Can I please get my Pop Goes the Weasel back?

Options
GlamourousLeviathan
GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 976
edited February 2023 in General Discussions

So Eruption is dead, Ruin is extinct, Dead Man's Switch is gone, Thanatophobia is destroyed and Pop Goes the Weasel has been burned to ash. To be honest, the one I miss the most is Pop Goes the Weasel and the thing is, out of these perks, it was the least complained about.

Seriously, back in the day, there weren't many survivors who would whine about Pop Goes the Weasel. I get it that the devs thought it was reasonable to nerf it because they thought it might be overwhelming because of the extra 10 seconds to generators, but it's pretty clear that those extra seconds didn't make much of a difference.

That's why I want to revert the Pop Goes the Weasel nerf. It was really my favorite perk for a long time and to see the state it is in is just depressing. Hell, you don't even need to change it back to 25% of total progression, just make it 20% of total progression instead of the current progression to make it at least usable.

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,549
    edited February 2023
    Options

Old Pop + Pain Resonance combined for 40% regression per hook was too much.

I wouldn't mind if Pop had a 10% minimum damage floor or something like that though (eg. if 20% of current progress is 10% or less, then you get 10% flat, otherwise you get 20% of current if it's more). That way, Pop always does SOMETHING regardless of which gen you use it on.

Post edited by sizzlingmario4 on
  • TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531
    Options

It honestly was, but I don’t think it’s completely dead, just outclassed by superior perks atm. With the additional 2.5 progress that’s always taken off, Pop still has some kick to it. Just not as much, obviously.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

I guess that they're not gonna do that because there's too much stacking available on gen regression, especially when applied with gen kicks.

However, the stacking is an issue they've created and I don't think just number nerfs, like for pop, is the way to solve it.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    Options

Na na na, firstly we need to destroy Pain Resonance too. Buffs for Killer-Perks? U cant be serious, this is BHVR we are talking about. Holding Hands is the newest hobby in this dev-team. And bringing Auric-Cell-only cosmetics.

• Notionless
    Notionless Member Posts: 243
    Options

one way I'd love for the nerf to have happened was just by massively reducing the time you have while pop stays active:

for the next 20 or 25 seconds for example.

This would reward skilled gameplay since it brings value the faster you get the down and the less a survivor was able to run away from the active gen.

Like other ppl mentioned, the problem arises once you consider how well it stacks with other perks. IMO pain resonance & co need to be adjusted first before they can consider buffing ruin and pop back up to having some utility.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,790
    edited February 2023
    Options

They didn't do the 6.1.0 overhaul because of specific perk complaints. Like, no one complained about the already bad Self Care and that still got nerfed even further. That overhaul was purely about taking the most used perks and making them less appealing, while trying to make lesser used perks more appealing for the sake of variety.

• Canas
    Canas Member Posts: 1,021
    Options

The greed is very much real. Pretty much every new cosmetic release recently was only available for auric cells and nothing else. Also despite claiming that they'd give us iridescent shard prices for skins that are over a month old there are still several skins in this game which are locked behind an auric cell paywall. Just take a look at Dredge for instance, his doll skin is still auric cell only.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    edited February 2023
    Options

As others said, no, imagine having that fun and interactive 40% regression back when combined with PR

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,160
    Options

TCM has 3 killers I hope it forces 2 killer mode on dbd.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800
    Options

they're doing a bunch of characters at a time they started with the og 4 Survivors and the last midchapter was feng, ace, clown i think? so they'll catch up to dredge and others eventually.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options

Ensure that the PGTW/PR combo doesn't just delete 40% of a gens progress and absolutely.

Nerf PR and bring PGTW back though, because PGTW was far healthier and more engaging than PR is because it requires killers to actively leave the hook and kick the gen whereas PR gets value just by camping and hoping survivors trade.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    edited February 2023
    Options

So PR currently takes 13.5 seconds off a gen to match that the gen you use PGTW on as to be at 75% progress and it out preform PR at percentages higher than that.

