Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How many mercy kills have you been given?

Wexton
Wexton Member Posts: 496
edited March 2023 in General Discussions

Just curious, some people say that killers shouldn't give hatch because survivors aren't going to give you a mercy kill if you lose, which is a statement that I sort of agree with. That's not why I don't give hatch tho, I just think the hatch is a badly designed mechanic that kind of rewards hiding all game. I'll only give hatch if the survivors played very well, or if it's a baby survivor. Or if I just don't feel like looking for it, because I'm lazy. But I wanted to ask around a bit, how many mercy kills have you gotten in your time playing killer? Or if you're a survivor player, how often do you let the killer get a free kill? You can give context, or just a number, or even a rough estimate since I doubt people would remember the exact number, I just wanna know.

I have only been handed a mercy kill once in my time playing DBD, it was my very first match as dredge after I purchased him, and as you can imagine I didn't do very well, went against good survivors, I didn't know how he worked, and I was afk for a little bit into the match because I had to use the bathroom, ended up getting one kill somehow, gens were finished and everybody left except for the feng, I guess she felt bad because she new I was a newer player. So she chilled with me until the match ran out, it was wholesome.

Post edited by Wexton on

Comments

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

I've gotten a few, and given a few. I got some when I was new to Pyramid Head, and I often give them to newbie Slingers.

Usually killers don't want mercy kills, and will try to force you to leave (which is what I personally do).

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

I have gotten one and given one.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,723

I've had survivors stop playing in winning situations, but no idea if it was mercy or not. If the doors were open and a survivor rushed up to me to kill them I'd just carry them back to the gate.

As killer I have 3 reasons for mercy:

1: When team's really try and help each other out, especially if it is in a situation where it's down to two survivors and they are still actively playing the game, unhooking, etc. instead of just giving up/hiding.

2: With an early disconnect I'll usually hunt the remaining survivors to death hook and then let them escape, hoping to get everyone a pip. That's because the game was never fair because of the disconnect.

3: I'm ready for the next game. This is frequently with the last survivor in EGC, letting them out so I can get to the next game is a lot quicker than hunting them down.

As survivor there isn't really anything comparable. Maybe if I was in a SWF and realized we really outmatched the killer but they kept trying I could see it being comparable to number 1. But there is nothing comparable to situation 2 or 3 that I could know about.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Before SBMM I used to give kills to killers fairly frequently, and as killer I would get them fairly often too. Pigs I would always die trying to boop snoot, those that let me boop I'd give kill to at end. Killers that were going for hooks and not tunneling/camping I'd give a kill to at the end. Killers that let me get glyphs done I'd give kill to. Now that escapes matter I don't do that because I have higher odds of getting worse teammates and bad matches when I die.

Giving a survivor hatch and giving a killer a mercy kill are not equal. A killer giving survivor hatch doesn't hurt the killers MMR, it's a null - killer staying same or dropping MMR means next match (if matchmaking works) should give them equal or easier survivors to face. A survivor giving a killer a mercy kill drops the survivors MMR, which leads to them more likely getting worse teammates and getting stuck in a loop of bad matches - doesn't matter if killer should be easier, bad teammates can and usually do cause the match to be more difficult and unwinnable. If survivor is in 4swf they don't have to worry about getting bad teammates the next round so you're more likely to see a mercy kill from them.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,714

I've been given a few EGC kills after snowballing early and then deciding to farm instead of killing them. They'll farm and then just wait out the timer nodding or messing around. Never gotten a pity kill as I don't think I've ever straight given up in a match where they would feel the need to.

I do tend to give a lot of mercy escapes, specifically only on Wraith; I use them for farming as well as doing some challenges so I tend to let everyone go most of the time. I've actually done this so much my MMR on him is tanked and I often get brand new players, though I also had a p100 today for some reason. At this point I've accepted it since it makes challenges easier and I don't have to sweat in the least. I do my challenge, 2-hook everyone while pretending to play bad and then mess around and let them all go.

As survivor I have given kills to farming killers and I've thought about it a couple times on killers that have given up but most of the time those turn into farming matches anyway. I've also been killed to EGC multiple times while either looking for Glyphs or doing other challenges which could be considered a mercy kill to them since I would have otherwise escaped.

While not quite the same, I have on multiple occasions given items to killers who didn't get a kill and have had the same happen to me which I can appreciate most of the time.

