Is body blocking a fair technique?

Options
stvnhthr
stvnhthr Member Posts: 777

Killer hooked me and then body blocked the only entrance to the room. He would not hit the other survivors or chase them just stood there. Seems maybe there should be no hooks without at least two modes of access. There are some real crummy folks who will take advantage of anything to grief players.

Comments

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

It's an unpopular opinion but I don't think there should be any bodyblocking in DBD.

It's not fun when Survivors do it to the killer at the end of a game to deny pressure.

It's not fun when a Trapper blocks you and puts a trap at your feet or a LF revs a chainsaw while you cant move.

Remove body blocking and EVERYONE will have more "clean" fun.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 704
    Options

It's not game stalling so technically it's not bannable. But it's no doubt crappy and unfair. Thankfully there's only a handful of those spots and the majority of people don't know about them. Sorry about the bad game though because I know it's frustrating.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,285
    Options

This is actually something it's fully possible the devs make map changes to prevent, they've already changed plenty of spots infamous for this on maps (like a lot of basement entrances and the width of the ways up to second floors with only one path up) in the past, and I'm sure it will happen again. It's not against any rules or anything (unless it's used to either hold someone hostage indefinitely or blocking someone before EGC starts to kill them with it) but it's pretty clear it's undesirable in their eyes.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767
    Options

This is not an issue with bodyblocking but with rpd, they should make doorwaysway larger.

It would fix the issue with a killer camping but also it would make playing some killers less frustrating, like as blight in the room with the big glass window and a vault you need 4 bumps just to move by 2 meters

• Canas
    Canas Member Posts: 1,021
    Options

How exactly is that a matter of map design? A killer for instance can simply block off the entrance to the basement by simply standing in one of the doorways. Map design still heavily favors survivors, there are far too many pallets and absurd loops to abuse. The entire basegame was designed with survivors in mind, killers will always be 2nd fiddle to the devs.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,093
    Options

Was it the only entrance to the room? If so do a bug report. In the past when a killer can block survivors from getting to hooked survivor - like standing on only staircase to second floor or blocking only doorway - the devs have made adjustments so the stairs/doorway is larger so killer couldn't block survivors from getting to the hook.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,177
    Options

I don't think it's reportable as the hook timer did have a technical "end" coming for you. That said any area where this is possible should for sure be changed/the killer should not be able to block like that, it's why basement stairs were made wider in the past and similar situations got tweaked.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options
  • MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    Options

Survivors seem to think it's a fair technique when blocking killer from getting their hooks, so if that's fair..then yes, it is.

• Slurpin
    Slurpin Member Posts: 107
    Options

I have no idea what you mean by this. If you block off one doorway, there's almost always another doorway in. You cannot bodyblock the stairs unless you're the Twins, and they lose collision after a little bit.

The issue OP has is rare hooks that have only ONE way to get to them and are completely blocked by the killer just standing there. There was a similar issue in RPD's Library that happened very consistently. It was patched.

When it comes to map design, it does suck and killers have it bad a little more than survive. I will agree to this. But heavily favours? You can very easily three gen in most maps and win. I wouldn't call this heavily favouring.

Killers being 2nd fiddle to the devs has no basis in reality. It's actually ludicrous to say that a game that has 60% kill rate for one side is heavily favouring the losing side of that statistic. Sure, stats aren't all, but beyond that is your opinion. And it consists of you being fine with the maps screwing over survivors but are distressed that they do so to killer.

• Slurpin
    Slurpin Member Posts: 107
    Options

Sacrificing a health state to prevent a hook =/= Making it impossible to unhook no matter what the survivor does.

One side at least gets something out of this interaction, the other is completely screwed. This isn't fair in any way you spin it. This has been patched in the past, so this is definitely unintended.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,757
    Options

Basement in the main building of Eyrie of Crows, it only has one entrance so if the killer is camping it you're forced to take a hit or go down

• Davenport916
    Davenport916 Member Posts: 169
    Options

Once as the dredge on grave of glendale I body blocked a survivor in the upstairs bedroom who tried to use ds unbreakable up there at endgame collapse, thinking I'd break the wall first and let him get a free escape. He was clearly bm-ing. I just sat in front of the window ready to get my one kill. Turns out all his swf came and jumped through the window to try and get me to swing. Ended up trapping all 4 in there and watched them all get sacrificed lol

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,130
    edited April 2023
    Options

One of the RPD maps has the upstairs room the sometimes spawns with the gen. Sometimes a hook can spawn in there, and survivors only have 1 way in, but multiple ways out.

