The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Should the meta change every 3 months?

HPhoenix
HPhoenix Member Posts: 597
edited December 2022 in Polls

I may or may not be the only person that though of this but it may be healthy for the game if some of the most used perk to get changes from time to time. This would keep things fresh for the game and can give other perks time in the spotlight, in my opinion. I made an option for the meta to change in the mid-chapter since there has been changes to perks during those patches in the past. I would love nothing more than to hear your opinion once you make a decision or any comments really. :D

Writers note:

"Change meta every year (Around july" < I forgot to add this as a 4th option. If you think the meta need to be change once a year, do throw a comment weather the meta need to change yearly or not.

Should the meta change every 3 months? 37 votes

Change the meta every 3 months
29%
Blueberry[Deleted User]FeryGENBenOfMilamJustWhimsicalMaikeru_FurinBothSidesEnjoyerTheMruczekVicRatlheadRunningManFilux4 11 votes
Change the meta every mid-chapter
37%
musstang62HPhoenixbenkivrunkDyingWish92xni6_InvadeGamesOrangeBeartliffJylppynyixxiCharleeRoyalBladecinder_mb 14 votes
No, you silly Clown main! The meta is fine as it is!
32%
Mat_Sellamaximo99acAkitoViktor1256That_One_Friendjajay119AurelleGarlicRiceFrys_DogWindowsXPTatiana5Stangahoongas 12 votes
Post edited by HPhoenix on

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

If there were to be a regular meta-shift, I don't think that either of your proposed timeframes would really work. Maybe every year or so?

That's not to say that no changes should be made between the shakeups, but if you're talking about something like 6.1, that definitely shouldn't be happening with any real frequency.

• JustWhimsical
    JustWhimsical Member Posts: 590
    edited December 2022

I feel like the meta changes breathe some life into the game. Or just reworking old perks makes me so excited ohmygosh lightweight I used to never touch that perk, but now it is actually neat and I can put it on a build that actually helps me a lot. I want to feel that way about more perks, but it still feels like half the perks on survivor and killer are outdated.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

A small amount of perk changes/reworks every mid chapter, but a full blown meta shakeup should be once every year if that, maybe every two years

• HPhoenix

I knew I forgot to put "Yearly around July"

But yea, yearly is also an option. I should had fully woke up before writing this poll xD.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

I'd be pretty okay with a meta shakeup every year or so, even if it's smaller than 6.1 was.

One thing I would really like to see around midchapters is lesser-used perk overhauls, kinda like they're doing with the specific killer passes. Pick three or four perks, and revamp them in more detail than just a minor buff or tweak, to try and make them more appealing in the modern state of the game. They'd easily have a few patch's worth of contenders already.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I think the devs should focus on making weak perks viable and nerfing outright OP ones. I don't think it needs to be on any set schedule, because that would lead to making changes just to meet a deadline and not necessarily because the changes are good.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited January 2023

The goal should be buffing things that are too weak and nerfing things that are too strong to create more variety and options, not simply just trying to change the meta for the sake of something different.

Post edited by Blueberry on
  • Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

Can't see the poll options, forum has had a midlife crisis and stopped caring.

• HPhoenix

I'll be making another one after the mid-chapter drop to avoid spaming it.

That and I came up with other option lol.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Changing the meta should not be the priority.

They should work on balancing the game and respond what metas emerge, not deciding what the meta is going to be.

Players should have to play around with different builds and discover new metas and not just be able to read the patch notes and know what's meta without even playing.

• maximo99ac
    maximo99ac Member Posts: 164

The meta should change after a year and a half

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I don't have any idea of a precise timeline, but I think rather than hard nerfing the most popular perks (that are popular for a reason) regular reworks of unused perks would be really welcome. If players had better options they would probably be easier to convince to stray from safe bets.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

Why change the meta when you can try to make all perks equally good..?

• HPhoenix

I'll add that option for next time.

And yes, I agree with them making them equally good.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

3 months might be too much for huge mass perk changes especially with so much other new content. I would say small tweaks to a few things every 3 months and bigger changes meant to shift the meta every 6 months. It's been about 6 months since the big update and I think we've had our fill of gen kick meta atp.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

there shouldnt be change for the sake of change

I'd rather them stop thinking making noob/meme tier perks are okay and just make everything at least somewhat comparably viable.

• VicRatlhead
    VicRatlhead Member Posts: 75

Every 3 months feels a little short. 6 mo to a year would probably be better. I'd love to see them regularly tweak the most and least used perks to encourage different builds.

• lanaventus
    lanaventus Member Posts: 3

When resident evil came out with so many new perks it was a meta shift with reassurance

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 967

I think they could look into adapting the meta every now and then - but full on reworks are unviable.

Imo, the Survivor meta is pretty balanced and not OP at the moment. I'm not seeing anywhere as much use of Dead Hard, Prove Thyself etc these days. Also much less use of CoH and way more use of Self Care despite the massive nerf ironically.

I think the Killer meta could use a tweak tbh. There is a lot of use of Lethal Pursuer now. BBQ and Corrupt are as overused as they ever were - I'm not really bothered about those though as I feel the combining of gen locking/regression perks is more of an issue at the moment. Especially with the increase in killers who can teleport round the map/move round the map quickly enough to ensure three gens and therefore an endless game.

Tbh, I think the problem with Killers is the lack of variety in interesting perks. They need to really pull their finger out in the future to think outside the box to make that more fun in the future I think.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800

right now the meta is fine except for dead hard and eruption so i really hope they change these two perks again and buff a lot of other useless ones.

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2022

I don't think the meta changing is significant unless the core philosophy towards the concept of meta changes. BHVR nerfed Decisive Strike into the ground but buffed Off The Record because they still want surviors to dedicate a perk to anti-tunneling, but wanted to change the perk itself so that they could say the meta had changed and that the game was fresh. They didn't want to actually do anything about tunneling or the need for anti-tunneling perks. They changed gen regression from passive to an active, kicking playstyle. They're now pushing gen-rush perks in every DLC. The core hasn't changed, only the method. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ideally the game should be balanced so that so that there is no meta outside of the most tryhard tournament settings. Perks should be more about playstyle rather than "I need this to have a chance at winning, or to counter the utter nonsense my opponent has".

• That's an interesting subject but Every year we're losing more Killer perks if it goes like this there's nothing as meta it's just a thing that there is Like i played 5 games today and only one of them i got 3 kills the rest was 1 and 2 at best with Onryo so you see if we wanna talk about meta you can talk about survivor meta They have billions of perks to replace and they can still escape

• Batraidyn
    Batraidyn Member Posts: 101

None of the above meta is cringe just run perks you find fun I don't care if it's light born , Franklins or iron grasp if you're having fun run it. meta is just "ooo I wanna be like the CoOl KiDs and kick Gens and hold the match hostage 1hr+ until everyone DC's🥲"