The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What Else Can Be Done For Solo Queue?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
edited January 2023 in General Discussions

As we've got the new icons coming in, it'll be interesting to see if it makes much of a difference.

Aside from letting people see each other's perks at the lobby phase (this really, really needs to happen so we don't end up with 4x Kindreds and 3x CoH's) - is there anything that can be done to help get solo up closer to SWF levels, which will make balancing the game 100% easier - because I cannot think of anything.

Oh wait.

One thing.

Remove self unhooks outside of Deliverance, and rework relevant perks if needed.

Oh and make the DC timer only decay when you play matches without DCing.

So...2 things.

Comments

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

Showing the perks everyone is running should definitely be a thing. Not even to just stop 4 of same perk but so when I'm running Wake Up my teammate understands why I'm pointing to let me open it faster. Would let you know why teammate is likely in locker - perk or just their home. Also seeing players items/add ons would be nice so I know the person with a tool kit is doing gens or wasting time doing sabo challenge.

Chat wheel with basic stuff like "I'm going for unhook", "focus on gens", "killer camping me", "for the love of the entity please leave because I need 3 people to leave while I'm still alive" - basic things you could tell a swf that solo can't. Also have feature that puts it on cool down for anyone that starts spamming it to be annoying.

• StarLost

I'd actually love a chat/emote wheel. Especially for 'there's a Ghostface looking at you, RUN' or 'that's Wraith, don't get...oh you got grabbed'.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I'd want one that says "watch out for that" so I could use it anytime someone steps in a trap. It's what my swf teammate and I say to eachother when we step in traps so definitely would bring solo up to swf level. 😂

• GRIG0
    GRIG0 Member Posts: 308

I remember i played IdentityV once which is similar, and I tried to save my teammate at the end and he used a chat option (there's like a chat wheel) to tell me to not try it and leave.

I'd like a few options like that, to tell my teammates to leave and don't risk it, etc. But not voice chat or stuff like that, just specific dialogs.

Also, I'd love to see killer emotes and the thumbs up at the endgame doing something useful like giving extra BP or a notification to the player :)

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308

If they want to keep going down the path icons are the start of, a quick chat/message wheel for actions that can't really be detected by an automatic system would be a natural next step. Stuff like "I'm going for the save", "Killer nearby, watch out" and so on.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

The best buff can ever give to Solo right now is giving a keyshortcut to press showing a sticker "STOP DOING GEN" when Im about to get down with Eruption.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Other than disagreeing about the self-unhook thing

Let us see ping in the lobby

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

I'm starting to not see the value in the 4% attempt. At this point it is just an excuse to get around the DC timer. If you have deliverance it can just I've you an activation prompt.

• StarLost

It would stop suicides, and that's...literally half of my solo queue losses.

I don't think killers need buffing relative to solos. And this will be the tiniest of the tiny buffs to SWFs.

Bingo!

• StarLost

I don't think this game is balanced for solos at all. If anything, 6.1.0 moved the balance a bit closer to SWF/killer.

Like...before patch:

Solo << Killer <<< SWF

After 6.1.0

Solo <<< Killer << SWF.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Okay.

If you remove self-unhooks, DC's and AFK's will rise.

• StarLost

Which is why I also made a suggestion about DCs. AFKs...honestly, just DC the person after they get 3 crows.

But at least with an AFK, the killer can get some points.

• Something that coordinates better against Cenobite on who has box duty. It's either no one getting the box or 3 people running for the box. Maybe the gen icons will help in that regard.

Also something that I can convey at my teammates to stop doing that gen or else we'll 3 gen or leave it 99 once the 3 gen gets broken.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

Give the person on the hook something to do while hooked, like make the killer's aura visible for them when in a small range + incorporate voice chat into the base game, so they can act as coordinator.

And then just rebalance the game with those things in place.

I think if you place the emphasis on team play early on constantly the game will move to a better place. Trying to make a solo survivor viable for anything other then skill building seems like a dead end to me, and a source of frustration.

In short, if you don't want to voice with players, expect to be limited to learning tiles and dying with the rest of your team.

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

Something a little outside the box that could be really good if people used it.... an in game tutorial mode on advanced tactics. Soooo many players lack some of the skills that are vital to playing this game. There are tons of great tutorials on youtube, but a lot of players aren't gonna watch em or don't know where to look. If there was something in game that maybe gave shards or somethin for completing it, might be a nice stepping stone to bridging the skill gap....or at least get people thinking about the more tactical elements of the game.