This room right here, it only spawns that way if that side of the map is the closed off part:

I'm sure there are others, but is the first one that comes to mind.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498
    Options

Survivors body block you all the time. There is nothing unfair about it.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,203
    Options

Remove body blocking and EVERYONE will have more "clean" fun.

Then you'd get situations where survivors dodge the killer by running directly at them to phase through them, which from the killer's limited FOV would be confusing as hell. Killer could never block a window or a pallet to prevent survivors from running through them. Protection hits would cease to matter. Imagine chasing a 4-man SWF where they all run around with coordination to be a merged survivor blob.

• DBDVulture
    Options

-"Then you'd get situations where survivors dodge the killer by running directly at them to phase through them, which from the killer's limited FOV would be confusing as hell."

No we already came up with a solution to that years ago:

If you run into the killer your movement stops for 1 second and you fall into a recovery animation and have to get up from the ground (think falling over in MWO).

• blmpride5
    blmpride5 Member Posts: 39
    Options

There is not a singular hook where you can prevent survivors to get to it by blocking 1 way. So your made up scenario is totally fair

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,939
    Options

One is the result of teamwork; something that BHVR encourages.

The other is the result of bad map design; something that BHVR tries to fix.

The ability to bodyblock a hook and make saving a Survivor physically impossible is something BHVR has tried time and time again to remove from the game. E.g. the basement's entrance was made wider so bodyblocking it was impossible, RPD's Library upstairs was removed since the staircase was body-blockable.

I personally have no issue with players using this, since it is a fault in the game design, but I do not think it is a double standard when BHVR is clearly going out of their way to remove one.

• ThePolice
    ThePolice Member Posts: 801
    Options

There’s also one on rpd in the corner next to the art storage room where killer can stand and block any unhook attempts

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 947
    Options

If it's endgame collapse, and the killer has no kills and can only secure one that way because he / she is out of options you'd still call that a crummy tactic? If anything it's taking advantage of observation and map layout. Like any other survivor would do for the best loops. And in the case of only one entrance, there's only one i know of and that's the picture above with the statue, but the hook has always been underneath for me if the gen is located there.

• IWasLrft2Die
    IWasLrft2Die Member Posts: 389
    Options

Although I've never used this for a hook, I have done it to a survivor trying to escape after gates opened in that exact spot with wraith. The survivor was tbagging and such so I was more willing to do that. They ran the opposite direction and tagged at the exit but I got the down and hook. It felt super warranted lol

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

I believe a lot of basement entrances are bodyblockable on the way down, I've seen it happen once on 2 different maps. It's probably just not common because people don't think it's possible.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,123
    Options

Pretty much, agreed.

Its not 'griefing' in the same way survivors doing it to ensure their teammates make it out. If they do it, killers shouldn't be blamed for it either. And honestly, if you're going for a last second save before they hit 2nd stage or die on hook and you get punished for it, then thats entirely on you and not the killer. Hell, the killer was probably staying in the area/camping the survivor on hook while you decided to sit on the gen and crank out some more progress.

I have absolutely no problem with a killer doing this. Yea it can be annoying but so is 3 survivors bodyblocking for their 4th teammate to make sure they escape. Gotta look at it from both sides and not just the side you like playing.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

It could be argued that your example is just good tactical decision making by the killer when choosing to defend an advantageous hook in a good position.

• pseudechis
    Options

I don't get how its not fun to have to be mindful of your surroundings so you don't get blocked in. Its a big part of the game, I'd liken it to friendly fire in shooting games, without it you can just spray bullets like a fool no thought needed.

Having collision on characters makes for all kinds of interesting plays and obstructions that can vary game outcome.

It also adds an element of realism to the physics of the game world and that realism makes up a large part of the game experience, it would be lacking without it.

• DBDVulture
    Options

As I said before it would be incredibly easy to make it so that if you touch the killer you are stopped and get knocked down and have to take time to pick yourself up before you can move. In fact this literally happens all the time in horror movies where some character runs into Jason and falls down (possibly in sheer terror). And then they get killed.

