% is reportable to work with the killer. It isn't just a douche move it is cheating and will get you banned. You don't know what you are talking about.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

I would assume they can bait if they have bond on or something similar that shows teammate aura's, most other times it's probably an accident. And I may say something controversial, but sometimes I don't think it is the wrong move if you're not scared of the killer and your teammate is getting tunneled. You should be taking pressure off of him actually. Now if he's making noise on purpose while you're on the same time, yeah I agree he's being stupid.

• Krazzik

Running the killer into other survivors isn't "working with the killer" though, I don't think you understand what you're talking about. If you report someone for doing that you're breaking the rules by false reporting.

• kisfenkin

It is. Another thing that is against the rules, is supporting and condoning cheating on the forums.

• Krazzik

Again I repeat, baiting the killer into other survivors, even on purpose with Bond, is not against the rules, it is not 'working with the killer'. You have done nothing to prove it is and BHVR has never claimed it is against the rules. Sorry.

• kisfenkin

THERE IS NOTHING THE SURVIVOR CAN DO TO "WORK WITH THE KILLER' OTHER THAN PURPOSEFULLY LEAD THE KILLER TO THE OTHER SURVIVORS.

SERIOUSLY, HOW CAN YOU NOT COMPREHEND THIS! You a purposefully trolling. Either get the hint, or face the report for supporting and condoning cheating. YOUR CHOICE!

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 903
    edited December 2022

As has already been said on here, most 'baits' are accidental, even if they occur multiple times by the same person. A lot of survivors are not situationally aware and will just run to whatever pallet or loop they can. Most gens are in or around jungle gyms and pallets, so you see where this is going. Also, maps like RPD have high stakes rooms like the main lobby and Lerys with the central gen, where you can almost be assured to have your gen repair interrupted by chase.

Now the fact that the killer switches onto you could be A. you are repairing a gen and they want you to stop B. They couldn't catch the person they are running after and tried their luck with you C. You are playing really scary and this makes them think you're more of a hider than a runner--easy catch.

Now intentionally getting a killer on someone else can and does happen, but you can usually see after game if the person has bond or some other survivor aura reveal but its usually bond. However, just because a survivor has bond and ran in your direction during chase doesn't mean they were trying to set you up. They may have had no choice but to use an already occupied tile to stay alive. But if that survivor is actually following your pathing while running multiple times you know they are trying to switch aggro onto you.

Best you can do is stay alert and move out of the way sooner than later and return to your gen when its safe to do so.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 961

Could be a a variety of things:

They're on death hook and you haven't taken a hook, they might bait the killer to you to buy more time.

Strong loop in the middle of a gen location.

Killer is not blind and spots you in the distance, may break off to force split pressure. As the injured survivor most likely will not be on a gen and will look for an option to heal.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

I might do that when i'm on deathhook and you're not. Or by mistake as i just hold W to get distance.

• kisfenkin

You just admitted that I am 100% right. "When a survivor and the killer are working together, the killer will let the survivor live in exchange for ratting out their teammates locations,"

That's what I have said multiple times, yet you still say, "no, you're wrong."

Which proves that you are trolling. Also against the forum rules. Good luck with that.

• Krazzik

I'm sorry you really don't seem to understand. In your example the killer is still hostile to the survivor. That's the key difference. If you can't get your head around the concept I don't know what to say.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited December 2022

Sharing the killer's attention isn't the same thing as teaming with them. Running up to a locker someone is hiding in and pointing, or bodyblocking a teammate to purposely prevent them from escaping the killer are examples of teaming. Leading them to your general area, on accident or on purpose, isn't the same thing. I think thats the point they're trying to make.

Edit: Also that teaming takes actually working together, I.E the killer "rewarding" betraying their team. What you're describing sounds more like its akin to sandbagging and/or griefing (which can still easily be against the rules, like the above examples,) teaming would be more symbiotic/coordinated by comparison.

• kisfenkin

Using bond to lead the killer directly to another survivor to shake the killer off, is cheating, working with the killer, and if you are doing it you are a CHEATER.

• kisfenkin

So, in your example you think the killer can magically read the mind of the survivor and vice versa to communicate that they won't kill the other etc. That's just flat out stupid. All it takes to be, "Working with the Killer" is to purposefully lead the killer to the other survivors. That's it. Then you are by definition working with the killer, whether the killer gives you hatch or let's you go is always entirely up to the them and you cannot possibly know if you will be rewarded but you will DEFINITELY know that you cheated when your teammates report your stupid cheating actions and you get banned for it.

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

Always run Bond.