• DylanLives
    DylanLives Member Posts: 13

As someone who has played a lot of solo queue and as Killer, I am completely fine with Kindred being basekit, it is especially helpful for solo queue to avoid having 2-3 people all going for an unhook or worse, risking a hook state on the assumption that someone else will save the hooked survivor. I could see this getting messy with SWF, but even with that they'd be calling the killer out anyways

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

Let's see how these changes affect things before jumping into more, shall we?

• StarLost

Eh, Kindred sees use even in very experienced comp teams.

Baseline...you'd have to lose the killer aura, to start.

• Vandral83
    Vandral83 Member Posts: 4

I'd like to see a solo queue bonus. You queue in not tied to a group and you get a small percentage boost to BP gains. It won't change the amount of stomping your're about to receive, but seeing 5-10k bp gain at the end of a beatdown is super discouraging. It I at least saw that I got some decent BP from a slugfest crapshoot of a match, it's a little easier to swallow. And yes, I know people will say, who cares about BP, well, new players do.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

I think the value is a myth. I have literally never kobe'd in several hundred hours of playing !

... I don't really try to often I guess. But just from killing myself on hook to give a chance at hatch to the last teammate, I should have racked up a certain number of attempts, like... at least 60. Still no kobe =(

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

Nobody should see your Perks!

DbD isn't a Comp Game, it's a CASUAL Game! You're not an Esports Pro you're some random person playing DbD! And "Comp" DbD is full of made up rules already, meaning they're not part of the game but you people want all the crazy BS to actually be part of the game!?

Have you people ever watched "Comp" DbD? It's a snooze fest of tunneling and camping and gen rush.

Why do you people keep asking for things that should not exist? Why do you keep asking for SWEATY things to exist and then complain when people play SWEATY!?

IT'S NOT A GAME MEANT TO BE SWEATY! Nobody has fun in sweaty matches!

• lemonsway

You want to see the game in a healthier state and to help SoloQ? Start by admitting MMR was a colossal mistake. That alone will bring in all the players that left, you'll see more players, faster queues, more people willing to play SoloQ. Then start fixing your game. Fix maps, ACTUALLY NERF NURSE INSTEAD OF GIVING HER BILLION BLINKS AGAIN. BUFF ALL M1 KILLERS and GIVE SURVIVORS SOME OTHER WAY OF WORKING ON GENS INSTEAD OF JUST HOLDING M1.

The game is boring and lacks interactibility. Fix this and the game will feel brand new and fun.

The 2 and half years we've wasted on MMR tests and implentation can be saved...

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,434

Add perks to the status HUD. If someone is on hook and has an active Deliverance, show the Deliverance in the little circle. Same if someone is downed and has UB.

If that doesn't make sense because it's not an action, let survivors "Ping" a perk they have, displaying it next to their character HUD.

• StarLost

Says...who, exactly?

And why does 'casual game' mean 'don't ever improve or balance anything'?

Why does showing your team your perks make this game less casual? It actually helps casual players - you know, people who don't have teams to coordinate. I'm not sure what your definition of casual game means either - because even playing casually, I still want to win.

Comp DbD...sure? But find me any organized tournament that doesn't have house rules.

Either I'm getting jaded in my old age, or this entire post reads like 'if my opponents are trying to win, that's not fair'.

• SBMM helps solo queue.
    • MMR is better for casuals than RBMM. Infinitely better.
    • Why does MMR make the game less casual?
    • So...you basically mean 'make a completely different game'?
  • lemonsway

I want the game to be Balanced but it either is Balanced for Casual or it's Balanced for Competitive and sadly the game is neither because it doesn't know what it wants to be.

The basic mechanics are simple, so simple in fact that Looping as we know it was never even intended to exist, it came after players discovered they could go around structures and killers couldn't catch them and that's even before infinite loops existed, i'm talking about the power of Shift + W alone... So at the very core the game is a simple Hide & Seek. That never changed, BHVR never updated the basic core of the game to reflect whatever it evolved into. BHVR admitted this already.

The game was never designed for 4 coordinated people either. BHVR has admitted this so manny times. It was meant for 4 strangers with no coordination to find a way to survive. Cause that's the scary part of the scary game that DbD is meant to be.

