have you made any friends through dbd?

Options

hi sorry this is a post im making while under th influence of medication (i suffered an anxiety attack an hour ago and im bouncing back) but i wanted to make a good vibes post and maybe make some new friends

ik dbd has its ups and downs but i was wondering has anyone made any friends by being in this community and for how long were u guys friends for? is anyone looking for a friend to talk to or hang out with? tell me about it

share your feel good stories :)

i met a couple of people, @GoodBoyKaru being one of them that i text on twitter or discord sometimes, hes very funny and im happy i met the guy, def dont regret interacting on the forums

im hoping i can do the same with many others

Comments

• Wexton
    Wexton Member Posts: 496
    Options

No, can't say I have.

I don't really try to though so I guess that's on me, I'm only really involved in the forums and I only really come here to either complain about certain things or to just ask the community questions.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,079
    Options

No.

I have trust issues.

There are forum posters I do like tho.

I also fantasize about @GoodBoyKaru . In my mind he looks like a sexy red headed version of Henry Cavill. Don't ask why or what lead to it, it just is and I will never believe otherwise.

• Theo_Urista
    Theo_Urista Member Posts: 31
    Options

Yes I have, I made friends with a twitch streamer I discovered her under the tag playing with viewers on the dbd category and now we swf on discord and also with other people in her discord. I guess you could argue I made friends though twitch but I wanted to find friends to swf with regularly. It was a nice experiance finding people to be friends with to play the game as a swf.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,531
    Options

I've met a couple of very nice people.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,828
    Options

ive met my online best friends through dbd, been playing together for 6 years

though they dont play dbd anymore, we usually play overwatch or fortnite now lmao

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,131
    Options

I have people recognized me through arts, and spared me.

Or gift me a Ranger medkit

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

One of my main friend groups online is because of DbD and a few of them were actually able to meet each other in person. I wasnt able to do it because of financial reasons, how ever things are going A LOT better and meeting in person isnt out of the question nowadays.

Ive also met plenty of other cool people while playing that I still talk to a bit on discord, and we some times play a few games

Part of me wants to get a tattoo of the DbD logo simply because of this. This game has made such a big impact on my life that I honestly dont know where Id be without it

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 659
    Options

honestly this comment made me tear up over my bowl of soup tonight haha

i really wish i had the opportunity like you did, it seems so great to have a friend group that eventually meets up with each other

im happy to hear stuff is going better for you now <3 live long and live well

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

No not really.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,628
    Options

Anyway thusfar I've made a substantial amount of friends and 2 ex partners through dbd, with a current "It's very complicated" sticker being slapped on whatever the ######### is going on between me and this guy I'm seeing in a couple weeks.

Hate the game, don't hate the players. Literally.

• Cassiopeiae
    Cassiopeiae Member Posts: 263
    Options

Friends are what got me into the game in the first place.

None of them play anymore though. Most left around the time animations got updated and the last one standing (without counting me) left around the time DH made consoles crash.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,112
    edited February 2023
    Options

A handful of people I'd consider pretty good friends now - also my SO. I don't know what it is but I think through dbd you sometimes get a shortcut to seeing the worst of people/how people react to poopy situations/what kinds of emotional responses they have to stuff. There is just very little keeping up appearances going on so meeting "the real people" is somehow way easier, if that makes any sense. Like, seeing what makes some of them super tilted and how they react when very frustrated gives me a very good impression of what they are really like and where they direct negative emotions. Idk, I've been on the receiving end of people turning "hostile" toward friends when in a bad spot / facing a poopy situation and I really don't like it. Do that once and I'm surprised, do it twice and I'm wary - do it three times and I'm gone.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

I have 63 pages of "friendly" comments on my steam profile. Some people even come back and occasionally leave a heartwarming message about how i play, when i haven´t played in months.

On a more serious note, many years ago, i faced an impressive looper as Billy. After the match i sended him a friend request and we played together for a year or so, before the game broke him. He completely stopped playing DbD (alongside every RL friend i´ve introduced to DbD). Since then i´ve been playing solo.