-"I don't get how its not fun to have to be mindful of your surroundings so you don't get blocked in"

Body blocking is not fun for the killer when the survivors do it to the killer. Nor is body blocking fun for the survivor when they do it to a survivor and get a free instant down as a result.

The definition of fair play is when you use an ability and it's fun to be the user as well as having that ability used on you.

• DBDVulture
    Options

RPG and Mid both can force survivors to go half way around a map for an unhook.

Do you know the room on Mid that has a ramp with a guaranteed totem? There's one way in that room downstairs. There's one way into that room from upstairs (you can stand on the ramp). This room can have a hook but it is not a guarantee.

The strategy is to stand in the doorway and not swing. This forces someone to go to the opposite corner to get upstairs and then go all the way back around. And when they do that you can just stand on the ramp and wait for them.

On RPD you can hook someone in multiple locations that have a similar effect. For east wing you can hook a survivor by the junction to the library from the main room (right next to the vault). It's literally impossible for someone to sneak past you.

If survivors are ok with body blocking then they need to be ok with hook camping in such a way to force hook states or even death.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 448
    Options

It's not that bodyblocking is unfair it's that healing times are too fast, they'll bodyblock then heal with green medkit then 10 seconds later come back for another.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Instead of making everyone a ghost, make body-blocking a killer an instant-hit without any time penalty for the killer and call it a day.

• pseudechis
    Options

"As I said before it would be incredibly easy to make it so that if you touch the killer you are stopped and get knocked down and have to take time to pick yourself up before you can move. In fact this literally happens all the time in horror movies where some character runs into Jason and falls down (possibly in sheer terror). And then they get killed." Yikes while simulating the realism of a horror movie what you a proposing here in game mechanics terms is more game breaking than body blocking. If all I had to do to stop a survivor was to ram them and knock them down with my hitbox that, while cool, it would be a bit much.

The second half of your reply really gets at the nut of the problem, and I hate to say it but it isn't body blocking, the nut of the problem is your perception that its not fun. Which is a valid feeling, but not valid enough to justify removing body blocking.

The definition of fair play is equal respect for the rules from both sides. In that both sides acknowledge the game rules and adhere to them and accept them graciously in both victory and defeat that is the literal definition of fair play.

Someone leveraging a legitimate tactic better than you do and winning as a result, you may not find fun but it is fair play. Collision mechanics like any can be utilized in a few different ways and players leveraging that to their advantage is good play. Both sides can leverage it making it rather fair.

That's doesn't mean there aren't scenarios where collision can be exploited, but that gets fixed by map design not removing body blocking. The example given by the OP where there is only a single point of access that can be body blocked is an example of bad map design.

• DBDVulture
    Options

-"The definition of fair play is equal respect for the rules from both sides."

I don't agree with your definition; I think the one I gave is a much better fit.

The definition of fair play is when you use an ability and it's fun to be the user as well as having that ability used on you.

Imagine a fps shooter where you get a crazy ability for making a kill streak that allows you to kill more people and get even better killstreaks and better rewards. Would it be fun in a Call of Duty match if someone got 30 kills in a row so they could deploy a tactial nuke that deleted anyone in a 50m circle of a painted target? The answer is no.

It needs to be fun to play as Nurse but it needs to be fun when you play against Nurse. Assuming you have a good understanding of DBD this is true for the most part. But for the majority of DBD's lifetime there has been great consideration about what is fun to play as survivor without any consideration for how it feels to the killer.

No killer main ever said : I sure to love how DH made the game less fun for the killer and made chases longer for no reason.

I saw a discussion recently about the game Among Us and what constitutes fair play. It is possible to prove your innocence by performing certain tasks to other crew members. If you do this with 3-4 crew members then you can be certain that those players are not the imposter. If those players always stick together it becomes impossible for them to lose.

This creates an unfun scenario where you have no chance to win as the imposter when crew members can without a doubt identify other players who have a 0% chance of being the imposter.

If everyone plays this game in this manner then it becomes a pointless endeavor to play the game at all. If you are the imposter then you will lose so the game is not even worth playing.

The problem with this is that new players would get really frustrated because they already suck in chase. Good players would have no issue with collision.