Let's say for the sake of argument the average gen is 50% complete. If you pain res first the gen goes back to 35% and now let's say they let go and keep working on it until you get there and that takes about 10 seconds and then they run away and you use pop on the gen. When you get there the gen should be at roughly 46% progress. If you pop that gen it will take away 8.3 seconds of progress or roughly 9% meaning it's basically the same as jolt. Except instead of just downing a survivor near the gen you had to down them hook them and walk over to the gen and kick it.

But that aside that gives you on average a combined 21.8 seconds of regression for completing a chase, picking up and getting them on a scourge hook and then walking over and kicking the gen. I'm gonna make a wild guess and say that all takes much longer than 21.8 seconds. Now granted you can run CoB with it and maybe then it gets stupid but that would just show how we're currently oversaturated with regression perks at the moment.

My take away from this is you could buff pain res/pop combo by buffing pop and it would be fine but other regression perks would have to be tweaked to compensate. The ability to stack 4 slowdowns will always keep individual perks from shining like they could.

tl;dr is pop is mediocre rn but you would need to nerf other regression perks to buff pop because there's so many options now.

EDIT: Just want to add for reference that pop/pain averages out to 24.2% of a gen so it won't even reach old Pop levels at the moment most of the time. Pop is looking worse and worse the more math I do.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,653
    Options

No, even 40% regression of the combo was reasonable if the killer took his time to get each down.

How on earth would that be reasonable in any way?

• Canas
    Options

Jolt only triggers on m1 attacks so it's pretty much garbage on killers with m2 abilities.

• Canas
    Options

M2 killers prefer to get their downs with their abilities, anything else is just an invitation to get looped for 5 gens.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    Options

40% repair is 36 seconds of a solo repairing it. As a killer, having a chase last only around 36 seconds is normally due to survivors incompetence. That means that for every average down of an average killer, the survivor will still have a surplus on that gen. Of course, this only applies to one gen, and two and three survivors on the same gen can repair the 40% regression much faster.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,132
    edited February 2023
    Options

Idk. I’m red rank as a killer, but I’ve never had an issue with downing with nemesis, hag, billy, wraith, clown, spirit, legion, shape, doctor, pig, nightmare, ghostface, oni, executioner, carmina, dredge, or wesker. 🤷🏻‍♂️

only killer that gives me grief for not using the power is nurse. But then again gen slowdown on a nurse is unnecessary.

guess all the m2 killers are the ones i haven’t bought yet.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

The other problem with Jolt is that it destroys any possible synergy with kick perks.

If Killer perks were designed like survivor perks - getting a Jolt would apply Overcharge to any affected generator.

Imagine if Survivor perks were designed like killer perks. Stake out would not affect Hyperfocus. Any generator speed repair perk such as Prove Thyself, Potential Energy, Hyperfocus, etc. would not stack the repair speed because killers would find that oppressive. It would only take the most bonus and then cap it in some way. Added 20% progress From PE - ok you cant use any stacks from Fast Track or use a BNP.

Try using Jolt now on a nurse. It's literally a dead perk.

The best generator protection in DBD is tunneling out the first person you down. This was necessary before the hud changes and before Eruption got neutered.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

I feel overall TCM could be garbage and it would make DBD killers want to play it. Why? Because you can play that mode with a friend. Now if DBD stays in a sorry state for the next 6 months where nobody wants to play killer then it will just Bleed players as nobody plays the already more rare role. Before 6.1 we had regular instances where there were ~50 killers in queue for some regions with 4500 survivors in queue.

If they want to Buff killers to current survivor levels - I am expecting things like all killers without a movement power will now be 120% base speed.

I suggested years ago the developers make a killer that requires two people to play it with a sort of Tag Team power. Imagine for example if Twins were only playable by two people. If She is active then victor cant attack. But he can grab on to you and make generator checks be constant : merciless storm. If you are running he snares you as if you are constantly in Clown Gas.

Every Twins game would be played against two killers on voice coms. Now I am not suggesting we rework the twins like this but rather a killer that takes two people to play could have been introduced.

