Why Does The Lightburn Mechanic Exist?

Options

I’m sorry, but it makes no sense to me that certain killers’ powers can get punished just because survivors brought in a certain item. Nurse and Artist is whatever because they’re already strong enough not to mention they can play around it better, but Wraith and Hag should not be affected by the mechanic. They’re already weak enough as is, and they effectively can’t use their own abilities against certain squads. BHVR’s literally changed the luck mechanic, toolboxes, and other perks to not work against one killer in particular (Trapper), so why on earth is it okay for two other killers to get needlessly punished by another item?

Comments

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

Wraith I have no clue. Although it would be nice if they removed flashlights effectiveness vs hag in exchange another way to play around her traps could be added.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

They could honestly remove the flashlight-Hag traps interaction. It's not like Hag as too few counters haha !

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,263
    Options

Very true. It’s bad design to have items directly counter killers and they’ve stated this in the past when they removed the breaking on trapper traps. They need to remove the light burn from wraith, trap removal on hag and bird removal on Artist.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,387
    Options

It's thematic.

Also, it goes beyond Wraith, Nurse, Hag and Artist. Myers, Spirit, Legion are also affected in their own ways. Not to mention Nemesis.

• ShroudedGhostFace
    ShroudedGhostFace Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 104
    Options

Yeah honestly they should probably just get rid of Wraith’s and Hag’s weakness to flash lights. Both of them are not very strong in the current meta to begin with, there’s no point in making them them more difficult to play.

With that being said, Franklin’s Demise is great perk option for Hag and Wraith.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,114
    Options

Because at one time, long ago, the Wraith was considered OP.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

flashlights are already bad enough lmao

• dollidahlia
    dollidahlia Member Posts: 343
    Options

That’s only because killers are fed up and usually bring lightborn to avoid flashlights, blast mine and flash bangs.

if the killer doesn’t have lightborn, flashlights are still very useful for saving teammates

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,678
    Options
  • Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

if you let yourself get light burnt by a flashlight then you're bad lmao. flashburn got nerfed extremely hard

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

Ok. But what is the actual point in lightburn for a killer that is that bad already? The people playing wraith are typically not that good/ are new in general anyway.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

Lightburn originally shipped as a unique weakness of the Wraith. Flashlights are a very hard counter to his power and it was meant to be a way for survivors to stop him from running around cloaked.

At the time the game was still considered to be more stealth focused instead of needing to react quickly in chases. So the best guess I can think of is that it was meant for you or a teammate to burn him out of cloak from stealth. I don't really understand why Nurse has it as it is extremely hard to trigger on her. It kicks her out of her blinks early, but very few people built up the skill and courage to challenge a blinking nurse with a flashlight. It's one of many legacy effects in the game that don't mesh well with how the game is played at this point. Wraith was never particularly hampered by lightburn to begin with under normal circumstances and only really suffered from it when a dedicated flashlight squad turned up.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,015
    Options

Call me crazy, but unique interactions between surv and killers make the game interesting.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

I like the uniqueness of it, but it makes playing Wraith and Hag even more miserable than it already is.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Wraith can usually avoid lightburn for and easy waste of battery.

Nurse’s burn might as well not exist with how rare it is

Artist can basically ignore it since trying to burn a crow makes you an easy hit

Hag is the only one who gets really affected by it. If we remove her ability to camp with traps I’d be fine with removing the burn effect

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

The game has a lot to do with randomness and each match is not meant to be balanced. Example - medkits usually extremely powerful, useless against plague. Sometimes survivor builds, both perks and items, give great counters to killers, other times they end up being wasted.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Instead of getting rid of it they could make it more interresting by giving a trade off.

Running Hubris with Wraith is pretty fun and punishing to the lightburners if you play your cards right so why not make that basekit? Lightburn a wraith and you get exposed for a while.

Use a flashlight to get rid of crows? You get swarmed.

Instead of destroying hag traps what if flashlights triggered them allowing the hag to teleport

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,678
    Options

Of course getting light burn is rare, but it still means you have to play around it which can often give the survivor enough time to reach a loop that they normally wouldn’t if didn’t have to move out of the way of a flashlight.

I just don’t think items or perks should have effects specifically for certain killers. Small Game and Sabo lost their effect on Trapper because it was unfair and I think they should do the same for other killers.

• forthelulz
    forthelulz Member Posts: 305
    Options

Only Nurse & Wraith suffer from the Lightburn mechanic, not other killers.

You're mixing up and confusing mechanics.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,387
    Options

You didn’t quote me, but I assume this in response to me.

For all intents and purposes, Lightburn exists for those killers as well, since it directly interferes with their power. At that point, it’s just semantics.

Myers is unable to stalk, Legion gets knocked out of frenzy, Spirit’s husk is destroyed (although I fail to see the point in doing that), and Nemesis loses functionality from his zombies. Doesn’t really matter if they’re part of the same mechanic or not. As long as a killer’s power is affected by flashlights, I’d call that a lightburn.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,948
    Options

I would honestly prefer if Lightburn for Wraith just made their action speed slower instead of being a straight up stun. Like you could slow down their pallet breaking slightly or the window vaulting after blinding them or something, just to waste a tiny bit of extra time, but it's nothing severely impactful, at least not as impactful as Lightburn stuns.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

It’s gone now the new mid chapter will remove the light burn

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options

This post, and your posts on PR and OverBrine... I think someone's leaking things from the dev team again OP

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416
    Options

nice one devs!

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

I'm really disappointed with the lightburn changes, will make gameplay more dull and more of the same. I can understand flashlights were too good against Hag, but the rest were fine and cool mechanics.

Whenever I had a flashlight in hand, I especially liked using flashes against Nurse with range addons as it could mess them up. Sigh. As for Wraith, it was difficult to pull off (especially if the Wraith played well).

They're removing flashlight interactions against Nurse, Wraith, Artist and Hag. But not Nemesis or Legion.

• forthelulz
    forthelulz Member Posts: 305
    Options

Those are different mechanics, not lightburn as I said. It's a common mistake. Doesn't matter anyway since they're removing it and making the game even more dumbed down.

Such a joke at this point.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

Well this aged well

• Notionless
    Notionless Member Posts: 243
    Options

Boy are you gonna be happy reading the patchnotes

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,114
    Options

Are you Nostradamus?

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Devs were quick on this one apparently

• Wexton
    Wexton Member Posts: 496
    Options

Tigersnake are you on the dev team or something???

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531
    Options

I’m sure this was planned months in advance, but I just want to say to the dev team: Thank you! I never would’ve expected my suggestion to have become a reality literally the very next day though, so talk about a wicked coincidence.