On the opposite end of things there were a couple times I've been given a pity escape and instead chose to die, not wanting the mercy.

None of the above are all that common in hard-fought matches though. It's almost always via farming or when there is only 1 left.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,441

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410

It feels more natural to let a survivor go as a nice gesture than it does to die to a killer. Letting a survivor go feels like mercy. Letting yourself be killed feels like...dying.

I get that it boils down to a few extra points for one side but if you have any level of immersion left it feels much weirder to give free kills.

I think that's fundamentally why it's more rare from the survivor side. Or maybe the reddit killer mains are right and all survivors players are bad people. 🤔

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,618

if i count the times that i was farming on purpose 5 times... if i count the times that i was playing normally only once (at least they tried, but my pride forced them out of the game since i don't want mercy kills... if i found something extremely ENRAGING is that kind of behavior, even if with good intent... i want to EARN my kills)

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Ooh, I love mercy kills! The killer's hatch ! =D

As survivor, I go by "would I have given hatch as killer if the situation was reversed?" = if the killer didn't get a kill on anyone (especially if they've spread hooks, my love !) I'll give them the sacrifice. I don't know if there's a particular etiquette for how to go about it, so it's a mix of getting to the gate (to validate to myself that I could have escaped) and emoting "follow me" while going back to a hook, or just staying crouched in front of killer when they hit me. If they don't show up to the gate I am at I usually try and find them and get under a hook nearby. If they decline (which happens often, a lot of killers don't accept mercy kills) then I just get out, I don't waste their time any further.

So all in all, doesn't happen that often because my lobbies rarely reach endgame, but I always give kill in the face of an otherwise 4E (except if the killer was rude like hitting on hook unprompted). I'll always offer friendly killers as well, they let me farm or have fun, I appreciate that.

As killer, I've received my fair share of mercy kills ! I won't count the friendly games because they're not real game conditions.

(Hilariously, I've had survivors I didn't see all game offer a kill thinking I got whipped on games where I was very obviously memeing with the other 3 and not playing seriously)

I remember my first massive loss, against a flashlight squad when I was 2 weeks into the game, I gave up and tabbed out. Two of them stayed to die with me (not teabagging, just kinda standing there with me because they felt bad)

I've had a few more, when otherwise I would have 4K'd. Notably a P93 I had an unexpected game against while I was trying Clown for a daily, got 8 hooks no kills, so she let the EGC take her after her teammates escaped.

I don't 0K (without being friendly) often enough to really have mercy kill offers that often, and I haven't had time to play killer at all in a few weeks, so I don't have any more recent examples.

But yeah, it's not that rare in my experience ! I admit though that I play excessively fair and have insane luck when it comes to good mannered opponents. Most people I meet on this game are really nice. (My duo friend, who's a BM-magnet as killer, hates me for it haha)

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    edited March 2023

EDIT:

I obviously can´t read.

Post edited by Tsulan on
  • Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

None

• PrincessCalla
    PrincessCalla Member Posts: 139

I try to give them often but the killers want me to leave, so I end up leaving, which is ok too. :)

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368

I can't say for sure, but I do have one pretty memorable game that probably counts. I was having a BAD game on Badham and it was coming close to being a total blowout. But I managed to rally back a little before and right after the last gen popped with a couple of well placed traps. We had a pretty intense back and forth where I could have probably gotten a 2K, but since the game had spun so dramatically for me and was elating for it, I carried the two I had downed to the exit gate. Their teammates got them back up and I expected them all to leave.

Instead, they came out and we all spun around until the timer hit zero. The end game chat was pretty nice and two them specifically mentioned how much fun they had with the tension at the end.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,281

3 and for surv never then again im a killer main

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Not many. I don't accept them. Unless we were just grinding then I find them insulting tbh

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070

It's easier to count how many times I didn't let last one go. It would be either some achievement/book challenge or someone should serously misbehave, like seriously (some think that flashlight click/save or pallet stun are the worst possible crime known to humanity).

If someone decides to DC, I can let everyone go (but I have 2 dc's in this year, so not very common)

If one survivor left and last gen is almost done, I usually gift "Left for dead" achievement, also always try to give last surv "Outbreak breakout" on RPD. If they are not hit in the head and understand it, be my guest.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,859

Received 1 as killer due to them celebrating Myers new movie with us

Given 1 to a very obvious new nurse

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2023

the only time I ever got a mercy killing was in a game I was trying to let everyone out because they had a DC and one player decided to be nice.

at the same time though. If I come across a myers who has tombstone, and he already has 3 out of the 4 required I let him take me. I won't deny that achievement.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

Never. Not once. Not even a single time.