SWF only ever came to be after the whole core of the game existed. That completly changes the whole Balance of the game.

SBMM does not help soloQ at all. Look at what MMR has done the past year and half, look at the playerbase dropping drastically .... SBMM does not help any game at all. SBMM only exists to limit peoples ability to win by forcing you into matches where the chances of you winning get smaller and smaller.

SBMM rigs matches against players who are good and win more often than other players. Why do you think Good Survivor Players stopped doing SoloQ? Because they were being matched with inferior survivors that drastically lowered their chances of survival.

The only option for those players to keep winning is to SWF with people who have the same or a better understanding of the game.

In theory MMR would actually put you in matches with those people BUT BHVR made onle one MMR Cap and that value is a low value that even Potatoes can reach easily, thus everything becomes very diluted because after that Cap everyone is essentially High MMR because that's the only existing Cap. There's no Cap seperating me or your from Otz, Dowsey, etc, etc except the initial Cap that you'll reach in a couple of matches. There's a bare minimum entry level and then everyone is the same. Skill is completly irrelevant.

Imagine it's like a bar. If the minimum age entry is 18 then if you're 18 or 100 years old it doesn't matter you're allowed to enter because you've reached the minmum required entry age. That's MMR in DbD. It doesn't matter if anyone has 4534050346503450836 MMR or 1 MMR if 1 MMR is the level required then both 4634867389 MMR and 1 MMR can get queued together. And this is what has happened and why? BECAUSE EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET MATCHES.

SO IN ORDER FOR EVERYONE TO GET MATCHES MMR BECOMES IRRELEVANT. Connection quality becomes irrelevant aswell.

Due to the disparity in Population on both roles, lower MMR killers are being thrown against SWF's because everybody has to get a match going or else they can't play and if they can't play then they won't be in DbD.

MMR has been the single worst decision ever made but they've spent so manny resources and time on this that it's basicly impossible for them to do anything else.

No only do players hate MMR and any form of SBMM, ask CoD, Battlefield and any other players from any other game with SBMM on it, but MMR itself sabotages the matchmaking when there aren't enough players.

Why do you think BHVR created the Role Bonus BP? To convince people to play the other role. Why do you see the Bonus BP mostly on Survivor? Because MMR has ruinned SoloQ thus there's less and less survivors in SoloQ thus the BP Bonus being mostly on Survivor.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

The devs had a pretty good idea four and a half years ago... (3:40)

Too bad qt π Horvath is no longer with the team.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199
    edited January 2023

Remove self unhooks outside of Deliverance, and rework relevant perks if needed.

I've yet to see a suggested alternative to this that I'd be happy with and didn't remove some aspect of the game.

Slippery Meat exists and if anything, we need more things to synergise with this, more ways to 'acquire luck'. Being able to 'kobe' shouldn't be taken away, and being able to 'kobe' without consequence isn't viable either.

Oh and make the DC timer only decay when you play matches without DCing.

Eh... sometimes turning the game off and doing something else for a few days is a good way for people to chill out, calm down and get over any burn out that caused them to DC. Maybe playing games without DCing should expedite the penalty decay, but not be the only way for it to decay.

Otherwise, I agree with showing perks, so that other survivors can work around each others perks instead of against them, but in the lobby? Jury is still out on that one. At the very least, from the info screen after the match has started.

As for anything else, basekit Kindred would be too much, because auras are more precise information than SWF has access to. So basekit Kindred would be a significant buff to SWF as well. However something similar, but that worked like 'killer instinct' a vague direction instead of a definite aura. That could work.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,159

I think the hugest thing should be designing Killers and Perks around the basis of SoloQ and SWF, using designs that work for both and is not overly oppressive to one particular group; Eruption for example, is a poorly design perk that is in the meta due to it being extremely oppressive against SoloQ, but the perk is useless against SWF.

Showing the Perks of teammates at the start of a Trial or during a Trial in the pause menu can help a lot more perks be useful as well. Perks like Deliverance will start to become more desirable, and meme builds such as Flip Flop + Power Struggle can finally be used without teammates wasting the pallet you are a sitting on, etc.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583
    • Perks in lobby? Maybe.
    • No self-unhooks? Tempting and the reason is obvious but I'm not sure it's for the best.
    • Decay only if playing without DCing? Absolutely, yes.
  • drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583
    edited January 2023

About the MMR making the game less casual, I've thought about it earlier.