Does this count as making friends on DbD?

Buuut, i´m totally open to friend requests (preferably EU) and playing together. It just seems that our community isn´t exactly welcoming these days.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

I made friends with a twitch streamer once when she went against me while I was running a meme Legion backpack build.

• ElevatedWind
    ElevatedWind Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2023
    Options

A couple..yes.

Post edited by ElevatedWind on
  • VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658
    Options

Bought this game when I lived overseas and when mixer was a thing. Ended up watching this guy who was brand new and offered to swf for help. Our group grew to a 4 man scattered on the east coast of America (except me)

2 years later I move back to the states (east coast as well) and the 4 of us rented a cabin that was roughly the same distance from all of us and we got to meet for the first time after roughly 3 years of playing everyday 🖤

Flash forward to now, they are still my besties. Many are now "uncles" to my new(ish)born, one is getting married where I will be attending etc etc.

We don't play this game anymore but I'm thankful I bought it at release for this

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

I've made a metric ton of friends through Dead By Daylight, but that's like because I stream it and people come by and then we end up queuing together if I'm playing survivor.

• Cassiopeiae
    Cassiopeiae Member Posts: 263
    Options

That's even more wholesome! Congrats on the new(ish) born!

• Snowflake_Syndrome
    Snowflake_Syndrome Member Posts: 239
    Options

Nope. I fly solo.

• miniwengsel
    miniwengsel Member Posts: 376
    Options

I meet seven persons in dbd, which I am in an friendship with. One is now actually my girlfriend.

I meet my frinds like three years ago and we are still very good friends. We have plans to live together in a Residential community.

I think if you want too find friends in dbd you will find differnd groups of players. Some of them I wouldnt want to become friends with some I would preffer. Even if very much of the players are toxic, entitled or just tryhards you can find groups of players which are very chill, but still decend. In my terms the guys I made friends with are all very good players, but we dont play tryhard or with any meta perks. You also can find yourself friends while playing Killer. The survivors who are toxic you can ingnore, but sometimes if you play a little bit nice (no tunneling instandly, if you dont have to) you can find great persons how play this game.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,775
    Options

Yes several.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Not really, i had some pleasant convertations with some but i'm not really the type of person who sends friendrequest to people who i have played once with.

And for some reason these forums have kinda become my negative outlet which makes me a lot meaner then i am so making friends here is very unlikely too

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,562
    Options

Yes we have made friends here that we even still play with. While a depressing percent of this community is a toxic cesspool (at least that we keep seeing), there are also a lot of good people here too and they are worth putting up with the rest.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,199
    edited February 2023
    Options

I made several, usually survivors I've versed as killer. (Or played with, I don't recall all the circumstances.)

Some became friends I talk with on Discord regularly.

Quite a lot are Steam friends I exchange a few words with once in a while. (One of them in this very thread.)

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

I've made several really good friends on dbd, and reconnected with an old gaming friend I hadn't talked to in several years.

We have a little discord together and we're a pretty friendly team tonplay against.

Nice to see a post that isn't just incessant complaining and hope you feel better after your anxiety attack OP 😊

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 535
    Options

Met a few people through random xbox messages over the years. A couple I still talk to on a near weekly basis. I Don't play swf but we exchange a lot of messages just generally talking about how each others games are going & it's always great when we randomly get matched together.

Don't use discord really & while I browse on here most days don't really post a whole lot or have a whole lot of interaction with most other users.

Certainly not against it though always good meeting new players

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    Options

I've actually met a lot of great people through DBD 😊

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 659
    Options

very heartwarming haha love to see it

thank you btw, its the next day and im definitely doing a lot better now, it was a hard hour to go through, still struggling a little but such is life!

for those who have said no so far; i hope u find someone! there's a lot of good people in this world that i think would love to meet you or find someone to talk to

for those who have said yes; seeing those posts make me very happy and i just want u to know that. im really glad you could make a friend and go beyond the confines of the internet to even meet them irl, thats a dream i wish could come true for me and it keeps me hopeful for smth like that in the future

seeing dbd be a thing that brings people together is such a feel good thing to witness and i definitely hope it continues to be a thing, idk i just really like seeing the little positive things in life lol <3

• Blazelski
    Blazelski Member Posts: 351
    Options

I met my partner through DbD. Hung out for about 2 years, then we moved out of our parents' houses and now we live together for the past year and all is good!