If touching the killer knocked you over and stopped you then it would 100% stop bodyblocking. The killer could knock you over and then swing at the injured player and then turn around to hit you as you stand up. it would be high risk/high reward to try and block a killer from hitting your friend.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,188
    Options
  • Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178
    Options

"If touching the killer knocked you over and stopped you then it would 100% stop bodyblocking. The killer could knock you over and then swing at the injured player and then turn around to hit you as you stand up. it would be high risk/high reward to try and block a killer from hitting your friend."

Wait, what is the high reward? Sounds like the killer got a down and a health state.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949
    Options

Eerie of Crows basement exists but I'm sure you knew that, otherwise your distasteful claim isn't one made for a healthy argument. 🤔

• pseudechis
    Options

I'm afraid your points are not as strong as you think and neither is your definition of fair play.

Fun doesn't mean fair and vice versa in fact most games a designed to be challenges that are stacked against the player. DBD is asymmetric which creates scenarios that can favor one side over the other this lopsided nature is part of the game design.

Asymmetric games often have lopsided or unfair elements that's what makes them asymmetric and that's actually part of the fun.

Play guaranteeing fun does not mean its fair, in fact the most fun scenarios are often when it falls in your favour rather than being the fair outcome, because fun is so subjective it often blurs what's truly fair.

"imagine a fps shooter where you get a crazy ability for making a kill streak that allows you to kill more people and get even better killstreaks and better rewards. Would it be fun in a Call of Duty match if someone got 30 kills in a row so they could deploy a tactial nuke that deleted anyone in a 50m circle of a painted target? The answer is no." _ Of course no, but you've crafted an example so extreme that the only logical conclusion could be no, this is called "appealing to extremes or reductio absurdum" and is a great fallacy people often commit when trying to legitimize their point if not done properly.

If you have to propose such an extreme example to make your point then your point doesn't stand on its own validity, this is a very common mistake people make when debating.

With that said lets delve into your wider point...

"It needs to be fun to play as Nurse but it needs to be fun when you play against Nurse. Assuming you have a good understanding of DBD this is true for the most part. But for the majority of DBD's lifetime there has been great consideration about what is fun to play as survivor without any consideration for how it feels to the killer." Really? I sincerely doubt that there has been no consideration of killer's fun or how it feels to play killer when making survivor changes, this is another extreme that makes little point.

The DH example is a good one and while changes took a long time, they have been made and DH is in a pretty good spot, its still over-represented though which is why more changes are coming. It doesn't make chases longer for no reason, that's what DH is for to extend chases, that's its purpose.

As for the among us example, coordination between the survivors of any asymmetric survival game always makes it harder for the killer, but it rarely makes it impossible. Among us has some flaws but they can be fixed by improving the subtlety of killing as the imposter. Overcoming coordinated teams in among us is really tough and requires some serious lateral thinking and deception, skills that honestly most people lack. A few extra tools I'd like to see in among us is the ability to force a teams to separate by being able to spread more chaos from greater distance.

"This creates an unfun scenario where you have no chance to win as the imposter when crew members can without a doubt identify other players who have a 0% chance of being the imposter.

"If everyone plays this game in this manner then it becomes a pointless endeavor to play the game at all. If you are the imposter then you will lose so the game is not even worth playing." We've now come full circle to my first point. Among us is still a fun game even when you get the more dull coordinated teams that make it harder to win and to ruin the game entirely it requires everyone to play like this which often isn't the case. Just as not every group of survivors is a coordinated SWF. Remember my point about extremes.

So if you define fair as being tools that are fun for the opponent and define fun as being the ability to win. Then any tool that limits your ability to win could be deemed as unfun and when used in a coordinated fashion deemed unfair. This is just blatantly untrue, and body blocking is a great example. (bringing it back on topic)

Having collision in game opens up all kinds of plays to use it as a tool, which is creative and fun. Both sides can use this tool which is fair, and scenarios where it can be exploited need to be identified and patched out, such as the OP's example of only one door to a hook which can be blocked.

So the OP's question "is body blocking a fair technique?" well not in the specific example they give, but they are asking the wrong question, its not body blocking that's the problem here its the bad map design that allows body blocking to become exploitable.

• DBDVulture
    Options

-" Really? I sincerely doubt that there has been no consideration of killer's fun or how it feels to play killer when making survivor changes, this is another extreme that makes little point."

How long was Sprint Burst, Self Care, Sabotage meta?

Only Sabotage changed when M. Cote kept getting all his hooks broken and he "didn't like it".