Today I've played a lot of Nurse game without perk nor addon. I've still won several games but it was, obviously, more difficult. I've also lost more games that I would have with a better build. (e.g. even a single perk, like Franklin). I've wondered if my MMR went down a bit with the losses (probably). Then it occurred to me:

The next patch will nerf the Nurse. In effect it will make her already not so great kill rate go even lower.

Nurses who were able to win without these perks will still win.

Nurses who needed the perks will lose more and their MMR will go down. Not being incompetent, they'll massacre lower-MMR (more casual) players they would not usually go against.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,833

Showing perks before matches would lead to lobby dodging, just like showing old ranks did before & showing prestige does now. Showing survivor perks during matches (on pause screens or w/e) is a buff for killers since the game doesn’t actually stop when players “pause” it. Now you’ve got survivors idling to see what perks their teammates have. Yeah, no.

The 4% chance needs to remain in game. It has perks and items revolving around it, and the last thing survivors need are more useless perks nerfed even more. If people fail to unhook themselves and die oh well. Make a game that players don’t want to quit playing, I guess.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I think they either need to let survivors see what perks each other are using, or at LEAST show a lot more perks when they're relevant.

If someone has Deliverance and it's active and they're on first hook, it should appear next to their hook icon for all other survivors. Otherwise someone across the map is gonna leave their gen, head across the map only for the person to use Deli and now they've wasted valuable time they coulda been on a gen.

Same thing if someone is slugged and they have Unbreakable. It should show up for all other survivors so they know they don't have to go get them.

Could even show Adrenaline when only one gen remains.

Like I said it'd be better if they just flat out showed all survivor perks but if they insist on not doing that, there's still a lot they can do.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

Realistically speaking, nothing.

You could literally give every single meta perk to all SoloQ players and they would still be completely wiped out with 4 gens remaining. The only thing that could make SoloQ at least playable would be a proper skill based matchmaking. But as long as your 10k hour Blights with the most busted addons and the Midwich only Starstruck prestige 100 Nurses are sealclubbing 10 hour Megheads, no amount of change will solve anything. Sure, one or two matches will be less frustrating, but SoloQ is dead for the rest of this game's lifetime. They should just remove it altogether and save everyone a lot of trouble.

• MrsMaliciousX
    MrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 736

I actually think that in swf groups there shouldn't be allowed to have dup perks. If they wanna run a swf they should all have different perks. So that way it's not as bad on the killer. I may play mostly survivor but that doesn't mean I don't understand the killer struggles, I used to play 50 50 I can only assume it's gotten worse. But yeah no dup perks and no dup items.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 553

Showing the perks of other survivors will do far more damage than good.

It will lead to constant lobby dodging my teammates because someone isn't running something they deem appropriate until your left with only players who play "acceptable" meta perk solo groups that killers will constantly complain about or those groups of survivors who are happy to play with anything groups, i'd be in the second group & still do pretty well (as I already do without meta)

But killing a great deal of survivor variety while still complaining killers rarely use any variety seems like a step back to me personally.

I agree things like unbreakable & deliverance should have some kind of indication in addition to the other survivor icons

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436

Thats not your decision to decide for everyone else however.

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2023

Updating more perks to show a notification when relevant in the match. Perks like Deliverance, Unbreakable, Solidarity, Head On, and Wake Up are the ones that come to mind.

They could also show survivor perks on the offering screen when in a game. I'm kind of torn on that suggestion though. I think it would feel clunky to use, and you would have survivors doing nothing while also possibly being oblivious to what is happening around them. This could be fixed by assigning a new button that toggles loadouts on/off on the side of the screen, similar to the new archive tracker being added.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    • Show other survivor perks not just in the lobby, but when you open the menu (or somewhere small in-game UI).
    • Improve matchmaking
    • Not sure...

Side note: I wonder if people will start communicating e.g., by using the gen icon. Tapping it in quick succession 3 times = "you go get the unhook!" etc.

• StarLost

Think of it this way.

I've had a kobe actually get me an escape...honestly, never. But I can imagine it being a vanishingly tiny chance.

On the other hand, at least 25% of my losses in solo queue are directly because of a super early suicide.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638