What's the difference between total progres and current progress

Options
XLuka8001
XLuka8001 Member Posts: 36
edited February 2023 in General Discussions

Apparently it is what killed pop and what will kill eruption. When i first returned to this game i didn't understand why people were saying pop was useless now just because it does 5% less damage but apparently it is much worse than that. So can someone please explain to me exactly what the difference between "current" gen progress and "total gen progress" is?

Comments

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Total progress is how much it is of the TOTAL 90s a gen needs. So, 25% of total progress would be 22s more gen time needed.

Current progress is how much it is of the CURRENT time spent on a gen. So if the gen is nearly completed, that 25% would be nearly as good. But if the gen is only half completed, then it's only 11s more time needed on the gen, and if it was a quarter completed, it's only 5s more.

It makes the effect worse and worse the less completed the gen is. The problem being, obviously, that nearly-complete gens tend to finish before the Killer can get to them. At least Pop still does a big chunk. Eruption's going to do things like 5s if the gen's half complete. Picking someone up under hook and hooking them is 5s.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,080
    Options

Let's say a gen is 75% done.

If you took 10% total progress, it would be 65% done.

If you took 10% current progress, it would be 67.5% done (10% of 75 is 7.5).

Personally, I think current % regression is healthier and easier to balance around since it means the killer gets less value out of gens that don't have much progress so it's harder for killers to stack regression to fully reset progress. I think a problem with the Eruption change is that unlike Pop which went from 20% total to 25% current, Eruption got no buff to compensate the change from total to current.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,418
    edited February 2023
    Options

Total progress refers to the 90 charges needed to complete a gen. If that's hit with a 10% instant regression, that's 9 charges, ie., 9 seconds, always.

Current progress refers to the amount of charges already applied to the gen, say 50 out of the 90 needed. If that gets it with that same 10% instant regression, it's 5 charges, so 5 seconds.

Pop Goes is a particularly noteworthy example here, as the 25% of total progress was a flat 20 charges gone, always. Whereas now that can be anywhere between 1 to 20, depending on how far along the gen was.

I may have the specific numbers wrong, but that's roughly what it means.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,366
    Options

Current progress - Gen is a 50% - Eruption takes 10% = 5% - Gen is at 45% / Total - Gen is at 50% - Eruption takes 10% = 10% - Gen is at 40%

Pop was 25% total - Gen at 25% - Pop 25% - Gen was at 0%

Now Pop takes 20% of current progress - Gen at 25% - Pop 20% of 25% = 5% - Gen is at 20% / Massive nerf

• CheesyGuy
    CheesyGuy Member Posts: 399
    Options

I will explain. The total gen process is the overall gen process. So let's assume you completed 20% of the gen out of 100%. With an Eruption perk total gen progress will be lost to 10% so in that case you will lose 10% total and it drops to only 10%. So in general with total gen loss progress, you lost half of your repairing in that scenario. When it is current gen progress in the same scenario, you did 20% of the generator. With the current 10% loss you did only lose 2% of the generator which drops to 18%. So that is the difference between current and total gen progress loss. I hope I did explained well for you 😁

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

Just a small correction on Pop, it went from 25% total progress to 20% current progress, so actually a double nerf with no compensation.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options

We're at a point where Pain Resonance and Jolt are the best regression perks because the other instant regression perks got turned into sugar, honey, ice & tea.

Meanwhile perks like PT can negate the co-op repairing penalty of -15% per survivor, Hyperfocus getting more skillchecks by using the 5x chance from Toolboxes ensuring that the 6 tokens can be reached if you keep hitting greats which Autodidact can't do.