When did flashlights change? It changed when M. Cote got floored in Korea while playing Hag.

For 4 years we heard the rhetoric from the devs : nah SWF doesn't give an advantage. Then suddenly next year we heard - oops SWF gives up to a 15% escape rate.... our bad. This is terrible when you consider Freddy's last nerf was due to a 4% "too high" kill rate. But SWF gets a 15% advantage? cool.

Where's that SWF nerf? It's not going to happen because people would not like it. This causes almost nobody to want to continually play killer (the stats are like 1 killer for every 10 survivors).

Dead Hard has been a meta perk for a very long time because it gives an obscene advantage in chase. Did it get obliterated to the point where nobody uses it like Eruption? No. Most people are still likely to just use good old SB (or Lithe).

I've said for a long time either killers need exhaustion perks or some kind of "punish" mechanic that gets stronger when there are more people who are exhausted.

The bottom line is that if you've been playing this game for 6 years you know that overall there has been a very different treatment between killers and survivors in terms of rule changes. A classic example is the Mori/BNP. The mori is now useless and is only there as a bandaid to SWF breakdown spam or to counter poor game mechanics where the killer is punished for killing a survivor (with a forever broken hook). Let's stop for a minute to remember when they had announced that hooks would regenerate after 2-3 minutes.

So obviously the BNP is now just as useless as the mori right? No - it offers very real progress on a generator. How many examples do you need where the game has softer/nicer rules for survivor and less advantages rules for killer?

It's not some "extreme little point". It's not Hyperbole either - the role of killer in DBD has been kept 1 step from miserable for a very long time. One of the advantages of moving this board away from the steam forum is that they can leave behind all the messy history this game had in the first two years.

Does anyone remember the killer strike? Once upon a time it took 15 minutes to get a game as survivor but that same wait period for teen killed the game VHS just a few months ago.

• DBDVulture
    Options

-"Among us is still a fun game even when you get the more dull coordinated teams that make it harder to win and to ruin the game entirely it requires everyone to play like this which often isn't the case."

So you admit it ruins the game - interesting. But when we consider DBD it's 4 people who usually have each other on their friends list are in a voice call together. That's really easy to coordinate. In other words : it's easily to play survivor in a very scummy way that forces the killer to react in an unfun way. This is basically the last year of DBD content.

-"So if you define fair as being tools that are fun for the opponent and define fun as being the ability to win"

No I'm not accepting this definition either. The one I am using is from a game design article I saw more than 10 years ago. It's not mine and is literally the best definition of fair play I have ever heard.

Is killer fundamentally fun enough? It's probably not when we look at a raw statistics metric considering that most people do not play killer for a significant period of time. Most of the day is 100% killer bonus because not enough people are playing the role. Why on earth do you think that is?

-"If you have to propose such an extreme example to make your point then your point doesn't stand on its own validity, this is a very common mistake people make when debating."

Don't be a parrot.

It's also not as extreme as you think because such a system has existed (in a lesser form) in games and you know what - people hated it. If you make the example of something that already happened easier to explain so that I don't have to give you 3-5 paragraphs about another game then that in my eyes is a smaller crime. But I am fully aware of what you think you are calling me out for.

-"Having collision in game opens up all kinds of plays to use it as a tool, which is creative and fun."

It depends on how the tool is used. Let's look at another game with collisions : Mechwarrior Online. If I'm in an Atlas (100 ton mech) moving at max speed and you're in a Jenner also moving at max speed (35 ton mech) and we have a collision then one of is is getting knocked down. By the way it's not going to be the Atlas.

The collision system in this game was *mostly* fair. If you were moving too fast and hit something you usually fell over leaving you completely vulnerable for enemies to shoot.

One of the gripes everyone had about MWO is that they did not have a kick or punch system. That big Atlas in table top would have gotten a punch as soon as the Jenner got close. The Jenner would not like that any more than you would like to get hit by Mike Tyson. Why was the lack of kicking and punching a problem?

To easily relate this - in DBD you can crouch behind a killer and stop them from moving that way while carrying someone. Were you playing this game when it was possible to block basement stairs while crouching and prevent survivors from being able to be hit or carried to the basement? That was most definitely not "fair play". The survivors could do something that the killer had no way to counter. In a similar note do you remember the old MM map where a killer could just stand above the basement and there was no way to move past him? That was also unfair.