1- you know whats goin on and wont accidentally run the killer to your team.

2-and most important, youll see the idiot runnin the killer right towards you and you will have time to hide or take some heat if you know how to run.

Bond (or Empathy if you have enough experience) are absolutely invaluable in solo q. Theyve saved my life more than any other perks.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,720

It's generally an accident, but also inevitable if on a good loop. If I manage to run the killer over a good portion of the map then likely I'm going to come across someone on a gen.

It's also not bad strategy in many occasions. If the chased is on death hook or needing to recharge dead hard it can be good to change targets. If a team is coordinated they can also really keep the killer from progressing by continually healing those not in a chase.

Example:

Survivor A found - chase - hit - chase - dead hard - chase - survivor B protection

Survivor B chase - dead hard - chase - survivor C protection

etc. with the people not in chases healing up.

And even if done foolishly, it's not against the rules. Working with the killer implies coordination - killer not hitting a survivor, survivor signaling the killer, prior team up, etc. While I wish the game had more of a team focus, BHVR has been pretty clear that if people don't want to work with the team, they don't have to. There are a few things survivors can't do (i.e. body block), but trying to shake a killer off via heading toward another survivor is definitely within the rules.

• Ryuhi

You can yell it as many times as you want, but again, I tried to make the nuance involved in whether it is sandbagging/teaming or not as clear as possible. Its one of multiple rules where severity and intent play a role in whether they constitute foul play or not.

• Ryuhi
    edited December 2022

Actual Teaming usually involves messaging when possible, without going into detail people will open communication channels or use gestures ingame to request or otherwise confirm with each other (similar to how people do it with farming requests.) If your definition is as loose as leading them to other survivors at all (note that purposely has been added, when bond does not even have to imply that.) Then you must include things like unsafe unhooks (they're leading the killer to the hook, after all) and pretty much any other bad play that does not diminish the killer's pressure directly.

Since this seems to be something that has been disproportionately bothering you, I would recommend running Empathy or Bond, and maybe Windows. The first two will give you a very good idea of where the killer is when in chase (especially if nearby) and will give you additional time to not end up in the path of an ongoing chase, and windows will make you better at having an escape plan for where to go quickly and efficiently to reduce the liklihood of the killer detaching after you. Just keep in mind if you make any remotely bad plays you will end up being the one accused of working with the killer, according to people like yourself. Cheers.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,927

Working with the killer is a very specific thing, they have to be working together for it to be reportable.

A survivor running Bond where the killer is not actively working with them, but that survivor running the killer to another survivor to save themselves is not reportable - this is where the team game becomes less of a team game and more of an individual move.

• Krazzik

Told ya so *smugface*

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Im afraid youre going to be banned because youre trolling, breaking the forum rules, and support cheating : ))

• Mandy
  • kisfenkin

Exactly how does a survivor work with the killer, then? Nobody has answered that without saying exactly that 'they lead the killer to the other survivors'... What's the difference? If a survivor running bond gets chased and leads the killer directly to another survivor over and over again, how is that not the very specific thing? What exactly is the very specific thing because not even you said what it was.

At the moment the number of people that are playing this outrageous way is so much, that many of us don't want to play survivor at all. It is the wrong move to support these bad actions and could you please bring that up with the team. We have to deal with hackers and gamebreaking bugs every other match, we shouldn't also have to fight our teammates.

• Mandy

Working with the killer is where survivors and killer conspire to get another survivor killed, where the killer actively won't attack the survivor they are working with.

A survivor running Bond and running the killer to other team mates in an attempt to save themselves is not reportable and can be part of the game, the choice in the game is to be solo after all as a survivor and you do not have to help your team if you wish.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

I'll dump the killer on someone else if I need to in order to survive, especially if it is late game or EGC.

There are times when it has 100% been the reason I survive.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,720

I believe, though am not 100% certain, it's against rules to lead a killer to a survivor to try and get a mercy or other thing from the killer. If I was to use the wave emote to signal a killer, then lead them to a hiding survivor, with the killer following me making no effort to attack, that's considered working together. If I'm being chased by a killer trying to hit me and I decide, whether rightly or wrongly, that my best chance is to lead them to another survivor they might want to target, it's fine within the rules.

IMO I wish BHVR did more to consider survivor's a team, such as rewards for escapes as a team, etc. However, they don't and it would be hard to enforce with certainty anyway.

Earlier you said that killers/survivors can't read each other's minds, but that's the standard. It has to be absolutely clear that the killer had no intention of killing one of the survivors and that survivor helped the killer find other targets.