I've given survivors mercy escapes frequently (especially when they've had the misfortune to be teamed up with one of those cretinous hominids who DC's at 30 seconds in), and I've been given a mercy escape by killers dozens of times.

I have NEVER seen a survivor linger and intentionally give themselves up, no matter how much of a survivor-win-blowout the game was.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

I have around 4,000 hours as a killer main and I've been gifted kills twice when I had a terrible game. Anytime I lose a game where I didn't camp/tunnel and multiple survivors escape, I get teabagged in the exit gates and told gg ez in messages. That's why I never give hatch to survivors unless it's an obvious complete baby

• AlyssaaMac
    AlyssaaMac Member Posts: 15

None. Ive tried to give mercy kills to people before but they always took me to gate/hatch. No point in wasting anyone's time at egc if they clearly want to go next. As killer I've been offered a mercy kill a few times but for similar reasons I don't take it and let them go.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

If I let survivors go because there's been some accident like bugs or DC's, I've got people offering to sacrifice or even staying until egc end fairly often. I don't really keep track, but it's often enough that it's something that doesn't come unexpected.

When I get stomped, I'd say it's much more rare they offer. But I understand it, because survivor bp are ass and escape points are a big swing. Plus, from personal experience by offering a kill, the killer then bm'd and trash talked me and others might have run into the same issue.

Regardless, I don't accept the handout if I can avoid it. I appreciate the spirit in which it was presented to me, but I can live with the poor results of my performance.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,026

I often offer the killers a free kill if they've had a bad game, but most of the time they decline. But I've also experienced that the last survivor didn't want the hatch.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

I can't always tell if the survivor just misjudged the time it takes to get out, but occasionally I do have some survivors dying to the EGC. Funnily enough I have personally been given more mercy kills than hatch.

• clowninabout
    clowninabout Member Posts: 133

I've been offered once ever but I wouldn't take it anyway, feels like a kick in the teeth. I'd rather they just left, so I can go next.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,703

A mercy what?

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

I tend to meme and mess around with survivors way more than most so I get offered a lot of mercy kills. I'd say by now it's more than 50, less than 75.

As far as offering a mercy kill myself, I'll almost always offer if the killer is letting everyone go intentionally. I don't do it for bad games though any more. Twice I offered kills to killers who had bad games and both times I ended up either intentionally bled out or repeatedly smacked on hook.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 394

Dear billionaires, how many millions did poor people give to you?

Just curious, some people say that billionaires shouldn't give money to poor people because poor people aren't going to give you a million, which is a statement that I tend to agree with. But I wanted to ask around a bit, how many millions from poor people have you gotten in your time as a billionaire? Or if you're a poor person, how often do you let the billionaires get a free million?

---

No, but in all honesty, hatches and kills are a terrible comparison. A hatch counts as a draw to the survivor while still allowing a 3k win to the killer. A survivor killing themselves is still a defeat for the killer and now it's also a defeat for the sacrificed survivor. I don't think they hold the same weight.

Plus, a killer in endgame will never feel stuck in a losing game. They can easily scare away survivors to quickly finish a match. Survivors, on the other hand, when it's a hatch game and it literally spawns in front of the killer, that's their hope to do anything productive gone unless you have a map with a couple walls between the gates.

We can't ask to be the power role and also get mercy kills. What the killer loses for a mercy hatch is negligible compared to what a survivor loses by sacrificing themselves, and when a survivor is the only one left it feels more hopeless than when a killer sees a bunch of people at the gate that they can just smack to shoo them away.

Having said that: I don't like giving mercy hatches. Not my fault the game is terribly designed. And so far I've tried to give 3 free kills to killers but none of them took my offer.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I have given quite a few latly, mostly to killers which were outskilled highly but tried to play a fair match, and in one case because my teammates where a 3swf which bullied the killer.

Also, several killers have rejected that offer.

But that is a very recent thing for me.

And to the guy above me: I think quite a lot of billionaires got their money from poor people, in most cases by keeping them poor.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

Killers are usually too proud to accept them so I just drop items instead, which are at least sometimes accepted.