The lack of kicking and punching made getting close to an Atlas have no consequence. In the tabletop you would get mauled by a close combat attack. Since there was no penalty for it people often ran right next to big mechs and prevented them from moving or just moved behind them with impunity. A kick/punch system would have been lore appropriate AND it would have prevented abuse.

Since this game was basically pulled from an existing tabletop game it should have had a kick/punch system. If they had wanted to get really fancy they could have made some grab/throw animations and done some street fighter style cinematics. Did you ever play Street Fighter 2? Essentially the rule was this: if you moved your character to touch the opposing character you should expect to get thrown.

To make a very long sidestory short - If touching a killer knocked you down and stopped all motion for 1 second that would be a stiff punishment. You could still prevent a hit possibly but it would come at a cost. The problem with body blocking right now is that there is literally no cost for it.

A more severe penalty might be : touching the killer or moving through his space makes you exposed for 10 seconds (note this is different than the killer touching you).

See how long we needed to get to an example with no extremes? The extremes are a shortcut to make the point cleanly and quickly.

What's the counter play to body blocking survivors? You needed to "get good" and bring infinite MM with t3, Nurse, Blight or a chainsaw. That's a very dangerous road to go down where some killers stop bodyblocking and others do not.

Most people hate playing against Nurse but I rather enjoy it. I understand her limits so I know how to move to "mess her up". What is the counterplay to a Leatherface who backrevs with the chainsaw when the pallet is used and there is no nearby vault? The limitation on leatherface is that in theory you can't run one green addon and one purple addon every game. Except you can just choose to not play LF until you have more of those addons - it's quite stupid.

-"So the OP's question "is body blocking a fair technique?" well not in the specific example they give, but they are asking the wrong question, its not body blocking that's the problem here its the bad map design that allows body blocking to become exploitable."

You are also asking the wrong question. What game design elements make Blocking unfun/unfair?

I find it hilarious that the only time it's not ok to body block is when you hold someone hostage by pinning them in place.

• pseudechis
    Options

Oh man your bias is showing.

A lot of this is unsubstantiated opinion being touted as fact, that's a really bad way to make a point.

Yeah change has been slow but generally killer play has seen marked improvement, its lot easier to play killer than it has been previously.

To dismiss those improvements is just not accurate.

I'll say one point where our opinion does align is, I dislike the mori changes too, moris made the game fun and exciting. Even a mediocre killer with a mori was something to be feared. Its sad to see it go.

Lets take a more holistic view of the mori change though, if you queue for 10 mins to be eliminated in under 2 mins that's a problem. It did need some changing, just a shame to see it completely gutted the way they have. I thought the initial change of mori after first hook was fine, I can accept how mori on death hook is more balanced though so its also a good change anything further than that is just crap in my opinion.

"the role of killer in DBD has been kept 1 step from miserable for a very long time." This kinda is hyperbole, can't you see that this is just opinion and while it perfectly valid, it only applies to you because that's how opinion works. So the solution to this starts with you figuring out why killer is miserable for you and how you might improve to make it better.

There are many many players who don't find killer miserable to play and do pretty well with it, myself included.

• pseudechis
    Options

"So you admit it ruins the game - interesting." um no, you made the point that if everyone played as you described it would ruin the game, not everyone plays as you describe and if it requires everyone to play that way then its not as bad as you think because most people don't play that coordinated, which is my point. Similar to SWF in DBD not every game is against highly coordinated SWF teams but you'd swear it was the way people go on about it. I'm sorry you missed the point here.

You can't reject that definition its your definition not mine.

"Body blocking is not fun for the killer when the survivors do it to the killer. Nor is body blocking fun for the survivor when they do it to a survivor and get a free instant down as a result.

The definition of fair play is when you use an ability and it's fun to be the user as well as having that ability used on you."

You then give examples of how its not worth playing if its unfair and not winnable so to reiterate, your point hangs on the fact that "you define fair as being tools that are fun for the opponent and define fun as being the ability to win" This isn't my definition this is the basis for the points you've made in your examples and why you feel they are unfair or unfun. So if you reject this premise I'm not sure what your point is then because your point kinda requires this to be the case for its coherency.

I don't really have an answer beyond that if you re-read what you've written it all falls apart if you reject the aforementioned statement. Its kinda hard to make a counter point to someone who's already countering their own point. So I'll leave that one.