Lots and lots of people wanted 2 vs 8 but the developers decided instead to make the game "pretty". And then they realized they needed to remove the fog for consoles. At that point the game lost any hope of stealth being part of the game.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,334
    Options

Congrats on being red rank. I'm suprised you make a post about a game that you didn't play in 1 1/2 years. If you don't know what I mean, there is no such thing as ranks anymore. It's grades now and they have no impact on your matches whatsoever. They're not an indicator of skill but play time per month.

Also funny how you make a list that consists of more than 50% M1 killers for this argument. M1 killers are designed to hit with a normal attack. Everything else they have serves as a helping hand so that they can get the hit a bit easier.

Playing M1 Billy is not only incredibly weak but also boring. You are a killer with mobility that is very reliant on maps and.... nothing else. Wow, great. If you are in the very fortunate position where you can always decide how you want to down a survivor, then that tells me a lot about the people you play against. Mainly that they are not very good.

• wydyadoit
    edited February 2023
    Options

🤷🏻‍♂️ i had to work and wanted to play other games. Red ranks weren’t much harder to get. Grades might be a “grind”, but the fact that emblems haven’t changed their point system (still 16 points max for 4 iridescence medals and max 2 pips i mean) makes it so that it still takes the same amount of time if you average out about the same amount of medal quality points. So I don’t see your point? So what if my red ranks are from before the grade system. My grades are red also? (When i find time to play at least.)

or do you have a better way to indicate knowledge of the game?

• GlamourousLeviathan
    Options

You have two options with Dead Man's, either you are an Artist or you have Pain Resonance on your build. That's because the time the gens get block is the rest of the duration of the perk, not a fixed amount, which means that if you cant get survivors out of gens immediately after hooking, you're only gonna get a small amount of blocking time.

Artist can do fine with it because she can quickly fire crows to 3 different gens and get them all blocked if survivors aren't careful. The other option is pairing with Pain Resonance which makes survivors leave the most repaired gen in a way that blocks it with Dead Man's Switch, but the bad part is that now with the new HUD changes survivors can easily avoid this combo, making it basically useless.

The final nail in the coffin was the Dead Man's nerfed timer. Those extra seconds really hurt the perk, which made it more reliant on Pain Resonance than ever.

• Xernoton
    Options

Good to see you actually meant ranks and grades. Many people do mix that up. However, I can't say that red ranks where all that impressive either. I saw so many people in rank 1 or 2 that were just bad. It became a bit of a meme how many potatoes you'd still see in red ranks. Ranks did influence the matchmaking but you still saw a huge variety in skill.

I always find it a bit strange when people need to back up their arguments by saying: Ohh, I'm high MMR / red rank or whatever. Just make your point and give a plausible explanation.

• wydyadoit
    edited February 2023
    Options

Videogame communities are meritocracies at their core. Regardless of points - if one has no experience it usually ends in a debate about ranks. I do believe that one can have knowledge without rank, but it’s hard to believe someone that can’t provide some form of merit. It’s not like we write academic papers with credible source material on the topics. So it helps to preface with rank 🤷🏻‍♂️ if one has it.

edit

also - i feel like it helps provide reinforcement for my generalized statements. I spend some time researching, but struggle to memorize exact numbers since they’re always changing. For some things i generalize as a way to avoid incorrect numbers as that is often an easy target to pick apart any advice it seems - as I’ve experienced it enough times to know. But regardless i know “the feeling” as it were.

• Xernoton
    Options

That's the other issue. Everyone here could claim to be red ranks / top MMR. Hell, I could tell you I had the highest MMR ranking of all killers (which I'm sure isn't true). Most people aren't as good as they think. Have you seen how many posts there are of self-proclaimed "high MMR" players? This adds nothing to the argument because you never know, if it's true.

• wydyadoit
    edited February 2023
    Options

fair enough. I can show you my current ranking, but I don’t think i have my ranks from previous years. Let me check.

edit

i do not. Only my current rank from a screenshot i took yesterday or maybe the day before complaining about adept disconnects.

• scenicpickle
    scenicpickle Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2023
    Options

Ahhh yes i do play lots of artist :D good point i suppose it is pretty niche then i do find success with freddy and knight as well with certain addons