What do you think about Great skillchecks?

MrMori
MrMori Member Posts: 1,440
edited January 2023 in General Discussions

How often do you try to hit them? How many do you actually hit when you try to hit them? Do you find them fun?

To me it feels so random whether I get them or not, like sometimes I hit 6 in a row without a problem, other times I struggle to hit 2 in a row. I think what I hate the most is the randomness of how frequently you get them, and the randomness of the timing after the skillcheck appears, sometimes it's slow other times fast.

I keep trying to hit them but I don't feel like I'm getting much better, not that I'm bad at hitting them in the first place.

Comments

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482

I hit greats probably 80-85% of the time just playing normal. I’ve found it much easier on M&K.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,137
    edited January 2023

I don't feel like I get better at them. I have the same thing where sometimes I get a bunch in a row and then I won't be able to hit one to save my life. That's on PS4. On Switch, greats are damn near impossible to hit on purpose because the skill check timing changes due to the inconsistent single-digit fps.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,493

M&K is too easy. Skill checks should be made smaller on pc so it would be more equal between console and pc.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 542

they should freeze the screen and drop the FPS to like 2 so PC players can get the console skillcheck experience, would make greats feel more rewarding.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

The best is the enemy of the good. I don't typically go for them by fear of messing up the timing and losing progression...

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I usually don't try to go for them because, ya know, Console.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,974

No because people have different keyboards, mouses and PC stats. Every single PC player will have a different experience playing the game

Console is console, it should be the same for all.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482

Just get a pc lmao. I paid a lot of money for a better gaming experience. 😂

• Exor
    Exor Member Posts: 256

I play on PC but never bothered to get good at them before and usually hit them 40% of the time, but after using the hyperfocus/stake out, and now fogwise, build I got pretty good at them and usually hit the normal greats 100% of the time if I focus and 5-6 hyperfocus token greats 90% of the time.

I kinda dislike hyperfocus for being able to cut 20+s off a gen with no toolbox, but boy did it make skillchecks fun again.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,412

Yeah Switch is a joke for trying to hit greats. I see people talking up Hyperfocus and Fogwise and I'm just like yeah, have fun with those everyone lol they're easier to hit on the PS5 but I really only play killer on that

• CheesyBabyBoi
    CheesyBabyBoi Member Posts: 234

Tough love; this is a newbie struggle, and you'll get more and more used to it over time

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

Don't think about it. After awhile you'll just hit em all the time. Let it become a natural reaction. Seriously, the more you think about it, the more you'll miss.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
  • Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I hit them more than I hit good skillchecks, I think - I don't keep count of course.

I've been playing for thousands of hours and when old ruin was a thing it was a huge benefit if you could hit great skillchecks. Plus, you used to get 1s off the gen everytime you did, whereas nowadays it's 0.5 seconds I think - so I'd aim for them for that reason too.

It also helps that I'm at a high (consistently smooth) FPS and have the UI large. I've played dbd on the switch and the input lag + low fps makes it practically impossible to hit great skillchecks (in my short time playing). So I'd only aim for them if I were you if you have smooth, high and consistent FPS.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I play on PC but use a controller and I would say I probably hit them 60-65% of the time but I also don't actively try to hit them unless I'm using fogwise then it's probably around 75%.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

I ll have games where I hit them consecutively and others not at all. Kinda depends on how the game is going. If under pressure, I ll play it safe instead of risking a miss and giving away position. Id say I hit great around 6/7 out of 10 (console)

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Ping is a huge part of it. Sometimes I get into a game with super low ping and I can get multiple great shillchecks pretty easily, but some lobbies I struggle to get just one.

Course it doesn't really make a big difference unless you have perks that require greats. Some people make out like you save heaps of time by hitting a lot of greats but without Hyperfocus it's far more important to just not fail any.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Some days I seem to hit all, others I don't seem to but I don't really try that much to actually hit them either

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 460

I try to hit the inner part of the Great range. If I'm late, it doesn't result in an explosion. This is on PS4, though, so it's more about going for greats but being cautious about it. I don't trust the input lag. Oppression skill checks don't seem to freeze anymore, I will say. If my team is winning, it's just better to hit normal skill checks.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Not really when I finally got my new gaming PC I find it many times better experience playing on it than console.....and I don't have to buy a new console when a new one is realsed just need to upgrade parts. But that's my opinion and everyone has their own opinion on the Console vs PC wars.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,493

I would lose my account so I can't. So im hoping they would make it more fair at least they should do better optimization. I think hug tech and oni 180s and 360s on survivor should be removed or they should make them work on console. I quit playing Oni given how massive disadvantage I had compared pc Oni and then when I finally get hit it denied by survivor doing a spin.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,440
    edited January 2023

I have over 1900 hours. My brain wasn't cut out for this stuff. Not that I'm bad at them, I'm just inconsistent at them, and I dislike that very much.

Yeah, I've kind of found that too. Logically, it's not actually worth it to go for greats, since if you miss that's far worse than hitting even 10 greats in a row. I'll just keep playing and let them come when they feel like it.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

On healing/gens? Good

On wiggling? Shouldn't be a thing

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I do hit them quite frequently, probably a leftover of having to deal with old Ruin (altough I reckon I lost some finesse since those days).

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

But how would pleb me then be able to hit any of them? :V

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

gives you something to do on a gen if youre semi consistent on hitting them

im on ps5, and ever since i got a low latency moniter ive been hitting a lot of them fairly easily

• Ciabe
    Ciabe Member Posts: 119

On pc (120 fps monitor with unlocked frame rate) I try to hit them usually but only succeed about 10%. 5% of time I go early and explode. I have not improved at this at all even with hundreds of hours and practicing out of game on trainer websites. It feels totally random and unfair. I also choose not to play rythem video games because I fail at even easy mode of those.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    edited January 2023

In my experience on console it's very much dependent on how the game is currently running. But, like you, I can hit 5+ in a row and then not hit any the rest of the trial.

I try to hit them the majority of the time unless I am healing another survivor, in which case I aim for good so I don't accidentally **** it up and alert the killer. It's very embarrassing when that happens lol

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188

on K and M is extremely easy to hit them, i normally just hit greats because are easy but i may not risk it in certain scenarios the only thing i hate are random skillchecks while leaving the gen, many times that costed me games