As for MWO, its a little apple and oranges. A 100 ton Atlas crunching into a 20-35 ton scout mech will knock it down and its great, but the scout mech has a maneuverability that should make it really hard to get that knockdown. That's the trade off, its not fair to match an assault mech against a scout mech but the scout mech has tools to deal with that making it a very effective hunter of assault mechs.

In the right hands that scout mech mech can kill that Atlas via a death of 1000 cuts making this incredibly one sided and unfair match up on paper a much more interesting and varied experience in reality. The simple key is to move quick enough to not get knocked down which the scout mech can realistically do.

The differences in survivor/killer maneuvering in DBD aren't really equivalent to the differences in light/assault mech example. For the example to be valid it requires them to be equivalent that's why it doesn't work.

Its not hard to bump into a survivor even mid chase so the ability to knock a survivor down would need a big increase in survivor maneuverability to counter this very easy to achieve chase ending bump. What's interesting is you attribute a mechanic like that as fun but then dislike collision as unfun without any real basis for the distinction.

"You are also asking the wrong question. What game design elements make Blocking unfun/unfair?

I find it hilarious that the only time it's not ok to body block is when you hold someone hostage by pinning them in place."

I never said the only time its not ok is when pinning people in place, but its what makes the OP's example not ok and that's all they have given as basis for their question, that one example.

So lets, as you suggest, expand on the OP's narrow scenario beyond the singular example given where the problem is clearly map design not body blocking.

You claim there is no cost for body blocking, it costs a health state, as killer you have this big weapon in your hand which you can use to swing at body blocking survivors. If this scenario is stopping you from hooking people then you need to plan your hooks better. You don't need to bring anything more than that to counter body blocking.

There are perks to make it easier to counter but they aren't needed with a bit of game sense. Your basement stairs example, I wouldn't have picked up a survivor with a bunch of others around to block, and I probably wouldn't try for the basement with a crew of survivors that were lining up to block me. But I'd in close so that my chances of getting into the basement were better the next down and direct my gameplay toward the basement rather than away from it if that was my plan.

"To make a very long sidestory short (way to late for that but lets soldier on) - If touching a killer knocked you down and stopped all motion for 1 second that would be a stiff punishment. You could still prevent a hit possibly but it would come at a cost." Explain to me the mechanics of not getting hit if stuck on the ground for 1 second? This makes no sense whatsoever. How is this not more extreme than the body blocking we have now?

A more severe penalty might be : touching the killer or moving through his space makes you exposed for 10 seconds (note this is different than the killer touching you). This is even more extreme for something as simple as collision and is pretty unbalanced and unfair within the context of DBD.

You can't rail against things you think unfair but then offer up just as unbalanced mechanics as counters or alternatives.

See how long we needed to get to an example with no extremes? The extremes are a shortcut to make the point cleanly and quickly."

No they didn't because you are still proposing really lopsided mechanics as equivalent to body blocking. You could have proposed these prior to your first "extreme" example of nuking your opponents in an FPS, (which makes no sense and clearly is a terrible idea that doesn't serve any purpose for your point or mine but lets not go back to it).

Even after all this exchange it still appears that you point is... it seems your dislike of body blocking isn't about fairness its about annoyance that you can't counter it well and feel its unfair. I've said this before and haven't changed that opinion based on what you've countered with.

• DBDVulture
    Options

-"A lot of this is unsubstantiated opinion being touted as fact"

Did you play in 2016? It was a complete joke. Look at the old killer vs survivor vault times and infinite windows. The only way we killed people reliably was NOED and the fact that ~15-20% of players tried to escape the hook in stage one so they immediately went to stage two

Killer didn't get better really until bloodlust was added much much later. And then it was nerfed and DH got added.

DS HD Unbreakable and BT reigned supreme for like 3 years.

What did killer have that was fun?

Billy was cool and they neutered him.

-"To dismiss those improvements is just not accurate."

Things got better and things got worse. The stun mechanic in 2016 was way more fair than 2023 (by the way the pallet hit size box for the stun has been increased twice AND the delay for the stun effect was removed very early on in 2016 or 2017).

DS needed multiple nerfs to make the perk still have a strong chance of giving you an escape from tunneling. It only took 1 nerf to NOED to make me never want to use it ever again (I forgot I had an old challenge so I had to do the 2023 version).