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436
    Options

I have met a few friendly smaller streamers who I still play with on occasion.

Quite a few years back I kept getting matched with a fellow playstation player over the space of a few weeks who rocked almost the exact same Nea outfit and was a really good player. He sent me a friends invite eventually and we started playing together more. 6 months later I buy a head set and we start playing with Comms. Over time he introduces me to all his circle of playing friends (about 8-12 people). And to this day I still play (other games, most of them have given up on DBD) with all of them at least 4-5 times a week at night.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

This is the kind of wholesome stuff i really want to see more off. Thanks for making this post

I always saw Karu as a sassy fluffy cow and i'm not taking no for an answer either

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I’ve met some cool people but haven’t really made any friends who I’ve played with more than once

I was recognised as a forum member in game recently but the person was on anonymous mode so I don’t know who it was. Cool none the less

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

I have moderate social anxiety so I turn down all friend requests and as such I never actually made a friend.

I did play with a random Felix one day who was doing a Hatch escape challenge like I was and after being put together for the second consecutive game, we coordinated our perks and items in the lobby. We managed to escape and complete our challenge and it was nice to see what it is like to have an actual teammate rather than just a random player on the same team. Also, sorry to the Adam we left on hook, nothing personal!

• Huge_Bush
    Options

He's a sassy fluffy Henry Cavill with red hair wearing cow print chapless pants.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Nope. I had to turn off msgs a long time ago because ppl are flaccid dicks. 🤷‍♂️

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

No I play on console with messages and such turned off. But playing killer I do get items left for me at exit gate and killers letting me go as survivor sometimes so..I like when it's positive in game. Don't need friends I have my whiskys and rums to keep me company.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,628
    Options
  • Huge_Bush
    Options

Nope. From hence forward, I will never believe that you don't look like I imagine.

(even if you really don't, I still love you 💜)

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 528
    Options

i have met many really good people and many actual friends thru dbd

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Yes I have 5 years ago. I still frequently play and talk to them outside of dbd today.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I did !

Mostly as I was playing killer, since I'm very soft and prone to meme around.

I met a couple of friends with whom I played hide and seek on GoJ a few months back (they saw how blind I was and began a game of hiding in increasingly obvious spots for me to find them, was very funny!). We play survivor together occasionally ! =D

And another one with whom I've grown to be close friends. Guy met me in a game where I got completely wrecked by him and the other survivors, genuinely offered to coach me so I'd get better. We realized there were other games we both played, and now we play and chat every week ! Though not on DbD anymore, as he's burnt out from it. =)

• jordywordy
    jordywordy Member Posts: 99
    Options

No and I don't know anyone personally that has made a friend through this game. Toxicity is what DBD is remembered for at the end of the day more often than not. That sticks with most people especially if you are new. Every now and then you get someone who says "GG" wholeheartedly, but even those are more often than not overshadowed by the sheer amount of the "GGEZ" you'll see..

Don't misunderstand. I couldn't care less about anything anyone types, but if you want new people to stay in your game, as a developer, maybe you should prevent certain hurtful words/phrases from ever seeing the light of day. If they want to stalk or contact you through any other profile then fine, but to have racial slurs thrown at you IN THE ACTUAL GAME via end game chat is inexcusable when all they have to do is remove it. Consoles can't chat anyway.

If people get so butt hurt about getting hit on hook, tunneled, camped, chased, looked at, or whatever, just remove the gateway to be toxic toward the end of a match through verbal abuse. It is very prevalent. I've seen it many times. The stuff that some people say is a testament to it. Be better than LoL BHVR. Let us "ThumpsUp/ThumbsDown" after a match. Being able to chat with your team in this game through text is not a necessity and it never will be.