Killer is fine - if you're playing the S tier killer at the time with meta perks. If I put you up against 10 comp squads in an "anything goes" format where I pick a weak killer for you to play you will be miserable.

-"There are many many players who don't find killer miserable"

Did I say killer is miserable? I said it one step away; if killer is super fun and awesome why is there a 1:10 ratio of killer to survivors instead of a 1:4 ratio? We know that's the data statistic before the 6.1 update when killer was actually way better off than it is right now.

Let's look at the two big names in DBD streamers. Otz is the 10k hour guy who will camp, slug and tunnel to preserve his win streak or challenge. Otz is supposed to be the poster boy "nice guy" so that tells you DBD is in a bad spot.

Truetalent is a 9k hour player who gets frustrated by the game balance all the time and tries not to talk about it on stream (because he regularly plays far more difficult people than Otz).

-"Lets take a more holistic view of the mori change"

No how about we look at the factual evidence. Killer Moris do nothing and BNP's are still wickedly powerful. That's the status quo for DBD balance where killer gets obliterated and survivor gets a slap on the wrist.

• pseudechis
    Options

"A lot of this is unsubstantiated opinion being touted as fact"

Did you play in 2016? It was a complete joke. Look at the old killer vs survivor vault times and infinite windows. The only way we killed people reliably was NOED and the fact that ~15-20% of players tried to escape the hook in stage one so they immediately went to stage two (Where do these numbers come from this is what I mean by unsubstantiated opinion, you say we but I think you mean you, if you needed noed to get kills then great use noed then it's allowed).

Killer didn't get better really until bloodlust was added much much later. And then it was nerfed and DH got added.

DS HD Unbreakable and BT reigned supreme for like 3 years.

You do accept that things have more recently been changed to the positive of the killer player which kinda blows away your "they never consider how it feels to play killer" comment.

"Things got better and things got worse" - I didn't say it was all better but it is generally better than it was.

"Killer is fine - if you're playing the S tier killer at the time with meta perks. - I play trapper and Myers and have a great time, they are hardly "S tier" as people put it.

If I put you up against 10 comp squads in an "anything goes" format where I pick a weak killer for you to play you will be miserable." I probably won't win but yet again this is an unrealistic example because most players won't ever go against 10 comp squads in a row and it shouldn't take that kind of extreme experience to make your point, you say stop being a parrot but you keep continuing to make the same mistake every post.

Polly wants a cracker. I'm sure if you tied your hands behind your back and tried to play with your forehead it wouldn't be much fun either, but it doesn't make a very relevant point.

You said it was 1 step away from miserable which sounds pretty miserable, did you say it was miserable? well yeah you did, you also use miserable play experience as the main example point right above the bit where you ask did I say it was miserable. Its right there just look a paragraph up, I bolded it for you.

Your opinion of the game seems to be that the killer experience is pretty miserable.

Otz can play however he wants to play to maintain his streak its not an indicator of poor game health, and trutalent moans about swf all the time I don't think he's as objective about the game as you make him out to be. He strikes me as a bit of a sore loser.

"No how about we look at the factual evidence. Killer Moris do nothing and BNP's are still wickedly powerful. That's the status quo for DBD balance where killer gets obliterated and survivor gets a slap on the wrist." Why do BNP's and moris have to match each other in power?

Killer Moris do nothing, not a really a fact but they do do less than what they did

BNP's are still wickedly powerful. again an opinion, facts tend to be quantifiable, opinions tend to be vague wicked powerful as measure is an opinion. They definitely don't autocomplete a gen like they used to.

Patch 6.1 was a pretty big buff and QOL change for killers, which skewed the data back in the right direction reducing overall escapes. I liked most of it and don't think things were over tuned but like everything it tends to swing back and forth.

But to claim that survivors get it all and killers get nothing really isn't that accurate.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

As long as bodyblocking doesn't keep the player stuck infinitely or deny game progression like you mention blocking the only way to unhook then it's fair

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

I agree there shouldn't be rooms that only have one way in.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,667
    Options

I think there should be a mechanic where if 2 players are colliding for 10 or more seconds then they should both lose collision for 3 seconds. Notice that I said 2 players and not killer and survivor. There are rude survivors that like to body block other survivors for trolling purposes.